Helpful Reply"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
julibee
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2826
2011/05/03 16:35:35 (permalink)

"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome)

I promised BayouBill I'd post this... So here it is. (MWAH, Bill!)

Well, he's done it again.   Tomas has turned my nice chord progressions into something MUCH bigger and dimensional.  ANd then he does something, I'm not quite sure what, to make me sound so nice.  I'm in such awe of his super-powers... 

We've decided that the very final chorus doubling will be pulled back a bit.  But for now, here it is.

OH!  Featuring the much talked about debut of me on my saxophone....   First time for everything.... :)

Backstory:  It's not good.  Sad.  Close friend diagnosed for the second time with Osteosarcoma.   Apparently it was mistreated the first time around, as she found out at a visit to the Mayo Clinic during an extremely cold and awful week in January.  She returned home to San Diego, and posted on her blog how wonderful it felt to be back in the San Diego sun as she stepped out of the airport.  And that's where I took my inspiration.  What else can one do but write a song?

Soudclick http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10598045

Better Quality from T's site:  http://www.perfectbounce.se/ba3.mp3

EDIT 5-6-11  Tomas is very much in favor of keeping the doubling, but he has backed off of it quite a bit.  While not perfect, it makes a difference. He did try a few other things as well, but at the end of the day, I think we are just going to let it go... We could probably work on this for weeks,and/or hand it off to someone else to see what they can do, but I'm not sure how much time I actually have before I offer it to my friend...

As an artist, both a musician and a 3D artist (I'm also a potter for those that don't know), I've accepted that the perfection I hear in my mind usually isn't possible and sometimes it's the IMperfections that make something special.  But if you are inclined to listen (it's only very subtly different, with the final chorus being the main difference), it's on Tomas's site here: 
http://www.perfectbounce.com/ba4.mp3

post edited by julibee - 2011/05/06 15:33:23

She who must be obeyed. ***New and Improved with a Scarlett 8i6!***
Soundcloud     www.juliannamcduffie.com
bayoubill
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10899
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/03 17:09:45 (permalink)
mmmmm, I'm your biggest fan Julilbee!!!! When you say you're going to deliver YOU DELIVER. Having been through the whole cancer routine and knowing . Thank you from the heart. AWESOME!

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/03 17:22:35 (permalink)
Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Nice Jules.
philz
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2462
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/03 17:58:02 (permalink)
Wow, Jules, that was spectacular.  What a tender song, all the more so knowing the story behind it.  I can definitely feel Tomas' skillful hand on the track which fits the song like a glove, and your performance is just incredible.  I'm impressed anew every time I hear you sing.

Beautifully done- writing, performance, production... it's all there.
CLEAN
  • Total Posts : 2842
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/03 21:15:31 (permalink)
Julianna - magnificent. I really love this.

THE PUGTONES
Mark
arlen2133
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 601
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/03 21:17:15 (permalink)
Hey Julie,
What can I say?  I've been on your SC site more then a notion this week.  With the sax story and all, I've been playing "Julie catch up" all weekend.
Although this is a really sad song, you (and Tomas) have found a way to keep the emotion in the song without overwhelming me.  It's a beautifully written song with lots of depth.  Your voice is gorgeous and the production is expert!  Everything came across so smoothly. 
Great job!!!!

Arlen
aka
Mr Grant
my music

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum (2017.09) & X3e , Windows 7 64 bit, Intel I5 3.4 Ghz, 32 Gbs RAM, Saffire Pro40, various pres and VSTi's.

Scottytunes
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5695
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/03 21:43:35 (permalink)
This is beautiful for sure, but sadly, the vox get a bit burried in the 1st two choruses.

String Jammer
darylcrowley
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2700
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/03 22:02:48 (permalink)
You always deliver what I've come to expect... excellent work.

Very nice, very easy to listen to... very pretty.

Excellent lyrics!  Well chosen.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
Windows 7 64bit Professional
Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
http://www.darylcrowley.com/
notnat
Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5236
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/03 22:12:06 (permalink)
Lovely heartfelt tune... well done...
julibee
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/03 23:10:04 (permalink)
Bill, Thanks for being my number one fan.  :)

Bapu, Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very nice of you to say so. 

Phil, you'd asked on FB if I'd release my original and T's version so you could listen to them side by side.  SImple truth is that I forgot about whatever sad little arrangement I'd come up with the moment I heard what T had done.  I think it had a bunch of poorly devised strings, though.  And probably way too much gushy gush.  Yeah.  I'm sure of it.  I think I'll just leave that one alone...

Ah!  Arlen!  Thanks for introducing yourself - I had just noticed you poking around, but didn't put two and two together.... Hey!  We're practically neighbors!  Although I used to be even closer - lived in Temecula for 2 years.... Glad you have been enjoying things.  Hope to see more of you.

Hey there, Mark, my friend!  Thank you!  So glad! 

Will pass that on, Scotty!  Thanks for the ears!

Thanks, Daryl - I was trying hard to convey the sweetness of the woman without making it overwrought, as is so easily done if you are a Julianna.... :)  That means alot that yo mentioned the lyrics.

And a "well done" from Frank... I can go to bed happy tonight!

evadianepug
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4477
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/03 23:31:49 (permalink)

Hello my little chickadee!  Como esta how ju bean?  I was looking for your email last week somehow it didn't show up.  I was wondering how you've been.  Well, this tells me that though sadness was the motivation, it brought a bit of beauty into the world.  Beautiful tune and your voice never sounded better.  Well, maybe once.  :-)  Nicwe job by all involved.  Great to hear you sing, Julianna!!!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
THE PUGTONES
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
SonarX3
57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/03 23:35:35 (permalink)
Great song and performance, Julibee.
This should be on the radio.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
Old55
  • Total Posts : 19791
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/03 23:41:23 (permalink)
Bravo!!!  Very nice. 

Should auld acquaintance be forgot--hey, who the hell are you guys?  

X2(X3 pending hardware upgrade), Emulator X2, E-mu 1212M, Virtual String Machine
Mooch4056
Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7494
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/04 00:30:12 (permalink)

Four comments 

1. Well you're singing is aways realy really good - and the melody is awesome - and who could NOT feel the warmth here you have for the inspiration from your friend. That's awesome.

2. The $8000 saxophone in the background sounded as if it was heat or pain - but kinda fit the song .. maybe it was intentional ?  breath support is just as important with saxophone as it is singing -  of course I was a tenor saxophone major in college and I have a mark VI selmer worth about 9k - so take it with a grain of salt  - it was fine - sorta - well no 

3. I had a moment in time in the middle of the song that made me think of the Movie - "Flash Dance"  and the poster of the girl sitting -- like the picture below - I got a little chubby going in that section 

4. very well done song overall - it was better than Cats - I am going to see it - again and again 

post edited by Mooch4056 - 2011/05/04 00:31:41

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

arlen2133
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 601
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/04 01:31:10 (permalink)
Temecula!  I have relatives there!  Beautiful wine country for sure! 
Yes, it was me "poking around"  After the sax post (which I played through high school so I could totally relate), I figured I had to see for myself.  Wasn't disappointed in the least bit.  You have a great voice and great writing skills.  Since I'm basically new to posting (been a Sonar since Sonar3), it's been a blast to learn some of the tricks everyone has come up with.  I just hope to be like you guys when I grow up...haha!

Arlen
aka
Mr Grant
my music

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum (2017.09) & X3e , Windows 7 64 bit, Intel I5 3.4 Ghz, 32 Gbs RAM, Saffire Pro40, various pres and VSTi's.

Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/04 01:45:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Juli this is an awesome song! I really enjoyed this, especially your voice. Speaking of that, I'd like to give you a few comments if you don't mind listening to me? I even asked Philz on the phone tonight if he thought I'd be out of line in bringing a few things to your attention because sometimes people take me the wrong way and I sincerely would never do anything to intentionally upset you. Phil told me you're a wonderful person and you'd probably enjoy what I had to say as long as I didn't deliver it like a Richard Cranium...which I'd never do anyway. LOL! :) I know, there always has to be some dweeb with something to say, right? LOL! Honest, I'm just trying to help and do not mean anything maliciously...I really think you're great! Again, just suggestions here...

1. You mentioned something about pulling the dub voices down in your initial post. My question to you is, do you think you really need that extra voice at all? The reason being...I think you have a lovely voice that could be thickened a bit with effects without using the double vocal thing. I'll explain what I'm talking about a bit. When someone does the double voice thing, they have to hit that as spot on as possible or it can become a bit disonant...which I felt you got a little of in this.

Ever hear Ozzy (no, I swear I'm not comparing you to Ozzy...you obliterate him as a singer!) do this on his records? He's probably not physically capable of singing his part exact...so they leave it loose and it sounds loose. That vocal disonance just has always bothered me. Yours isn't bad, but if you want to go this route, maybe give that double voice in the end another listen and see if you hear what I hear. If you do, and are dead set on having it there, maybe see if you can get it a bit closer to the vocal you want to keep. I just personally think your voice is thick enough as is to where you may not need this particular effect...but that of course is up to you. :)

2. Speaking of effects, I love how your voice is dry on the intimate parts. Don't change a thing there! However, I think that awesome voice could benefit from some vocal processing on the more powerful parts when the band kicks in. Things to wetten it up a bit...maybe widen it slightly...there are some cool tools you can use that just bring out your voice more and add to the already killer dynamics you have. It just sounds a bit dry to me in the power parts...if that makes sense?

3. One other thing I noticed is, in some parts, your voice seems to get a bit low volume wise especially when the music gets more intense. It's not inaudible or anything, but for someone like me that doesn't know the words or what is coming next, I found myself really struggling to hear some of the lyrics at times. Some vocal automation would be an awesome addition or maybe even a bit more compression in spots.

I hope the above doesn't offend you as it honestly wasn't my intention. I'm one of those intense guys that probably lives this stuff a bit too much and I try my best to give some advice to those that may be looking for it. Some people post songs on here to just share them and may not want feedback. If that's what you did, please forgive me for my opinion and the novel. :) 

Others post their material to get some feedback as well as the sharing part, so when I hear something, I figure it's best to try and help over just saying "great job" and walking away when in fact I heard things I might be able to help with. I sincerely enjoyed the song and think you're great. The concept is awesome and Tomas did a great job with this also. I'm glad you got your sax back...that was a great story...and it was nice to hear it here. I look forward to hearing more material from you! Thanks for sharing, I hope you're not mad at me for my comments and I really do think you're fantastic. :)

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
julibee
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/04 02:29:24 (permalink)
Danny, I absolutely welcome comments like this! I'm here to learn and get feedback and grow (although it is simply nice to know that someone is listening to something I made). So, thank you. Really.

I had not initially thought to double the last chorus at all-- I think we were just trying to build that last passage a little more. We will probably try something else... Not to mention work on bring some of those vocal parts. I sincerely appreciate your comments, and am glad to officially meet you! :)

Warren!  Hi, you!  Nice to see your smilin' face! Thank you!  :)

Greg, 55 - Thanks, guys!

Mooch, Yeah, I was trying too hard there.  I think you're absolutely right.  I was glad T cut out as much as he did, to be honest.  I was considering scrapping it all together... I'm just, uhhhh... gonna leave #4 alone.... :D
post edited by julibee - 2011/05/04 02:35:41

Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/04 08:25:20 (permalink)

JB this is such a touching and sensitive delivery. 

It's made even stronger and delicate by the brave choice of tempo and the 'Eyes of Lucy Jordan' airy spatial quality of the synth allows it to be so slow without it becoming a stodgy dirge.

The doubled parts are certainly the right points of emphasis but I'd agree with Danny, and yourself that the vox need some different kind of treatment to bring them out to the best advantage there.

My, oh my though I sure picked the right day to visit the songs forum there is an embarrasment of riches here today and this certainly stands up as being right up there with the best.

A really courageous and beautifully performed track.

Bravo

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/04 10:31:14 (permalink)
Very nice!  Good job!  It's been awhile since I've had sax before breakfast.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
jamesyoyo
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3460
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/04 11:34:24 (permalink)
This was terrific.  Nice restrained singing, interesting Tangerine Dream take on the arrangement.  Liked the beatz quite a bit. Piano sounds great. With the subject matter it reminded me so much of what Rundgren was going for with his Healing  album.

The only thing I would change is to take everything back a little. A bit too much in your face, when a more distant, Enya-like (no offense!) mix might suit the mood a tad more.
No How
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5180
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/04 11:37:27 (permalink)
Hi Juibee,

It's clear you put a lot of heart into this.  Very moving.  Enjoyed the production a lot...only nit is the doubled vocals at the end sounded too pop for the rest of the very intimate arrangement.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
Mooch4056
Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7494
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/04 13:58:43 (permalink)
I was glad T cut out as much as he did, to be honest.

Who is T? You want me to go kick his ass for you or anything ?

If the "T" character or anyone for that matter  messes with you let me know.... I'll take care of it -  capiche?

forghettaboutit! 

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

twisted6s
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2001
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/04 14:29:24 (permalink)
Awesome girl!!!

Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 ghz processor, 8 gig ram, 2.5Tb drives, Sonar Platinum, Lynx L22, FMR Audio RNP & RNC, Mackie HR824, Neumann tlm 103, Window 10 64
https://soundcloud.com/twisted6s/sets/tony-pruden

julibee
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/04 14:34:57 (permalink)
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Easy there, Paulie Walnuts! He's no Paisan, but still... A stand-up guy. I hear he likes a good baked Ziti and everything. Fuhgeddabbouddit! (T=Tomas, the producer/musician that seems to be my separated-at-birth, Swedish twin brother)

JonBouy, I will now commence frantically searching for "Eyes of Lucy Jordan"... Thank you.  :)

No offense taken, James - One of my college roomates had several Enya albums, and I quite appreciate what she does.  I may not choose to throw it on the stereo myself, but would if she had some nice trip-hop running underneath it.  Now THERE'S an idea..... ;)

Craig, NoHow, Sweet Tony - THANK YOU!  So good to see all of you again!
post edited by julibee - 2011/05/04 14:53:02

Wookiee
Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
  • Total Posts : 13306
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/04 15:54:04 (permalink)
There is nothing I can say except.

post edited by Wookiee - 2011/05/04 18:51:45

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/04 18:32:14 (permalink)
Wonderful tune. Production is stellar.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/04 19:30:26 (permalink)
Hi Juli, nice to meet you too. Thanks for accepting my comments...I'm glad I didn't upset you. :)

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Crg
  • Total Posts : 7719
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/04 19:54:33 (permalink)
Beautiful Julibee! You never cease to amaze.

Craig DuBuc
Bob Oister
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2766
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/05 04:55:52 (permalink)
Hey, Julianna,

How are you? Doing great, I hope!

This is really an excellent, extremely well written song, and your emotionally haunting vocals sound truly spectacular!  Thomas also did a fantastic job on the production work.

I'll definitely have your friend in my prayers, and hope that she has a speedy recovery.

Really great work on this, have a good one!
Bob

guitartrek
  • Total Posts : 2842
Re:"Radiant" produced by Tomas Barkman (Chrome) 2011/05/05 07:24:39 (permalink)
Julibee - that was awesome!  Your voice is so nice and pure, and I love your expressive vibrato!   You've got such great control and connection with your breath, and your notes are supported to the very end of each phrase.  Some singers (like me) have to really work on that while it seems this comes totally natural to you.  Great dynamic control and expression.

The recording and production is excellent - this sounds like it could be on a commercial CD.  I like Danny's comments (he always has great advice).  And James has an interesting suggestion about moving everything back - that could make the song sound even more angelic.

Beautiful song too.  I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

Geno
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1