Realistic drum software

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
lhansen
Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4765
2007/06/12 17:46:34 (permalink)

Realistic drum software

OK, so I'm not a drummer, nor have used any type of drum software before. I know I have to take the plunge here, so no use kicking & screaming. Can someone recommend to me what to use. I really want something VERY realistic sounding ( other than kidnapping and drugging a real drummer ) and EASY to use drum sounds/software that plays well with Sonar? Being an acoustic guitar player, I always lay down the rhythm guitar parts 1st, no click-track, just the percusive sound of the instrument for timing. So, being able to sync the two together would help. Being easy to manipulate them to fit the song is a plus. I'm not very schooled in the use of midi, so I don't want to tread in that region as of yet.

Go easy on me, I really lack in the percussion department. I read a few post on EZ drummer and the likes, but need guidance on this one. Thanks.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".

47 Replies Related Threads

droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/12 18:11:04 (permalink)
    Easy and realistic might be mutually exclusive, I dunno :-) I can recommend a non-easy and realistic one. It would probably be way easier to play to a click track in the end. You can extract a tempo from the guitar part, but it seems like your life would be a lot easier if you would go to the mountain instead. It just seems like you'd have to work a lot harder on the other bits to get them to follow the guitar part, when just being precise on the guitar part by using a click track would avoid those problems.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    lhansen
    RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/12 20:56:54 (permalink)
    Dean,
    I hear ya. I'm going to start practicing with a click to at least get used to it. Promise. Well, let me know what you use. I'm not afraid of that "mountain". I do want to start adding drum parts on some of my upcoming material. I appreciate the input.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

Ognis
    • Total Posts : 5129
    RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/12 21:19:35 (permalink)
    No such thing... Ever heard a realistic sounding guitar synth ??
    droddey
    RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/12 21:26:04 (permalink)
    I'm using BFD. But I wouldn't recommend it if you are looking for easy. Something like EZDrummer might be a better option. If you go with BFD then you have to spend a good bit of time to learn to mix real drums. But you can sound very realistic. A lot of folks use EZDrummer, and really like it. So maybe start with that one and see what you think.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    Ognis
    RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/12 21:33:37 (permalink)
    My opinon..

EZDrummer sucks. Don't ask why, I don't want to explain it again.

BFD sounds like crap, until you tweak it for days (I use BFD, but then again, I'm a drummer), but once you do, it will sound great (also, you'll need external effects.

Addictive Drums sound okay, if you want a big sound, with little tweaking. The midi triggers are weird though. Oh, and if you don't want big sound, then don't spend the money.

Battery is my all time fav, and reamains that way. The cells, the matrix, the output routing, the drag and drop of any sound on your computer.. IMO, its the best of the best.. You'll just need to find your own sounds for it, or tweak it for days to get a realistic acoustic kit... I usally don't want an acoustic kit, but a proccessed one, for heavy indrustral metal. For the acoustic, I reach for BFD..

There are some others, but I don't use loops, I play my own.

Oh, and my opinion sucks. And should be ignored completely.

lhansen
    RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/12 22:00:48 (permalink)
    Wow,
    Down and dirty answers. It sounds like I should probably start with something fairly simple and just test the waters a bit 1st. That way I'm not dropping bucks down on something that's going to frazzle my pea-brain, or make me want to hate music all-together. You've given me some ideas here to think about before I leap. Thanks guys!

Slow Marching Band

lhansen
    RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/12 22:01:56 (permalink)
    Actually, you just scared the hell outta me!!

Slow Marching Band

droddey
    RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/12 22:12:00 (permalink)
    I wouldn't just dismiss EZDrummer because Ognis doesn't like it. A lot of people do and they aren't idiots, so check it out and form your own opinion.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    Ognis
    RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/12 22:25:48 (permalink)
    Most people that use EZ Drummer (if not all people that use EZ Drummer) are guitar players. By the looks of your avitar, you will probley like it

(seriously, not making fun )

Like I say though, dont base anyting on my opinion, because I'm a drummer, I look at things from a whole 'nother perspective.
    kayehl
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 846
    RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/12 23:07:05 (permalink)
    There are two things to think about: the midi sequence that drives the drums, and the drum samples that play the sounds.

With the midi sequence, the realism comes from playing like a drummer would, adding dynamic accents, using rudiments like flams, 5 stroke rolls etc., pushing or dragging the beat, and balancing the cymbals with kik and snare in volulme and velocity.

With the samples it is vital that drums be multi sampled, i.e. recorded at different volumes, and velocity cross faded, so that the dynamics sound real. It's also important that your kik, snare, hat and ride sound good together, because they form the body of your sound; and also that they blend with the style of music you're doing and the tone of the other instruments. I'm not a big fan of using the same drum sounds on every song.

So i think those are the criteria i think you should look for when judging drum programs. You can program all this yourself once you get past the learning curve, but for most people these are the things you want your drum program to do for you.

I am not an expert
    Ognis
    RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/12 23:14:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lhansen

Wow,
    Down and dirty answers. It sounds like I should probably start with something fairly simple and just test the waters a bit 1st. That way I'm not dropping bucks down on something that's going to frazzle my pea-brain, or make me want to hate music all-together. You've given me some ideas here to think about before I leap. Thanks guys!

I think all the major players have demos, just with a limited libary / usage time / cant save, type thing. Except BFD, they have no demo. But if you have a Guitar Center near you, they should have it up for demo there. It's where I went to check it out, and ended up buying it.

Oh, and I'm not sure if kayehl is talking about using midi loops or what ? But what he said is correct regardless.
    Rev. Jem
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1723
    RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/12 23:49:05 (permalink)
    Hi Larry - look at it this way: you have no drums at all at the moment. How bad is giving Ezdrummer a shot gonna be ?

It's super-cheap, p1ss-easy to use & sounds great.

As long as the audience you wish to please isn't composed exclusively of purists then you're home & hosed, mate !
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/13 00:42:19 (permalink)
    I read a few post on EZ drummer

EZ Drummer is the easiest to get up/running quickly/easily.
    It doesn't sound bad...

If you get deeper into using MIDI/Samples, you may want to check out the new Kontakt2 version of Purrrfect Drums.
    Lots of control thanks to K2's custom scripting tools... (have a listen)
    http://www.studiocat.com/mp3/Purrrfect%20Drums_demo.mp3

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/13 05:13:14 (permalink)
    With the midi sequence, the realism comes from playing like a drummer would, adding dynamic accents, using rudiments like flams, 5 stroke rolls etc., pushing or dragging the beat, and balancing the cymbals with kik and snare in volulme and velocity.

Yep, all correct - which is why you should separate (or in some cases even double/treble) every single instrument to its own track, and play with the timing while holding the 'center' together. I happen to know you do this, and I totally concur.

Must say this padKontrol I'm using now is amazingly helpful here - roll and flam are, with a bit of randomizing help of software, totally convincing, and are easy to interject now.

What I do at the moment is use Sessiondrummer2 for a quick accompaniment to the clicktrack, split that into the desired elements and gradually replace them with 'human' drumming. Never could get that even remotely straight without going bonkers - IANAD - but now it's a gas. Plus, in essence it's an unlimited system, I can combine midi with samples - anything - and also really helps on the hardware front, it's not only software. It IS a very smart and conveniently laid out drumkit too, besides being a really useful controller for my DAW - will not only use it for recording, but also the mixing stage, for sure - have 4 band EQ at your fingertips with that X-Y control - real easy.

And practicing with a clicktrack at least half an hr a day sure helps, needless to say. We all THINK we've got a good sense of rhythm, ahem.

So I would politely suggest looking for other solutions than software that can never do it exactly right, and invest in something that will, with a bit more time and work.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    secondfromfalling
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86
    RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/13 09:17:46 (permalink)
    i have bfd and exdrummer ( i think is great for guitarists and song writeing) but at the end of the moth im going to
    splash out on bfd deluxe expasion pack

55GB is alot o i might have to by anothe hrd drive iswell lol

-DEan-
    secondfromfalling
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86
    RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/13 09:23:36 (permalink)
    i have bfd and exdrummer ( i think is great for guitarists and song writeing) but at the end of the moth im going to
    splash out on bfd deluxe expasion pack

55GB is alot o i might have to by anothe hrd drive iswell lol

-DEan-
    ParanoiA
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 747
    RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/13 10:00:07 (permalink)
    Well, your criteria is going to be tough to satisfy. I don't know how to get realistic sounding drums without using MIDI unless you're playing a real acoustic set. I mean, you can buy some drum machines and stuff and use their audio out jacks so you're recording good ole .WAVs, but I don't know how realistic sounding they are.

If you decide to accept MIDI eventually, I think you'll find it much easier than you think. It's confusing to get the Device, bank, instrument, all that stuff set up the first time, but once you do it's pretty easy to edit. You don't need any of those programs listed above, so you could try it before you buy anything, but they might make it easier and more productive in the long run. I've never used them, I just used the cakewalk staff view.
    Ognis
    RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/13 11:53:19 (permalink)
    You don't need any of those programs listed above

I've never used them, I just used the cakewalk staff view.

huh ?
    lhansen
    RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/13 11:57:24 (permalink)
    Wow, Information overload here. But, good comments. Well, I just went ahead and ordered EZ Drummer. I figured that this would be a good "starting point" for me. Ya know, like buying your 1st guitar or any instrument for that matter. If I hate it, I haven't broke the bank. On the other hand, if this works well for me, and I get decent at working with this, then up to the next level. The midi drum pads are appealing as well, definitly better than banging on the keyboard. I'm taking baby steps with this one. Thanks again for all the informative suggestions. I know that when I start posting songs with the drum sounds, I'll have plenty of people to "guide" me. ( body-armor strapped on)

Slow Marching Band

Ognis
    RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/13 12:02:55 (permalink)
    The midi drum pads are appealing as well, definitly better than banging on the keyboard.

Whatever works... I hate pads.

Well, I just went ahead and ordered EZ Drummer.

Sorry to hear that. I do wish you the very best of luck.
    ParanoiA
    RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/13 12:29:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ognis

You don't need any of those programs listed above

I've never used them, I just used the cakewalk staff view.

huh ?

Huh what? Those two quotes answer your question perfectly...

If I've never used them, then obviously you don't need them huh?

I was just trying to make the point that he could actually test out whether or not MIDI will work for him, before he spends any money on those programs, that is if he decides to change his mind and give MIDI a shot.
    Ognis
    RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/13 12:43:39 (permalink)
    If I've never used them, then obviously you don't need them huh?

Sorry, I forget that you are God. So Lord, what do you use ? Beatbox into a microphone ?
    droddey
    RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/13 12:59:22 (permalink)
    You definitely shouldn't try to play drums on a keyboard. Get a pad definitely. I'm using the M-Audio Trigger Finger, which is probably the cheapest, least-best one, and it's a huge step up from the keyboard and I can really do realistic playing.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    ParanoiA
    RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/13 12:59:24 (permalink)

Original: Ognis

Sorry, I forget that you are God. So Lord, what do you use ? Beatbox into a microphone ?

Wow, thanks. I've never been referred to as god before...well my mom used to call me goddamnit, but that's a whole 'nother issue...

I think you're misreading me. I think you're under the impression that I'm crapping on these programs, but I'm not in the least. I've never used them, so how would I know if they're any good or not? I don't have an opinion on them at all. So, obviously if I've done MIDI without using those programs...then logic would dictate that I don't need those programs. Just logic - no emotional tone at all.

That's all I was saying dude. That instead of running out and blowing money on this software, that he could try doing some MIDI first and see if it's ok for him. If so, then go out and blow some money on this stuff.

It's always nice if you can test before spending any money. What on earth is wrong with that?
    lhansen
    RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/13 15:31:00 (permalink)
    Obviously, I am a guitar player. It's tough just to find enough time to play & practice the instrument alone. So, I guess I took what I thought, would be the easy way out. Didn't want to start a "bar-fight" here. I had to make a decision here obviously, and have to live with it for a period of time. I didn't regard anyone's opinion, taste, or skills, higher than someone else's. You've seen the forums when someone asks what a good mic for vox would be. You get a slew of responses! Now you have 20-30 different ways to go with this. It could've been worse if I bought "band-in-a-box". Before I can climb that "mountain", I'll walk the beginners hiking-trail, first.

Slow Marching Band

Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/13 15:50:20 (permalink)
    Whatever works... I hate pads.

Sorry to have to contradict you there - if you don't have access to the real thing, tapping a pad is the closest you can get, unless you could point out something inbetween that I'm not aware of. I think a LOT of people find tapping something that comes pretty natural to them, and once they develop a good sense of rhythm by using da proverbial clicktrack, anything goes - the sounds are all accessible, you can comptrack the whole shebang, and getting it perfect is essentially only a few slip-edits and mutes away.

@lhansen+droddey: try the clicktrack generator in Audacity - it's multi-note, and you can just collate a few for a song with tempo changes. Together with the metronome, this works perfect for me, having several clicks that I can concentrate on.

Still need to practice a lot with it, but my 'drumming' has gone up a few notches already in only 2 days. Now I only have to work out the same thing with the guitar, and I've got all the basics together for any song, any complexity - and can set it up in minutes.

I agree with lhansen - you have to walk before you can run, first get all the basics right.

post edited by Roflcopter - 2007/06/13 15:57:00

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    Ognis
    RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/13 16:07:01 (permalink)
    lhansen, I think you'll be happy with EZ.. That was kinda my whole point, it's for guitarist that need an easy alt to having a drummer around.

Roflcopter, I just like using a keyboard better than using a pad. To each his own, and yes, I've used pads before, or I wouldn't of made that comment.. I find pads clumbsy, and annoying. But, that's my opinion....
    droddey
    RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/13 16:18:49 (permalink)
    Most people will find that the amount of travel of keyboard keys doesn't lend itself to the highly percussive nature of drums. It's far easier on a pad where there is no travel, or it's so tiny that it's irrelevant.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: Realistic drum software 2007/06/13 16:30:51 (permalink)
    i'm with ognis, i still wanna know what Paranioa's midi is triggering if it ain't any of the massive drum sample libraries mentioned above...i'm guessing GM??!!!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1