REMOVED

Author
Ognis
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5129
2006/12/01 11:22:02 (permalink)

REMOVED

Thanks to syrath (I spelled that right didn't I ?), I have a bit of a better grasp of project 5. Anyway, I thought I'd try to do a cover. It's not very good, but after hours, and hours, and hours of going though synths, and tring to find the right sounds, I just said forget it, and put it together with poor sounding synths. If I'd of spent a few weeks, I could of prob came up with the right sounds, but I didn't feel like it, this already took me 3 days.

So, I'm reday for "this sounds like crap", so fire away :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=588208

(click "Closer (Cover)" of course)

edit, btw Closer, was done by Nine Inch Nails, track 5 on the downward spiral.

post edited by Ognis - 2006/12/05 01:08:01

14 Replies Related Threads

opaque slogan
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1787
    RE: (cover) NIN - Closer <from the P5 forum> 2006/12/01 12:22:09 (permalink)
    Hey Ognis,
    this is difficult to judge because i know the song so well but i feel you should have added some of "you" into this to make up for the lack of vocals.
    There needs to be some lead instrumentation holding the interest of the listener, as it is it sounds like a backing track running with the singer out to lunch.
    A couple of the sounds lacked a fast enough attack, the bass sound suffered from this and messed with the timing ever so slightly.
    Otherwise everything was present and correct but i reckon you should have spent the time on another "Project."

Mario kart SC, Nintendo Gameboy advance SP, Screen magnifier.

www.myspace.com/opaqueslogan (pre-sonar, raw and nasty)
    Ognis
    RE: (cover) NIN - Closer <from the P5 forum> 2006/12/01 12:52:23 (permalink)
    Man, if I'd of sung, it'd really of been bad. My dog can sing better than I can. I didn't want to add any of my own "flava" to it, because really I was just testing myself as far as Project 5 goes (an ap I am tring to learn, because I of course use FL Studio).. Really, I was just having such a hard time finding the right synths, and I didn't add a single effect (I was tired of messing with it). Plus, this song didn't go though Sonar, like all my others do. Like I say, really it was just a test on my part. Thanks for the reply though.
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    RE: (cover) NIN - Closer <from the P5 forum> 2006/12/01 14:56:56 (permalink)
    HI, Ognis--I'd say this was a really good "test." I don't know why you say "poor sounding synths." Maybe they weren't exactly what you'd wanted to use, but it's not as if these are "bad" sounds.

I do want to say that 3 days isn't very long to work on a project. You don't want to work on a piece for weeks? Well, it usually takes weeks or longer to get something together, so I say, relax, go with the flow, and enjoy the trip. You're doing interesting stuff--Have patience.

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    sum01one
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: (cover) NIN - Closer <from the P5 forum> 2006/12/01 15:04:00 (permalink)
    I don't think it's a bad cover. Sounds like all of the instrumentation is represented, even if it's not quite the way you wanted it. You might put a modfilter on that bass with a slow moving LFO, and also give the hihat longer decay with higher resonance to make it sound more fake (or just use a different hi-hat).

Good job.

Ognis
    RE: (cover) NIN - Closer <from the P5 forum> 2006/12/01 23:52:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rbowser

HI, Ognis--I'd say this was a really good "test." I don't know why you say "poor sounding synths." Maybe they weren't exactly what you'd wanted to use, but it's not as if these are "bad" sounds.

I do want to say that 3 days isn't very long to work on a project. You don't want to work on a piece for weeks? Well, it usually takes weeks or longer to get something together, so I say, relax, go with the flow, and enjoy the trip. You're doing interesting stuff--Have patience.

Randy
    rbowser

rbowser, hey thanks! BUT, you only like it because you don't know the orignal. If you heard the NIN version (the real song), you'd think I was a gooy idiot for even tring

But, I do Apericate your comments, because I know this isn't your genere. So, I do look foward to your feedback.

I don't know if people actually realize though, how hard it is to do a cover of an electronic based song. Sure, an old analog rock song you can duplicate, as long as you know the chords... This.. I knew all the chords, yet it came out all feked up.. Why ? because I didn't have Trent saying, I used so and so synths, with so and so effect...

I know Trent R4eznor uses Battery exclusivly, so, the drums were done in Battery, and pertty much matched the real song (minus effects). But the rest ??? I know it sounded cheezy, but... I just didn't want to spend the time on a cover.

However... To those that downed it, I'd like to see how well you can do a cover of an electronica / indrustrual song

Trust me, it's not as easy as it looks.. You can know the chords all day long, but that means nothing
    Ognis
    RE: (cover) NIN - Closer <from the P5 forum> 2006/12/02 00:03:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: sum01one

I don't think it's a bad cover. Sounds like all of the instrumentation is represented, even if it's not quite the way you wanted it. You might put a modfilter on that bass with a slow moving LFO, and also give the hihat longer decay with higher resonance to make it sound more fake (or just use a different hi-hat).

Good job.

Hey thanks man. It's really hard to actually "duplicate" this. That's why, I thre it out with zero effects, and as is. If it was MY song, belive me, it wouldn't of came out like this, I'd of put some time into the mixing. thank you though, it means a great deal to me, when ppl that know the song, feel the chords played correctly, as that was the hardest part. Many thx.
    ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: (cover) NIN - Closer <from the P5 forum> 2006/12/02 02:36:42 (permalink)
    Ognis,

I am not familiar with the original song, so I can't offer any comparison or critique of how well "covered" the song is, but your piece is listenable and has a nice groove and vibe to it.

Bill
    Ognis
    RE: (cover) NIN - Closer <from the P5 forum> 2006/12/02 03:18:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ToneCarver

Ognis,

I am not familiar with the original song, so I can't offer any comparison or critique of how well "covered" the song is, but your piece is listenable and has a nice groove and vibe to it.

Bill

Hey, thanks
    Ognis
    RE: (cover) NIN - Closer <from the P5 forum> 2006/12/02 04:05:11 (permalink)
    mistake, oops
    post edited by Ognis - 2006/12/02 14:05:20
    Ognis
    RE: (cover) NIN - Closer <rbowser & others, real song avil> 2006/12/02 04:09:00 (permalink)
    mistake oops

post edited by Ognis - 2006/12/02 14:05:40
    chasekh
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 874
    RE: (cover) NIN - Closer <from the P5 forum> 2006/12/02 04:10:49 (permalink)
    Hi Ognis,I too haven't heard the original.But what you made sounded good to my ears.It was like some experimental music.The sound quality was good.I know how difficult it is to get the exact tones of the original stuff.I did an instrumental of a Korean song recently.I really suffered to get a synth sound and it took 3 days to finish.The musical content is very easy to copy.Not the exact tones.
    R.Chandrasekhar

Q9450,DX38BT mobo,17"&15"lcd sony,8gb ram 1333MHz,(512Mb),828 mk ii audio,Win 7(64) home premium.SONAR 8.5.3 Producer
    opaque slogan
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1787
    RE: (cover) NIN - Closer <from the P5 forum> 2006/12/02 08:24:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ognis

However... To those that downed it, I'd like to see how well you can do a cover of an electronica / indrustrual song

Is this a challenge?

Mario kart SC, Nintendo Gameboy advance SP, Screen magnifier.

www.myspace.com/opaqueslogan (pre-sonar, raw and nasty)
    everafter
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: (cover) NIN - Closer <rbowser & others, real song avil> 2006/12/02 10:56:02 (permalink)
    Hey Ognis, I'm a big NIN fan- and this was one of the songs that sold me on them when I was on the fence.

You picked a difficult song to pull off, especially one to do without the lyrics (the emotion makes it I think). Considering you did this in three days, and as a "feeler" project to get to know the program, I think you did a really good job. Congrats man!
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: (cover) NIN - Closer <from the P5 forum> 2006/12/02 16:03:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: opaque slogan

ORIGINAL: Ognis

Is this a challenge?

The gauntlet has been thrown!

Ognis, I like it. It's a bit tame compared to some of your other stuff, but learning a new platform as you are, it's easier perhaps with a cover song. That's how I got familiar with the new terrain of SHS4. Yeah, the second half drags on a little, but those on the dance floor won't care about that.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1