Rapture vs Massive - first impressions

Author
chauncey_gardner
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 803
2007/03/02 11:52:49 (permalink)

Rapture vs Massive - first impressions

I bought Rapture when they did the special buy in for Sonar users sometime ago last year. I recently bought Massive because I guess I am a gear nerd.

This is not meant to be an exhaustive comparison, and I haven't owned Massive that long (maybe 3 weeks).

I like Rapture better. It seems somewhat easier to edit. It seems to fit what I like in sounds better, particularly the more etherial stuff.

Massive has a ton of junk in its presets. For some reason, the presets seem harder to edit to get to a sound I like.

And, I actually prefer the Rapture/DimPro tree design of sounds instead of the interface that NI has gone to.

Just some summary thoughts.

Sonica Dual Core 3.4 GHz, 2GB Ram, 3HDs, UAD1, PoCo Firewire, DIGI 9652, D8B, vintage synths, guitars and more money than talent (though questionable how much of either). XP Home SP2. SPE6.2. Other things of variable interest.

6 Replies Related Threads

Melvin J.
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 210
    RE: Rapture vs Massive - first impressions 2007/03/02 12:21:28 (permalink)
    Whew, I thought I was gonna get GAS, thanks dude!
    Shayne White
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 306
    RE: Rapture vs Massive - first impressions 2007/03/02 16:58:21 (permalink)
    AFAIK Massive doesn't allow you to load your own samples. On the other hand, Rapture doesn't morph between wavetables -- every element is static (will v1.1 change that? don't know). So they aren't direct competitors of each other.

I liked Massive a lot, but Rapture overall has more "cool."

Shayne
    Jeremy_NSL
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: Rapture vs Massive - first impressions 2007/03/03 18:22:14 (permalink)
    They are completely different synths. Rapture uses samples of various lengths and mangles them. Massive uses morphed single-cycle wavetables (similar to Waldorf synths)

I agree Massive doesn't come with great presets - especially in comparison to Rapture. But I think editing in Massive is a dream. The modulation scheme is genius.

I'd say both are worth owning. Rapture is one of the best sample-based synths and Massive is one of the best VA/Wavetables.
    Frank@ProSounds
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: Rapture vs Massive - first impressions 2007/03/04 16:00:07 (permalink)
    I don't know. I just don't like Massive. I do need to spend more time with it, as flicking through the presets makes it look like a joke. The only thing I liked right away was the Noise Generating mechanism...has some cool sample based options...but that can be easily recreated in Rapture via an sfz file tied to the noise sample...then you can just chain an element to the noise element. Plus, you'd have much more control over the noise that way. So far, IMO, Rapture gives Massive a Massive Kick in the Ass.
    chauncey_gardner
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 803
    RE: Rapture vs Massive - first impressions 2007/03/04 18:50:50 (permalink)
    Frank I am with you. I have had it about 10 days now and dont find my self opening it up much. Maybe it is the sound set that is not to my liking.

Then again, I am sort of "eh" on Absynth. I know there are lots of fans out there.

Sonica Dual Core 3.4 GHz, 2GB Ram, 3HDs, UAD1, PoCo Firewire, DIGI 9652, D8B, vintage synths, guitars and more money than talent (though questionable how much of either). XP Home SP2. SPE6.2. Other things of variable interest.
    whitefalcon
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1161
    RE: Rapture vs Massive - first impressions 2007/03/04 23:56:51 (permalink)
    I don't know. I just don't like Massive. I do need to spend more time with it, as flicking through the presets makes it look like a joke. The only thing I liked right away was the Noise Generating mechanism...has some cool sample based options...but that can be easily recreated in Rapture via an sfz file tied to the noise sample...then you can just chain an element to the noise element. Plus, you'd have much more control over the noise that way. So far, IMO, Rapture gives Massive a Massive Kick in the Ass.

Perhaps you can put together some files for sale that have noise and also some Chior and and Some Rich string samples. Also some effects like Waves, Wind, Applause, Explosions that go beyond general Midi samples for these. I would be intersted in these if they were there.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1