Rapture Modulation Matrix Vs Midi Learn

Author
Pablo1234
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 192
2008/05/05 10:24:34 (permalink)

Rapture Modulation Matrix Vs Midi Learn

Just a Question on why I can see Changes happening on the GUI of Rapture when I use MIDI Kearn and not when I use Modulation Matrix.

Sonar 3, Sonar 6, Rapture, Korg Legacy Digital, BFD Lt, Midi OX, MrTramp

Fender American Strat x2 with custom Electronics/pickups - MXR EQ - Semor Duncan Crybaby - Mesa Road King 2 - Custom built 3/4 back Cab with 2 Jenson 12" and 2 Celestion 12"

11 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Rapture Modulation Matrix Vs Midi Learn 2008/05/05 10:53:19 (permalink)
    MIDI Learn is a direct & global method of control over the base value of each parameter. Using MIDI Learn over a Cutoff knob, for example, changes this base value in Hz. It's an 'absolute' method, and it remains in effect over multiple launches & instances.

The Modulation Matrix contains relative adjustments. In the filter Cutoff example above, the base value set by the knob doesn't change. It is added to, or subtracted from, using the Depth value that you've set in the Mod Matrix. Here, the proportional cutoff changes are measured in cents. This can be controlled independently of a MIDI Learn function that uses the same source.

Bottom line: MIDI Learn = direct control. Mod Matrix = layered control.
    Pablo1234
    RE: Rapture Modulation Matrix Vs Midi Learn 2008/05/06 13:16:03 (permalink)
    Thanks B Rock, you always have the answers :) Im thinking Rapture was the best purchase I have made for music in a long time. I have created over 60 patches from scratch and I now have sound forge so I have been making my own samples. Only complaint their is that the Prgrams go in aplication data and the sounds go in program files. this adds one more Shortcut to my quicklaunch bar hehehe.

Fender American Strat x2 with custom Electronics/pickups - MXR EQ - Semor Duncan Crybaby - Mesa Road King 2 - Custom built 3/4 back Cab with 2 Jenson 12" and 2 Celestion 12"
    b rock
    RE: Rapture Modulation Matrix Vs Midi Learn 2008/05/06 21:00:27 (permalink)
    Only complaint their is that the Prgrams go in aplication data and the sounds go in program files.
    That's "progress" for you. I can't stand that, either.
    I have created over 60 patches from scratch and I now have sound forge so I have been making my own samples.
    Hey Pablo, if you're so inclined ...
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Rapture Modulation Matrix Vs Midi Learn 2008/05/06 22:47:15 (permalink)
    Yea, I can't stand the different folder assigns either (I was just putting some new programs/waves in). Pain in the arse keeping everything straight in Vista.

OT - Tom. Your extra CM programs you posted required the Architect waves, I think you said. Cause I couldn't get the programs to come up with sounds - even tho I have the Arch demo waves. I guess I'll fill in your programs with other waves - already did a few that way just to see. Interesting, if hit and miss. While I was fooling around with the folders (see above pp).

later,

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Pablo1234
    RE: Rapture Modulation Matrix Vs Midi Learn 2008/05/07 01:54:18 (permalink)
    Oooo cool site, I just registered, gona have to start packing em up und upload em. Most arn't that good but some I like quite abit. I'm still a nubie when it comes to the softsynth stuff, but I'm also a tweekhead so its in my realm. I should have 5 setup and documented for upload buy saterday.

René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Rapture Modulation Matrix Vs Midi Learn 2008/05/07 11:21:46 (permalink)
    Under Vista's UAC, programs are not allowed to write within "Program Files" from limited privileges accounts. This means that if you a) load a factory program, b) tweak it, c) save it, that would fail if you installed on \Program Files.
    The paradigm Vista (and also XP, yet it doesn't impose too hard restrictions) proposes is that user data has to be separated from "factory" data, and it gives you the \Documents And Settings\Application Data for that. Unfortunately, it doesn't have very strong previsions for data you want to share among all users in the same system other than the $\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data folder. And to make things harder, that folder has a different name in XP and Vista and it's hidden in both in a default installation. Oh well

We have added the "Browse Programs..." option to the Program Handling menu. It will open a Windows Explorer window pointing to the programs folder, even if it's hidden. That makes easier the file-level handling of programs.

Yet, if you are

- Either using Windows XP, or Vista with UAC disabled, or has Rapture installed in a folder where you have full privileges in limited accounts, and
    - Want to have everything in one folder

Then you can enter the following string:

HKLM\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Rapture\Use Single Folder

And set it to "Yes"

Then move everything into the folder where you installed Rapture, and refresh the browser.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Rapture Modulation Matrix Vs Midi Learn 2008/05/07 12:32:56 (permalink)
    René - thanks. And we know you aren't responsible for Uncle Bill's egronomics in Vista. It is just that I (and others, I imagine) don't fool with the innards of the OP any more than we have to, and then forget what we did the next time we go in to tweak. "Damn it, Spock, I'm a musician not a PC techie!" Messing with the registry is even worse, since there are so many horror stories - "Don't try this at home, kid, or your computer might not boot up!"

Sorry for the rant, but I like to when it is for common sense. Last night I was loading in some of Francescos' stuff and got confused since at some point I put the Programs into /ProgramFiles and there it still sits. I guess I need to get rid of the folder before I forget.

One thing that would be really nice is something that doesn't take a reg hack - all the SFZ samples from DimPro and Rapture in one main folder (with subfolders) so when I wish to change a sample in either synth I could just hit the sample slot and change away - kinda like the presets arrow.

The above are just ideas - I know you have to program the synths according to Vista protocals or there would be even more knashing of teeth. But that would be how I like to use your synths. Of course, I still make my own "Alan," "Movie" and "Music" folders on C:// to keep all my similar files together in subfolders rather than using the Documents and "your music" folders, so it is probably best to ignore me.

Finally, Francescos has some really, really nice samples/patches. very analog, for those of us that still believe in those almost extinct beasties. Cake ought to be in touch with him about expansion.

Thanks René, now back to the salt mines of your supersynth rather than the rantings here. The world waits!

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Pablo1234
    RE: Rapture Modulation Matrix Vs Midi Learn 2008/05/07 13:16:37 (permalink)
    René - thanks. I'm doing it now as we speak hehe. Reg don't scare me I image my hard drive every saterday lol.

b rock
    RE: Rapture Modulation Matrix Vs Midi Learn 2008/05/08 07:58:01 (permalink)
    Then you can enter the following string:
    HKLM\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Rapture\Use Single Folder
    And set it to "Yes"
    Then move everything into the folder where you installed Rapture, and refresh the browser.

Who was that masked man? I didn't even get a chance to thank him ...
    fr4ncesco
    • Total Posts : 197
    RE: Rapture Modulation Matrix Vs Midi Learn 2008/05/08 08:48:14 (permalink)
    Finally, Francescos has some really, really nice samples/patches.

thanks mate, too kind

looking forward to finish this pack, there's still quite a lot of work to do, we'll see...
    post edited by fr4ncesco - 2008/05/08 08:49:58
    torhan
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4271
    RE: Rapture Modulation Matrix Vs Midi Learn 2008/05/08 08:55:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: b rock

Only complaint their is that the Prgrams go in aplication data and the sounds go in program files.
    That's "progress" for you. I can't stand that, either.
    I have created over 60 patches from scratch and I now have sound forge so I have been making my own samples.
    Hey Pablo, if you're so inclined ...

Good to see PA back online.

Sonar Platinum
    Premier Tracks
    ASCAP
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1