Random notes not sounding at all?

Author
TumbleweedBob
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2015/12/28 18:18:20 (permalink)

Random notes not sounding at all?

Hi folks,

I am new to Music Creator 5 and recently installed it to use with my M-Audio Axiom 25 USB MIDI controller.
I've installed it on a Dell Inspiron 6400 which worked fine with a trial version of Ableton Live, so I figured should work with this, however, I'm having this issue.

I create a project and then add a track (Instrument track then Cakewalk sound centre).
Then I choose say piano and record a melody, but when I play it back some of the notes aren't sounding out, even though the exact note played on say the bar before.

I tried a new project and this time recorded some chords and then played that back, same problem, the first 3 were fine but chords 4 and 5 failed to sound at all but 6, 7 and 8 were fine.

Any idea what is going wrong please?

Very frustrating and was really excited to start crating music again after a 15 year break.

Thanks in advance
Rob

8 Replies Related Threads

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: Random notes not sounding at all? 2015/12/29 06:46:19 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forum!
    This is usually due to too small MIDI buffers.
    Double the buffer size at "MIDI buffers - Prepare using xxx ms buffers".

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    TumbleweedBob
    Re: Random notes not sounding at all? 2015/12/29 08:03:48 (permalink)
    Thanks a lot Kalle, k
    TumbleweedBob
    Re: Random notes not sounding at all? 2015/12/29 08:04:58 (permalink)
    Kind of you to post so quickly and sorry I am using an iPhone and it submitted before I had finished typing :-)

I'll look for this in options then I guess and will let you know if it works.

Cheers
    Rob
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Random notes not sounding at all? 2015/12/29 09:02:33 (permalink)
    Buffers are important.

If you plan to get back into music in a more serious way... I would suggest getting a dedicated external audio/midi interface rather than relying on the built in laptop sound card chip, if you don't already have one.  Do your research first so you don't get the wrong thing.  Ask questions.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    TumbleweedBob
    Re: Random notes not sounding at all? 2015/12/29 10:41:25 (permalink)
    Thanks GH I'll look into that as soon as I can get this working and work out how to make and edit tracks.
    That's when things will get serious for me again and I can't wait :-)

All the best
    Rob
    Ps any interface suggestions are welcome.
    TumbleweedBob
    Re: Random notes not sounding at all? 2015/12/30 06:50:05 (permalink)
    Sorry folks, I haven't tried adjusting the buffer yet but something I tried made me think it may be something else.

In short I highlighted and dragged the "dead" notes slightly to the left or right and they then sounded no problem.
    Well, apart from being off beat / out of time, but when I moved them back to the correct position they stopped sounding again.

Do you still think it could be buffering causing this issue?

Thank again
    Rob
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Random notes not sounding at all? 2015/12/30 08:51:16 (permalink)
    My recommendation to get an interface was a solution to the issue.  Perhaps you can find a temporary solution, but then again, going for a permanent fix might be the best way to approach this problem.

Currently you are using the built in soundcard chip which doesn't work exceedingly well due to the drivers it must use... normally MME.  Factory cards and MME tend to have very high latency numbers and hence, tend to be a real pain to try to work with regarding full duplex multi-track recording especially when midi synths are involved.

Sliding the notes gives it enough time to pick up the start/on midi signal for that note. Previously, it was missing it since it was busy processing other things. I've experienced this issue in other ways. A better interface running ASIO can usually handle the high speed processing to get the notes out to the speakers in real time.  The factory chip can not so it simply drops what it needs to drop to keep up with where it knows it's supposed to be. That's a very simple explanation of what appears to be happening.

When I try to run my DAW (MC 4,5,6 Sonar) on the factory chip with my interface disconnected, the latency on the midi is so bad it's practically unusable. I get clicks, pops, stutters, and complete drops. I can plug in the interface, restart the computer and Sonar, and the music plays back flawlessly with zero perceived latency or other issues.

A couple of temp fixes you can try.

1 adjust the latency and the buffers to see if you can get usable audio
    2  try ASIO4ALL ..... it's a free wrapper that fools your computer into thinking it can run ASIO. Some folks claim it's the cat's meow..... and others like me can't get it to work at all.   It's worth a try.  If it does work, it will give you some time to save the money for the interface. But eventually, you want the interface and not A4A. There's always a downside to using wrappers.

Hope this helps you

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    donlemay
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Random notes not sounding at all? 2016/01/20 19:42:47 (permalink)
    Go to [ Edit ] [ Preferences ] [ Audio ]  [ Driver Settings ] Where is reads "Mixing Latency" Change "Buffers in playback queue" to 8 and the slide control in "Buffer Size" toward "Fast"   Mine is set at 2.0 msec and it's good for 32nd notes.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1