Rapture - Midi Learn

Author
LostChord
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 203
2006/06/28 08:46:44 (permalink)

Rapture - Midi Learn

I'm trying to control the Volume in the Mixer section of Rapture (just for a start). Rapture is hosted in Sonar 5PE. I have the midi input of the midi/audio track pair set to a USB connected UC33 Midi Controller in Omni mode. This device has 8 strips each with a slider and 4 knobs.

I right click the Rapture Vol 1 knob and select Midi Learn then move the slider on channel 1 on the UC33. This works fine, the Rapture knob now responds to the slider.

Now I right click on the Rapture Vol 2 knob and select Learn. I move slider 2 on the UC33. Both the Rapture Vol 1 and Vol 2 knobs move. In fact both knobs will respond to any of the 8 sliders.

Conclusion is that Rapture is ignoring the channel the data is being transmitted on so all sliders look the same.

Is this correct???

cheers

We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse.

6 Replies Related Threads

René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Rapture - Midi Learn 2006/06/28 09:13:37 (permalink)
    Possibly your MIDI sliders are all set to send the same MIDI CC. To verify, just hit record, move all sliders and then examine the resulting MIDI data using the Event List.

You can also use MIDI CC7 (Volume) to adjust Rapture's volume from the MIDI track in the mixer or track view. That control is hardwired, doesn't need MIDI Learn. It is the control that is assigned in the MIDI track in the track view as volume.

-René
    LostChord
    RE: Rapture - Midi Learn 2006/06/28 09:27:06 (permalink)
    Rene,

They all send CC7 on different channels. I have used the UC33 with the Sonar console view - a mixer - and have no trouble assigning the different sliders to the different strips on the console mixer using the Learn function. The Sonar learn function uses the channel to differentiate between the sliders. I assumed the Rapture mixer would behave like the Sonar mixer and use the channel information. Sounds like this was a bad assumption....maybe it is a feature request???

cheers

René
    RE: Rapture - Midi Learn 2006/06/29 09:16:00 (permalink)
    Rapture will react to a single MIDI channel as default. You can change this behavior by selecting 'Set Program As Multitimbral' option in the options dialog.

After you select it, the MIDI CC7 will control the different elements in Rapture independently. You don't need to MIDI Learn for CC7.

-René
    LostChord
    RE: Rapture - Midi Learn 2006/06/29 18:27:37 (permalink)
    Thanks Rene, I'll try that this evening.

cheers

LostChord
    RE: Rapture - Midi Learn 2006/06/30 04:20:40 (permalink)
    Rene,

You can also use MIDI CC7 (Volume) to adjust Rapture's volume from the MIDI track in the mixer or track view. That control is hardwired, doesn't need MIDI Learn. It is the control that is assigned in the MIDI track in the track view as volume.

This does seem to be the case, but there is no visual feedback. None of the volume level indicators in Track view, Console view, or rapture seem to change in response to this control although the volume does, indeed, change. Is this correct behaviour??

After you select it, the MIDI CC7 will control the different elements in Rapture independently. You don't need to MIDI Learn for CC7.

Selecting multitimbral does have an effect...each Rapture channel now requires seperate note on/off.... not desired behaviour in this case but exactly as documented.

Midi control behaviour is unchanged. Midi channel is being ignored. I've tried CC13 as well as CC7 on volume. Same results with Midi learn. If I select the Vol control on E1, select Midi learn, move slider on UC33 channel 1 the Vol1 control responds. I right click again. Click somewhere else. Wait a while (no idea how you turn Learn OFF). Then I move any of the other sliders. The Vol1 control resonds. This is the same in normal or multitimbral mode.

Would be delighted if you could suggest where I'm going wrong.

cheers

René
    RE: Rapture - Midi Learn 2006/06/30 14:16:01 (permalink)
    This does seem to be the case, but there is no visual feedback. None of the volume level indicators in Track view, Console view, or rapture seem to change in response to this control although the volume does, indeed, change. Is this correct behaviour??

If you use the track view volume control, then it will naturally serve as visual feedback.

If you send CC7 to Rapture/Dimension Pro, there's no visual feedback other than your controller. This is as per design, as the CC7 (and CC11 for expression) are MMA standard controls. Those work in a different layer than the main panel volume, so you can adjust a patch mix with the element control and then change the volume without changing the mix.

MIDI Learn works in omni mode.

-René

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1