Rapture : keytrack to control lfo speed

Author
artorchestrated
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2008/02/22 16:39:13 (permalink)

Rapture : keytrack to control lfo speed

Anybody else having trouble with this? I set the mod matrix up .. note# to lfo pitch... it doesnt seem to effect the lfo speed the way it should! I want to get sampler like effects. ..i.e. modulation goes faster as I play up the keyboard... also any insight to make the lfo pitch double each octave would be great.. i COULD BE WRONG BUT TO MY EARS IT JUST SEEMS TO SPEED UP OF SLOW DOWN THE LFO BASED ON THE MOD matrix amount.... Big up drum n bass and all SYNTH HEADZ!!

8 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Rapture : keytrack to control lfo speed 2008/02/22 18:21:59 (permalink)
    I set the mod matrix up .. note# to lfo pitch... it doesnt seem to effect the lfo speed the way it should!
    First of all, make sure that you set your Pitch LFO Status to On.
    The Depth parameter is going to depend on what you're after. Adjust to taste.

Important: Set the rate of Pitch LFO control to Freq, not Sync.
    If you want to turn total control over to keyboard position, set the Freq value to 0.00 Hz.
    Any value above that becomes the 'base value'. Matrix Depths are added to (or subtracted from) that static Depth value.

Once that's done, enter in a MIDI Matrix slot with values similar to this:
    Keyboard -> Pitch LFO Freq 1 (... All) -> 12.3 -> {smoothing variable / optional}

In this example, the rate frequency of 12.3 Hz. spans all 128 MIDI notes (from C0 to G10).
    Play middle C, and the Pitch LFO will produce a rate comfortably within the common vibrato range.
    also any insight to make the lfo pitch double each octave would be great..
    Hmm. I'm not so sure that you're really going to want that, but here goes:
    Ten and two-thirds octaves in MIDI ... double the Hz. for each octave.

That's five octaves and change on both sides of Eb above middle C.
    You'd need somewhat more than a 1024 Hz. range in the Pitch LFO at a minimum.
    Edit: Assuming a 'base' value of 1 Hz. Tenths of a Hertz ... lower maximum value requirements.

There's limitations in the software to cap parameters to certain amounts (we're well into audio range LFOs here).
    I'm not sure where Freq tops out, but you can keep adding MIDI Matrix lines like this:
    Keyboard -> Pitch LFO Freq 1 (... All) -> 32.0 -> {smoothing variable / optional}
    Keyboard -> Pitch LFO Freq 1 (... All) -> 32.0 -> {smoothing variable / optional}

Those Depth values of 32.0 will all add together. If my late-Friday calculations are anywhere near correct, you'll max out the slots long before you hit the 32+ MIDI Matrix lines required. But if you want to try out something quite unique, enter in these three lines into the Matrix instead:

CC 127 -> Pitch LFO Freq 1 -> -32.0*** -> {smoothing variable / optional}

*** Vary this Matrix Depth value (keeping it negative) to fine-tune the Freq rate that lands on middle C.
    post edited by b rock - 2008/02/22 20:07:50
    artorchestrated
    RE: Rapture : keytrack to control lfo speed 2008/02/22 19:49:45 (permalink)
    thanks b rock you are the man around here... I will experiment once I get home. on the lfo freq doubling per octave I was trying to get the effect you would by sampling or the doubling in beating speed you get when you move up the keyboard on a sound with detuned osc. I know I could just resample but I wanted to do it in the original patch. thanks again! this was easy on my micro Q you just set the lfo keytrack to 100% and it would double each oct just like a normal osc.
    b rock
    RE: Rapture : keytrack to control lfo speed 2008/02/22 20:11:02 (permalink)
    on the lfo freq doubling per octave I was trying to get the effect you would by sampling or the doubling in beating speed you get when you move up the keyboard on a sound with detuned osc.
    Hmmm. I haven't tried this specifically with your question in mind, but why not skip the Pitch LFO then?
    Rapture's 'front panel' Detune parameter varies 0 - 100 cents (one semitone). But ...

If you set it up in the MIDI Matrix, the Detune range is huge (+/- 4800 cents/ an eight-octave span). Enable the Multi setting in an Element, and select a voice number & spread (3V-9V). Set the panel Detune to zero. You'll still hear the panning and phase offsets that the multi-oscillators bring to the table, even with zero Detune.

Then, open up the MIDI Matrix, and drop in something like this:
    Keyboard -> Detune 1 -> -100 to + 100 cents*** - 0.0

*** Leave the Depth in this slot selected, and use the mouse/wheel/keyboard shortcuts to 'tune' the added oscillators.
    For the adventurous: Set the Matrix Depth of Detune to +/- 4800, add some smoothing, change the Source to Channel Aftertouch or Velocity, ...
    artorchestrated
    RE: Rapture : keytrack to control lfo speed 2008/02/23 12:51:08 (permalink)
    Thanks again... your knowlegde is very deep! Im not sure you quite understand my question. Its not the pitch lfo, but any lfo. I want to control the lfo speed(freq) with the keytrack(note#) . I want the lfo speed to double when you play a note 1 octave higher. just like a real osc. Imagine you have an lfo tied to amp and when you play a c1 its modulating the amp at a quarter note, I want the lfo speed to double when I play a c2 , so now the amp is wobbling at an eighth, play a c3 and the amp is at a sixteenth... its the same effect you get when you sample a sound that has modulation or movement, play the original note and the modulation is the same... play an octave up and the modulation doubles in speed. I guess there is no simple way to do this in rapture, I will just have to play around with the amount in the matrix and get it as close as possible by ear . keep b rocking. is there anywhere to share user patches. I have some tasty dnb leads and basses I would be more than happy to post!
    artorchestrated
    RE: Rapture : keytrack to control lfo speed 2008/02/23 12:56:53 (permalink)
    also sorry could you explain the cc127 a lil more... how does cc127 effect the middle c?
    b rock
    RE: Rapture : keytrack to control lfo speed 2008/02/23 13:42:43 (permalink)
    how does cc127 effect the middle c?
    It doesn't affect it directly. CC127 is the 'shortcut' to getting a full Depth value out of the MIDI Matrix.

In the example that I gave you, ...
    CC 127 -> Pitch LFO Freq 1 -> -32.0*** -> {smoothing variable / optional}
    ... CC127 is there to create a static value of -32.0 Hz. Because it's a negative number, it'll subtract from the 64.0 Hz. (added up from the other two Matrix slots). I put it there because you wanted a huge range of LFO variations (double every octave). I took half of the total (64.0 Hz.), and made it into a variable line for fine-tuned tweaking.

There's one simple reason that I keep referencing middle C. Most compositions are going to concentrate on the 2 or 3 octaves above & below middle C. A keyboard source spreads its effect over 10 2/3 octaves. I'm trying to narrow the 'sweet spot' of your keyboard control down to where you're going to use it the most.
    Im not sure you quite understand my question.
    I wasn't so sure, either.
    I want the lfo speed to double when you play a note 1 octave higher. just like a real osc.
    See, now there's where it gets a little muddy. Audio oscillators and LFOs are about the same thing, except one's for signal output, and the other is geared as a control source. There's some overlap when you bring an LFO into audio range, but then it starts creating audible sidebands above 20 Hz. or so. Poor man's AM, ring mod, FM, etc., if you will.

Let's say that you want to start out at a base value of 1 Hz., double that per-octave, and use the Keyboard tracking to control it.
    1 Hz. -> 2 Hz. -> 4 Hz. -> 16 Hz. -> 32 Hz. -> (middle C) -> 64 Hz. -> 128 Hz. -> 256 Hz. -> 512 Hz. -> 1024 Hz. -> somewhere around ~1700 Hz. for the uppermost partial octave. Doubling each octave has a profound effect on lower frequency stuff. We're trying to squeeze linear and logarithmic together here.
    Imagine you have an lfo tied to amp and when you play a c1 its modulating the amp at a quarter note, I want the lfo speed to double when I play a c2 , so now the amp is wobbling at an eighth, play a c3 and the amp is at a sixteenth...
    There is no destination choice in Rapture's MIDI Matrix for LFO Sync. You can only control rate from the Matrix using Freq, in Hertz.
    I guess there is no simple way to do this in rapture.
    I have two methods that you can explore:
    1). Shift+right click on the LFO Sync parameter in a Modulator. Use MIDI Learn to bind it to an external control.
    2). Use your host program's automation instead. The LFO Sync parameters are exposed to automation, and that can be controlled by MIDI.

Unfortunately, I don't see any generic way to apply keyboard position to either the MIDI Learn or automation methods. It's going to depend on your hosts, controller setup, etc. I'm going to try one more thing: I don't think that LFO Sync is officially supported in .sfz scripting. But if there's a 'loophole', maybe I can dream up a routing that'll double sync divisions under keyboard control.

Edit: I missed this.
    is there anywhere to share user patches. I have some tasty dnb leads and basses I would be more than happy to post!
    There's someone very familiar to these boards that's hacking that out right now as we speak.
    If you don't have any place online to host them temporarily, send me a PM here at the forum.
    post edited by b rock - 2008/02/23 14:00:30
    sarcazm
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: Rapture : keytrack to control lfo speed 2008/02/23 19:54:39 (permalink)
    Re posting patches, a very good site that's recently resurfaced is patch arena
    artorchestrated
    RE: Rapture : keytrack to control lfo speed 2008/02/26 16:48:57 (permalink)
    damn you are a smart Mofo b rock! Now some of the presets with cc127 make sense. and your right the range Im going for would only be an octave or maybe two. what I trying to do is replicate is the effect you get when you sample a sound with movement in it: such as a sine wave with a lfo controling the pitch (vibrato) .. the vibrato is shaking at around a 8th note . now if I sample a c1 (record it as audio) play it back at c1 the vibrato is the original speed , play the sample a octave higher c2 the vibrato is double in speed .. this is the same as when you have multiple osc detuned from one another. the beating heard between the osc double in speed as you move up the keys by octave. I just wanted to better explain where i was coming from. thanks for all you help Im getting better results and understand better with your help!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1