Radio signals when recording - ANOTHER UPDATE

Author
Peter Rabbit
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1305
2005/09/06 13:15:55 (permalink)

Radio signals when recording - ANOTHER UPDATE

My keyboard pics up radio signals when recording from the audio outputs of the keyboard. These radio signals are then recorded onto the track.

The audio outputs of the keyboard are RCA plugs, therefore the cord I am using to connect my keyboard to my soundcard is an RCA cord which is not a balanced cord. I've been using 1/4" adapters to connect the RCA cord to my soundcard.

Is there a way to eliminate the radio signal with my current setup? Perhaps using two 1/4" balanced cords, instead of RCA cords, with RCA adapters on one end of each of the balanced cords to connect them to the left and right outputs of the keyboard? (Or would the RCA adapters connected to balanced cords convert them to unbalanced cords at that point?)

Can anyone offer any suggestions?
post edited by Peter Rabbit - 2005/09/08 11:20:54

"Creating a bad song takes just as much time and energy as creating a good one. The problem is that you don't know it's a bad song until someone tells you, and by then it's too late."
P. Rabbit

29 Replies Related Threads

ColinB52
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 303
    RE: Radio signals when recording 2005/09/06 13:23:12 (permalink)
    Peter,

Keyboard? Is this your PC keyboard, or something else?

Radio signals? A local station? Can you determine which radio station it is?
    And what frequency it broadcasts on?

Do you get the same signals with nothing connected to your soundcards, if you
    try and record with the input gain levels turned up?

Sorry for all the questions, but it could be many things.

Regards,
    Colin.
    Peter Rabbit
    RE: Radio signals when recording 2005/09/06 13:32:06 (permalink)
    Hi ColinB52. Thanks for the reply.

The keyboard is a musical keyboard instrument. Yamaha PSR-520

I don't really know what station is being picked up. It's a hispanic station and I assume it is local. Don't know if it's FM or AM.

The only time I get these signals is when I am recording audio from my Yamaha keyboard. So I know the keyboard is the origin of the radio signals. Microphone recording is fine and recording an empty track with the gain levels up is also fine. It definately has something to do with the keyboard. I just assumed it probably has something to do with the cables because they're not balanced cables.

"Creating a bad song takes just as much time and energy as creating a good one. The problem is that you don't know it's a bad song until someone tells you, and by then it's too late."
    P. Rabbit
    dcastle
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2623
    RE: Radio signals when recording 2005/09/06 13:34:00 (permalink)
    Greetings Peter,

RFI --- radio frequency interference is an awful enemy. That stuff sneaks in where it's least expected.

EDIT: This kind of interference is always a local AM radio station. The amplitude modulated signal gets rectified by a diode (just like the crystal radios of yesteryear) and amplified by your preamp.

Actually I am surprised that it gets into a modern well-designed keyboard to ADC connection! Try using short, high-quality, cables (and I don't mean Monster) but just not the cheap junk that is shipped for free with equipment. These cables should be called double-shielded with a greater than 95% coverage braided shield and a foil shield around that.

If that doesn't work, then you can try the RFI suppression beads (like the ones that form the lump in your monitor cables).

If that doesn't work, you might consult a copy of the ARRL Amatuer Radio Handbook. They have been causing, and helping to fix, RFI interference for 100 years, so they know some pretty good techniques.

Good luck!

Regards,
    David

PS, the best approach is to create a Faraday shield by wrapping your entire room in aluminum foil like some guy I read about years ago. I think he's in a safe room with a different kind of wrapping now. On second thought, maybe this isn't a good idea...
    post edited by dcastle - 2005/09/06 13:42:50

ASUS M3A78 AMD 9950 Quad 2.6G 8GB
    Shure • Rhode • Audio-Technica • Allen&Heath GL2200-24
    MOTU 24i • Presonus Firepod • E-MU 1212m • Zoom H2
    SONAR 2XL-8PE • Sound Forge 1-9 • Audacity 0.1-1.3
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Radio signals when recording 2005/09/06 13:38:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Peter Rabbit

My keyboard pics up radio signals when recording from the audio outputs of the keyboard. These radio signals are then recorded onto the track.

The audio outputs of the keyboard are RCA plugs, therefore the cord I am using to connect my keyboard to my soundcard is an RCA cord which is not a balanced cord. I've been using 1/4" adapters to connect the RCA cord to my soundcard.

Is there a way to eliminate the radio signal with my current setup? Perhaps using two 1/4" balanced cords, instead of RCA cords, with RCA adapters on one end of each of the balanced cords to connect them to the left and right outputs of the keyboard? (Or would the RCA adapters connected to balanced cords convert them to unbalanced cords at that point?)

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Are you sure it's a shielded cable ? You can't use an RCA to RCA speaker cable, you have to have a shielded cable.
    Peter Rabbit
    RE: Radio signals when recording 2005/09/06 13:47:54 (permalink)
    Thanks dcastle.

Wow! That is some deep, deep stuff. Looks like I'm going to have to do some research before I can decode your last response. LOL That's way over my head.

I do understand some of what you're talking about and I can print off your posted response and start researching to figure out the things I don't understand. I can then try your suggestions.

I envy your knowlege! Thanks again.

P. Rabbit
    Peter Rabbit
    RE: Radio signals when recording 2005/09/06 13:54:18 (permalink)
    Hi ohhey.

No, it is not a sheilded cable. It is an RCA to RCA speaker cable as you stated. But the audio outputs for my Yamaha keyboard are RCA. I think these outputs were intended to be used for additional speaker connections and not for connecting to a pre-amp or soundcard. However it is the only audio outputs on the keyboard with the exception of the headphone output.

I was not aware that they made sheilded RCA cables. Are sheilded RCA cables available?

P. Rabbit
    SonicClang
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Radio signals when recording 2005/09/06 13:55:27 (permalink)
    Yeah, make sure you're not using speaker cable! :D I did that once and I could literally listen to the radio program... every word.

Make sure whatever cables you're using are sheilded. Either that or wrap your room in tin foil and ground it... :P
    dcastle
    RE: Radio signals when recording 2005/09/06 13:58:39 (permalink)
    No, it is not a sheilded cable. It is an RCA to RCA speaker cable...

Are sheilded RCA cables available?

Ah yes! Now that we have this clear. Run down to Radio Shack and buy the cheapest RCA-to-RCA audio cable that they make. I'll bet your problem will be fixed. But, for $50 more you could probably get 20-40% improvement in something by buying the most expensive cables.

Regards,
    David

Peter Rabbit
    RE: Radio signals when recording 2005/09/06 14:04:45 (permalink)
    Well, from the responses it's apparant that the problem exists because I'm using speaker cables.

Do they make sheilded cables with RCA plugs?

And if not, then could I use sheilded cables that have 1/4" plugs and add an RCA adapter plug to the end that connects to the keyboard? Or would the RCA adapter connected to the sheilded cable still pic up radio interference?

P. Rabbit
    Peter Rabbit
    RE: Radio signals when recording 2005/09/06 14:07:20 (permalink)
    Hmmmm. OK. Thanks dcastle.

Looks like this may be an easy fix afterall. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again.

P. Rabbit
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Radio signals when recording 2005/09/06 14:11:36 (permalink)
    Bingo ! I think we just found the problem. Am I a good guess or what ?

If the outputs of the keyboard are for speakers then you will also need attenuating patch cords (also shielded) or attenuating plug adapters. Radio Shack should have those also. Or in a pinch you can try turning the volume WAY !!! down on the keyboard if you can't find the attenuaters. When setting your record levels turn the volume all the way down on they keyboard and turn it up by tiny amounts till the levels look good in Sonar. You may get lucky and the outputs will be line level but start off very low just in case they are speaker outs. And yes, almost all RCA to RCA cables are shielded, you just happen to have some old style speaker cables. Most modern stereos don't even use them anymore they have spring loaded clips that use bare wire. On old stereos from the 70s and early 80s some did still use RCA plugs for speakers so many folks still have those unshielded cables around the house but they are not to be used for line level connections or you will pick up all kinds of noise and radio stations.
    dmassey
    • Total Posts : 210
    RE: Radio signals when recording 2005/09/07 01:10:32 (permalink)
    Radio Shack has rca-1/4" shielded cables. This should solve the problem, but I would suggest picking up a used keyboard with standard 1/4 outputs (maybe an Alesis QS6, or something similar on eBay for $ 100. or so).
    rhythmeus
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 336
    RE: Radio signals when recording 2005/09/07 03:15:23 (permalink)
    Exact problem with me too.

I am having an older Yamaha PSR-540 that picks up radio signals when its on. The signal get stronger if I touch the speakers of the keyboard.

Fortunately, it happens only when the speaker is placed in one position in the room...I moved it to another location in the room, recently, and the signals disappeared...

rhythmeus
    Peter Rabbit
    RE: Radio signals when recording 2005/09/07 10:27:45 (permalink)
    UPDATE:

OK. First of all, my keyboard has 1/4" audio output jacks. A very long time ago I inserted RCA to 1/4" adapters into the jacks so I could use the RCA cord to connect to my stereo system. Those adapters have been there ever since and I totally forgot. That's why I thought the keyboard had RCA jacks. Dopey me!!

Anyway, yesterday I purchased a very cheap dual, sheilded cord with 1/4" plugs at each end which is perfect for both my keyboard and my pre-amp. The cord is not balanced. I was told that if the jacks in my keyboard are not balanced then it would not help to purchase balanced cords. Everything I read in the owner's manual of the keyboard indicates that the jacks are not balanced.

The new sheilded cord did not eliminate the radio signal but seemed to lower the volume of the radio station from -50db to about -40db.

I then used the "Remove Silence" feature in Sonar and set it at -40db. This removed the radio signal from the recorded track.

Anyway, thanks to all who lended a hand to help me solve this problem. It is much appreciated.

Peter
    post edited by Peter Rabbit - 2005/09/07 10:35:40

P. Rabbit
    dcastle
    RE: Radio signals when recording 2005/09/07 11:43:13 (permalink)
    The new sheilded [sic] cord did not eliminate the radio signal but seemed to lower the volume of the radio station from -50db to about -40db.

Oops! -50db to -40db is an increase of 10db. This is very bad. It seems to indicate that the radio station is sneaking in some other path.

Check the input routing on your ADC interface. Maybe you accidentally have an open input being summed along with your desired input.

Unless you are right next door to a huge radio antenna (in which case you should move for a variety of reasons), you shouldn't be getting any radio station bleed into any of your analog signals.

Regards,
    David

SonicClang
    RE: Radio signals when recording 2005/09/07 11:51:59 (permalink)
    If you'd like to try tracking down exactly where that radio signal is coming in there's more troubleshooting you can do.

If you plug the same cord into a guitar is the radio signal still there?

If you plug a guitar into a guitar amp is the signal there?

If you plug the keyboard into a guita amp is the signal there?

If you plug another instrument into the computer is the signal there?

I'd try to figure out if it has to do with the keyboard, computer, or cord. Some signals you're just not going to be able to get rid of, especially if you live close to a tower. But you should be able to come close to eliminating them.
    Peter Rabbit
    RE: Radio signals when recording - ANOTHER UPDATE 2005/09/08 12:24:26 (permalink)
    OK. Here's what I've discovered so far:

1. Replacing the keyboard's non-sheilded cable with a sheilded cable had no affect on the radio signal. I was mistaken in my earlier post.

2. The radio signal stops when the cable is disconnected from the keyboard even when when the cable remains connected to the preamp. This indicates that the signal is not coming from the cable.

3. The radio signal still bleeds through whether the keyboard's power is on or off as long as the audio cable is connected. The same thing applies whether the keyboard's power supply is plugged in or not.

4. When I connect the MIDI cables to the MIDI outputs of the keyboard it greatly reduces the volume level of the radio signal when the audio outputs are also connected.

5. It appears that the keyboard is in someway working together with the preamp to pick up the radio signal. If I plug the keyboard's audio cables directly into the soundcard, thereby bypassing the preamp, the radio signal stops. However I can only achieve a maximum -20db level of the keyboard using this method. If I record the keyboard using this method and then playback the track I can not hear the radio signal even if I increase the Trim level to the maximum +18 on the track. However by increasing the Trim to its maximum I can achieve a -7db level when playing back the recorded track.

6. If I move the keyboard to different areas of the room it affects the radio signal. In some areas it makes it louder and in other areas it begins to pic up an additional radio signal so I get 2 stations playing at once.

7. If I get very angry and put my foot through both my monitors the radio signal stops. Unfortunately so does all other audio.

If I go back and re-read some of the suggestions on this post that were beyond my comprehension I may be able to figure this out.

P. Rabbit
    MysticMizer
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: Radio signals when recording 2005/09/08 13:06:51 (permalink)
    OK. First of all, my keyboard has 1/4" audio output jacks. A very long time ago I inserted RCA to 1/4" adapters into the jacks so I could use the RCA cord to connect to my stereo system. Those adapters have been there ever since and I totally forgot. That's why I thought the keyboard had RCA jacks. Dopey me!!

heh..as I was reading through this thread I did think it extremely odd that a musical instrument....even an old one...employed RCA jacks for it's main output. I had never heard of such a thing. I found it so vexing I was just about to Google your keyboard before I read this post in your thread. Glad you cleared that up.

NEVERODDOREVEN
    MysticMizer
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: Radio signals when recording - ANOTHER UPDATE 2005/09/08 13:25:25 (permalink)
    Based on what you described the keyboard it'sef is acting as an antenna.

Try grounding the case.

NEVERODDOREVEN
    dcastle
    RE: Radio signals when recording - ANOTHER UPDATE 2005/09/08 14:20:38 (permalink)
    3. The radio signal still bleeds through whether the keyboard's power is on or off as long as the audio cable is connected. The same thing applies whether the keyboard's power supply is plugged in or not.

This sounds like a grounding problem.

Does the power transformer have a 3-prong plug and is it plugged into a grounded socket?

You might also try finding a ferrite RFI filter that snaps on your audio cables like this:

Regards,
    David

Peter Rabbit
    RE: Radio signals when recording - ANOTHER UPDATE 2005/09/08 14:37:18 (permalink)
    Thanks MysticMizer.

I was thinking the same thing about grounding the keyboard. However I can't seem to figure out how to do this. The entire casing of the keyboard is plastic. And the screws that hold the plastic casing together screw into other plastic parts.

And here's dcastle to my rescue again. LOL

As a matter of fact the power supply for my keyboard is only a two pronged plug. As far as the socket goes, I purchased this home about 2 years ago. The home is 50 years old and did not have any grounded sockets throughout the entire house. I replaced all the 2 prong sockets with 3 prong sockets. I connected a ground wire from the socket to the back of the housing that the socket attaches to. I'm not an electrician so I don't really know if that worked for grounding the socket. The housing is nailed to the wooden studs of the wall. But I'm thinking that this does not constitute proper grounding techniques.

The picture of the RFI filter that you posted looks interesting and I think I might see if I can locate two of those. Perhaps one for the left cable and one for the right. It's worth a shot and it doesn't seem like they'd be that expensive.

Thanks again.

P. Rabbit
    MArwood
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1816
    RE: Radio signals when recording - ANOTHER UPDATE 2005/09/08 16:00:08 (permalink)
    I was going to recommend a ground lift for the Keyboard, but if it's only 2 prong that will not work. I would recommend trying to lift the ground from the device that the keyboard is plugged into. That might also help.
    Max Arwood
    dcastle
    RE: Radio signals when recording - ANOTHER UPDATE 2005/09/08 16:22:24 (permalink)
    I replaced all the 2 prong sockets with 3 prong sockets. I connected a ground wire from the socket to the back of the housing that the socket attaches to.

Nope! That's not grounded. You've got to get that ground wire to a cold water pipe somewhere. You can get a pipe ground clamp from Home Depot like this

Regards,
    David

BTW, make sure it's a cold water pipe, there have been terrible stories about people connecting grounds to gas pipes, which doesn't make any difference until there is a castrophic failure, and then there can be a really catastrophic failure!
    post edited by dcastle - 2005/09/08 16:40:22

dmassey
    RE: Radio signals when recording - ANOTHER UPDATE 2005/09/12 23:00:18 (permalink)
    If there is not a ground in the electrical box, then it doesn't matter what you use; you need to ground the electrical system to gain anything benefit. I would suggest at the very least setting up a grounded plug in your recording room (do the water-pipe thing as suggested above) and make sure you use a #12 or larger stranded wire for the ground. Plug everything you are using into this plug (making sure you use grounded multiple-outlet strips if you need them) and you're at least going in the right direction. Worst case scenario, ditch the keyboard and buy a better one.
    dcastle
    RE: Radio signals when recording - ANOTHER UPDATE 2005/09/12 23:10:41 (permalink)
    I would suggest at the very least setting up a grounded plug in your recording room (do the water-pipe thing as suggested above) and make sure you use a #12 or larger stranded wire for the ground.

Remember that wire gets larger when the gauge gets smaller (and they don't use the "#" anymore) so an 8 gauge wire is larger than a 12 gauge wire.

Regards,
    David

BTW, for radio signals, the ground is going to have to be shorter than 10 feet or so. Otherwise the ground connection can act like its own antenna and actually make your situation worse. This doesn't usually happen in a house because the ground is physically near the hot/neutral connections and forms a psuedo balanced connection as far as RFI is concerned. Adding a ground wire to a receptacle like you have is an important safety precaution, but unless it's short, it won't help your radio interference problem.

MArwood
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1816
    RE: Radio signals when recording - ANOTHER UPDATE 2005/09/13 01:05:59 (permalink)
    I think I can remember reading on RAP a good while back that someone removed the ground wire from 1 end of an audio cable to reduce radio interference. This might have been mike cable. Also a Radio shack line to mike level transformer might help If you could use the mike levels to record.
    Max Arwood
    danwilms
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: Radio signals when recording - ANOTHER UPDATE 2005/09/13 01:40:49 (permalink)
    Guys you're not listening. The keyboard doesn't have a ground pin. When he plugs it into his sound card he is making a high impedance ground connection through the sound card that is turning the keyboard into an antenna. These two prong setups are what is referrred to as double insulated meaning the power side of the supply is galvanically isolated from the instrument side of the supply. As long as it's floating there's no place for the current generated by the RFI to go so there's no problem. Ground one side of the instrument through 20~30 ohms and float the other through a high impedance and you have a fine loop antenna. I think the only thing you can do is use a transformer direct box to isolate the keyboard.

All the other suggestions would be useful if you had a regular keyboard with a three pin power plug but in this case I don't think they apply. Well possibly the RFI filter which is just a big ferrite bead.

Dan
    post edited by danwilms - 2005/09/13 01:56:51
    SonicClang
    RE: Radio signals when recording - ANOTHER UPDATE 2005/09/13 15:35:00 (permalink)
    dcastle, I'm wondering how well those clips work. I've used those where I work for filtering static electricity out of thermocouple wires, and that has worked. I never thought about using them on an instrument. Something in my house is creating a buzz... not really sure what it is.
    dmassey
    RE: Radio signals when recording - ANOTHER UPDATE 2005/09/14 21:01:55 (permalink)
    I guess I am old, but we still use the "#" for short-hand to mean "gauge" in the sound industry, and it also shows up on all of the elctrical drawings that we get from the contractors/consultants/architects, but that's not important now: get a new keyboard or sound module.
    This will at least fix this problem, and the fact that (a) the keyboard itself is the only part of the system that is providing the RF issue an (b) a used keybord/module from eBay might cost less than the solutions mentioned, it would probably save you a lot of wasted effort and/or money.
    The truly sad thing thing about all this is the fact that you can do everything discussed here and still have problems, when your neighbor does nothing "by the book" and has no issues whatsoever.
    Good luck!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1