Read This. Help me, please.. (mixdown volume)

Author
Chincho
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16
2006/11/28 22:07:14 (permalink)

Read This. Help me, please.. (mixdown volume)

hallooo every body...

I have a quiestion.

Since i began recording and mixing/mastering stracks, I noticed that my mixdowns have a lower volume than other tracks i compare with. I try every time to get the highest volume possible withouth distortion, but it's still not enough.

I want to know if there is some effects i can use to gain the maximum volume possible on my mixdowns withouth distorion. and wich of those options you give me (i hope) is the best to apply.

I'm using Sonar 5. I now. I have a mixer, connected to my pc, and a B1 Condencer mic.

Thanx in advance, for the help..

ps: I'm not english speaking. forgive me for the bad autography, gramatica, word spelling etc etc.

Leroy

12 Replies Related Threads

kfischer
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 452
    RE: Read This. Help me, please.. (mixdown volume) 2006/11/28 22:18:46 (permalink)
    Halloo back to you...

This is a very common question and thread in these forums. You need to learn about "mastering." There are many good sources but start with the "mastering guide" in PDF format, available free a http://www.izotope.com This will explain why your volume is low, what to do about it (you need a mastering plug-in) and so forth.

Good luck. Your English is quite good... much better than any second language I might dabble in.

Kirk
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Read This. Help me, please.. (mixdown volume) 2006/11/28 22:24:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Chincho

hallooo every body...

I have a quiestion.

Since i began recording and mixing/mastering stracks, I noticed that my mixdowns have a lower volume than other tracks i compare with. I try every time to get the highest volume possible withouth distortion, but it's still not enough.

I want to know if there is some effects i can use to gain the maximum volume possible on my mixdowns withouth distorion. and wich of those options you give me (i hope) is the best to apply.

I'm using Sonar 5. I now. I have a mixer, connected to my pc, and a B1 Condencer mic.

Thanx in advance, for the help..

ps: I'm not english speaking. forgive me for the bad autography, gramatica, word spelling etc etc.

Do you mix with a compressor on the main bus ?
    Chincho
    RE: Read This. Help me, please.. (mixdown volume) 2006/11/29 14:08:34 (permalink)

I don't know how to put the tracks in busses and things.
    I just compress every voice (i'm recording rap artists) separately
    mix the tracks the way i want it to sound like. put effects, compress en every thing i want to do
    on each voice, separately. and than I mixdown the track. export. than i import the mixdown in another project, and i compress it trying to gain some more DB's and add some EQ if needed. i've heard that the limiter isn't a recomended way to gain more volume, and neither the master volume paramater. so, what else can I do ???

ant to the other guy who gave me the link. Where can I download the pdf file. i see no file to download on the site. only softwares

Leroy
    Plyrman
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1062
    RE: Read This. Help me, please.. (mixdown volume) 2006/11/29 14:23:08 (permalink)
    Hey Chincho....as mentioned the "volume" issues are handled in the "mastering" process...that could simply mean running the two channel L & R final mix through something...of your choice....and adjusting the bass, mid, and hi frequencies as well as the "volume" of the overall mix.....

I use a Sony CD deck similar to the Alesis Masterlink for this process. I'm sure there are many software programs to do it as well....

Just my .03 cents......

Mike G.
    Sonar X3 Custom Build: IntelCore2Quad, 16 gig Ram, Asus Z87-Plus, Internal 200GB SATA HDD (1) 320GB SATA HDD (2), Motif Rack, Roland Juno-G, Trigger Finger, Keystation 88, Tascam FW1082, JBL 4328's
    Chincho
    RE: Read This. Help me, please.. (mixdown volume) 2006/11/29 14:35:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Plyrman

Hey Chincho....as mentioned the "volume" issues are handled in the "mastering" process...that could simply mean running the two channel L & R final mix through something...of your choice....and adjusting the bass, mid, and hi frequencies as well as the "volume" of the overall mix.....

I use a Sony CD deck similar to the Alesis Masterlink for this process. I'm sure there are many software programs to do it as well....

Just my .03 cents......

Can't i get more volume with sonar 5 ?

look, here's my story (part of it)

I'm happy with the mixing I'm doing. it go through the screaning prosses of the radio stations here, and i'm becoming more fomus here. rappers are calling me from all over the island, to do they recordings. but write now just want to get more volume withouth damage my quality and withouth getting clips distortion.

or what other program do you recomend me ?? I thouth that I just had to get me some vst plugins to do all that masterings stuff. like comrpessers, reverbs, limiters, dynamic prossesing etc

Leroy
    ohhey
    RE: Read This. Help me, please.. (mixdown volume) 2006/11/29 15:11:55 (permalink)

I don't know how to put the tracks in busses and things.
    I just compress every voice (i'm recording rap artists) separately
    mix the tracks the way i want it to sound like. put effects, compress en every thing i want to do
    on each voice, separately. and than I mixdown the track. export. than i import the mixdown in another project, and i compress it trying to gain some more DB's and add some EQ if needed. i've heard that the limiter isn't a recomended way to gain more volume, and neither the master volume paramater. so, what else can I do ???

ant to the other guy who gave me the link. Where can I download the pdf file. i see no file to download on the site. only softwares

I'm just talking about the main stereo output bus, the one you use the listen to the mix and export. It has an effects bin just like the tracks do. You can put a compressor there to make the entire mix louder. Just watch the meters and make sure they don't go into the red.
    Jonny M
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: Read This. Help me, please.. (mixdown volume) 2006/11/29 15:34:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ohhey

I'm just talking about the main stereo output bus, the one you use the listen to the mix and export. It has an effects bin just like the tracks do. You can put a compressor there to make the entire mix louder. Just watch the meters and make sure they don't go into the red.

Is that the Master output you're refreeing to? Or a bus? I thught if you sent something to a bus then it splits the channel..? Or am I confusing this with something? Aagh.
    ohhey
    RE: Read This. Help me, please.. (mixdown volume) 2006/11/29 15:39:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jonny M

ORIGINAL: ohhey

Is that the Master output you're refreeing to? Or a bus? I thught if you sent something to a bus then it splits the channel..? Or am I confusing this with something? Aagh.

Yes, the master output, it's just a bus like other ones you might create but it's there by default.
    Junski
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1570
    RE: Read This. Help me, please.. (mixdown volume) 2006/11/29 17:20:52 (permalink)
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=913060 (read the whole thread).

Junski

davidchristopher
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1360
    RE: Read This. Help me, please.. (mixdown volume) 2006/12/03 01:06:29 (permalink)
    ...and then, for the love of Dog, spend a day or two reading the manual and doing the tutorial. It's ESSENTIAL that you learn the tools you're using. After that, I would STRONGLY recommend picking up "The Mix Engineer's Handbook" - which will cover off a lot of mixing techniques that you will NEED to use regardless of what style of music - or spoken word, as the case may be - you are creating; Concepts such as equalization and dynamics are not necessarily for the faint of heart; there's some definite skill and science to it.

Once you've done all that... practice practice practice!

Without an understanding of basic concepts such as bussing and dynamics, you're going to hit the wall very quickly.

David Bistolas
    www.bistolas.net
    Thomas Campitelli
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 598
    RE: Read This. Help me, please.. (mixdown volume) 2006/12/03 15:39:00 (permalink)
    or what other program do you recomend me ?? I thouth that I just had to get me some vst plugins to do all that masterings stuff. like comrpessers, reverbs, limiters, dynamic prossesing etc

You can do some mastering in Sonar just as it is, although you will probably want some extra help. Mastering can be, in my opinion, more difficult than recording. If you are not comfortable with Sonar and how to use it then you should learn Sonar first.

Ozone is a software package that you can use within Sonar to help with mastering. That PDF manual you were looking for can be found at: http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/OzoneMasteringGuide.PDF.

Voxengo makes several VST effects that can be used together to help with mastering tasks. You can find them at http://www.voxengo.com/group/mastering/. The have a group of plugins called the Voxengo Mastering Suite. Those would probably do the trick.

Honestly, you may want to have someone else do your mastering. That way, you don't have to buy anything and you don't need to learn how to do it yourself. There are many people that specialize in mastering music.

Thomas Campitelli
    http://www.crysknifeband.com
    themidiroom
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1170
    RE: Read This. Help me, please.. (mixdown volume) 2006/12/04 10:40:40 (permalink)
    I think it's good for mix engineers to be familiar with mastering. Even if you don't plan to do any mastering, knowing the process will probably make you a better mix engineer. I do some mastering mostly for demos. Over the years, I've gotten much better at it.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!
    http://www.themidiroom.com

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1