Radio Tuner Plugin

Author
DaveClark
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 956
2008/06/02 00:48:36 (permalink)

Radio Tuner Plugin

Greetings all,

Some time ago, someone inquired about how to generate the radio noise one hears when tuning from one station to another. I posted a description of a plugin that would do this automagically. Because there seemed to be no interest, naturally I thought that this would be a good project for a plugin (low support load!!).

The basic idea behind this plugin is line up several short clips in a track, leaving variable amounts of space between them. Then fade each clip in and out depending on the sound you want to simulate a station playing that clip. Set the threshold parameter (Thresh) so that the static cuts in and out as you wish, and adjust the gain.

By manipulating the clip fades, fade type (e.g. Linear, Fast, Slow), clip gain, and Thresh, you can simulate fading in quickly or slowly, weak stations where the static cuts in and out while it's playing, etc. By adding EQ you can simulate smaller speakers such as on small AM radios.

I should mention that this plugin is *ON* in some hosts all the time, so generates static all the time. SONAR is not one of those, but P5 is. Although I check kVstTransportPlaying, it appears that some hosts are always playing (?). Any suggestions to improve this behavior would be appreciated. I simply mute it, just like turning the volume down on a real radio when in-between stations.

The radio static is recorded static, not generated. It loops at two seconds for 44,100 and 48,000 samples/sec and at one second for 88,200 and 96,000 samples/sec. The two loops (high and low sample rates) are different, however.

Radio Tuner Plugin

Examples of use --- one serious and one for laughs:

Radio Tuner Example Clip

Radio Tuner as Instrument in Drum Loop

Regards,
Dave Clark

On Edit: I discovered that I had used an incorrect compiler switch on the first version, creating a dependence on a library (/MD versus /MT thing). If you downloaded the plugin prior to 0500 CDT on 02 June 2008, please re-download if you find that the plugin did not work on your system. I also officially changed the Unique ID, so this one is a different plugin as far as hosts are concerned. In the future, I'll try to remember to do that first!

post edited by DaveClark - 2008/06/02 05:59:31

3 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Radio Tuner Plugin 2008/06/02 01:36:19 (permalink)
    Dave,

cool. I'll have to give it a try as soon as I get a free moment.

@

Edit,

I have used the real thing - sampling, when I was up north in scotland many years ago. I had a cassette/radio portable we used in a show and got some classic radio wanderings. Bits of music, football scores (the english kind), Russian propaganda (in English, this was cold war days).

I listened to your demo and think it could use some spoken, radio type vo.
    post edited by AT - 2008/06/02 02:00:55

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    DaveClark
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 956
    RE: Radio Tuner Plugin 2008/06/02 06:02:26 (permalink)
    Hi AT,

Yes, I considered doing a voice, something along the lines of "...well, you may have been to Area 51 and seen the aliens, but..." fading in and out.

Please see my note about re-downloading. I'm truly sorry about any inconvenience.

Regards,
    Dave Clark

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Radio Tuner Plugin 2008/06/02 10:25:49 (permalink)
    Dave,

actually, thinking about it, it would probably be best to just drop in new VOs - keep it evergreened. It should be fun to play with.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1