ReWire is (possibly) destroying my life.

Author
aveatrex
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14
2010/07/15 17:53:07 (permalink)

ReWire is (possibly) destroying my life.

Hi guys,

So I bought a nice i7 custom build because my old machine bit the dust. It's running Windows XP x64, and the 32 bit version of Sonar 8.

I am having huge issues with using Reason 3 through ReWire. When I insert a midi track into Sonar and route it to a Reason channel, everything works spectaculary for about 2 minutes. Really lovely. After that time is up, some of my audio tracks in Sonar get extremely muffled/distorted and playback on a whole becomes very, very choppy.

If I close Reason, the problem remains. It only goes away when I delete the midi track in Sonar.

I find the whole situation odd, especially the fact that it works well for a few minutes.

I am grateful for any advice anyone may be able to offer. The only thing I can come up with is the operating system not being officially supported by Cakewalk? Still doesn't really explain the orignal lack of issues though.

Thank you,
John

12 Replies Related Threads

lorneyb2
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1667
    Re:ReWire is (possibly) destroying my life. 2010/07/15 18:03:35 (permalink)
    Have you tried increasing your buffers for your audio card?  Another thing to try would be deleting you picture cache WOV files.  Also could try turning off the "show wave file" box in the track if you have it turned on.  I don't have reason but use notion3 via rewire on an xp pro 64bit using the 8.0 sonar 32bit and it seems to work fine.  You didn't indicate how much ram you have. If you have 4gb with sonar 32bit that would not be an issue.
    A1MixMan
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1706
    Re:ReWire is (possibly) destroying my life. 2010/07/15 18:18:53 (permalink)
    Not that it would solve your problem, although it might, I would suggest moving to Win7 64 bit and Sonar 8.5 64 bit if you can. You have a new computer, so I would think it would run fine on it.

A1
    lorneyb2
    Re:ReWire is (possibly) destroying my life. 2010/07/15 18:41:01 (permalink)
    A1MixMan

Not that it would solve your problem, although it might, I would suggest moving to Win7 64 bit and Sonar 8.5 64 bit if you can. You have a new computer, so I would think it would run fine on it.

Rewire does not run in 64bit of any kind at this point. 
    simpleman
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 262
    Re:ReWire is (possibly) destroying my life. 2010/07/15 19:00:42 (permalink)
    Sounds like this is an issue with your CPU not load balancing its cores.
    Having a i7 system should be as suggested, you ought to upgrade everything you got. This is, Win7 32 or 64 Sonar8 V32 (for REWIRE) and Reason Ver 4.
    If you must use this, then you need to at least tune-up your system to the best ability. Get the latest Service Pack available for XP64 to start with.
    post edited by simpleman - 2010/07/15 19:14:49
    aveatrex
    Re:ReWire is (possibly) destroying my life. 2010/07/15 20:53:30 (permalink)
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.

It's not the latency: I've tried higher latency on the ASIO driver and extremely high latencies with the WDM driver.

I don't want to install Sonar 64 bit due to it's lack of support for ReWire and cause I don't feel like dealing with wrappers for my 32-bit plugs.

I have a really hard time believing this has anything to due with the computer's power. It's an i7 920 with 6 GB of DDR3 RAM. I could run projects with significantly more tracks, effects, and with ReWire/Reason going on my 5 year old Pentium 4.

It's definitely something to do with Reason....whether the problem is Reason by itself or the combination of Reason/Rewire/XP 64 bit I think is the question.

I'm sure upgrading all the software would solve the problem if I still installed Sonar 8.5 32-bit/Win 7 64 bit/Reason 4, but I don't really have the cash to upgrade right now, nor the technical know-how to upgrade operating systems.
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:ReWire is (possibly) destroying my life. 2010/07/15 21:21:15 (permalink)
    a few things, you are running an updated reason 3 + rewire lib? if not maybe issues

32 bit sonar is fine with 32 bit reason.. not happy that props haven't pulled their finger out and updated their rex/rx2 lib also

I'm running reason 4 without issue..

asio mode? turned off or on shared in background in audio?

been thru the guide on the props site?
    http://www.propellerheads...cle&article=sonar0

you don't say what soundcard, mode you run..

I use v4 , so can't be specific about v3 as I haven't used it in well 2+ years? I guess

I run win 7 -64 now though
    post edited by Fog - 2010/07/15 21:23:24
    Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    Re:ReWire is (possibly) destroying my life. 2010/07/15 21:22:19 (permalink)
    Read this tutorial concerning Sonar and Reason 4 rewire Tutorial...  remember to use Sonar as the host.

http://www.propellerheads.se/substance/rewirehelp/index.cfm?article=sonar0&fuseaction=get_article

================================================================

Procedure for rewire with Sonar from EQ Magazine

"Go Insert > ReWire Device and choose the device you want to insert. You’ll see a list of all registered ReWire devices.

Select one, and a dialog box will pop up with check boxes for “First Synth Output” or “All Synth Outputs.” The former chooses mixed stereo outs, while the latter presents all available outs. Be careful if you choose the latter – do this with Reason, and it will add 64 channels to Sonar’s mixer. You can always delete the ones you don’t use, but still, unless you need individual outs, go for the main stereo outs.

You’ll also be asked if you want a MIDI source track. This is necessary should you want to send MIDI data to the client, e.g., control Reason’s soft synths via a MIDI keyboard. Of course, you can insert a MIDI track later, but if you do it now it will be named automatically, and be ready to go. You can also check “Open Synth Property Page” if you want to bring the client’s window to the fore, and “Open Synth Rack,” which shows a Sonar “virtual rack” of whatever synth and ReWire devices you have open.

Bonus feature: With Reason, the instrument names show up as outputs in Sonar’s MIDI Source Track."

Peace
    post edited by Jesse G - 2010/07/15 21:33:05

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    aveatrex
    Re:ReWire is (possibly) destroying my life. 2010/07/16 00:08:50 (permalink)
    Fog

a few things, you are running an updated reason 3 + rewire lib? if not maybe issues

32 bit sonar is fine with 32 bit reason.. not happy that props haven't pulled their finger out and updated their rex/rx2 lib also

I'm running reason 4 without issue..

asio mode? turned off or on shared in background in audio?

been thru the guide on the props site?
    http://www.propellerheads...cle&article=sonar0

you don't say what soundcard, mode you run..

I use v4 , so can't be specific about v3 as I haven't used it in well 2+ years? I guess

I run win 7 -64 now though

Hey Fog,

Thanks for the response. I use a Tascam FW-1884 with the ASIO driver at 96k. However, I get the same issues at 48k and 44k. I originally didn't upgrade to Win7 because there was no driver support for the Tascam, that has been changed relatively recently so maybe it's time.

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you ask what mode I run...Could you elaborate?

Thank you,
    John
    lorneyb2
    Re:ReWire is (possibly) destroying my life. 2010/07/16 02:39:23 (permalink)
    The fact that it works well for a while and then goes bad would seem to indicate either a resource issue or synchronization issue.  Under Options - Audio - Advanced make sure Share drivers with other programs is checked. 

With the possibility that it may be resource based I would probably suggest using 48 instead of 96k.  I'm sure you are aware but just in case anytime you make any adjustments to latency or changing from 96 to 48 you need to shut down Sonar, Reason and your sound card for it to take effect with 8.0 if I am not mistaken.   The picture cache could still also be a factor.  Look up in help file under picture cache - optimizing for some other suggestions related to that.

Also ensure your video card drivers are update.  Should be able to do that through Windows update - custom under hardware.
    aveatrex
    Re:ReWire is (possibly) destroying my life. 2010/07/17 14:11:56 (permalink)
    lorneyb2

The fact that it works well for a while and then goes bad would seem to indicate either a resource issue or synchronization issue.  Under Options - Audio - Advanced make sure Share drivers with other programs is checked. 

With the possibility that it may be resource based I would probably suggest using 48 instead of 96k.  I'm sure you are aware but just in case anytime you make any adjustments to latency or changing from 96 to 48 you need to shut down Sonar, Reason and your sound card for it to take effect with 8.0 if I am not mistaken.   The picture cache could still also be a factor.  Look up in help file under picture cache - optimizing for some other suggestions related to that.

Also ensure your video card drivers are update.  Should be able to do that through Windows update - custom under hardware.

Hi lorney,

Thanks for your advice. Share drivers with other programs is checked. Something that I just noticed....is that it's only NEW files. I opened up an old file that has a decent amount of FX and a rather large Reason file, and it works PERFECTLY!

Ugh. Even more lost now than I was before.

Jonbouy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:ReWire is (possibly) destroying my life. 2010/07/18 03:30:46 (permalink)

Share drivers with other programs is checked.

Get clear on this. Despite what has been said earlier it needs to be unchecked no tick in the box!

Otherwise Sonar won't play audio when Reason gets the focus.

Simplest thing first just to be sure, of course you are loading Sonar first before launching Reason by selecting Insert/Rewire Devices/Reason from Sonars menu rather than launching Reason independently, yes?  Good.

Reason 3 only supports output rates of 44.1 and 48 kHz so running Sonar at 96 kHz is not only pointless but is likely to cause issues too.

Make sure you are running at least v3.04 of Reason 3 or v4.01 Reason 4. If not get updates here.

http://www.propellerheads...article=reason_updates

After fixing those issues above run through this article here although written for older versions of Sonar it still holds true.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Tips/SONAR/Rewire1.aspx

Then let us know if you are still having trouble after working through all the Reason specific info there.

fwiw I've been using Sonar/Reason rewired here almost daily for the last 2 years without issue.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/07/18 04:15:17

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    aveatrex
    Re:ReWire is (possibly) destroying my life. 2010/07/26 09:53:24 (permalink)
    Jonbouy

Get clear on this. Despite what has been said earlier it needs to be unchecked no tick in the box!

Otherwise Sonar won't play audio when Reason gets the focus.

Simplest thing first just to be sure, of course you are loading Sonar first before launching Reason by selecting Insert/Rewire Devices/Reason from Sonars menu rather than launching Reason independently, yes?  Good.

Reason 3 only supports output rates of 44.1 and 48 kHz so running Sonar at 96 kHz is not only pointless but is likely to cause issues too.

Make sure you are running at least v3.04 of Reason 3 or v4.01 Reason 4. If not get updates here.

http://www.propellerheads.se/download/index.cfm?fuseaction=get_article&article=reason_updates

After fixing those issues above run through this article here although written for older versions of Sonar it still holds true.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Tips/SONAR/Rewire1.aspx

Then let us know if you are still having trouble after working through all the Reason specific info there.

fwiw I've been using Sonar/Reason rewired here almost daily for the last 2 years without issue.
    A happy update on this. I downloaded the Reason 4 demo, and it solved my problem completely. I think, as you say, running at 96k may have been causing issues. Time to upgrade, I suppose! It's certainly well worth it, though. The capabilities of Reason and Sonar together are just incredible.

Very thankful for everyone's help,
    John

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1