Rapture Question

Author
tshear23
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24
2006/06/17 23:42:03 (permalink)

Rapture Question

Hello everyone. I just got Rapture this week and I am absolutely blown away by it. I've only barely started to work with it, but already I am really impressed by the depth of programming available and the sound quality. Okay, enough brown-nosing.

It is my understanding, that when loading your own samples into the Elements, that so long as it is only a single sample, and not a multi-sample, you can make use of the Multi function (3v, 5v, 7v, 9v). But when I try this, it doesn't work for me. I can change the Multi value to any number and detune as much as I want, and there is no audible difference in the sound as there is with the factory waves. Am I misunderstanding something, or is this a bug under OS X (I am running it within Logic Pro 7.1 as an AU).

Second, in the wish list department, is there some technical reason why selecting sounds can't be done with a drop down menu instead of having to double click in a separate browser pane? I know this seems nit-picky, but I find it really inconvenient and every other soft synth I own allows this. Anyway, thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this...

11 Replies Related Threads

lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Rapture Question 2006/06/18 00:40:10 (permalink)
    (3v, 5v, 7v, 9v). AFAIK that works with the multisamples in Raptures folder. A different thing called wavetable. But not with wavefiles. Now you can take a wave file load it into different elements and detune them individually. But a single cycle wave table is what you need for that multi function.

I don't use a mac but I can get the drop down menu. Rclick in the window that displays the patch name for the dropdown.
    tshear23
    RE: Rapture Question 2006/06/18 04:22:37 (permalink)
    Ah okay... that makes sense with the single cycles. It WOULD be nice if you could do it with full samples, too. Could make for some truly monsterous sounds. But this is still cool, as my original idea was to port the single cycle waveforms from my old Ensoniq SQ-80 into Rapture. I always loved the grit of that machine, but wished that the envelopes were snappier.

As for the patch names... there is a drop down menu, but at least in my case, it appears to just display the 8 most recent patches recalled. But like I said, I am just getting started out, so perhaps I am missing something. Thanks for the help!
    lawapa
    RE: Rapture Question 2006/06/18 11:08:22 (permalink)
    Those patches are different? You are too high. The window is in the GUI. Just below.

You can load a single wave file multiple times-up to six and then tune that file slightly different for eack instance with pan and get something big similer then using sample offset/delay set to velocity in the midi matrix for really big sounds.
    Shayne White
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 306
    RE: Rapture Question 2006/06/18 17:26:08 (permalink)
    Or you can put in a fat, multi-voice chorus effect too!
    tshear23
    RE: Rapture Question 2006/06/18 17:47:48 (permalink)
    Yeah, I am talking about the GUI. There is a little triangle next to the patch name, and this calls up the 8 most recent sounds. Whether I right or left click on the patch name, it calls up the browser. It's not a huge deal, I just find it a bit counter intuitive. I was happy to discover that you could at least cycle through the waveforms by clicking on the name, though.

And yeah, I figured I could load the sample into multiple elements and detune them that way, I was just hoping there would be a way to do it in a single element so I could have the other elements free for other stuff. I did manage to get my SQ-80 waveforms loaded in there, and MAN does it sound monsterous when using Multi. Chorus really isn't an option for me, as I don't like the way it softens the attack of sounds.

Anyway, thanks for the help, guys!
    lawapa
    RE: Rapture Question 2006/06/18 18:05:14 (permalink)
    I do believe it is possible to load up just what you described. But to do so you need to write a SFZ format file in something like notepad. Where by you load the same file with detuning and sample delay specified for a single file multipule times. This sfz file would then occupy only one element freeing up the other five elements for other things.

Using a SFZ file to load your wavefiles keeps the setting not exposed in the GUI but editing this text file is easy and quick and the text file itself is tiny. Chad Beckwith is our resident MAC/Rapture expert. And if he see's this post might post an example for a copy/paste to your wave folder?
    lawapa
    RE: Rapture Question 2006/06/18 19:46:14 (permalink)
    Ok, here what I just did. One new folder with a single wavefile copied to it.

A text file containing this this was put in the folder with the wave file and renamed to .sfz

<region>
    sample=your wave file name
    pan=-70
    tune=-10

<region>
    sample=you sample file name
    pan=70
    tune=10
    offset=350

As you can see the same file was loaded twice with 1 panned left 1 panned right but not hard, each file was offset in pitch by 10 cents for a total diff of 20 cents and the last sample file was offset by 350 samples such that it started just a touch latter. The resulting sfz file loaded the wave files into Rapture set to the sfz settings using only one element. If you would like to take this a step farther copy/paste the 2 regions again and paste below and alter the setting such that you will now have the same file loaded in 4 times each with a specific pan/tune/offset for a really fat silgle file load off your one sample.

The sfz format is so powerful you can set any parameter in the gui plus some that are not for a total control over your sound from a single element. You can also load up more than one file but bear in mind unless you want to exactly set the location the wavefile must be in the folder with the sfz file you created within a text editor. This is exactly the same as loading in the same wave file in the GUI and setting the detune parameters with the addition of sample offset for a thicker sound.

Please note I do not use a MAC so I am unaware of the differences between it and windows. please modify these instructions to suit your machine. Also note that when you use this sfz you load the sfz and not the wave file. the sfz will then load the wave file and set per it's instructions.

post edited by lawapa - 2006/06/18 19:58:31
    Shayne White
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 306
    RE: Rapture Question 2006/06/19 20:35:26 (permalink)
    That's cool -- I'll have to check it out myself!! Thanks so much for the tips! I haven't learned much about sfz but I guess I should.

There's one thing to remember, though: all these sfz tips don't work for single-cycle, aliasing-free waves. They have to be loaded directly into Rapture.

Shayne
    lawapa
    RE: Rapture Question 2006/06/19 20:42:18 (permalink)
    Oh but sir you are very wrong you can load anywave table using sfz with the opcode wavetable_on? And this means you can mix and match as many singlecycles with volume setting there level into a single element.
    lawapa
    RE: Rapture Question 2006/06/19 20:47:12 (permalink)
    If I recall correctly any and or all possible forms/wave/wavetable may be used within the SFZ format.

If you zip over to the P5 wiki the sfz format artical from Rene AND OTHERS are there for the download. These outline the opcodes and waht they do and give examples on how to use them.
    René
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Rapture Question 2006/06/19 20:56:27 (permalink)
    Lawapa is correct. Using sfz, any amount of layers can be loaded in a single element, either if they're wavetables, samples, or a combination of both. Each layer can have its own tuning/detuning, pan position, etc.

-René

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1