Rapture programs I have created

Author
awilki01
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 817
2006/06/27 11:28:00 (permalink)

Rapture programs I have created

Admittedly, some of my programs are lame, but some are pretty cool.

There are 31 programs. Feel free to download them HERE

17 Replies Related Threads

awilki01
    RE: Rapture programs I have created 2006/06/27 15:30:49 (permalink)
    Just out of curiosity. If I were to come up with many trance style programs for Rapture, am I allowed to sell them, or is there something preventing me from doing that?
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Rapture programs I have created 2006/06/27 15:32:03 (permalink)
    Adam, this is a great gesture. It wasn't that long ago that you were struggling with the new concepts, and here you are offering up a patch set of your own making. The perseverance paid off. I downloaded these, but I'm going to hold off on opening them up just yet. I'm in the midst of polishing off a set for distribution myself, and I don't want to be unduly influenced.

I'll get back to these shortly and give them a spin. Thanks for these. This is what it's all about.
    Edit: I just saw your second post. I don't see why you couldn't sell your programming skills. The .prog files don't contain any original samples; they just refer to what's there already. You did the work.
    post edited by b rock - 2006/06/27 15:44:08
    awilki01
    RE: Rapture programs I have created 2006/06/27 15:58:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: b rock

Adam, this is a great gesture. It wasn't that long ago that you were struggling with the new concepts, and here you are offering up a patch set of your own making. The perseverance paid off. I downloaded these, but I'm going to hold off on opening them up just yet. I'm in the midst of polishing off a set for distribution myself, and I don't want to be unduly influenced.

I'll get back to these shortly and give them a spin. Thanks for these. This is what it's all about.
    Edit: I just saw your second post. I don't see why you couldn't sell your programming skills. The .prog files don't contain any original samples; they just refer to what's there already. You did the work.

Thanks, Tom! Keep in mind that some of these programs really 'stink'. ALL of my own programs are in here which are from the beginning so many are not that good at all. I just thought 'what the heck' and share them.

I am listening to examples of another analog synth called Vanguard which has some really cool trance sounds. I think Rapture can do everything it can. I'm going to try my hand at trying to create some replica sounds - it will be a huge learning endeavor.

I wonder if creating replica sounds of another synth has some legal limitations to it. I wouldn't think so. I mean, it's just sounds....right? It's just like hearing something cool in a song that you want to recreate. That is allowed too, right? So many questions and not enough answers
    Frank@ProSounds
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: Rapture programs I have created 2006/06/27 16:09:06 (permalink)
    You can sell them if you'd like. As long as the presets are your own original material, and do not require you to distribute wavetables that are not you own, then you shouldn't have any problem at all.
    :10:
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3678
    RE: Rapture programs I have created 2006/06/27 17:29:17 (permalink)
    I always wanted to try and create my own patches....

I have about 100 or so distorted, messed up samples I created over time that I wanted to implement into dimension. never did get around to it though.

guess I will add it to the list of things I would like to commit to someday....

awilki01
    RE: Rapture programs I have created 2006/06/27 17:46:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Frank@ProSounds

You can sell them if you'd like. As long as the presets are your own original material, and do not require you to distribute wavetables that are not you own, then you shouldn't have any problem at all.

What if the sounds I create sound like another company's instrument. Let's say, for example, Korg had a nice sounding gated analog synth. Now, I go and create something that sounds identical in Rapture. Is that a problem?
    b rock
    RE: Rapture programs I have created 2006/06/27 19:01:32 (permalink)
    Korg had a nice sounding gated analog synth. Now, I go and create something that sounds identical in Rapture. Is that a problem?
    If it was, Adam, we'd all be having this discussion in the exercise yard before lockdown. Everyone's been copping synthesis techniques since the beginning. Stay away from using proprietary samples, and you're all set. No one has patented an oscillator shape ... yet.

Since many/most synths borrow from a similar analog synthesis background, you often use the same way to get there on a variety of synths. Find a sound that you like, and do your best to copy it exactly. It's a great way to learn. But where you set yourself apart is in taking those techniques, and putting your own unique stamp on the sound results.
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Rapture programs I have created 2006/06/27 20:31:56 (permalink)
    Thanks Dave your stepgen sequence on that sound you posted was a keeper in my book. I thought you did a great job of keeping the feel of the patch you wanted to sound like while making it your own.
    Frank@ProSounds
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: Rapture programs I have created 2006/06/27 21:15:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: awilki01

ORIGINAL: Frank@ProSounds

What if the sounds I create sound like another company's instrument. Let's say, for example, Korg had a nice sounding gated analog synth. Now, I go and create something that sounds identical in Rapture. Is that a problem?

hehe. No, not at all. create any sound you like. Now, if I program a preset, make it available and copyright it, then you distribute the exact same preset (mind you, not the same sound, the same preset) file, then you're in trouble. But as far as emulating a synth, a patch, or anything else for that matter...you can be close, or so dead on that no person on earth that can tell the difference, and it doesn't matter...you can still sell it.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Rapture programs I have created 2006/06/27 22:31:20 (permalink)
    Yea, anything that is a direct copy of something else is verboten. Trying to make something that sounds like something else ain't. You can try to copy Keith Emerson's Lucky Man patch in rapture and nobody can touch you. you can sell the patch as settings. But you can't sell a mini-moog sheet with the patch, since moog already did that. You can use that patch in a song. You can't redo "lucky man" without paying for the rights. But the sound - you can use it in your own music.

Of course, this is America, and anybody can sue anyone for anything. But you can sell your own patches as long as they don't recreate the same patch on the same synth.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    b rock
    RE: Rapture programs I have created 2006/06/28 20:39:26 (permalink)
    ALL of my own programs are in here which are from the beginning so many are not that good at all. I just thought 'what the heck' and share them.
    Adam, these are really very good. You sure like trance, don't you? I see the progression here. There's just a few that would fit a narrower "Effects" category, but for the most part, these are eminently usable patches in a variety of situations. I see that you've been mining the default presets for inspiration. There are some telltale *René* characteristics in there.

Nothing wrong with snagging an envelope or a step generator that inspires you. That's the beauty of the copy/paste design. The only thing that I might suggest is to clean up the parts that end up unused. I didn't see anything that was enabled, so CPU usage isn't the issue. It's just good housekeeping for someone who might be learning to reverse-engineer what you've done. Don't get me wrong: mine aren't the tidiest of patches. I'll often leaving in a Modulator or two disabled, so that clicking a Status toggle changes the whole patch around. It's like getting two-for-one.

Of course, mine hold no regard for efficient use of resources, either. If you've got the firepower in a synth, load it up. Good stuff.
    awilki01
    RE: Rapture programs I have created 2006/06/28 23:07:57 (permalink)
    Thanks for the kind words regarding the patches. I agree. I should clean up what is not being used. The problem is that during experimentation, I sometimes disable something I had before and it sounds better. I just forget to go back

Edit: Yeah, there are some peices from the presets in some. For a couple, I just snagged the parts out of a preset I liked. For example, the Galactic War preset had a sound I used in a tune recently - I probably should have removed that one (and others that had major preset influences) - oops! I made these for myself at first without sharing in mind. I just blindly shared what I had. I got quite a bit of inspiration from the presets. I reverse engineered several just to see how they 'tick'.

And, yes, I really like trance hehe. I have discovered something very interesting about the trance genre. The sounds just love variations of the sawtooth waveforms - in the samples and in the LFOs. There is some weird symbiotic relationship between that waveform and trance music. It's almost as if the genre revolves around sounds and effects using it (from what I have discovered so far) - I'm probably way off target. At least I'm mostly right for the presets I've used
    post edited by awilki01 - 2006/06/29 00:03:22
    Rick McNab
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1047
    RE: Rapture programs I have created 2006/06/29 18:14:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: b rock

...but I'm going to hold off on opening them up just yet. I'm in the midst of polishing off a set for distribution myself, and I don't want to be unduly influenced...

Okay, and they are.....(where)?

Seriously, sets from b rock and Frank at ProSounds are going to have to be rocking. When will we see them? (And guys - don't be afraid to demand payment - after all we're not communists - to steal a line from the Godfather). You might find that putting a monetary value on your soundsets makes you work harder at excellence. I just wish there was a way to make payment without using PayPal, and yet still remaining anonymous.
    awilki01
    RE: Rapture programs I have created 2006/07/02 18:28:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: AT

Yea, anything that is a direct copy of something else is verboten. Trying to make something that sounds like something else ain't. You can try to copy Keith Emerson's Lucky Man patch in rapture and nobody can touch you. you can sell the patch as settings. But you can't sell a mini-moog sheet with the patch, since moog already did that. You can use that patch in a song. You can't redo "lucky man" without paying for the rights. But the sound - you can use it in your own music.

Of course, this is America, and anybody can sue anyone for anything. But you can sell your own patches as long as they don't recreate the same patch on the same synth.

I am working on taking gates out of another plugin and duplicating them in Rapture. Is that allowed? Everything you said above would indicate it is fine, but I just want to make sure with everyone again.
    Rick McNab
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1047
    RE: Rapture programs I have created 2006/07/02 21:27:43 (permalink)
    Yes, absolutely. You can imitate anything someone else is doing regarding sound, as long as you do it with your own gear. Even if you used the same gear they used. What you can't copy is the actual recording that they made, for example if it was on CD or something. But listening to the CD and copping what they did is absolutely Kosher. And we will be darn glad to receive the fruits of your work!

Here's an example. Let's say artist A created an 8 bar drum intro in Logic. You happened to know Logic inside and out and knew exactly what sounds and plugins he used, just from listening. You created the exact same drum pattern, and duplicated almost exactly the mix, EQ, panning, etc. settings, to where your track was indistinguishable from the original. Is that legal? Absolutely.

Let's say on the other hand you wanted to use his pattern and you decided to go the easy route - just sample the 8 bar drum pattern and use it in your track. Is that legal - possibly not. You are copying his copyrighted material - the CD.

A third scenario - you hear a great 8 bar melody and decide to recreate it on your own gear and release it on your own CD. Is that legal? Probably not. Melodies are copyrightable.

So the bottom line is: Sounds that you hear on a CD are for the most part not copyrightable. Melodies and lyrics are copyrightable. Is there ever a time when sounds are copyrightable? Yes, if they are sold commercially. The distinguishing factor is the data. If you use someone elses created and copyrighted data, you could be violating the law. But if you decide to recreate their work via imitation, usually you will have no problem. In this case I'm sure there would never be a problem recreating a sound you like.

Sorry if that was a bit long-winded. Anyone else have any input?
    post edited by Rick McNab - 2006/07/02 21:43:41
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Rapture programs I have created 2006/07/02 22:56:15 (permalink)
    The act of recreating a synth sound in the blind by ear kinda forces you to be creative. And helps develope that intuition. A ear for the deed. Of course sounding just like someone else is not always the best way to go but we all tend to kinda put our on spin on it
    awilki01
    RE: Rapture programs I have created 2006/07/02 23:51:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: lawapa

The act of recreating a synth sound in the blind by ear kinda forces you to be creative. And helps develope that intuition. A ear for the deed. Of course sounding just like someone else is not always the best way to go but we all tend to kinda put our on spin on it

I understand, but I hear demo sounds and songs using other synths out there. I don't feel like buying those synths, but I do feel like using the sounds in my song. Rapture can do just about anything any other analog synth can. I already spent the money on Rapture and one of it's features is programmability. I'm going to exploit this programmability to make the sounds I want without having to buy other synths. My sounds do not exactly come out sounding like the other synths, but it does give me a good starting point. I am learning quite a bit in the process of trying to recreate them.

As I learn more, and when I write a song and want a sound, I'll be able to create it.

EDIT: Oh, and gate patterns are okay to use from other synths as well, right? I made one gate sound using a gate pattern from CamelSpace and just applied the same pattern within Rapture. Those are cool to use, right? The reason I am so concerned is because I plan on making some of these public. I might even try to create a Trance sound set for Rapture and try to sell it for a few bucks.
    post edited by awilki01 - 2006/07/03 00:13:40
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1