Rapture - Modulation Matrix - Master/Global FX

Author
awilki01
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 817
2006/07/02 13:00:06 (permalink)

Rapture - Modulation Matrix - Master/Global FX

I would like to be able to set my mod wheel as input to the Master FX cutoff or the Global FX1/2 cutoff.

I do not see any destinations in the modulation matrix for the Global FX1 or 2 and the Master FX in the Global tab.

Is it right in front of me? Am I just not seeing it?

9 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Rapture - Modulation Matrix - Master/Global FX 2006/07/02 13:56:22 (permalink)
    I do not see any destinations in the modulation matrix for the Global FX1 or 2 and the Master FX in the Global tab.
    They're not there, Adam. Now there is a way to do this, but I'm not sure that this would be a generally recommended course of action. These controls must be buried in DX Automation for a reason. Take for example a Global Delay Time. You *can* change it under MIDI Remote Control, but it's going to sound like crap, and put an undue strain on the synth algorithms. Now that's out of the way ...

If you go to a 'widget' in Sonar's or Project5's Track Inspector, there's many 'hidden' parameters under DX Automation re-assignment that aren't available to GUI control. In Project5, these are sub-grouped for easy access. In (at least older versions of) Sonar, you can slide in a quick game of chess while scrolling to the bottom parameters. Among those are controls for the Global FX. If you remember our previous discussions, you may need to use the FX Bin and companion MIDI track method instead of the Insert DXi Synth way.

Reassign your controls to the proper cutoff destinations, and MIDI Learn in your mod wheel under MIDI Remote Control. It works, but you may have just voided the warranty.
    awilki01
    RE: Rapture - Modulation Matrix - Master/Global FX 2006/07/02 15:31:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: b rock

They're not there, Adam. Now there is a way to do this, but I'm not sure that this would be a generally recommended course of action. These controls must be buried in DX Automation for a reason. Take for example a Global Delay Time. You *can* change it under MIDI Remote Control, but it's going to sound like crap, and put an undue strain on the synth algorithms. Now that's out of the way ...

If you go to a 'widget' in Sonar's or Project5's Track Inspector, there's many 'hidden' parameters under DX Automation re-assignment that aren't available to GUI control. In Project5, these are sub-grouped for easy access. In (at least older versions of) Sonar, you can slide in a quick game of chess while scrolling to the bottom parameters. Among those are controls for the Global FX. If you remember our previous discussions, you may need to use the FX Bin and companion MIDI track method instead of the Insert DXi Synth way.

Reassign your controls to the proper cutoff destinations, and MIDI Learn in your mod wheel under MIDI Remote Control. It works, but you may have just voided the warranty.

Thanks! I'm not trying to use this patch I created in a song quite yet. I just wanted to create a program that would allow others to modify the master cutoff with the mod wheel. The host application was not really a consideration - I'm was just designing a program for Rapture. I can always do a 'MIDI Learn' on it and then just assign an envelope in Sonar for that CC. I just wanted the mod wheel to be available for anyone that downloaded my patch.

Now, for this patch, I have to add some notes like "Modify the Master FX Cutoff for the appropriate effect".

I hope Cakewalk adds these controls to the mod matrix destination in a future patch.
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Rapture - Modulation Matrix - Master/Global FX 2006/07/02 15:48:42 (permalink)
    I just wanted to create a program that would allow others to modify the master cutoff with the mod wheel. The host application was not really a consideration - I'm was just designing a program for Rapture.
    OK: Got'cha. The notation might be the way to go, then. I'm not sure if this fits in with your design (and it's bound to use more resources), but perhaps you can assign the single Source (mod wheel) to more than one Destination. I'm thinking along the lines of multiple Insert FX control by Element.

You could assign it with MIDI Learn, but that would require the end user to load an included MidiCfg00.bin file from you. Come to think of it: none of my options is a good alternative from a fool-proof ease-of-use standpoint. Even the DX Automation route is flawed. Let's say that you happen to assign it to Pitch Wheel, or one of the "hard-wired" controller messages. You're going to wreak havoc on the patch with Pitch and Cutoff listening to the same message.

I think that your idea is the most prudent.
    Rick McNab
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1047
    RE: Rapture - Modulation Matrix - Master/Global FX 2006/07/02 17:24:41 (permalink)
    Is his name Adam or David (Adams)?
    awilki01
    RE: Rapture - Modulation Matrix - Master/Global FX 2006/07/02 20:05:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Rick McNab

Is his name Adam or David (Adams)?

David is my first name. Adam is my middle name. I go by my middle name, Adam.

I thought David Adams had a better ring to it for an artist name.

I will respond to either or even "hey you"
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Rapture - Modulation Matrix - Master/Global FX 2006/07/02 20:23:13 (permalink)
    And I've been callin you Dave cause of the d_adams in your sig.GIF[/image]
    awilki01
    RE: Rapture - Modulation Matrix - Master/Global FX 2006/07/02 20:31:41 (permalink)
    Like I said, I respond to anything

My first name is David, so you are not wrong
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Rapture - Modulation Matrix - Master/Global FX 2006/07/02 22:42:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: awilki01 Like I said, I respond to anything

David did you ever try that filter LFO.sfz? Once Chad posted the Rature opcode for the 2 pole filter I redid the the .sfz file to incorporate the filter setting. The only booger is set the filter cutoff to 0-7 'o'clock position. On mine I needed to turn on the filter but on second run rapture loaded the sfz up and I was getting filter sweeps before turning on the filter. Not as profound as the filter on position.

The sweet part is it loads to a single element. Now that is really grand.

To snag the file. copy/paste the text to a notepad text file. Close and rename filterLFO.sfz. Now your comp will bark are you sure? the file could become unusable. Trust me on this Rapture will load it if the file path is correct. And if it's not right it will tell ya why. I bet you can ace that file path thing without a second thought. You know right where to find that 8080 wavetable

Every SETTING in a sfz file can act like the gui. all you do is change the setting to with the spec/range of capabilities and blamo your cookin.
    awilki01
    RE: Rapture - Modulation Matrix - Master/Global FX 2006/07/02 23:56:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: lawapa

ORIGINAL: awilki01 Like I said, I respond to anything

David did you ever try that filter LFO.sfz? Once Chad posted the Rature opcode for the 2 pole filter I redid the the .sfz file to incorporate the filter setting. The only booger is set the filter cutoff to 0-7 'o'clock position. On mine I needed to turn on the filter but on second run rapture loaded the sfz up and I was getting filter sweeps before turning on the filter. Not as profound as the filter on position.

The sweet part is it loads to a single element. Now that is really grand.

To snag the file. copy/paste the text to a notepad text file. Close and rename filterLFO.sfz. Now your comp will bark are you sure? the file could become unusable. Trust me on this Rapture will load it if the file path is correct. And if it's not right it will tell ya why. I bet you can ace that file path thing without a second thought. You know right where to find that 8080 wavetable

Every SETTING in a sfz file can act like the gui. all you do is change the setting to with the spec/range of capabilities and blamo your cookin.

I'll give it a shot in the next couple days. I'm about to call it a night here soon.

Thanks!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1