Rapture Pataches?

Author
Loketo
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 33
2008/03/03 18:07:59 (permalink)

Rapture Pataches?

Just starting out with Rapture,does anyone have any patches they really like?- to point me in the right direction.I know I have to learn the program myself and Rapture is all about making the right patch work for me but if you could help me save time it would be nice.'Set your mind free and your ass will follow'

18 Replies Related Threads

ckatrun411
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: Rapture Pataches? 2008/03/04 00:11:27 (permalink)
    Rapture comes with like 600 amazing patches. Rapture is also a major PITA for a newbie to get a hang of.

I suggest... Reverse engineer the patches.. Explore the filter and envelope settings, see what wavetables the oscillators are using... Simon Cowelll has written a book on cakewalk synths, and another one that is a free pdf download titled, " how 2 make a noise "

I think any patches that are in Rapture should really cover your needs in the beginning. What sound r u looking for? Leads? bass? Pads? its all in the rapture banks, it really is, get the books..

cheers

Russell.Whaley
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2755
    RE: Rapture Pataches? 2008/03/04 22:23:47 (permalink)
    Buy Simon Cann's Cakewalk Synthesizers, available in the Cakewalk store and elsewhere. A very good resource for getting in at ground level and working your way up.

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Rapture Pataches? 2008/03/05 17:33:18 (permalink)
    Both XP1 and XP2 come with 350 new programs each.
    When you've exhausted those possibilitities, here's another 111 presets. And there's plenty more where that came from.
    does anyone have any patches they really like?
    I'm especially fond of the ones with "TB" in front of them.
    Actually, that's not true. I don't know why they picked the weirdest of the weird ones for Rapture / LE.
    I have to learn the program myself and Rapture is all about making the right patch work for me but if you could help me save time it would be nice.
    I'm not entirely certain that I understand what you're after here. Would you like some subjective opinions on what we'd consider to be 'best of show' presets? Maybe our favorite lead or pad presets, for example, or an unusually rich synth bass sound?

Or would you rather that we point to specific presets that really demonstrate how to get a particular signature sound out of Rapture's inner workings?
    Loketo
    RE: Rapture Pataches? 2008/03/05 18:26:06 (permalink)
    Hey b rock I am interested in 'best of show' for starters what little I have heard so far is very impressive.For practical patches I am interested in rich synth bass.My interest would be to combine techno/trance with(over/under&with) African poly rhythms(Soukus).Right now I am waiting for Cakewalk's Synthesizer book by Simon Cann.If you would'nt mind I would like to know I get Sonar 4 to record DXI's(Rapture).I can at least hear the patches when I press insert but no recordings comes through.
    b rock
    RE: Rapture Pataches? 2008/03/05 19:37:16 (permalink)
    Right now I am waiting for Cakewalk's Synthesizer book by Simon Cann.
    That's a good move. It's an excellent reference, but it's also a good read, start to finish.
    If you would'nt mind I would like to know I get Sonar 4 to record DXI's(Rapture).I can at least hear the patches when I press insert but no recordings comes through.
    You're most of the way there. Did you arm the MIDI track portion of the Rapture pair for recording?

In many of the view windows (Track View; Console View), you'll see an [R] button that arms that track; getting it ready for recording. That will enable the main Record button [0] button in one of the transport bars. Press the transport's Record to start 'printing' what's coming in on your MIDI track (from your controller keyboard, etc.)
    post edited by b rock - 2008/03/05 19:38:54
    fr4ncesco
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 197
    RE: Rapture Pataches? 2008/03/06 06:57:37 (permalink)
    I have got something under preparation, and b rock knows about it...

but it won't happen soon (bad news) because of my little spare time and because it's becoming bigger and bigger, beyond the initial scope (good news, after all)
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Rapture Pataches? 2008/03/06 08:09:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: fr4ncesco

Speak freely...
    fr4ncesco
    RE: Rapture Pataches? 2008/03/06 08:40:06 (permalink)
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1251592

it started as a conversion but soot it became something more challenging:
    - more samples/waveforms
    - more presets
    - deeper use of Rapture exclusive features, for me it's still quite a new instrument
    - (maybe) some sfz programming with a new set of samples, not just single-cycle waveforms

honestly, I have *no idea* about a release date, that's all I can say at the moment
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Rapture Pataches? 2008/03/06 10:56:36 (permalink)
    fr4cesco,

cool. Can't wait, but I guess I will have to.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    b rock
    RE: Rapture Pataches? 2008/03/06 17:40:16 (permalink)
    ... and b rock hasn't been nearly been holding up his part of the 'bargain'. Apologies again, Francesco; it seems like I've been working away from home since last Christmas. All I can say publicly is ... absolutely incredible. And I haven't yet had a chance to thoroughly check out the latest.

Keep your eyes open for this release, folks.
    agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: Rapture Pataches? 2008/03/06 20:07:57 (permalink)
    Tom, what is the exact path to place your presets folder?

b rock
    RE: Rapture Pataches? 2008/03/06 20:51:33 (permalink)
    the exact path
    Here's as close at it came to a ReadMe file from the original thread. I'm not sure if I suitcased that into the archive as a text file or not.

Let's see. It was under C:\Program Data\ for a while when I fought Vista. You're XP 64, right? Under XP Pro, my exact path is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Cakewalk\Rapture\Programs\ (Or whatever ...\User Profile\... ) If you extract the .zip file to that location, my presets will be contained in a 00 - Relative subfolder. Refresh the Program Browser with F5, and you should be all set.

But let me know if you run into any snags. There's also a 111th preset hidden in there as a ".pog" file.

Edit:
    My interest would be to combine techno/trance ...
    I took a little tongue-in-cheek poke at that with the 'TB - Should B Clubbed 4 This' preset.
    I'll have to think about some more serious examples out of the thousand-plus mentioned in this thread.
    post edited by b rock - 2008/03/06 21:43:51
    Loketo
    RE: Rapture Pataches? 2008/03/06 21:54:51 (permalink)
    Hey b rock It won't be until monday before I get a copy of Simon Cann's book so I would like to hit you up with a few questions on how to use Rapture.First of all I can insert Rapture as a DXi and get sounds (patches)out to work but that's all-midi or audio it dosen't matter. Is there a something(button) I should press to get the DXi to record?I am also learning Velocity and it works for me as a VST.Could there be a difference between DXi and a VST depending on the way my computer is set UP?There must be certain steps I should take to set up Sonar program to use Rapture?I know it's hard to explain and maybe I should wait until monday but I haven't seen any tutorials for Rapture on any sites on the net.Digital-aura helped me out quite a lot with a tutorial for Velocity.
    Trusty
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 590
    RE: Rapture Pataches? 2008/03/06 23:12:27 (permalink)
    Not to go against the grain, but as has been said, Rapture is a beast as a newbie, and as such, I think of it as an advantage! Since my "tweaking" skills are way beyond my "programming" skills (even on the every day subtractives), I took Rapture as an oppertunity to learn a synth, that aside from my lack of programming skills, I wouldn't be too, too far behind the curve learning this wavetable thingy with the envelope generators...

Now, I will never be b rock, but I can catch up with a guy with those skills if I out live them twenty years. lol j/k Seriously though, look at not knowing crap about it as a plus. RTM, and possibly the Cakewalk book, but the manual tells you what everything does (though not how to use it for this or that....).

I started off by learning how to make a single cycle wavetable, no, nothing to do with Rapture, except that it uses those (I guess) or can anyway... I had to use both Audacity and the crappy, badly-needs-an-update-to-at-least-catch-the-free-Audacity, Pyro Audio Creator to make them. Audacity for chopping the sample, finding the zero crossing, and Pyro to convert it to mono.

Then, with this wavetable (or up to six) that I made, I started figuring out, section by section, what does what to my sound...

Reverse engineering works for some, but since I didn't really know what did what anyway, reverse engineering in the dark does little if you don't know much about envelope generators and step generators...

Anyway, other than the mucking about with the envelope generators, Rapture works like any other synth pretty much when using the regular triangle, saw, sine, etc. waveforms...But using custom wavetables, though 90% of mine regardless of my sample source (a synth, a sample from a record, a vocal, whatever), when loaded, sound the same (a digital fart best describes it), you really learn how this thing can shape sounds into wonderful patches.
    fr4ncesco
    RE: Rapture Pataches? 2008/03/07 08:55:16 (permalink)

and b rock hasn't been nearly been holding up his part of the 'bargain'. Apologies again, Francesco; it seems like I've been working away from home since last Christmas...

no need for apologies at all, Tom. As I said, *we* have plenty of time.
    Instead, thanks for your wonderful tutorials, really an impressive work and incredibly useful

...All I can say publicly is ... absolutely incredible

thanks!
    tanuki_x
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: Rapture Pataches? 2008/03/07 12:40:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Loketo
    ... I haven't seen any tutorials for Rapture on any sites on the net.

Try starting with these:

It sounds like you have some great ideas and the drive to do something about them; keep us posted with what you come up with.
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Rapture Pataches? 2008/03/07 21:17:11 (permalink)
    Loketo,
    Rapture is pretty much wide open. Explore it. The perfect patch is more about what you want to do. Many of the patches respond dynamically to keyboard technique, and you may not get the full effect if you are entering notes in PRV.
    If you check my Soundclick page, Celebration and Cypress Drift are pretty much pure Rapture presets. Celebration is all one preset, responding to the keyboard. Moonlight is a Rapture clean organ sound run through an amp sim. The sky's the limit, really. Rapture is aptly named, and what you get out of it really depend on what you do and how you play it.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    b rock
    RE: Rapture Pataches? 2008/03/08 06:05:03 (permalink)
    Could there be a difference between DXi and a VST depending on the way my computer is set UP?
    No. There may be the occasional oddball difference in automation parameters or something, but for the most part, they're functionally identical to the end user. With Rapture, feel free to use either the DXi or VSTi versions.
    Is there a something(button) I should press to get the DXi to record?
    First of all, need to know if it's something other than what I described in [this reply above], or whether you just happened to miss that description. Let me know the answer to that queston, and then we can proceed from there.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1