Rapture Programming - An Organized Course

Author
Rick McNab
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1047
2006/06/27 03:48:04 (permalink)

Rapture Programming - An Organized Course

I thought I might browse all of the forums and assemble all of the bits and pieces of Rapture information into my word processor, so that I could have a central resource to learn how to program this synth. (BTW, while browsing I notice that the "Rapture Signal Flow" parts 1 and 2 are missing their graphics for some reason)

It's just going to take too long. I don't have the time.

This is more confirmation to me that an organized, step by step set of tutorials on programming Rapture is sorely needed. Even stopping by Project5.com, I find loads of tips and tutorials on Dimension, but none on Rapture.

Is the budding Rapturist left to "crate dig" through hundreds (maybe thousands) of forum posts, copying line after line of non-relevant replies, so as not to miss anything, just to get to a few nuggets of programming wisdom? There must be a better way.

Will someone (or group) of people who know this synth (you know who you are), please get together and organize a set of basic tutorials on how to get started programming this synth? Not the esoteric multi-modulation routing through the step-gens after back-feedbacking some custom loaded sfz waves all processed with scala tuning.....yes, I believe many including myself will want to get that deep EVENTUALLY. But not until we've MASTERED THE BASICS!

I believe what most beginning Rapture users (those who want to do some tweaking beyond the presets) will want to do is learn how to create some basic sounds from scratch, and then how to start introducing the huge range of modifiers available in Rapture, such as the LFOs, Step-Gens, and comprehensive effects pallete.

But we need to learn this STEP BY STEP in an ORGANIZED manner. PRECEPT UPON PRECEPT.

It is somewhat frustrating that those who seem to know so much about the inner workings of Rapture confine their discussions to topics so advanced that no beginner (like myself), would ever be able to make sense of it.

There is an art to being an expert at something and being able to teach it to beginners. Surely some of you must be blessed with that talent.

Please help us out. I am so excited about this synth and getting really bored of flicking through the presets. I want to create my own sounds, but I need some guidance and direction. I am sure I'm not the only one!

Thanks!

26 Replies Related Threads

cb8rwh
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Rapture Programming - An Organized Course 2006/06/27 07:18:18 (permalink)
    Hi Rick,

I am willing to give this a shot - I am by no means an expert but I do tend to program my own sounds/patches. What about if I start with a pad sound (i like programming pads!!)

What sort of pad would you like? Smooth, nasty??

Cheers

Rich
    Rick McNab
    RE: Rapture Programming - An Organized Course 2006/06/27 17:21:15 (permalink)
    Chad - Thx!

Rich - personally, I would like all kinds of pads - quite a few transparent background, as well as some nasty ones like you mention. But again, this would be much more helpful in the context of an organized course of study, rather than another addition to the patchwork of Rapture information already out there.

Someone needs to be in charge (and again, you know who you are) who can assemble, edit, and present this material in a step by step, precept upon precept way. This person must be expert with the program and have a knack for organization and presentation in a manner where beginners and intermediate users can learn in a scholarly fashion. Otherwise we're right back to randomly knicking skills from here, there, and everywhere.

If this would happen, it would a) be of HUGE benefit to the Rapture community, and b) I predict be a sales booster for Rapture. I know personally I am much more likely to buy a piece of software that is supported well with training materials. That's what we need for Rapture - a training course with lots of sound programming tutorials.

As a reference, I recall the Access Virus has offered a free .pdf course on programming analog synths, using (of course) the Virus as an example. This is exactly what we need for Rapture.

http://www.access-music.de/news.php4

Scroll down to bottom of page - look for "Virus Programming Tutorial" dated 10/30/2002
    post edited by Rick McNab - 2006/06/27 17:30:59
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Rapture Programming - An Organized Course 2006/06/27 17:26:24 (permalink)
    Just such a thing has already been started, though it is small. It needs the help of many more people--who are learning and using this synth--to post little tutorials or tips on the various things they discover as they use it--things that would be useful to the average Rapture beginner. So far we have the more heavy duty stuff from Tom and Chad and René there but if everyone would sign up for a Wiki account and post what they are learning we could have a bigger and better resource which I think will come very close to what you have expressed.

So everyone, add to this page: Rapture Wiki

-Techead

(wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki wiki)
    post edited by techead - 2006/06/27 17:37:13
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Rapture Programming - An Organized Course 2006/06/27 17:34:34 (permalink)
    Once upon a time, z3ta+ customers thought that it was some kind of cryptic beast who noone would ever understand.

I then come with my opinion that z3ta+ was definitely *not* a good synth to start learning. I was soooo wrong, and was proven wrong multiple times. Some of the best sounds I've ever heard in my life were created by users who learned synth programming with z3ta+.

So I won't make that mistake again. I believe I can contribute with this series of tutorials, and I do know other people who can help. But still, I would like you guys to 'structure' what you want to hear about. I might spend hours talking about the implementation details of the interpolator, but possibly what you want to hear is how to make a bass patch.

So, go ahead. Make a skeleton, we'll fill in the blanks.

-René
    Rick McNab
    RE: Rapture Programming - An Organized Course 2006/06/27 18:36:42 (permalink)
    This is so good to hear. I believe absolutely that Rapture could be a "beginner's synth", yet with all of its vast advanced programming power.

Here is how to set up a series of tutorials:

1) Begin at the beginning - installation, setup, integrating with various DAW programs, integrating with various keyboard controllers

2) Start with simple sounds. Remember the Minimoog, Prophet V, Arp Odyssey? What range of sounds could you get out of those synths? HUGE! And they were extremely limited compared to Rapture. So let's create a bunch of sounds, STEP BY STEP, based on these relatively simple methods of synthesis. That will teach us how to manipulate the basics - cutoff, resonance, EGs, etc..

3) Then let's move toward some BASIC modulation techniques - applying LFOs to various destinations. This is where my skill drops off, so I can't suggest too many specifics.

4) Once we know about basic modulation, let's look comprehensively at the Step Gens. I want to know them INSIDE and OUT!

5) Next, let's look at loading our own custom samples (or sfzs as you call them), and how to use those in our own custom sounds.

6) Finally, let's take a comprehensive look at using Effects, at the element as well as the global level

ALL OF THIS NEEDS TO BE WITHIN THE CONTEXT OF CREATING SOUNDS, ALWAYS! Everything being practically applied. Let's not just talk about it, let's use each technique we use in a sound we create.

And last but not least, let's promote the you know what out of it on all of the usual music resource destinations, like Harmony Central and Sonic State. I would be happy to spend time promoting such a valuable resource.

I'm excited that Rene and the rest of the Cakewalk team are willing to respond, and to look at pursuing such a venture!
    Kelsin
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Rapture Programming - An Organized Course 2006/06/27 18:38:41 (permalink)
    This is another newb posting but it seems to me that some of the real basics that you want are probably common to lots of synths. I read through the Rapture instruction manual and most things I didn't understand I googled and found generic synth help.

There are many synth guides online that help with how to make a basic horn sound, or string sound, or percussion using normal subtractive synthesis. All of these guides can be followed in rapture pretty easily considering all of the normal wavetables are included in rapture. Once you get that type of thing down the more advanced things about Rapture become available.

So I guess my basic point is a question: are the basic things you need to know common to most (virtual) analog synths and can be learned through generic tutorials (explanations about envelopes / lfo's / filters)?
    Rick McNab
    RE: Rapture Programming - An Organized Course 2006/06/27 19:39:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Kelsin

This is another newb posting

LOL
    post edited by Rick McNab - 2006/06/27 19:59:17
    lawapa
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Rapture Programming - An Organized Course 2006/06/27 20:22:17 (permalink)
    Kelsin: You are majorly corectimundo. The more you know about the fundamentals the better equipped you be to program not only Rapture but also Dpro, z3ta, Pentagon or any other synth you may have or wish to have. While some synths do use a very proprietary format it still is based on the fundamentals of sound. AND this knowledge you have gained, sought out, will not be wasted.
    Rick McNab
    RE: Rapture Programming - An Organized Course 2006/06/28 06:02:50 (permalink)
    I don't disagree that many fundamental synth programming techniques are non-instrument specific. However as I understand it, Rapture does not generate its sound via a typical "oscillator/filter/eg" structure, rather generating its raw sound via a series of elements which contain sfz files. This is certainly different than a Minimoog or Prophet V structure (both of which I own or have owned, as well as an SE-1, and a bunch of hardware romplers, so I do know my way around the WGs, EGs, and Filters of your standard synth).

Anyway, we're off the point. The point is that I am hoping (lobbying even) for some of the Rapture "heavyweights", including Rene`, to create a step by step precept upon precept tutorial starting from the beginning and working to the advanced. Whether or not people have previous experience with other synths, or can get it from other sources is irrelevant. I am talking about a completely "Rapture-centric" course. I don't own any of those other softys. I want to concentrate on Rapture. It's a deep synth - enough synth to keep me completely occupied.
    Rick McNab
    RE: Rapture Programming - An Organized Course 2006/06/28 06:05:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: René

Once upon a time, z3ta+ customers thought that it was some kind of cryptic beast who noone would ever understand.

I then come with my opinion that z3ta+ was definitely *not* a good synth to start learning. I was soooo wrong, and was proven wrong multiple times. Some of the best sounds I've ever heard in my life were created by users who learned synth programming with z3ta+.

So I won't make that mistake again. I believe I can contribute with this series of tutorials, and I do know other people who can help. But still, I would like you guys to 'structure' what you want to hear about. I might spend hours talking about the implementation details of the interpolator, but possibly what you want to hear is how to make a bass patch.

So, go ahead. Make a skeleton, we'll fill in the blanks.

-René

My vote is a set of bread and butter synth sounds - you know - analog pads, analog brass, analog bass, bells, leads, that kind of stuff. From those sounds, which you would teach us how to create from scratch, we would then progress to the modulation and step gen aspects, as well as the elemental and global effects.

Later on you could offer an advanced course in the esoteric stuff, accompanied by the cryptic language (and I don't mean as regards the actual usage of the instrument) that you experts like B, Paradroid, et al use when discussing the deep depths of Rapture
    lawapa
    RE: Rapture Programming - An Organized Course 2006/06/28 08:45:23 (permalink)
    Rapture does not generate its sound via a typical "oscillator/filter/eg" structure, rather generating its raw sound via a series of elements which contain sfz files.

Rapture does indeed generate its sound via a typical "oscillator/filter/eg" structure. One difference is it's a sampling synth which means it's not limited to a predefined set of wave forms.

The sfz started life defining typical sample sets and has been expanded to include wavetable. So this unique function does set it apart. but the gui in Rapture allows for very big sounds.

When I first started putting sample sets together for myself I could find no step by step. So I got the tools I needed. and set out to do it. I did ask questions but by looking a pro sets under the microscope. And trial and error got me the rest of the way.

So Rick, what would you like to do today?

SFZ

<region> This can be thought of just like element in the gui,But can act like more than 1 instance depending. It just tells the synth this is one part of a whole.

sample= this sets the sound, wavetable or wave file and you can mix and match.
    oscillator=on This turns on the wavetable mode for sounds leave it out for wave files
    tune=
    transpose=
    pan=
    volume=
    delay=
    offset= if you think about it. It's just like the gui but with no distracting stuff.

to load 2 wavetables start with=
    <region> then add the wavetable with-
    sample= file location
    you will need this to turn on the wavetable mode in rapture
    oscillator=on
    now you have set on wave table copy/paste the first and change the defining points

<region>
    sample=
    oscillator=on

<region>
    sample=
    oscillator=on

want to add more? copy/paste the <region>'s and go again
    post edited by lawapa - 2006/06/28 21:00:21
    Markus Copol
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 691
    RE: Rapture Programming - An Organized Course 2006/06/28 10:39:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lawapa

SFZ

<region> This can be thought of just like element in the gui
    oscillator=on This turns on the wavetable mode for sounds leave it out for wave files
    tune=
    transpose=
    pan=
    volume=
    delay=
    offset= if you think about it. It's just like the gui but with no distracting stuff.

sample= file location
    oscillator=on
    now you have set on wave table copy/paste the first and change the defining points

<region>
    sample=
    oscillator=on

<region>
    sample=
    oscillator=on

Lawpa am fresh in all this. How do I get inside the file and do the SFZ commands . another thing why is it important to work with it. Can I work this by tweaking the actual GUI and not worry about going in and deal with a jaw dropper . thanks
    Rick McNab
    RE: Rapture Programming - An Organized Course 2006/06/28 17:25:36 (permalink)
    Thanks, "L" (do we have a name or similar we can use). I will try that. I definitely want to get into loading custom waves into the element slots.

As far as what I want to do, coming from a long history of analog synths, and for experimentation and learning purposes (I still want my set of bread and butter patches I mentioned in an earlier post!) I want to get sawtooth, pulse, and sine waves happening, each with their own patch, with no effects or modulation. Filter wide open, no resonance, no EG influence. Then I would work with those waves, maybe doubling them in additional elements, and little by little introducing filtering, EGs, modulation, and effects.

I recall the range of sounds and effects guys like Alan Howarth got out of a couple of 5 voice non-touch sensitive Prophet 5s, with some creative effects processing. Now you could easily do that in Rapture, and much more. That's why I'm so excited about this synth.

http://www.alanhowarth.com/bio.shtml
    lawapa
    RE: Rapture Programming - An Organized Course 2006/06/28 20:34:15 (permalink)
    Lawpa am fresh in all this. How do I get inside the file and do the SFZ commands

All sfz files are in essence text files. You write then in notepad and then rename them to anysound.sfz

Look at that closely. It must have the .sfz Then they will open in Rapture/Dpro. Everything I've outlined can be done within the gui. But on closer examination you can achieve somethings with the sfz format that are a tad difficult just using the controls. What Rick explained he wanted to do can be done within the gui with very good results. And for the most part most sounds can be done using just the gui. But using sfz I have exceeded the possibilities within a single instance because there are no limits. And if their are limits I do not know where they are. So you can learn this or you can use the gui. It's all about where you'd like to go and how far down that path you'd like to venture
    lawapa
    RE: Rapture Programming - An Organized Course 2006/06/28 20:43:00 (permalink)
    Rick if you click on my moniker my name is prominately displayed in my profile

Think of both Dpro and Rapture as very powerful tools. The GUI exposes just a tiny fraction of these synths potiential. Everthing AND THEN SOME is possible using the sfz format. And the very best part is. It comes free with the synth. No charge. If you so desire you can learn it or just use it as it comes. It is very user friendly and will not inhibit you creatives jucies what so ever if you decide to just do music and not deal with the extras.
    Markus Copol
    RE: Rapture Programming - An Organized Course 2006/06/28 20:49:34 (permalink)

It's all about where you'd like to go and how far down that path you'd like to venture

thanks
    lawapa
    RE: Rapture Programming - An Organized Course 2006/06/28 20:59:22 (permalink)
    Here's more

offset= sets the start point for play in samples. If you have a wavefile and just want to play part of it offset will define where the synth starts playing the file in samples not seconds.

Delay= this will delay the start time of a file in seconds. So lets say you only want to play part of a file and you want it to start 2 seconds after note on. First you define the start time of a file with offset= this will start the play only at the sample you define then you want the file to play at that start time 2 seconds after note on you do this with delay=2.0 then it will play the defined start time delayed by the 2 seconds you defined with delay=. Does that make sence
    mumpcake
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Rapture Programming - An Organized Course 2006/06/29 00:26:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Markus Copol

SFZ

<region> This can be thought of just like element in the gui
    tune=
    transpose=
    pan=
    volume=
    delay=

sample= file location
    oscillator=on

<region>
    sample=
    oscillator=on

<region>
    sample=
    oscillator=on

Lawpa am fresh in all this. How do I get inside the file and do the SFZ commands . another thing why is it important to work with it. Can I work this by tweaking the actual GUI and not worry about going in and deal with a jaw dropper . thanks

Here's a list of all the things you can do with the sfz format:
    http://www.rgcaudio.com/sfzformat.htm

I actually find that setting up an sfz using a text file is significantly easier than trying to set up soundfonts or other soundsets using their GUI.
    Rick McNab
    RE: Rapture Programming - An Organized Course 2006/06/29 05:19:52 (permalink)

Rick if you click on my moniker my name is prominately displayed in my profile

Thanks for the great tutorial, Larry.
    Rick McNab
    RE: Rapture Programming - An Organized Course 2006/06/29 05:21:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: techead

Just such a thing has already been started, though it is small. It needs the help of many more people--who are learning and using this synth--to post little tutorials or tips on the various things they discover as they use it--things that would be useful to the average Rapture beginner. So far we have the more heavy duty stuff from Tom and Chad and René there but if everyone would sign up for a Wiki account and post what they are learning we could have a bigger and better resource which I think will come very close to what you have expressed.

So everyone, add to this page: Rapture Wiki

-Techead

This is a great resource, and would be perfect for some of the experts to post some step by step tutorials. However there is already plenty there to get a beginning Rapturist started. Thanks for this resource, and for pointing it out.
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Rapture Programming - An Organized Course 2006/06/29 10:23:01 (permalink)
    I want to get sawtooth, pulse, and sine waves happening, each with their own patch, with no effects or modulation. Filter wide open, no resonance, no EG influence.
    Couldn't be simpler, Rick. Either start from a fresh launching of Rapture, or go to that Program Handling icon (first of the group of four), and select Initialize Program. I'm going to suggest side-by-side comparison of basic waveforms by Element. Each Element can be considered as a complete synthesizer. If you prefer one per-Program, stop at Step 2), go to that same Program Handling icon, and Save Program As ... Repeat that for each basic program patch desired.

1). Make sure that E1 is highlighted at the top of the GUI. Click in the Wavetable Display window slot to open the Load Multisample dialog. It'll say "Empty" by default; not "Empty Program" in the slot above it. Refer to the image on page 24 of your Rapture manual. Navigate to "017 - saw mk.wav" for a basic sawtooth waveform, and double-click on it.

2). Move to the right for the DSP window. Click in the slot, and cycle from Bypass to any of the first three routings. Refer to the image on page 27 of your manual. The fourth (Filter 1 -> Decim/Bitred || Filter 2 -> Drive) routes two filters in parallel; requiring that you listen & adjust both filters at once. Click on the Off text above the Cutoff knob for Filter 1, and select one of the 16 filter types. It'll load wide-open, with no resonance. For someone familiar with analog, I'd suggest Lp 2p (lowpass; two-pole) to start.

3). The Amplitude is controlled at this point by the (behind the scenes) Master Amplitude EG. Instant attack; zero decay; steady full-level sustain; instant release. There are no modulations introduced in any parameter type [Pitch; the filters; Pan; Amp] at this point. No StepGen, LFO, or EG influence of any kind.

4). Select another Element [E2-E6 at the top], and repeat the same procedures. Refer to the diagram on page 18 of your manual. As a suggested method of covering the basics, it could play out like this:

E2 Wavetable Display Load Multisample dialog: 152 - pulse 1.wav
    E3 Wavetable Display Load Multisample dialog: 010 - square mk.wav
    E4 Wavetable Display Load Multisample dialog: 000 - sine.wav
    E5 Wavetable Display Load Multisample dialog: 007 - triangle.wav
    E6 Wavetable Display Load Multisample dialog: 900 - noise.wav

Now Save As Program ... in the Program Handling icon mentioned above. Refer to the small pic on page 10 of your manual. All six Elements enabled themselves at default Volume and Pan positions when loading in this manner, so all 6 are "On"; sounding in parallel at this point. Turn off 5 of the six Elements using the E1-E6 buttons in the Mixer section at the bottom of the GUI. At this point, you can select a single waveform, or compare/contrast among multiple waveforms.

You can also save each Mixer combination (configured by the E1-E6 buttons at the bottom). Disabled Elements use no system resources. The setup above would work like this:

E1 enabled; E2-E6 disabled: Save Program As Basic Sawtooth.prog
    E2 enabled; E1; E3-E6 disabled: Save Program As As Basic Pulse.prog
    E3 enabled; E1-E2; E4-E6 disabled: Save Program As Basic Square.prog
    E4 enabled; E1-E3; E5-E6 disabled: Save Program As Basic Sine.prog
    E5 enabled; E1-E4; E6 disabled: Save Program As Basic Triangle.prog
    E6 enabled; E1-E5 disabled: Save Program As Basic Noise.prog

The next step would be to read René's excellent Secrets of Rapture: PWM thread, and explore how simply changing the Phase of on oscillator can produce an amazing variety of sound. For that matter, hunt down any of René's responses (click on his profile to see the last 100 posts) and give them a read. You'll walk away having learned something from reading any one of these at random.
    Markus Copol
    RE: Rapture Programming - An Organized Course 2006/06/29 10:39:05 (permalink)

Here's more

offset= sets the start point for play in samples. If you have a wavefile and just want to play part of it offset will define where the synth starts playing the file in samples not seconds.

Delay= this will delay the start time of a file in seconds. So lets say you only want to play part of a file and you want it to start 2 seconds after note on. First you define the start time of a file with offset= this will start the play only at the sample you define then you want the file to play at that start time 2 seconds after note on you do this with delay=2.0 then it will play the defined start time delayed by the 2 seconds you defined with delay=. Does that make sence

Sweet.

ORIGINAL: mumpcake

Here's a list of all the things you can do with the sfz format:
    http://www.rgcaudio.com/sfzformat.htm

I actually find that setting up an sfz using a text file is significantly easier than trying to set up soundfonts or other soundsets using their GUI.

just what am looking for man. I need to learn this.
    Rick McNab
    RE: Rapture Programming - An Organized Course 2006/06/29 12:02:03 (permalink)
    B, you are the best, man. Please post this over on the wiki with the other tutorials. I'm going to get started either today or tomorrow at the latest. Thanks loads!
    lawapa
    RE: Rapture Programming - An Organized Course 2006/06/29 21:11:16 (permalink)
    In difference to Brock's/Toms mastery of the gui and more I to enjoy his tutorials as well. EACH is text file'd to my DAW so I can access it offline. Sort of a offline wiki. But I've done the copy/paste thing at the wiki so I have it available as my DAW is offline and must stay that way
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Rapture Programming - An Organized Course 2006/06/30 13:27:53 (permalink)
    a set of basic tutorials
    I haven't seen this before, but there's a .pdf on Cakewalk's default Rapture page [Instruments Suite.pdf]. Nothing too extensive or complicated, and it *is* a marketing tool. But there are a couple of short tutorial/explanations on Dimension Pro & Rapture which apply to either synth. There's general programming information to be gleaned from the section on z3ta+ as well. Worth a look.
    Rick McNab
    RE: Rapture Programming - An Organized Course 2006/07/01 17:43:07 (permalink)
    That is a great resource for getting started, and I think I'll start there, then try the techniques you mentioned a couple of posts up this thread. I saved that .pdf a few months ago and remember thinking how useful it would be to get started with one of these synths. Thanks again, B!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1