Rapture challenge

Author
awilki01
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 817
2006/04/01 00:46:37 (permalink)

Rapture challenge

There is a particular instrument that I found on the Sytrus demo that I really like. I have tried my hand today (for quite some time) to mimic this instrument using Rapture. It seems as though I am learning LOADS about creating my own instruments by reverse engineering the preset ones to see 'how they did that'.

Here is a link to an MP3 I was messing around with a while ago. The instrument I want to mimic is the very first one in the file. It is solo up until about 5-6 seconds. My challenge to you all is to recreate that instrument using Rapture. It seems like it would be possible, but as I am learning, the solution currently eludes me.

Here is the MP3 file:

messing_around.mp3

Adam

11 Replies Related Threads

lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Rapture challenge 2006/04/01 09:41:34 (permalink)
    A fast way to snag it would be to record a wave file and then open it up in rapture. you have a total of 6 files to play with and the ability to semi mapp using the gui. this keeps stretching to a minimum.

For the most useful element a 2 track audio editor would allow you to select a small section of the sound and loop that. It does give you the smallest file. Then using Raptures gui you can reinvent it any way you want. Take it and make it your own. This is fast and very effective and you don't need to spend very much time twidding nobs to recreate what you already have.

You would be surprised just how small a file you can loop to capture a sound you have. I'm talkng about 200-300kbs. You just need enough if the wave sequence to capture the essence of the sound and then you have something to use in Rapture that can be totally reworked.
    post edited by lawapa - 2006/04/01 09:53:50
    awilki01
    RE: Rapture challenge 2006/04/01 21:59:24 (permalink)
    Thanks!

I have the wav file. I have it in Rapture, but how do I make the sound loop? It only plays one iteration of the sound. Is there a setting that will make it loop?
    lawapa
    RE: Rapture challenge 2006/04/01 22:21:58 (permalink)
    I'd download Audacity the free 2 track audio editor. I hear you can loop a file in it. I use SoundForge to loop with so I can't help you out with that.

You could loop using the SFZ format but this is a in the dark way to do it. And if you are not familier with the opcodes it just would not work. Once you set a good loop then you can use the gui in Rapture to envelope the sound, Fast attack or slow? adding any and all kinds of lfo's also will change the sound.

I do understand your just getting started in this area. As well it takes some determination to get up to speed but. By doing so you can open the door to taking control. You select the sound make the file and tweakit till it fits your style/preference.
    awilki01
    RE: Rapture challenge 2006/04/02 01:33:50 (permalink)
    Thanks for the Audacity tip! It seems to be pretty powerful for a free tool. The compression works great!!!

I can make many loops of the wav file, but I'm still a bit confused. If you look at the wav files that came with Rapture for all the different waveforms, each one is only a fraction of a second long yet they automatically loop within Rapture. Is there something in the wav file that states 'loop me'? Or, is there a setting within Rapture that I can loop any wav file I want?

Regards,
    Adam
    lawapa
    RE: Rapture challenge 2006/04/02 03:06:47 (permalink)
    The wavetables are single cycle. And well they are mighty small. But a loop can contain many single cycles or wave tables. When you load a wavetable Rapture understand if the file is 3000 samples or less what it is and automatically shifts on to <wavetable-on> mode. This loads the files as a wave table and well to be precise it's not looped but as I think you can guess the oscillator outputs the waveform in a normal oscillator mode which cycles at the specified frequency of a given note.

Now a loop is just a short segment of a wave file. And to produce frequencies it's played back faster or slower depending on it's root note. At the root it's played back at a normal speed. Above that its faster, below and it's slower.

You can take a sound and select a single cycle segment. Save this for a load into Rapture and you have that loaded as a wavetable. It sounds more technical than it is but it works. Because a single cycle file is so small it represents such a tiny portion of the sound from which it came it's almost unrecognizable when you hear it. You are in effect building a sound with the smallest part of the original sound that can be used.

A loop on the other hand will still retain some of the character of the original sound. How much depends on how big it is.

There are distinct advantages to using each type of segment. Wavetables are bandlimited so they sound consistent as you play higher notes. Loops are played faster and faster until they start sounding weird. That's why in a sample set you sample more than one note. But Rapture can do some unique things and is optimized to render out a better sound even when the circumstances are a tad extreme.
    awilki01
    RE: Rapture challenge 2006/04/27 01:02:48 (permalink)
    Ok, I am revisiting this now....

I got the small sample to loop as you suggested, lawapa.

However, I still cannot figure out how to loop a long sample e.g. a vocal. I have Audacity, but I cannot find anything in there that would make the sample loop when played back. I thought that would be more of Rapture's responsibility to loop a longer wav file anyway... I can do the 'repeat' in Audacity, but I just want what I have to loop.....

Any suggestions?

Adam
    lawapa
    RE: Rapture challenge 2006/04/27 20:26:21 (permalink)
    I don't understand why you can't loop it in Audacity? The size of a file is not relavent to being looped. Of course if you want to loop a part you could make it a grove clip. It will repete forever and you don't need to play it in a synth.

A looped sample is different from a Acid type loop. With the acid loop you are looping a short segment of audio usually a drum loop or welll it cound be anything. And a vocal sample is a good example. Audacity should be able to loop longer segments of audio as well as a note sample taken from a synth for sustain purposes.
    awilki01
    RE: Rapture challenge 2006/04/27 22:26:03 (permalink)
    So, when you say create a loop, Audacity changes the wave file such that Rapture knows to loop it?

I did a search on the help function of Audacity for loop and not much, if anything, came up...
    lawapa
    RE: Rapture challenge 2006/04/27 23:00:36 (permalink)
    Loop is a function of sample properties. Root note, loop points, are set there. Because I'm unsure of Audacity (I use SoundForge) in SF you use edit sample to access all this stuff. I know Audacity loops as B-rock told me it would do a reverse loop or Ping-Pong. The loops sweeps back and forth instead of left to right and back. So Mr. B can set this straight because well, He uses it? I do know he has SF. The pencil tool is invaluable for fixin stuff.
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Rapture challenge 2006/04/27 23:57:19 (permalink)
    So, when you say create a loop, Audacity changes the wave file such that Rapture knows to loop it?
    Adam, 3000 samples and under (really: not very big) turns the .wav into an oscillator in Rapture. Anything above that is going to play through once, without defining an override in an .sfz file. If you want to dive into .sfz editing, you can find the basics [here]

Audacity is a fine free audio editor, and I recommend it to everyone wanting to get their feet wet with audio editing concepts. But it's a work in progress, and because of the 'cost', there are some features that are bound to be lacking. I keep it around to have it handy for file conversions & some tools that are somewhat unique to it. But my workhorse is Sound Forge for 95% of everything audio-related.

To set loop points and such, you might want to go with your own Sonar HS or one of the Acid Express apps out there. I believe that (Sony) Sound Forge Audio Studio will also Acidize .wavs at an entry-level cost. You're still going to have to dive into .sfz to get it to all work. Unless there's something that you specifically need from Rapture with this looped .wav (processing-wise), you'd be better off trying a different route.

Here's a thought: Just copy/paste multiple copies of your .wav end-to-end to 'fake' in a looped .wav, save that as a much longer .wav file, sculpt it in Rapture with an envelope generator, and save yourself some headaches.
    awilki01
    RE: Rapture challenge 2006/04/28 23:07:31 (permalink)
    Thanks, Tom! I'll give it a shot.

Regards,
    Adam
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1