"Real" analog - not so impressive anymore?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Nick P
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3112
2008/02/20 05:55:32 (permalink)

"Real" analog - not so impressive anymore?

Yesterday I wandered in to the synth room at my local Sam Ash. To my surprise there was the Dave Smith Prophet 08 keyboard model. Thinking I would soon be in analog bliss I dialed through a few presets and......not so exciting anymore. Truthfully some of the VA synths like the Korg Radias, and yes, Cakewalk's Rapture, give me more of a buzz these days. The new Minimoogs (Voyager and derivatives) are of course gorgeous and will always be in a class by themselves. But this Prophet (and I owned a Prophet V back in the day), something underwhelming about it. Knobs were much smaller than I had envisioned and seemed not all that sturdy. That goes for the whole overall build. And having to dial through presets with the same sized knob as all the rest - makes it really hard to get a flow going, which is a big part of analog synthesis.

True, it was being played through a mono keyboard amp. But hey, back in the day these things were all mono anyway. Nope it wasn't that. It was a principle I've been espousing since the dawn of the VAs and soft-synth "analogs". That is: If we had had the Korg Radias and Cakewalk Rapture at the same time as the classic analog poly-synths of the early 1980s, would we be so falling all over ourselves about how "warm" and "fat" the "real" analog synths were? Maybe not.

Just something to think about, but for now, I'll keep my money in my pocket and get much more intimate with Rapture. I guess sometimes you can't go back.

(edited for typo)
post edited by Nick P - 2008/02/20 05:56:24

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!

36 Replies Related Threads

fac
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2427
    RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/02/20 07:36:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Nick P
    having to dial through presets

That was the problem there.

Did you try the other dozens of knobs in the P08?

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
    Nick P
    RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/02/20 10:08:33 (permalink)
    Yup. I stated, "Knobs were much smaller than I had envisioned and seemed not all that sturdy." I didn't expect them to be as big as the old Prophet knobs, but I expected them to be bigger and sturdier than what I encountered.

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/02/20 18:29:38 (permalink)

If we had had the Korg Radias and Cakewalk Rapture at the same time as the classic analog poly-synths of the early 1980s, would we be so falling all over ourselves about how "warm" and "fat" the "real" analog synths were? Maybe not.

I've wondered the same thing.
    Nick P
    RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/02/20 21:30:53 (permalink)
    One thing's for sure. The old analog polys only sounded really good when they were pumped through a really expensive mixing board (SSL, Neve, Trident), eq'd to heck and back, and stereo spread with a harmonizer. Now, all of that comes in the box (w/ VAs and soft-synths). Gotta love it!

Trusty
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 590
    RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/02/20 22:25:56 (permalink)
    Analog, digital, harware, software...whatever.

I think you are right though, if people had the power of some of the VA or digital or whatever they are called in the 60's-70's, they'd think differently about "warmth" or whatever...

Anyway, that sort of did happen though. D-50's, Wavestations, DX-7's and the like took over the 80's and many people did think that they were the sliced bread similar to what you are referring to...

For me, I could care less...I like what I use, and I miss nothing from not having my old hardware, and I never cared much for real analog sound anyway to pay what they ask for it...not when emulations and VA synths (hard or soft) are close enough for me.

However, my opinion is very skewed because as much as I know synthesis basics...and the very basics at that...and love to muck about tweaking presets, I like composing tracks, so designing patches from the ground up is not really my thing anyway. With the exception of Rapture, though... I got into the whole making single cycle wavetables from samples to learn Rapture and create my own sounds, and with Rapture being a "new way" to do old hat for some people, it is new enough with some of the features to make me not feel as behind the curve as much...even with basic subtractive synthesis...

fac
    RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/02/20 23:33:30 (permalink)
    By the way..... I don't think the Prophet 08 is so great, either, although my opinion is only based on audio and video clips. I think the PolyEvolver is much more interesting, did you try that one?

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/02/20 23:52:44 (permalink)
    Digital is great, but so is analog. Rapture and other soft-synths provide a wealth of programablity beyone even modular analog, just as SONAR/P5 and fill in the blank run circles around editing in analog. There is really no comparision.

However (you knew that was coming) analog has its own charm. Knobs (or sliders) on analog synths put everything under your fingertips in a very sensual, tactile manner. Instead of programming a sound, you actually played it, and analog instability actually helped this. A performance was a one time event - you could never get the same one twice, no matter how well you wrote down the settings. Also, you were limited in your controls, and if you made the right choices it was magic. If not, you had to start from scratch and a usually blurry memory.

The lack of recall and limited outboard also made choices during tracking/mixing. With digital, you have comps/eqs and effects on each channel. Big studios could give you that, but certainly not my home studio. I had a single compressor, tho two effects. You printed stuff to 8 tracks. I never would have thought to run one sound twice through a roland tape machine except I stumbled upon adding a second reverb on mixdown. Not a serendipitous mistake so much as setting up an fx track. Talk about big - I had to drop adding reverb to everything to mix down that single sound and the dry tracks vs. the double 'verbed bass sound worked well.

I'm surprised how well my home studio stuff done on analog holds up - including the hissy yet full sound. Just thought I'd play the devil's advocate here - Sometime limitations are a trick unto themselves.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Nick P
    RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/02/21 10:20:55 (permalink)
    The move to the DX-7 on recordings in the mid-1980s to me heralded a major decline in the quality of recorded music, especially pop. Many "producers" completely bailed on analog with the results being usually a cold one-dimensional synth sound. However there were also experienced, artistic producers who kept their analog and added the new DX technology, usually with excellent results, via both layering and mixing the two synthesis methods.

But some of the darkest days of pop music, next to the late 1980s/early 1990s with those horrible sampled "hip-hop" loops becoming the basis for entire recordings, was the era of the TX-816 (8 DX modules in a rack) based pop record, circa 1985/1986.

The D-50 was sort of a different story. Not only did it have some really spatial sounds, but by that time people were figuring out how to put at least some warmth back into pop records, albeit digital synthesis and recording were still in their cold, icy infancy stages.

Even then I can remember lamenting the absence of analog polysynth "warmth", no matter how out-of-fashion current producers considered it. Thank goodness creative people started re-discovering it soon after. Thus the analog renaissance and just as importantly the VA and soft-synth analog clone evolution.

Trusty
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 590
    RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/02/21 23:43:48 (permalink)
    Hey! I like some of that cold pop music from the late 80's...
    mumpcake
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/02/22 01:20:22 (permalink)
    True, it was being played through a mono keyboard amp. But hey, back in the day these things were all mono anyway. Nope it wasn't that. It was a principle I've been espousing since the dawn of the VAs and soft-synth "analogs". That is: If we had had the Korg Radias and Cakewalk Rapture at the same time as the classic analog poly-synths of the early 1980s, would we be so falling all over ourselves about how "warm" and "fat" the "real" analog synths were? Maybe not

Any product becomes much cooler when a) it goes out of production and b) popular musicians continue to use them. The vintage guitar effects market is the same way.
    Nick P
    RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/02/22 07:10:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Trusty

LOL. Cool. To each his own. I was living in L.A. when the DX mania started. It was like you'd think these people had seen God or something. You couldn't give a Prophet V away. I stupidly followed the crowd and sold mine to someone in town from overseas for like $1,600 or something - a good price at the time. Of course I sorely regret it. It was a rev 3.3. w/ MIDI and in great shape. I wound up with a Super Jupiter MKS-80 but it was never the same as the P5.

auricle
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 492
    RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/02/22 13:35:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Trusty

LOL. Cool. To each his own. I was living in L.A. when the DX mania started. It was like you'd think these people had seen God or something. You couldn't give a Prophet V away. I stupidly followed the crowd and sold mine to someone in town from overseas for like $1,600 or something - a good price at the time. Of course I sorely regret it. It was a rev 3.3. w/ MIDI and in great shape. I wound up with a Super Jupiter MKS-80 but it was never the same as the P5.

There's always Native Instruments or Arturia
    joshhunsaker
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 638
    RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/02/22 16:24:39 (permalink)
    if it can be analyzed...it can be emulated.

analog is a dying art-form. it just really is on the way out. too expensive - too specialized. Everyone and their brothers are also computer engineers now instead of electrical engineers, so it only makes sense.
    post edited by joshhunsaker - 2008/02/22 16:42:16
    ckatrun411
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/02/22 21:58:09 (permalink)
    what software can not do at all. is genuine tube distortion. I say this from the point of view of a speed metal guitarist who has been playing with synths for a couple of years...

software disto is just, blah, not even close to a screaming marshall tube. and a lot of people would say, software filters are not even close as well.

However... software synthesis, is amazing. Rapture is amazing. This thing has taken over my music. I had a lot of trouble with this instrument at first. the gui to me was very difficult to get a handle on. but I kept at it, and I just love Rapture, the synth has the most brilliant sound quality. Fantastic sound design capabilities, and the dsp functions are great. as well as the filters, although they are not mind blowing at all.

but software disto, in general, and not just Rapture's aint even close to a real screaming tube. its just like. the algorithm there must be weird. its something, but the software engineers havn't quite nailed it.

I am not saying these guys are not brilliant. quite the contrary, I am well aware how talented the coders at companies like NI, Cakewalk, Virsyn, and a whole host of others are. I totally respect that. but the disto algorithms, just seem hard to write.

Virsyn comes very close. the OVerdrive on Tera is IMHO, the best and most " real " sounding analog overdrive on any soft synth. Harry really has that algorithm nailed better than anybody.

Cheers
    mhz prime
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/02/24 09:30:46 (permalink)
    my virus kc sounds better then any of the soft synths I have ever heard.

hardware synths sound better plain and simple
    fac
    RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/02/24 09:46:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mhz prime

my virus kc sounds better then any of the soft synths I have ever heard.

hardware synths sound better plain and simple

whereas many softsynths sound plain and simple.

Nick P
    RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/02/25 02:25:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: joshhunsaker

if it can be analyzed...it can be emulated.

But not duplicated. That goes for "real" analog, as well as traditional orchestral instruments. If they could be, movie scores would be using sampled orchestras. But they don't. If soft-synths and V.A.s sounded as good as "real" analog, then why would Moog be selling so many Minimoogs? Why would Dave Smith be selling so many Evolvers and Prophet 08s? It sounds like I'm contradicting my earlier post but I'm not. I think "real" analog sounds better than V.A. hardware or software, and real orchestral instruments played by real players sounds better than a sampled mock-up, no matter how painstaking and expensive the latter may be.

In my original post, I made the point that possibly if we had had V.A. hardware and software at the same time the great analog poly-synths came out, we might prefer the V.A.s simply because they sound so much better right out of the box. Imagine a Korg Radias next to a mono Prophet V with no effects. Most people I think would take the Radias. Now take that same Prophet, bring it into a big studio, pump it through a vintage British board with EQ and dynamics (i.e. Trident board), then spread it with a harmonizer and put some nice high-end Lexicon or AMS reverb on it, and you start to hear how much more movement and psychic goodness there is in the "real" analog. Thus, for most lacking the resources to create such an environment, the V.A. hardware and software seems the more practical solution.

fac
    RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/02/25 12:01:43 (permalink)

Imagine a Korg Radias next to a mono Prophet V with no effects. Most people I think would take the Radias.

You don't have to imagine it. I'm sure more people have bought a Radias than an Prophet'08. Sure, price is a big factor here, but also polyphony, patch memory, flexibility, maintainability, etc.

For example, I have an expanded Nord Modular G2, and a small synthesizers.com analog modular. Both cost me around $2200 (quite a bit for a hobbyist musician). The .com is an incredible sounding synth and I love it, but it's monophonic and only has 3 oscillators, 2 filters, 2 amplifiers, 2 envelopes, and some other modules. On the other hand, the Nord is 4-part multitimbral, where each timbre can play various voices. With the polyphony expansion, it can do between 7 and 32 voices. It can do practically anything except sample-based stuff. It has a great interface for tweaking. It doesn't sound as good as the dotcom, but it sounds pretty good. The only downsides are that you need a PC to edit the patches, and that in a few years, it won't hold its value as well as the analog modular. I'm glad I can have both, but if I had to decide, I'd take the Nord anytime.

SteveW
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/03/02 09:18:41 (permalink)
    BTW I just saw on Clavia's web page that as of January '08 they started work on a Vista USB driver for the G2. Good news!
    Nick P
    RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/03/03 02:02:12 (permalink)
    Well, if we're dreaming - I'd still go with the Prophet 08, and Minimoog - either the new version or the Voyager. That covers analog completely for me. Then I'd go for a Radias for VA. Couple of others - the Roland V-Synth. Never been knocked out by the Virus, but the Novation Nova synths have always sounded sweet. To bad they don't make them anymore. Sequence it all off of an MPC 5000. So much for software, lol.

DerGeist
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 329
    RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/03/10 15:40:53 (permalink)
    I played a Prophet 08 on the weekend and it was really nice. That said I think I would prefer the Poly Evolver.

Currently I'm using an evovler keyboard and love it. I just wish the knobs transmitted midi.
    AJ_0000
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 738
    RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/04/05 13:16:10 (permalink)
    I'm about a month late to this thread, but I felt the need to chime in. I disagree. There is no question that high-quality analog gear sounds better than digital in most cases. The problem is the cost differential. Digital will get you very close for a fraction of the cost. I've played the Prophet '08, and was very impressed. I would buy one in an instant, if I could afford it. That's the key.

One way to illustrate it is the fact that a digital instrument will usually fit right into a mix without much effort, whereas a recorded "real" instrument (loud, distorted electric guitar, bass, drums) usually needs to be EQ'd like crazy. The reason is that there are all kinds of harmonics and random stuff going on in the live sound that "perfect" digitally created sounds leave out. As emulation gets better and better the differences may be less immediately noticeable, but they are there.
    sarcazm
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/04/05 21:43:14 (permalink)
    re VST distortion : check out Ohmicide. You won't be disappointed!
    Nick P
    RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/04/06 04:36:06 (permalink)
    Maybe the Prophet 8 I'm checking out is not working properly, but I can't seem to find, program, or play a basic 4 or 5 note synth brass sound without it stealing voices and otherwise acting weird. I made sure that split/layer was off, dialed through a few sounds, and no luck. I mean let's face it, the first sound on an instrument like that should be the "Jump" brass with no effects, 8 voices, straight ahead. Next should be MINI bass, then strings. You know, the basics.

Arthur Yeomans
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/04/08 19:57:47 (permalink)
    I would love to get intimate with my Rapture, but it doesn't want to install even after attempting to patch the registry. I'm not sure why such a highly touted product would achieve awards when it won't install correctly. I'm virtually dumbfounded by it. So in current state of mind after spending countless hours uninstalling, reinstalling, rebooting and cussing at Roland for making me move away from buying Arturia and Korg, I'm thinking hardware is much better than software. I'd take a MOOG Voyager, or even a Prophet V over Rapture. At least they would both work unlike Rapture which does not. Very frustrating.
    ckatrun411
    RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/04/08 20:01:38 (permalink)
    Arthur, why don't you just call cakewalk support?

It always trips me out when people llike, sign up to a companies forum to make their first post, a complaint.

Got a license? Call support, I have called for my own problems twice... They give great support.
    Arthur Yeomans
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/04/09 00:03:11 (permalink)

Yeah it trips me out too when people pipe up and don't understand the frustration level with Roland's "out of whack" registration processes then dirty uninstalls on top of failed installation processes. Matter of fact it downright ticks me off when I see the old "reboot your computer" comment that the company knows damn well does not work all the time. Very amateur! Might as well say, "We really don't know what the hell we're doing". I am still awaiting a response from support. Yes, the software is licensed and I paid a lot of money for it. Otherwise I wouldn't be so pissed off! Jesus, cheap software at $50 to $60 installs better than Cakewalk products. Just not a good way to earn a loyal customer in my opinion. Yes, there will be problems but at this price and at this version there should be no install problems and there is. Not even the patch fixes it and that is another issue.

So the post is well deserved because Roland/Cakewalk failed to make their software a stable product under an OS that has been around for a while. I shouldn't have make a phone call to support for simple installs and patches that don't work. That is ridiculous!
    ckatrun411
    RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/04/09 00:17:41 (permalink)
    something could totally be wrong with your system.

You should:

A) Start a proper thread asking other users for help, and explain to the last detail your system spec,

or,

B) call cakewalk in the morning.
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/04/09 12:32:37 (permalink)
    So the post is well deserved because Roland/Cakewalk failed to make their software a stable product under an OS that has been around for a while.

Which OS?

Since Rapture's release, I've installed it on Apple Tiger (10.4), Windows XP Pro (SP2), Windows XP Home (SP2), Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit, and Windows Vista Home Premium... with no issues.
    They had to patch for Apple Leopard, but it worked the first time for me.

I'm assuming since you mentioned the registry, you're not using a Mac.

What made you go to the registry?
    That's rarely where I'd personally go for an install problem... though I might end up there if I've exhausted everything else, including calling/emailing Cakewalk, which if you really want a solution to a rare problem is pretty much required, and you have a rare problem, not representative of the norm, or we'd have heard about it for a while now from others (and we haven't).

I'll totally help walk you through it...

Good luck,
    - zevo
    post edited by inmazevo - 2008/04/09 12:51:32
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1