Rapture: A Work in Progress?

Author
jsg
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1079
2008/04/13 20:34:56 (permalink)

Rapture: A Work in Progress?

Though Cakewalk touts that Rapture is winning awards I find it the most "unfinished" of the software synths I use. I've posted before about the quirky behavior it exhibits, and am perplexed by the MIDI controller assign page. There are the simple typos in the owner's manual, for example saying that volume is calculated in cents (cents refers to pitch, the division of the semitone into 100 equal parts) on page 61. Then there is the parameter information on the controller page itself, the "smooth" function isn't clear, and it is odd that the usual 0-127 values are not used. Plus the interface is so dark, it gets tiring to look at.

But what really is odd, is how Rapture integrates with Sonar. One would think the integration would be excellent, being that both software packages are made by the same company. But not so. Synths made by Virsyn (Tera) and Native Instruments (Massive, FM8) all integrate better; for example you can change patches in these instruments in Sonar without having to create a new instance, which is not the most elegant way to achieve more timbral diversity, not to mention requiring more CPU cycles.

Rapture sounds great and has some great patches. If only it were not in beta....

Finally, Cakewalk email tech support is dead in the water. Not good.

Jerry Gerber
www.jerrygerber.com

14 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Rapture: A Work in Progress? 2008/04/13 22:09:01 (permalink)
    perplexed by the MIDI controller assign page.
    Details?
    There are the simple typos in the owner's manual, for example saying that volume is calculated in cents (cents refers to pitch, the division of the semitone into 100 equal parts) on page 61.
    And the Random Bipolar entry on page 58 should read Note On. Looks like the proofreader is unfinished, not the synth.
    the "smooth" function isn't clear, and it is odd that the usual 0-127 values are not used.
    That's because it's a time-based parameter.
    Plus the interface is so dark, it gets tiring to look at.
    Then skin it to your own preference.
    Synths made by Virsyn (Tera) and Native Instruments (Massive, FM8) all integrate better; for example you can change patches in these instruments in Sonar without having to create a new instance, which is not the most elegant way to achieve more timbral diversity, not to mention requiring more CPU cycles.
    Program changes are not supported for increased memory efficiency. Multisamples are shared in memory across Elements and multiple instances. I would've liked to have seen program change support, too, but not at the expense of having to load all possible multisamples into memory at once.
    If only it were not in beta....
    Hardly. It's easy to blame the tools.
    Edit: But if you mean that it's in a constant state of progressive evolution, then you're absolutely correct.
    post edited by b rock - 2008/04/13 23:50:12
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Rapture: A Work in Progress? 2008/04/13 23:27:27 (permalink)
    Rapture is different from massive/FM8. Not sure about tera. You can load a sample set in a element.

I suspect mixing single cycle/wavetables/and samples from a single oneshot wave file to a full sfz set could complicate things. FM8 and Massive use simple patch based voices. you can imagine the glitch you might encounter if you attempted a patch change that included a 30 mb set to ram during playback.

Are there any sample based softsynths that support support a patch change in sequence?
    ckatrun411
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: Rapture: A Work in Progress? 2008/04/14 03:44:50 (permalink)
    Silly thread...

I just, don't even know what to say...
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Rapture: A Work in Progress? 2008/04/14 14:29:35 (permalink)
    You seem to be comparing apples and oranges.

TERA is a multi-timbral, supporting 16- midi channels. Rapture is not (though it can support 1 channel per element, but this isn't really the way to achieve tonal 'diversity').

Learn to use Rapture and you'll change your tune. Examine the sophisticated modulation features available for each element, and how the native file format gives one an extra programming dimension for creating interesting sounds. Then look through the wealth of samples provided in the palette.

When you get to know this program, I think you'll eat your words.

--kwgm
    ew
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1837
    RE: Rapture: A Work in Progress? 2008/04/14 14:44:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kwgm

You seem to be comparing apples and oranges.

TERA is a multi-timbral, supporting 16- midi channels. Rapture is not (though it can support 1 channel per element, but this isn't really the way to achieve tonal 'diversity').

True. But, as the OP mentioned, you can use program changes with TERA to change individual patches in the multi. That's what he's driving at...

ew
    post edited by ew - 2008/04/14 15:03:00
    muso_price
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 496
    RE: Rapture: A Work in Progress? 2008/04/14 18:25:20 (permalink)
    Don't you just love some of these posts.

chitwilber
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Rapture: A Work in Progress? 2008/05/12 14:13:16 (permalink)
    I was hopeful Rapture would be useable for 'live' performance work because I wrongly assumed it would support program changes. (After all, it is advertised as a stand alone synth). I know I'm going to get yelled at here, but in what ways could someone use a stand lone sound source that doesn't support program changes?
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: Rapture: A Work in Progress? 2008/05/12 18:20:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: chitwilber
    in what ways could someone use a stand lone sound source that doesn't support program changes?

I don't use stand alone instruments for performance. I use them for patch creation and programming.
    However, I DO understand that people would want a way to automatically change patches and programs without having to interact with the UI where performance is concerned.

How common are program changes in standalone synths?
    For example, all of the following have standalone versions... does anyone know which ones take program change messages:
    IK SampleTank
    IK Miroslav Philharmonic
    IK Sonik Synth
    Cake z3ta+
    Cake Triangle II
    NI Battery 3
    NI Massive
    NI FM8
    NI Pro-53
    NI Absynth

Just curious.
    Are program changes the rule, or the exception?

- zevo
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Rapture: A Work in Progress? 2008/05/12 19:38:29 (permalink)
    inmazevo, I don't know.. can you buy me some of them.. and I'll give you a proper answer

the IK things are mainly sampled based?

the NI things , I will buy soon (they are on offer till the end of May here).. I think using them with a micro-host vs a sequencer is a tricky one. even in live situations I'm sure most use a sequencer , even if they are blank tracks...

for 1 good reason
    if say your playing 2 keyboards...1 sound assigned to each keyboard.. with a single micro host the asio engine is tied up?

I guess you could use directx / wdm , but probably introduce latency. I have seen people perform with a micro host , but they keep all the banks they use in a new preset (saved out).. and go thru them 1 by 1 per song, if that makes sense.
    pjl
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 796
    RE: Rapture: A Work in Progress? 2008/05/12 22:09:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jsg

There are the simple typos in the owner's manual, for example saying that volume is calculated in cents (cents refers to pitch, the division of the semitone into 100 equal parts)Jerry Gerber
    www.jerrygerber.com

Jerry, I don't think they consider that a typo, it's actually correct. Pitch is just one of the many things that are measured in cents. Cents simply means hundreth (just as per cent means per hundred). Anything that is measured on a scale of 0-100 is in cents.
    post edited by pjl - 2008/05/13 02:57:29

Celebrate reason, sleep in on Sundays
    Pablo1234
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 192
    RE: Rapture: A Work in Progress? 2008/05/12 23:32:05 (permalink)
    I mesure everything in Kilocents lol.

Sonar 3, Sonar 6, Rapture, Korg Legacy Digital, BFD Lt, Midi OX, MrTramp

Fender American Strat x2 with custom Electronics/pickups - MXR EQ - Semor Duncan Crybaby - Mesa Road King 2 - Custom built 3/4 back Cab with 2 Jenson 12" and 2 Celestion 12"
    ElectricBillyLand
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Rapture: A Work in Progress? 2008/06/02 11:21:31 (permalink)
    I'm new to Rapture, so don't know if this is a common problem or also happens with other hosts.

Loaded Rapturre up as only track/plugin in LIVE 7.07

Lowest CPU usage for 1 rapture program was 35% -45%, and some programs were spiking up to 300% + (which is incredibly painful to listen to, and I didn't even think that was possible).

No other plugins of mine are using resources like that. After re-booting and re-trying Rapture with same results (several times), I loaded KONTAKT3 and went thru a variety of programs, CPU usage was consistently 3% -10% while running single program in K3.

My system is Intel dual core with 2 GB ram, EMU 1212M PCI card. ANybody else seen this behavior, is it a known issue, does it also happen with other hosts, is there a workaround?

Thanks for any tips or info,
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Rapture: A Work in Progress? 2008/06/02 16:59:38 (permalink)
    First, don't run Rapture up in the 300% -- you'll damage your speakers and your ears. Up there, Rapture is in an unstable oscillation.

There are a few initial programs that just aren't right in Rapture, and they will either overload or not play at all. Once you learn how to program Rapture, you'll be able to discover what's causing those problems -- usually a filter resonance set too high, or an envelope that pushes it over the limit, or perhaps the ring mod. Get in the habit of viewing the modulation matrix -- often the problem is a bad setting in there somewhere.

But these are the exceptions, not the rule in Rapture. I don't know how it behaves in Live, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't play the other programs without incident using a model 1 dual core, and certainly not with a Core 2 processor. ONe more thing: check the audio engine's sinc setting and disable if not already. This will use more cpu when engaged.

--kwgm
    ChristopherM
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1921
    RE: Rapture: A Work in Progress? 2008/06/02 17:55:03 (permalink)
    in what ways could someone use a stand lone sound source that doesn't support program changes?

violin
    trombone
    flute
    mini moog
    snare drum
    tea chest bass
    banjo
    you get the point
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1