Rack Mount Mixer

Author
Insomniac
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 33
2005/09/14 08:36:50 (permalink)

Rack Mount Mixer

Hello everyone,

I just bought a new Studio RTA desk, and I am thinking about going all rackmount...mixer, effects processing...things like that, but I have Sonar, and I don't want to leave. Also, I just want a mixer...not interested in the MOTU....Just a mixer that I can connect to my M-Audio Audiophile 2496 mixer. What is the best idea...I was kinda looking at Behringer RX1602 Eurorack...But I am not sure. Any ideas and help would be great. Thanks.

"I never think of the future - it comes soon enough." -Albert Einstein

"I don't know anything about music. In my line you don't have to." -Elvis Presley

8 Replies Related Threads

tor
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 852
    RE: Rack Mount Mixer 2005/09/14 14:01:06 (permalink)
    M-Audio 2496 mixer?
    How many outputs does your soundcard have?
    Unless you have a bunch of analog outputs and get an analog desk, or use digital outputs(if your card has) with a digital desk, there's no point.
    If you're not thinking mic preamps to record multiple sound sources simultaneously?
    netstat
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 323
    RE: Rack Mount Mixer 2005/09/14 15:04:15 (permalink)
    I guess you could use it for hardware effects bussing, headphone mixes, hell, a hardware monitor volume knob would be almost worth it, a talkback mic if you were tracking someone else in a defferent room.

I could think of a few way you could use it if you had it but I would agree it's not the most bang for your buck if you're starting out.

What part of Norway are you from, tor?

Mahalo, Jan
    tor
    RE: Rack Mount Mixer 2005/09/14 15:29:53 (permalink)
    From the southeast, about 90 km south of Oslo, close to the Swedish boarder, a small city called Fredrikstad.
    Familiar with Norway, been on vacation or something?
    Insomniac
    RE: Rack Mount Mixer 2005/09/15 05:02:47 (permalink)
    Sorry, I meant M-audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard...it is:

2 x 2 analog I/O
    S/PDIF digital I/O with 2-channel PCM
    1 x 1 MIDI I/O.

Right now I have a Behringer UB-1204 mixer with the Alt 3/4 outs going to the soundcard, R being 1 channel, L being 2 channel, But before the channels reach the soundcard they go through a Behringer MDX 1400 dynamic processor. And then the soundcard output coming into the 5/6 channel for monitoring...I also have my Event TR5's connect to the monitor output of thye mixer. I only use One mic channel, for vocals, everything else I do I can do through the computer...All that I am looking for right now is to replace the UB-1204 with a small rackmount mixer...That is what I am trying to do. Maybe I am just dreaming...but I would like to have a set up that was all rackmount...
    post edited by Insomniac - 2005/09/15 05:09:25

"I don't know anything about music. In my line you don't have to." -Elvis Presley
    tor
    RE: Rack Mount Mixer 2005/09/15 08:20:10 (permalink)
    If you don't use more than one input you don't need a mixer, your money would be better spent on a mic preamp.
    That way you'd get a signal chain like this: Mic>Mic preamp>Behringer compressor>Soundcard.
    Furthermore, you could connect your monitors directly to your soundcard's outputs.
    But if rackmounting is really important to you, then run a search on Google or something, there are a ton of possibilities out there.
    If I was in your situation, I'd trade the UB1204 in for a mic-preamp, cause that's the only thing you need your mixer for, the mic-preamps, so why not get a better one??
    netstat
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 323
    RE: Rack Mount Mixer 2005/09/15 09:18:22 (permalink)
    I agree 100% with tor's suggestions.

I'd go with a different rackmount preamp. For about the amount of money you are talking about spending, I'd go with a ART DPS II.

That would give you 2 more inputs because it has spdif outputs, some tube warmth for variety, and a limiter to keep from clipping on the way in (use very sparingly).

Plus it has combination XLR 1/4" inputs on the front (and impedance matching) so you could use it as a direct box for recording guitars or bass straight in.

So you'd get more inputs, more flexibility, and more variety of sounds.

Tor, my dad's from Svelvik. Last time I was there I was 12, but I still have family there and I'd like to visit again soon.

Mahalo, Jan
    tor
    RE: Rack Mount Mixer 2005/09/15 09:41:17 (permalink)
    Yes, I know Svelvik, been there many times, was there every summer when I was younger, my parents had some friends there.
    Nowadays a friend of mine lives a ten minute drive north of there, so I've been there fishing quite often.
    And of course, he's a pianist, so we jam together now and then too.
    Svelvik is about a one hour drive from Fredrikstad, just across the fjord.
    It's indeed worth a visit, a nice, quiet and beautiful little place.
    post edited by tor - 2005/09/15 09:51:47
    Insomniac
    RE: Rack Mount Mixer 2005/09/15 10:47:38 (permalink)
    I thank you for all your fast replies. I have been thinking about going just a Mic Pre...but I do like to use a cd player sometimes...so I like the flexibility of the mixer like control...kinda why I still have the UB-1204....I think I found what I am looking for...

http://artproaudio.com/products.asp?id=91&cat=11&type=88

And I have seen these sell for $160 + S&H...

Or I might just keep the set-up that I have for now...and upgrade a little later...I am unsure. Once again thanx for all the help.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1