Rapture/DimPro Real time record?

Author
OldNick
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1149
2007/06/01 20:08:09 (permalink)

Rapture/DimPro Real time record?

I am wondering if :
- Rapture/Dim Pro can have the operations of controllers within their interfaces (surfaces) recorded in real time
OR
- SFZ/Rapture/DimPro have a known set of MIDI Controllers, registered or non-reg, that allow placing of controllers into the MIDI stream?

Still floundering here. I have dl'd the Raprure Demo, and cannot see a way to do this.

Thanks for any help

Getting there.

Nick

12 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Rapture/DimPro Real time record? 2007/06/01 20:44:51 (permalink)
    I have dl'd the Raprure Demo, and cannot see a way to do this.
    I'm at a disadvantage here, Nick, because I never downloaded Rapture's demo. I suppose that it's based on Rapture 1.0. I'd say right-click on a knob to bring up MIDI Learn, or move it with the mouse to record a DX automation curve, but I can't be certain that those would work.

Here's something that should, though. Click on that third icon in the group of four; just to the left of the RAPTURE logo. (It looks like a MIDI jack.) That'll bring up a MIDI Matrix window, with a number of configurable slots (rows). The leftmost will be the source. Put a known MIDI message in that. The second column towards the right will be a destination. Pick something like Pitch All to start with a result that's easily recognizable.

None of this will affect anything without a Depth set in the third column. 1200 (cents) will give you an octave up. Smooth (the rightmost column) is optional. It'll give a curved response to the other actions in this particular row.

Using .sfz controller messages is another option, but the MIDI Matrix approach is easier to start with.
    OldNick
    RE: Rapture/DimPro Real time record? 2007/06/02 20:15:33 (permalink)
    I thought I replied to this....However. Thanks for the help. Excellent.

I have been trying the MIDI Learn idea, with CC#s and it works fine so far.

Nick
    OldNick
    RE: Rapture/DimPro Real time record? 2007/06/03 21:02:31 (permalink)
    I am a little confused about MIDI Learn etc.

I tried the idea of assigning various MIDI CC#s to controls in Rapture, using the Modulation Matrix. But unless MIDI Learn is On for a control knob, it seems not to respond. I can live with that.

But

Firstly MIDI Learn does not seem to "stick" unless I play the sequence conatining the controllers
    Secondly, MIDI learn seems to assign a CC# to each knob that is learning almost at random. I don;t think this is true, but they do constantly vary, and it seems to have something to do with whatever CC# happens to flip past at the time?

Is there a tute or Help file for Rapture somewhere? There does not seem to be one with the Demo.

Thanks for your help so far.

Nick
    b rock
    RE: Rapture/DimPro Real time record? 2007/06/03 21:58:42 (permalink)
    I tried the idea of assigning various MIDI CC#s to controls in Rapture, using the Modulation Matrix. But unless MIDI Learn is On for a control knob, it seems not to respond.
    Nick, the Modulation Matrix and MIDI Learn are two separate approaches. Think of the Rapture knob itself as a master control. When you're using the Mod Matrix, whatever value you set in the Depth column adds or subtracts from that master position. In this mode, the targeted knob will not move. It indicates the 'centered' value, and the Mod Matrix will only audibly vary around that knob position.

MIDI Learn is a direct approach. With this method, you're not adding or subtracting. You're grabbing the master control itself, and varying it just as if you were dragging it around with the mouse. If you mix MIDI Learn and the Mod Matrix (from the same CC control), it's bound to get confusing. The master control and a routed 'patch bay' are influencing the same parameter dynamically.
    Firstly MIDI Learn does not seem to "stick" unless I play the sequence conatining the controllers
    Sorry. I'm not sure that I understand this. If you have a control like the mod wheel (CC1) mapped to a specific knob, doesn't it animate that knob by varying the physical control? Or are you not using a controller; just the host app and automation?
    Secondly, MIDI learn seems to assign a CC# to each knob that is learning almost at random.... something to do with whatever CC# happens to flip past at the time?
    Damn. You may have more than one control mapped to a MIDI message. When you start the MIDI Learn procedure, it enters a waiting state. It'll pick up the next message that comes through. If you move on to something else, it'll still be 'waiting', until it picks up an appropriate message. When you're first exploring the possibilities, it's very easy to mistakenly map to multiple controls.

If you know what those controls are, you can go back to them, right-click, and MIDI Forget to take them back 'offline'. If you want to completely wipe the slate clean, you have to delete the MidiCfg00.bin file [details at the link below]. Another file gets 'regenerated' when you need it. I can tell you that in Rapture 1.1, starting over again has been made much easier than this.
    Is there a tute or Help file for Rapture somewhere?
    The manual (and the .pdf) that ships with Rapture really is very thorough. They'll give you all of the basics, but not every possible application of those basics. I'm not sure of the legalities of making that available to you. If I can clear the permission to, I'd be glad to send it to you. If you haven't already, check for a Documentation folder under the demo, and Rapture.chm or Rapture User's Guide.pdf within it.

I've got a mini-tutorial dealing with MIDI Learn online. It has to do with some deeper applications, but the first few paragraphs review the MIDI Learn process. [Undocumented Easter Egg]. For a wider range of topics, check out Rapture's base page at the Wiki. [The Project5 Wiki's Rapture section].
    OldNick
    RE: Rapture/DimPro Real time record? 2007/06/03 22:39:19 (permalink)
    Phooh! <G> Digestion and experimentation needed here.

Thanks very much for all of that. I shall return.
    OldNick
    RE: Rapture/DimPro Real time record? 2007/06/04 23:48:22 (permalink)
    OK. Confusion Reigns.

I will step by step, to se where I am going wrong.

I want to make Filter 2 Cutoff respond to CC#3, and Drive respond to CC#4

So I ask Filter 2 to MIDI Learn and draw in some CC#3 to the Controllers part of the Track Pane. When I play the sequence, sure enough Filter 2 Cutoff responds.

However, let's say I want to hear what this is all going to sound like, with Filter 2 Cutoff responding to CC#3, but with Drive also responding to CC#4, which I draw into the Controllers pane.

I do not seem to be able to do this. If I MIDI Forget the Cutoff knob, then I can't hear the effect. If I MIDI Learn the Drive knob, then it simply responds to whicehver CC# happens to present iyself first AFAICS. The same for the Cutoff knob, if I leave it in MIDI Learn (which as I say I seem to have to, in order to hear both effects) so they end up doing the same thing.

This is where I started to try the Matrix. I thought maybe it channeled what they learned, or maybe allowed me to "draw" CC# inout by actually moving the Knob. The second was what I assumed, but nothing happened.

err...something _has_ happened I mapped Filter 1 Cutoff to CC#1, and played a sequcne while manipulating the controller in Rapture. It appears to have caused some sort of recorded result, but:
    - the CC# is not "Drawn"
    - I can't undo the changes I have made
    - they do not seem to happen all the time.

Sorry about this. I am feeling decidedly thick here.
    OldNick
    RE: Rapture/DimPro Real time record? 2007/06/05 00:15:51 (permalink)
    OK. I have worked out the Matrix. Thanks.

I dumped MidiCfg00.bin, and started again.

I read your input carefully, and I did find the docs under the Documentation folder (can't be called from Rupture!)

I still am not quite sure how you MIDI Learn, especially how you get two different controls to link to different CC#s....or are they supposed to _send_ these????

I can MIDI Learn, and draw some CC# controlers, and see (and hear) the Rapture controller respond. Btu only if I leave it in MIDI Learn mode, and then of course I end up mapping it and another control to the same CC#
    b rock
    RE: Rapture/DimPro Real time record? 2007/06/05 06:43:34 (permalink)
    If I MIDI Learn the Drive knob, then it simply responds to whicehver CC# happens to present iyself first AFAICS.
    That's correct, Nick. The first one in always gets MIDI-Learned. The control is simply 'listening' for what you throw at it, and it doesn't interpret which competing message to use. It's going to take a little work to get Rapture set up using automation curves. This version of MIDI Learn (in the demo) is really geared toward isolated input from a controller keyboard. In Rapture 1.1, you can assign the messages manually and directly.

Here's my suggestion. Build your 'test' MIDI track with the multiple messages that you want inside. Then save it, and get it out of the host project. Now draw in a short message that you want Learned, and assign one control. Delete that short track, or re-assign the message in it to the next CC that you want Learned. Right click on a second knob, and repeat the MIDI Learn procedure; this time with a new message.

Repeat that process until you have everything that you want configured. Go back and re-load the 'test' file, without any of the short 'assignment' tracks remaining in the project. The MIDI Learn setup is stored (within that MidiCfg00.bin file), so it'll always remain active until you change it again. You can close down the project, start over tomorrow with another project, and it's still there. It's a bit of a PITA to set it up this way, but it'll work, and you only have to do it once.

If you want, you can 'save' that MIDI Learn configuration by renaming the MidiCfg00.bin file to something else, like MidiCfg01.bin. Rename it back again when you need it. Again, this is much easier in Rapture 1.1, as you can save 10 config files, select any of them, copy and paste them around, or reset them to begin anew.
    OldNick
    RE: Rapture/DimPro Real time record? 2007/06/06 18:45:41 (permalink)
    Sorry. I was not notified of your reply.

I had already started to work with this. What I did not realise was that once a control had "Learnt" a MIDI CC#, it would keep that.

What was doing was simply plcaing MIDI Learn status on each Control in turn, the using the Event List, with just one event in it, then altering ghe CC# for each knpb and simply "playing" that one event....pretty much what you are saying.

What I can't understand is how come, when I played a "normal" sequence with multiple CC# messages in it, all Controls would adopt the first CC#, even though I was doing them one by one;
    so I took Fil 1 Cutoff, MIDI Learned it, played a series of controllers and a note, then it would show the right CC#.
    But it will only _respond_ that that CC# if I leave it inh MIDI Learn state.
    I then take Fil 2 Cuttoff and MIDI Learn it. I then draw a series of some other controller, and _both_ knobs have adopted whatever came first. In other words Fil 1 has reassigned itself to CC#XX.

Yet when I do that with only one CC# event, each knob "remembers" and locks OK, even though I leave each previous one in MIDI Learn .

Maybe not. I was probably being too indiscriminate about when I placed a first CC#. One at a time is far more predictable.

HOWEVER <G> I will take on board your statement that MIDI LEarn is better in later versions.

Now all I have to do is hope the same for Dim Pro and Z3tA, which have a simlar work flow

I really apprecaite your help,. You have been great.
    OldNick
    RE: Rapture/DimPro Real time record? 2007/06/06 18:51:02 (permalink)
    One "last" (haha) question, if I may. It is related.

AFAICS MIDI LEarn and Matrix assignment are both aimed at making ghe controllers "move" about according to MIDI messages sent from SONAR.

Are the Controls in Rapture et al Automatable by Cakewalk's definition.

I am assuming from Help that the defintion of Automatable is that SONAR can "learn" (draw) the movements of the control knobs as I operate them within the synth or control interface.

Thanks.

The only thing I can offer is that I have done MIDI since CW3, and was right into the NGs both CW and general MIDI stuff, helping. So if I get stuck into this I will be giving back some of what I am learning! <G>

Nick
    b rock
    RE: Rapture/DimPro Real time record? 2007/06/06 19:30:03 (permalink)
    Are the Controls in Rapture et al Automatable by Cakewalk's definition. I am assuming from Help that the defintion of Automatable is that SONAR can "learn" (draw) the movements of the control knobs as I operate them within the synth or control interface.
    Sure, Nick. Sonar6? It's a little bit of a departure from earlier versions, or some of Cakewalk's other hosts. They address this more directly, using the Track Inspector or similar.

But the EZ way in Sonar6 is to load Rapture up in the Synth Rack, Show Assigned Controls, and right-click in one of the 'bays' to assign it to a Rapture control. Press Write in the Synth Rack to record an automation curve in Sonar (using your mouse in the Synth Rack or on Rapture's control itself). Select Read in the Synth Rack to watch the results. Then you can also re-assign the recorded curve (as needed) to another Rapture parameter within the track itself.

Try it out. When you first get to experience that working, it's one of those jaw-dropping "Wow!" moments. The only 'problem' is finding a single entry in a list of hundreds of automatable parameters.
    OldNick
    RE: Rapture/DimPro Real time record? 2007/06/06 21:12:55 (permalink)
    I am using CWPA 8 for my working at present, and all my old gear, whgile I sort out how I am going to mix and match to re-"MIDImix" some of my old and half-finished stuff, to get sounds right etc.

I have SONAR5 demo. I did this because I would rather have no ability to Save than have a time-limited demo.

I have actually had non-VST control over MIDI CC#s using a Yamaha card and XGEdit, and a Roland Sound Canvas and SCEdit. So I know how amazing it is to "real-time" all the FX and have them stored..
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1