Real time recording

Author
smartin110
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2005/09/09 06:22:12 (permalink)

Real time recording

I've been trying to record some audio tracks, and there seems to be about a 1 second delay between what I'm playing and when i actually hear it. How can I listen to the track I'm recording as I play, without any delay time?

1 Reply Related Threads

bargainboy1
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Real time recording 2005/09/10 00:57:59 (permalink)
    From one of the tutorial/best of/faq threads on this forum:

Echo and Delay in AUDIO millerbill
    Just when you think you've got it figured out.... BAM! ... you learn something new.

How many times have we heard someone say : I get echo or I get delay???

Well sometimes that's a latency issue [most people would call it delay and not echo], but that's not what I'm talking about here. [If you need that discussion - search the forum for 'latency' and good luck!]

For all these many months I have found various ways of curing my echo when I recorded from tapes and other audio inputs. Tonight I was trying to record a WAV that was playing on my computer in another program, into Music Creator, and no matter what I did the echo was there, feeding on itself getting louder and louder until I had to kill it. [Sorry - I had to do it]

Then I remembered how everyone kept telling people to "disable input monitoring." - Since I had always solved my problem without disabling monitoring, I just thought it was something I didn't need. Well tonight I did need it, and finally saw the light. I hope this helps a few of you clear up your possible confusion.

I think people get confused between their latency delay and their audio echo. [They really can be two separate problems.]

Disabling input monitoring is easy. Just search your MC help file for 'echo' and you'll find
    "I Hear an Echo When I Record " with an explanation.

Then it will tell you how
    To disable input monitoring:
    1. Use the Options-Audio command to open the Audio Options dialog box.
    2. On the Input Monitoring tab, deselect the name(s) of the sound card(s)
    that you use for input monitoring.
    3. Click OK.

Some of you are new to computers and may not understand how to "deselect the names of your sound card." If you get to the Options-Audio-Input Monitoring Tab you should see one or more audio devices highlighted.

To deselect the card - click once on the highlight with your mouse. The highlight has disappeared and when you record so has the echo.

When you're finished, you may want to reselect the sound card and active input monitoring again - that is up to you.

I've dropped a lot of words here, but I really hope this may help someone out there struggling. It just goes to show you that there's always something new to learn and that this forum can really help.

Jeff
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1