Rapture and KORE

Author
Rick McNab
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1047
2006/02/25 02:11:48 (permalink)

Rapture and KORE

I've done a very little perusing of this KORE technology that NI is hyping. I wonder if it only works with their synths, or if Rapture users would benefit from it?

10 Replies Related Threads

cmusicmaker
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2328
    RE: Rapture and KORE 2006/02/25 05:44:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Rick McNab

I've done a very little perusing of this KORE technology that NI is hyping. I wonder if it only works with their synths, or if Rapture users would benefit from it?

From what I have read it supports all VST's and VSTi's.

"One interface for all 3rd Party Plug-ins
    Naturally, third party Audio Unit or VST instruments and effects can also be used with KORE. All the knobs and buttons of your plug-ins that can be automated, can also be assigned to the KORE control elements with a flick of the wrist and then saved for future sessions. And the KORE Kontrol will give you the same freedom, ease-of-use and analog feel as with the NI instruments and effects as well as increasing the musical creativity in your work flow.

KORE in no way constricts the potential of your plug-ins, it simply makes them all far easier, quicker and more intuitive to use."

KORE updated details
    Rick McNab
    RE: Rapture and KORE 2006/02/25 09:55:07 (permalink)
    So then why would this be an advantage over a really good controller such as the Novation SL series?
    cmusicmaker
    RE: Rapture and KORE 2006/02/25 10:45:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Rick McNab

So then why would this be an advantage over a really good controller such as the Novation SL series?

NI claim much tighter integration (hardware + software) than anything else out there, or at least give that impression. I think many people are very happy with thier current hardware + software set up and may only be interested in the KORE software, like me. I think NI are trying to gauge initial reactions before announcing a price, but I think most people have plenty of questions about it and not enough answers...not yet anyway.

As with every other product on the planet many will prefer the features, look and feel of the KORE equally some will dismiss it as a duplication of existing ideas. Some like myself are curious to see where it would fit into my Cakewalk products.

I guess only you can answer your question once a demo of this thing is available.

NI have not even released full details yet, but will by early April. Until then we have very little info to go on.

I think the KORE is a good idea but I am only interested in the software and would ony be interested in both hardware and software if the price was very competitive indeed. Existing NI owners stand more to gain, (discounts, upgrades possibly) so however good this thing is and whatever it actually does (host, slave, instrument?) the price will be the key factor for many.

NI don't appear to want to say it outright, but it looks clearly like a full on host, with the flexibility of FL studio (rewire, VSTi or standalone), and a clear indication that they want Live users (as in live on stage and possibly Live 5 or P5 users or similar) to really see KORE as THE best way to make music.

All guess work with no hard details, but based on the info on the NI site, I don't think I am too far off.

KVR can give a rough indication of interest levels in new products (Live 4 was all over the host forum way back) but so far interest in KORE does not appear too great. That could change if they were to offer some early low price crossgrade offers. Maybe it's the hardware that people do not want.

C.

Rick McNab
    RE: Rapture and KORE 2006/02/25 19:09:05 (permalink)
    I don't know. I think these new Novation SL keyboards, as well as maybe the new CME keyboards will perform the same function - auto map with graphical readout for 16 controllers on the Novation. Any supported VSTi or DAW will map to the same controllers, so, for example, cutoff frequency will be on the same controller for each VSTi. Isn't that what KORE is promising. I agree with you. I think existing NI users will stand to benefit the most. However, since I am not one, I think I would rather invest my money in the Novation SL. Alot of hardcore programmers I think will be coming on board with that keyboard as well.
    JRich97
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Rapture and KORE 2006/02/28 11:34:04 (permalink)
    KORE appears to be more than the hardware portion. One of the biggest parts is being able to create a patch for instant recall of numerous soft synths from different manufactures. Consider pulling up your special pad mad up of sounds from Reason, Dimension Pro, Rapture, and Native Instruments. They are doing what Reason just did as far as being able to run numerous sounds and recall them and play them at the same time with tons of layers, however now you aren't simply layering sounds as before but layer Instruments, have key functions mapped the way you want them already and pull that up as a patch. I am more interested in the software portion myself. Imagine working from one sound browser for all of your sounds and soft synths.

I think the hardware portion will allow a user to not have to look at the laptop/computer screen all the time. The small screen will tell you what patch/instrument/softsynth you are playing and I believe it makes it easy to scroll through your huge sound bank. We will just have to see, but I will be watching for this as well.

"I will find a way or make one"

Sonar 5.02P, Dimension Pro 1.2, Reason 3.04, Soundforge 6.0, P4 1.6GHZ, 1 GIG Ram, 250 GIG HD/ 1.83GHZ dual core notebook, 1 GIG Ram
    cmusicmaker
    RE: Rapture and KORE 2006/02/28 13:08:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: JRich97

One of the biggest parts is being able to create a patch for instant recall of numerous soft synths from different manufactures. Consider pulling up your special pad mad up of sounds from Reason, Dimension Pro, Rapture, and Native Instruments. They are doing what Reason just did as far as being able to run numerous sounds and recall them and play them at the same time with tons of layers, however now you aren't simply layering sounds as before but layer Instruments, have key functions mapped the way you want them already and pull that up as a patch. I am more interested in the software portion myself. Imagine working from one sound browser for all of your sounds and soft synths.

I think the hardware portion will allow a user to not have to look at the laptop/computer screen all the time. The small screen will tell you what patch/instrument/softsynth you are playing and I believe it makes it easy to scroll through your huge sound bank. We will just have to see, but I will be watching for this as well.

Very clever stuff for sure. Nice description. The possibilities are truly amazing. Imagine layering Pentagon, Z3ta and Dimension Pro (with 4 different sounds in each element) to one patch! Of course Pentagon and Z3ta+ will have the 2x oversampling option switched on for some seriously fat sounds!

It will be interesting to see what else it will do. I wonder if what you described above can be done in P5v.2 already. Layering is pretty easy in P5 anyway. But layering mulitple instruments into one patch...not sure how. Sound layering via Dimensions elements yes, but not 3rd party synths. (Maybe someone knows how) I suppose with Dimension (4 elements) you can layer in P5 and have multiple instances open on separate tracks. So say 4 instances of Dimension could get you 16 layers (crazy I know), but I cannot see how I could call up say Pentagon, z3ta and Dimension in one patch in P5. Maybe Sonars track templates could pull it off.

Just trying to see how such a brilliant idea can be done with what I have..he he.

I think the hardware - software integration is where KORE pulls away. A big deal for many I am sure but not really for me. I just want the software but like the whole KORE idea alot. At least I can easily and quickly layer sounds in Dimension and save as a device group / patch for now, which covers most of my needs. But the expanded Combinator idea in KORE is not quite possible in P5 v.2, maybe someone can correct me on that...hopefully

I think NI will release some more details on Wednesday. Should be fun.

The sound browser in KORE looks very similar to Kinetic and P5's. I always find Kinetic a very quick place to get ideas down. Interesting.

C.

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Rapture and KORE 2006/02/28 13:18:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: cmusicmaker

It will be interesting to see what else it will do. I wonder if what you described above can be done in P5v.2 already. Layering is pretty easy in P5 anyway. But layering mulitple instruments into one patch...not sure how. Sound layering via Dimensions elements yes, but not 3rd party synths. (Maybe someone knows how) I suppose with Dimension (4 elements) you can layer in P5 and have multiple instances open on separate tracks. So say 4 instances of Dimension could get you 16 layers (crazy I know), but I cannot see how I could call up say Pentagon, z3ta and Dimension in one patch in P5. Maybe Sonars track templates could pull it off.

C.

Think of the .p5p song file as a Patch set itself. When you launch a specific file ( SeriouslyPhatSynth.p5p ) it will load all the careful details you spent so much time creating (arpeggiator patterns, multiple Dimension Pro instances and patches, multiple Rapture instances and patches, multiple z3ta+ instances and patches, Groove Matrix, etc) all ready to play in a giant MIDI stack. Of course, it may take a few minutes to "switch patches" and it won't respond to patch change requests from the MIDI controller.
    Rick McNab
    RE: Rapture and KORE 2006/02/28 16:52:44 (permalink)
    That's a great idea - like a giant combinator. So instead of inserting a softsynth on each track, then setting them to the same MIDI channel to layer, you would in essence insert 1 instance of KORE for a track, which acts as a container. In that container you could have 2 FM-7s layered with a Prophet V - instant 80s heaven! Then control all parameters from a single interface and only have to deal with one set of even data for that part. Cool!
    cmusicmaker
    RE: Rapture and KORE 2006/02/28 17:31:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: techead

ORIGINAL: cmusicmaker

C.

Think of the .p5p song file as a Patch set itself. When you launch a specific file ( SeriouslyPhatSynth.p5p ) it will load all the careful details you spent so much time creating (arpeggiator patterns, multiple Dimension Pro instances and patches, multiple Rapture instances and patches, multiple z3ta+ instances and patches, Groove Matrix, etc) all ready to play in a giant MIDI stack. Of course, it may take a few minutes to "switch patches" and it won't respond to patch change requests from the MIDI controller.

True and that is a clever way of looking at it but I cannot combine those mulitple .p5p's into one patch in P5 v.2. It would appear that in KORE I would be able to do something very similar to that.

Personally that aspect is of great interest but I need a demo to really see how it works in Sonar or P5 and too see what else it offers, price e.t.c. CPU usage would be interesting to see. Either way it looks like things could get done very quickly in KORE. I need to see what else it can do but so far so good.

I must say though I can work very quickly in Kinetic already and of course load up a Kinetic project in P5 with tracks and FX intact as saved in Kinetic. Not seen that kind of integration anywhere yet.

NI have certainly been taking notes from various forums I think.

More KORE details tomorrow then...he he, this time we get to see what exactly the sound browser can do.
    Rick McNab
    RE: Rapture and KORE 2006/02/28 22:44:51 (permalink)
    Yeah, I see what this is about. Very cool. Sort of like an instrument/effects rack for all of your softsynths and effects with recall and a standardized programming interface. So if I had, say Rapture and the new Arturia Prophet V, they would sit in the rack together (along with whatever other softsynths I had), and have a common programming interface, as well as being able to be layered.

Now the literature states that the standardization feature of the KORE system in no way inhibits the programmability of the individual instruments assigned to it (even non-NI instruments). So I would assume that even using Rapture from within KORE, I would be able to get to all of the Rapture parameters that will make Rapture, well, Rapture!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1