Rapture - running multiple elements through one filter?

Author
sprbeasT
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2010/07/04 03:40:59 (permalink)

Rapture - running multiple elements through one filter?

Just got this little beast and have been having a play around, however I'm having trouble realising how to run multiple elements (osc) through one filter? Eg, E1/E2 run through one filter instead of having their own? I've tried 'chaining' the elements to no avail, is this possible in rapture or am I missing something?

3 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Rapture - running multiple elements through one filter? 2010/07/04 10:30:37 (permalink)
    You could copy the filter parameters from one to anohter so they would act the same.

Another option (I think) is to use one of the filters in the global fx.

But Rapture isn't a modular where you can "patch" things.  Most modern softsynths aren't, since it doesn't make sense to save cycles for filters etc.  It is just as easy to instatate another one as it is to route ocs to a single filter.  It does make certain things awkward, however.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    chad
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 468
    Re:Rapture - running multiple elements through one filter? 2010/07/05 10:53:43 (permalink)
    sprbeasT

Just got this little beast and have been having a play around, however I'm having trouble realising how to run multiple elements (osc) through one filter? Eg, E1/E2 run through one filter instead of having their own? I've tried 'chaining' the elements to no avail, is this possible in rapture or am I missing something?

You have a couple of options here.  Chaining or using the Global page.  Using the Global FX will probably be the quickest result, but  'Chaining' will probably give you the best results.

You should note that the DSP, EG, and SGs mod sections of Rapture are per 'layer/voice' of each element.  So you are unable to route a previous element into the DSP of a new element.  However, with that said, your previous elements can be routed into all of the EQs and Insert FX sections on each element.  So you could create a 18 band EQ (21 counting global page), and 6 chained FX pre global FX.

What I would do is use the LFO Filter or Filter/Phaser Insert FX (choose the FX, then the filter type to the drop down on the right) on the last element in your chain, then all of your elements/osc will be routed through this Filter.  The advantage to using an insert FX over one on the Global page is that you can control/modulate the Insert FX on each element with Rapture's Mod Matrix.  So you can sweep Filter Freq, Reso, Wet/Dry, ect all on MIDI CCs or another modulation.  And now you've also still reserved the Global FX for your delays, reverbs, ect.  =)

Hope this helps.

dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:Rapture - running multiple elements through one filter? 2010/07/06 15:59:57 (permalink)
    sprbeasT

I don't believe you can do this if you want the filters to be associated with individual notes (note-on/off events).  You'll have to just duplicate the filter settings in each element.  The filters don't seem to chew up a lot of CPU, so I wouldn't worry about the overhead unless you're already up againts that particular wall.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1