Rapture: "Error Opening MIDI Device" (solved)

Author
ark
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50
2009/06/07 11:00:22 (permalink)

Rapture: "Error Opening MIDI Device" (solved)

Windows XP SP3, Rapture 1.2. I was having a problem, reported earlier, in which Rapture's output level would suddenly drop. I worked out that the problem was due to an expression pedal that was sometimes sending signals on its own. No trouble so far.

But in the process of trying to figure out what was wrong, I tried installing Rapture 1.1, then 1.2 again; and now whenever I start the Rapture microhost I get a dialog box saying:

MidiInOpen()

Error opening MIDI Device

After I dismiss this dialog box, everything works correctly.

I tried installing 1.1 again; no change. I tried removing Rapture entirely and reinstalling it, and the problem is still there. I have tried unchecking all MIDI devices in the Rapture "MIDI" menu, and the problem is still there.

Dimension has no problems here, nor does z3ta+, and as far as I know, they are using the same microhost as Rapture.

Any suggestions?
post edited by ark - 2009/06/07 12:42:34

2 Replies Related Threads

ark
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: Rapture: "Error Opening MIDI Device" (solved) 2009/06/07 12:35:05 (permalink)
    Found this one too. While troubleshooting the problem I reported earlier, I did the following:

1) Connected another MIDI input device to the computer.
    2) Launched Rapture and told it to use that device as input.
    3) Exited Rapture
    4) Disconnected the MIDI device from the computer.

Apparently Rapture remembers which devices it was using the last time it was launched, and tries to open them again. When it found a device that wasn't there, it tried to open it and failed. Because the device wasn't there, it did not appear on the menu of MIDI devices, so there was no way to delete it. Because Rapture did not report the name of the device, I didn't have a reason to suspect that cause. The fix:

1) Reconnect the MIDI input device to the computer.
    2) Launch Rapture.
    3) Uncheck this MIDI device from Rapture's menu.
    4) Exit Rapture.
    Walker
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: Rapture: "Error Opening MIDI Device" (solved) 2009/06/08 01:21:11 (permalink)
    While these issues and their remedies have not yet affected me, it is awesome to see someone with the courtesy to post the solutions and announce 'problem solved'. Thanks.

Sonar 8.5 PE, Dell Vostro 1500, 250G, 4G RAM, XP-SP3
    E-MU 0404 USB, V-Amp Pro, Rane ME 15B EQ, Oxygen 61
    '06 Fender USA Ash Strat, Ibanez RG370, ADC120, Vintage '84 Squire, Vintage Sigma, Xaviere XV600, Titan Jag, St. Blues FM IV... 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1