Author
lossmentality
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 26
2013/02/03 13:30:45 (permalink)

Rapture: How to Oscillate Step Generator's Smooth Parameter

Hi Everyone -

Couldn't seem to find info on this. 

I want to oscillate the 'smooth' parameter in a Rapture Step Generator. I'm using Rapture in Sonar X2. I don't see a way within Rapture itself to hook any sort of LFO to the Smooth param. 

So the only other way I know of to do this would be via using automation in Sonar to oscillate the smooth parameter. While I can certainly do this, I'd rather not have to draw a repeatedly oscillation envelope. Also, I try to avoid automation when I can as it (for me at least) doesn't always work well when I try to move automated clips around in a song. I'm probably doing something wrong but I have a horrible time dragging automation along with a clip - it's very hit or miss. But I digress.

So, my questions:

1) Is there a way in rapture itself to do this?
2) If not, is there some way to use an LFO external to Rapture, but in Sonar X2, to drive some sort of automated oscillation of the smooth parameter?
3) Or, any other suggestions on a good way to do this besides manually drawing an automation envelope are of course welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

2 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    Re:Rapture: How to Oscillate Step Generator's Smooth Parameter 2013/02/03 14:57:19 (permalink)
    1) There's no assignable LFOs in Rapture itself.  The internal modulators are all pre-wired to specific destinations (pitch, cutoffs, etc.).  It's been a feature request for "Rapture 2".

2)  I've been pushing for the per-track arpeggiator to have a MIDI LFO mode for years now.  But you can add a MIDI FX or VST that will do it (for free, or at a reasonable cost).  Google MIDI LFO, MIDIShaper, etc.  Cakewalk used to include SpectraFX, which would automatically draw automation in oscillator shapes.  Frank's MIDI Plugins includes a Step plugin that will generate MIDI CC's that can be shaped & oscillated.  There are others I'm not thinking of.

3)  I rely on external hardware, for the most part.  Moog discontinued a control pedal recently that sent MIDI LFO messages.  I use my AKAI Max 49 step sequencer as an LFO.  The Lexicon MPX-1 effects unit is an incredible source of MIDI control, including two LFO's.

In Sonar X2, you can try right-clicking on the draw tool, and select one of the alternate Shapes.  You're having trouble with Freehand, but Sine, Square, Triangle, or Random might help with repeatable results.  Use Snap to Grid and the related drawing commands.  I've used this to draw oscillator "clips" at different rates, converted to MIDI CC and saved, then dragged out as a clip for as many repetitions as I need.

Of course, once you have the MIDI oscillator source in place, you'll have to assign it to Rapture's Smooth parameter.  Either configure a slot in the Modulation Matrix, or use right-click / MIDI learn directly on the parameter.  The range of Smoothing is 1-1000, but you'll find that it becomes more difficult to discern the differences above 100.  You may only need to automate a much smaller range (1-50, or 1-100) for the results that you're after.
    post edited by b rock - 2013/02/03 15:05:04
    lossmentality
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re:Rapture: How to Oscillate Step Generator's Smooth Parameter 2013/02/03 15:12:53 (permalink)
    Thanks B Rock for the detailed response. I've mostly worked with audio before (I'm messing around with creating an all-soft-synth electronica tune), so hadn't even considered MIDI FX plugs. That's exactly what I was looking for!

Jeff
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1