Helpful Reply"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome)

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/05 22:13:09 (permalink)
this is cool, jules!  I like this tune much better than the other two.  really great work on this!  bravo!

EDIT:  in fact I REALLY like this one!  it has a cool hook that I was replaying over and over in my head long after finishing listening to it!  very good work!
post edited by Beagle - 2011/05/05 22:20:01

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
julibee
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2826
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/06 15:31:10 (permalink)
Wookiee!  That's a LOT of smilies!  YAY!  :D

Grazia, Craig - REALLY nice to know you liked it! 

Hi, Bob!  Good to see you!  Thanks for your nice thoughts - It's not at all certain what will happen at this point.  I don't think that her doctors even have thoughts one way or another - that's the way it seems, at least.  What kills me is thinking about her 6 -year old daughter... and the absolute randomness of it all.  My friend takes better care of herself than nearly anyone else I know (organic vegetarian, yoga, etc), and yet.... She's also the sweetest person I know.  ARRRRGH!

Geno, That means so much - of course, there are differing opinions on my vibrato, and in truth, I have to very much concentrate on not letting it get out of control, becasue it would be SO much easier just to have it going full blast all the time... but that's just not the way.. ;)

Everyone... There is a new mix.  Tomas is very much in favor of keeping the doubling, but he has backed off of it quite a bit.  While not perfect, it makes a difference. He did try a few other things as well, but at the end of the day, I think we are just going to let it go... We could probably work on this for weeks,and/or hand it off to someone else to see what they can do, but I'm not sure how much time I actually have before I offer it to my friend...

As an artist, both a musician and a 3D artist (I'm also a potter for those that don't know), I've accepted that the perfection I hear in my mind usually isn't possible and sometimes it's the IMperfections that make something special.  But if you are inclined to listen (it's only very subtly different, with the final chorus being the main difference), it's on Tomas's site here:

http://www.perfectbounce.se/ba4.mp3 (FIXED)

I think this is my best to date.  I'm so very happy I got a chance to share it, and so thankful to all of you who listened.  It's truly special to me for so many reasons...
post edited by julibee - 2011/05/14 12:08:05

She who must be obeyed. ***New and Improved with a Scarlett 8i6!***
Soundcloud     www.juliannamcduffie.com
chrome
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 87
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/08 06:34:39 (permalink)
Hi all, and thank you for your encoureaging (how DO you spell that??) words, along with some very useful input.

I got the opportunity to listen to this song in its early stage, when there was the vox, and a piano I think.  The melodies really hit me like a rock, and i thought about this a bit more airy, light arrangement, but with some carefully choosen ba-booms on pianos and other stuff.

J described it very visual to me ho she got the inspiration, so my thought is that the inimate "in-you face"-whispering quality of the first lines is like J and her friends is in a room where this special friend comes in, and J whispers "look, she is radiant as the sun..." and so on.

Being a song about something terrible, it definetely needs to have a positive arrangement, with the pads and arpeggio-ish synths in there. To get the strength needed to put some energy into to it, the beats and piano and the analogue base in the last chorus are quite heavy, giving the message a driving force.

I think it came out pretty good in the end, i can find myself just listening to the melodies and the vox that i think is SO perfect for this occation.

I agree with comments on song mix, and we might still consider a re-take on the FX-package, but now i think it will just rest for a while. One idea i have is to send it to my good griend at Pm Studio for mastering, and then try to perhaps play it to various cancer funds, and see if they would like to use it someway.

A big thanks to J for letting me do this song, it was pure pleasure =)

Again, thanks for all feedback on the song and mix, its highly appreciated. Having just (oh hey, its over 8 months ago!) been blessed with another child in the family, free time to catach up with various internet activities seems a rare commodity these days, but I'll try to listen around again in the song forum whenever there is a chance =)

Greetings from a sunny Sweden!

void
ohgrant
Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3966
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/08 20:01:37 (permalink)
 Wonderful ear candy! Never get enough of that angelic voice. An awesome job on the composition and production as well. Love those sub lows.

Me

marcos69
Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4950
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/08 23:33:58 (permalink)
Hi Julianna.  Really excellent work.  Great lyrics.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/10 18:08:51 (permalink)

Hey Jules, this is just awesome

The lyrics are just superb, and your delivery is so moving.

Excellent stuff.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

julibee
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/10 19:30:50 (permalink)
Oh, Hey! I missed these! Thanks, Grant (I lurrrve those subs, too... Especially really late at night, with headphones). Hi, Mark! Strummy, thank you, m'dear. :)

chrome
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/14 07:45:19 (permalink)
Grant, Marco Steve, thank you.

J, the link is wrong, it shall be : www.perfectbounce.se/ba4.mp3

not .com =)

void
malcolmb
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 713
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/14 09:46:52 (permalink)
Just so very occasionally, you find a song amongst the many millions on the web that speaks to the heart and touches the soul. This is one. I cannot remember ever being touched so deeply by a song. Perfection.

Best Regards
Malcolm

HS 7 XL
XP Prof.
4 GB memory
GPO, VSL, Music Lab Real Guitar/LPC, EWQLSC, Vocaloid Miriam/Avanna 
Soundcard - Marian Marc 4 Midi

www.soundclick.com/malcolmbrown
www.soundclick.com/lylemusic
www.youtube.com/user/LyleMusic
julibee
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/14 20:33:04 (permalink)
malcolmb

Just so very occasionally, you find a song amongst the many millions on the web that speaks to the heart and touches the soul. This is one. I cannot remember ever being touched so deeply by a song. Perfection.

Best Regards
Malcolm

Well, heavens, Malcomb!  That was such a lovely thing to read.  So very glad you happened upon it, and that it struck a chord.  Really, that's all I could ever ask for.  You've made my day...

mgh
  • Total Posts : 8594
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/16 08:13:29 (permalink)
excellent J! much poppier than a lot, it reminds me of some pop song in the sound at times (is it Natalie Imbruglia? Kylie Minogue? or something older like Everything But the Girl? can't quite place it...)
superb production and singing.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
julibee
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/16 12:11:12 (permalink)
Hi Mark! Yeah, more pop... But wanted it to be accessible to my friend. I doubt she would go for some of the other things I'vd done, honestly. We've heard people say it reminded them of Erasure and that sort of thing, but if you want to call it Eveything But the Girl, well, that's just fine with me. :). Thanks for listening!

Alegria
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2075
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/19 13:18:53 (permalink)
Excellent production all around. Felt it in my guts, and that says it all. Thank you J. and bravo!
Tap
Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4536
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/19 22:58:50 (permalink)
This is incredibly well done. Top notch production. Your voice fits this song like a glove. I have to agree with Danny in that when the song starts to pick up your voice still sounds really flat in front ( Which is really fine and good ) but it starts to stand out a bit too much and really wants to fit in better with what's happening in the song. I think it would bring the production quality up a notch if a touch of vocal treatment were used in this case, like makeup ... only enough so that you don't really notice it, except when it's missing! One of my favorites of yours, though. I thought your performance was perfecto!!!!

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

cryophonik
Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4724
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/19 23:03:30 (permalink)
It looks like I'm a little late to the party here, but I'm glad this was thread was up front when I stopped in!  Julibee - awesome work by both you and Tomas!  The song and your voice are gorgeous as always.  It's got a nice touch of chilled out triphop going, just the sort of stuff I love to listen to.  Definitely my favorite piece from you.  Pass my compliments on to Tomas as well, OK?!  Thanks!

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

Janet
  • Total Posts : 8094
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/21 23:23:57 (permalink)
Absolutely beautiful, you two.  Lovely song and sentiment and so perfectly sung.  :)
julibee
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/23 12:10:57 (permalink)
Can you believe I almost missed these??  GAH!  Thought we'd fallen off the first page...

Thanks, JC!  We did throw our hearts and souls into this one, with good reason.  :)

Tap and Cryo, I can't tell you how nice it is to hear such great things from people I so admire.  Really.  I've been overwhelmed by the response to this, from both my Cake friends and the woman for whom it was written.  She just blogged about listening to it through the nights of her treatments, when everything was unbearable... I couldn't ask for anything more.  I think we WILL work on the vox a little more, as T noted, but I think we've found someone to master it in the end, and hope to pass it along to a charity if they would have it.  We'll see how that works out.

Thanks, Janet.  So nice to know you liked it!  :D

GuitarBob
  • Total Posts : 60
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/24 15:11:58 (permalink)

Excellent singing julibee!!! And a great production also!

Excellent on everything!!!

GuitarBob

chrome
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/27 16:17:06 (permalink)
malcolmb: wow, that was very nice to read. thanks a lot!

mgh: I think it is a bit erasure-ish =) Its good though, that its not too obvious what it is simlilar to, so we have not obviously stolen the whole sound :D

Thanks for the nice words!

alegira: to hear that it is felt in your guts makes it all worthwhile. Thank you!

Tap: Thanks for the positive words, and also for that valuable feedback. I agree we should do something to make the vox marry the rest of teh song alittle, but i run into trouble everytime i try, so it might take a while. It seems to me that the "sence of urgency" gets a bit lost wheneevr i touch the fx sends, so i have to be gentle =)

cryophonik: Thank you thank you =)

Janet: Yes, she nailed this vox, didnt she? thanks =)

guitarbob: excellent is a word that sounds nice to me. Thank you!!!

Its so overwhelming to hear all the positive words about the work! It totally makes the whole thing meaningful, and gives energy to spend some more hours in the studio.

Thank you everyone for input, and we will post updated version...if i somehow manage to fix the voxmix =)

void
geeare1
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1906
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/27 17:08:08 (permalink)
Hi Julianna,

Wow...this is fantastic!!

Beautiful song, lyrics and production and your voice is just perfect!

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/28 21:39:27 (permalink)
Hah!  Now that is radiant radiance (to my ears)!

At 2:55: "She will not ... fight alone" is a 'human gasp' which you may have intended in the throws of love and justice.

Your songs keep getting more and more 'to die for' (as most here have alluded). 

Again, my fav of yours to date.

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
julibee
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/29 12:56:07 (permalink)
Thank you Bobby and Gary... Phillip, I'm thoroughly convinced that Tomas is either a genius or a magician or both. This is my favorite of my "pop" songs, too... But I gotta tell you, the one were working on right now makes me swoon. :)

alkie
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2706
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/29 16:02:34 (permalink)
This is an "AMAZINGLY" Beautiful song...nice one Julibee...and I don`t know why but it made me think of Chariots of Fire.

Whoa.... to you ...oh...earth and sea...
for the devil sends the beast with wrath.....
because he knows the time is short.....
let him who hath understanding.....
reckon the number of the beast.....
for it is a human number...
it`s number is.....

So if JESUS rose from the DEAD
Does that mean he`s the ORIGINAL ZOMBIE?
Chappel
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2300
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/29 19:53:24 (permalink)
Pretty cool tune. Sounds a LOT better than what many music "superstars" are putting out these days.
thepogue
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2458
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/29 20:10:27 (permalink)
wow....I LOVE this tune!! Great job all the way round!! you really really killed this one J...fantastic!!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1