Rapture - Modulation Matrix

Author
awilki01
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 817
2006/04/02 18:26:17 (permalink)

Rapture - Modulation Matrix

I am trying to control either the Volume or On button for the Mixer E1. I set CC23 in the modulation matrix for Volume 1. I set the envelope in my MIDI track using channel 1, control 23 and it is affecting something, but not the volume of element 1. I also see no option for the ON/OFF feature of the mixer in the modulation matrix. Shouldn't I see the parameter move if it is working. MIDI learn works great, but I rather work off track envelopes for certain parameter adjustments.

If anyone has any insight as to what I might be doing wrong, please let me know :)

Adam

EDIT: I just figured out the volume. It seems to change it in relation to where the volume knob currently is. However, I would still like to know how to turn that element off and on using MIDI (without having to use MIDI learn).
post edited by awilki01 - 2006/04/02 18:37:40

10 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Rapture - Modulation Matrix 2006/04/02 21:58:04 (permalink)
    I would still like to know how to turn that element off and on using MIDI (without having to use MIDI learn).
    You're using Sonar HS, right? I'm going to assume that you know how to use the DXi Automation 'widgets' in the Track Inspector there. If not, do a quick search on the Sonar forum under b rock, and you'll find quite a few places where I wrote that up in detail. Set your timeframe for a year or more back, though. It wasn't recently.

You need to reassign one of the automation 'widgets' (right-click menu) to the Element On/Off [01 - 06]. It's a huge list; look close to the bottom (in the DXi version). Once you have the 'widget(s) reassigned, right-click on each one. Then bring up the MIDI Remote Control dialog, and bind your MIDI message to it there. HTH
    awilki01
    RE: Rapture - Modulation Matrix 2006/04/04 20:26:05 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies. I got kind of sidetracked a little. I will give this a shot when I can. It might be next week. I just wanted to let you know I did see your responses....

Adam
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Rapture - Modulation Matrix 2006/04/05 07:55:03 (permalink)
    Hello Adam,

Just a few words to expand a bit on the modulation matrix vs. MIDI learn assignments.

The modulation matrix allows you to assign multiple sources to the same destination, with different values and ranges. You might assign, for instance, Modulation Wheel to volume with 6dB to get a slight boost, a button with 96dB plus a fixed source (CC127) with -96dB just to get an on-off control in reverse form, and a pedal sending CC20 with 24dB to use as fade for two elements in a particular patch.

All those assignments work at once, and the modulation matrix allows them per-patch. That means, select a new patch and you got a new set.

Those also -add- to the widgets position, for the cases where the widget is available. Thanks to that, you can use them all -plus- record the widget automation by handling it with your mouse, in direct-record mode. Additionally, many of the parameters can get a much bigger range than the widget allows using the mod matrix. Widgets are adjusted to represent a safe universe of values when sound tweaking, but that universe can be extended using the matrix in case you -do- want and are absolutely sure of what are you moving. Ears, then speakers protection driven.

The MIDI learn, on the other hand, is global. This is intended to 'adapt' Rapture or Dimension Pro to your controller set. Via MIDI learn, you can also assign many controllers to a single parameter (or to multiple parameters), and keep those assignments for all patches, unchanged. We call this duality of mod matrix and MIDI learn "local" assignments (per-patch) vs. "global" assignments (all patches).

For instance, I use to play Rapture using a WX5 breath controller, and keep a special MIDI config file for that, which I want in all patches. Then, I can store particular subtleties of different patches using the mod matrix.

There's also a way to switch MIDI config files by renaming them, but I wouldn't step on b rock responsibilities.

-René

awilki01
    RE: Rapture - Modulation Matrix 2006/04/05 13:30:48 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone.

Chad, your procedure worked great and has helped me get the effect I needed.

Rene, you have opened my mind to the possibilities I can do with Rapture - thank you!

Tom,
    I found that link: http://forum.cakewalk.com/m.asp?m=161397&mpage=1&key=PSYN

Let me know if that's not the one.

I believe you base this on the premise the effect is in the Effects bin. I can't arm anything for automation when I right click unless there is something in the effects bin. I use this technique when I apply CamelSpace to my effects bin and it works great. However, Rapture is part of the MIDI and Audio track in Sonar 4 HS. There is nothing in the effects bin.

Perhaps I just misunderstand you....

Adam
    b rock
    RE: Rapture - Modulation Matrix 2006/04/05 14:26:02 (permalink)
    However, Rapture is part of the MIDI and Audio track in Sonar 4 HS. There is nothing in the effects bin.
    Understood. And, yes, that's one of many link locations where I detailed the procedure for MIDI Control/automation of 'widgets'. You're using the Insert Dxi Synth method of loading synths with a paired MIDI & Audio track. At the time, that method did not display 'widgets' in the Track Inspector for the synth loaded. That may have been addressed in Sonar5, or even within your own version of Sonar HS. I going to assume that it hasn't.

Another way of loading a synth is to create your own MIDI & Audio track manually, and independently. Loading a synth is then accomplished by right-clicking in the Audio track's Effects Bin, and selecting your synth. Then you point the MIDI track's output to the Audio track containing the synth (it'll now show something like 7 - Rapture in your choices). That last procedure binds the two tracks together.

So, what's the advantage to that? Firstly, it's always good to know that you have options. Second, the 'widgets' for the loaded synth are now available to the Track Inspector, and you can follow the explanation in my link. You can still load Audio FX via the Effects Bin 'downstream' from your synth, and both (all) are selectable for manipulation in the Track Inspector. It's a different way to configure a set of MIDI/Audio tracks that has its own set of advantages. HTH
    awilki01
    RE: Rapture - Modulation Matrix 2006/04/05 15:21:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: b rock

However, Rapture is part of the MIDI and Audio track in Sonar 4 HS. There is nothing in the effects bin.
    Understood. And, yes, that's one of many link locations where I detailed the procedure for MIDI Control/automation of 'widgets'. You're using the Insert Dxi Synth method of loading synths with a paired MIDI & Audio track. At the time, that method did not display 'widgets' in the Track Inspector for the synth loaded. That may have been addressed in Sonar5, or even within your own version of Sonar HS. I going to assume that it hasn't.

Another way of loading a synth is to create your own MIDI & Audio track manually, and independently. Loading a synth is then accomplished by right-clicking in the Audio track's Effects Bin, and selecting your synth. Then you point the MIDI track's output to the Audio track containing the synth (it'll now show something like 7 - Rapture in your choices). That last procedure binds the two tracks together.

So, what's the advantage to that? Firstly, it's always good to know that you have options. Second, the 'widgets' for the loaded synth are now available to the Track Inspector, and you can follow the explanation in my link. You can still load Audio FX via the Effects Bin 'downstream' from your synth, and both (all) are selectable for manipulation in the Track Inspector. It's a different way to configure a set of MIDI/Audio tracks that has its own set of advantages. HTH

Thanks! That makes sense. I'll give it a shot. I do something similar with CamelSpace. I put CamelSpace in the effects bin of my audio track. Now, I had to figure out how to get MIDI learn to work with it. I had to create a different MIDI track and have it's output set to the input of CamelSpace. Voila! MIDI Learn started working for me. I had to re-run the VST adapter and make sure CamelSpace was configured as a DXi synth first. Otherwise, it wouldn't work.

Adam
    b rock
    RE: Rapture - Modulation Matrix 2006/04/08 11:26:51 (permalink)
    There's also a way to switch MIDI config files by renaming them, but I wouldn't step on b rock responsibilities.
    How's that for missing an opening?

It appears that Rapture/Dimension Pro 1.2 looks for the MidiCfg00.bin file when launched. If you want more than one MIDI Learn configuration, open up Window's Explorer (or similar), and rename that to MidiCfg01.bin and so on. It's in Rapture's (DP 1.2's) MIDI subfolder. RP/DP will use the original config file while it's still open, so delete the track and relaunch. You can now configure another setup.

Obviously, this lends itself to a whole variety of MIDI Learn configs. When you want a particular one to be used, just rename it to MidiCfg00.bin before launch. I don't see why you couldn't name these alternate setups with user-friendly names, because you're renaming them later on anyway. Cool feature.
    MurderDethKill
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1904
    RE: Rapture - Modulation Matrix 2006/04/08 14:14:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: b rock

How's that for missing an opening?

It appears that Rapture/Dimension Pro 1.2 looks for the MidiCfg00.bin file when launched. If you want more than one MIDI Learn configuration, open up Window's Explorer (or similar), and rename that to MidiCfg01.bin and so on. It's in Rapture's (DP 1.2's) MIDI subfolder. RP/DP will use the original config file while it's still open, so delete the track and relaunch. You can now configure another setup.

Obviously, this lends itself to a whole variety of MIDI Learn configs. When you want a particular one to be used, just rename it to MidiCfg00.bin before launch. I don't see why you couldn't name these alternate setups with user-friendly names, because you're renaming them later on anyway. Cool feature.

needs wiki-ing...
    post edited by MurderDethKill - 2006/04/08 14:21:53

My site i guess;)
    Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
    b3gsus@msn.com
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1293
    RE: Rapture - Modulation Matrix 2008/11/25 14:31:37 (permalink)
    I Thank all for the pointers..... Still not as clear as I would hope for but I can try some of the suggestions see if it can open another door!!!?? Really do appreciate everyone's help... Wildman

Wildman,,aka,,,"Nick Danger"
    Studiocat Core2Quad Q9550 w/P45 Cset XP-Pro Sonar Pro 8, 2 FF 800, Wclock, Avalon VT-737, Focusrite V Master,Eureka, 2-LA-4s, Neumann U87,TLM-103,Rode NTK,MCU,Event SP8s, DynAudio BM5As VS-2480 4 DA88
    2-Mackie 24/8buss
    Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: Rapture - Modulation Matrix 2008/11/25 16:46:08 (permalink)
    Now there are a number of Rapture learning resources available. These posts were written over 2 years ago.

Check this thread:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1550858

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1