Really struggling with Latency

Author
properbopeep
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2006/07/12 18:50:51 (permalink)

Really struggling with Latency

Dear all

This looks like a great forum - I would appreciate some help please.

I am reasonably new to the process of computer music. I have a new spec PC, with 2GB Ram, a new AMD chip and 200GB+ Hard drive.

Software wise - I am running S5 PE with windows XP.

Hardware - I have a Roland Edirol SC-D70 sound canvas, connected to the PC via USB2.0 cable. I have a Yamaha Electric Piano P-200, functioning both as a proper keyboard and a midi in/out device into the sound canvas.

I have the software set up to have ASIO drivers but I cannot get a satisfactory audio sounds. I have two ways of changing the latency:
1) through windows control panel and directly with the SC-d70 driver
2) through the audio options within S5.

I either have good audio sounds (no pops, hangs or drops) but there is such a major delay between me pressing a key and hearing the sounds, or I have an inperceptable lag in key stoke to noise output but when playing back recorded sounds - get awful distortion, pops and drops.

I am not a techie, and am mainly self taught, so I would be grateful if there is anyone out there who may be able to advise??

Many thanks for your time.

ProperBo

5 Replies Related Threads

OffAnAirplane
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1386
    RE: Really struggling with Latency 2006/07/12 19:21:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: properbopeep

Dear all

I am reasonably new to the process of computer music. I have a new spec PC, with 2GB Ram, a new AMD chip and 200GB+ Hard drive.

Hardware - I have a Roland Edirol SC-D70 sound canvas, connected to the PC via USB2.0 cable. I have a Yamaha Electric Piano P-200, functioning both as a proper keyboard and a midi in/out device into the sound canvas.

I have the software set up to have ASIO drivers but I cannot get a satisfactory audio sounds. I have two ways of changing the latency:

I either have good audio sounds (no pops, hangs or drops) but there is such a major delay between me pressing a key and hearing the sounds, or I have an inperceptable lag in key stoke to noise output but when playing back recorded sounds - get awful distortion, pops and drops.

I am not a techie, and am mainly self taught, so I would be grateful if there is anyone out there who may be able to advise??

ProperBo

Does your keyboard have built in sounds and speakers? If so, you could just listen to that while recording.

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Really struggling with Latency 2006/07/12 19:22:08 (permalink)
    Your computer should be plenty capable of handling a fair number of audio tracks and some effects at low latency. My first guess is that you either have a device problem or some other program(s) running in the background that are interfering. It should be pretty easy to fix.

First off, check out the sonar manual under dropouts-- it has a really good section on dealing with these things.

Make sure you start out trying to solve this problem with simple streams of audio only-- certain software synthesizers and effects can be extremely demanding and may not cooperate with certain systems. Some computers can run 80 instances of one reverb effect but have trouble with one instance of another, for example.

Is the Edirol thing your soundcard, and if so, is it the only audio interface/soundcard connected to the computer? Start off with just one soundcard connected and make sure any other audio devices are disabled in your computer, in case it's the devices that are fighting with each other. You can do this in Start Menu> Control Panel> System> Hardware> Device Manager> Sound, Video, and Game controllers. Just right-click on any soundcards you're not using and disable them (you can easily re-enable them later the same way).

Similarly, disable any programs that are running in the background, such as antivirus, instant messaging, email, media players, etc. These can sometimes be a little tricky to track down, but a good place to start is by right-clicking any icons in the system tray (lower right corner of the desktop) selecting close, exit, or quit or whatever.

Also, defragment the hard disk(s) to make sure that's not the problem (Start menu>all programs>accessories>system tools>disk defragmenter).

Once all that's done, if you still have problems, it'll be a lot easier to troubleshoot, although hopefully it won't get that far. More detailed system specs would be helpful, especially info such as actual CPU, chipset, hard disk speed and size, etc. If you're not sure of this stuff a very handy little utility is Belarc Advisor, which you can download for free and it will spit out a complete rundown on your whole system.

There are two fundamental things that cause dropouts-- one is that system is simply overloaded and either the CPU, the data bus, or the hard disk can't keep up with the incoming audio stream, and the other is that the computer is trying to multitask and some other device or program or process is taking over system resources, like when you're typing something and a popup comes up to tell you you've got mail or whatever. I think you're experiencing the latter, and it's probably just one weird little thing that can be easily remedied if you start from the beginning.

Cheers.

daflory
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Really struggling with Latency 2006/07/24 09:10:48 (permalink)
    I agree that some background process could be causing this problem.

Also make sure the Edirol is not sharing its USB interface with any other devices. Most new MB's have more than one USB bus. Just to be safe, make sure USB 2 is enabled in the BIOS.

Lastly, I have run into situation where the DirectX drivers gave better performance than the ASIO drivers. You might want to try that.

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Really struggling with Latency 2006/07/24 10:46:06 (permalink)

Dear all

ProperBo

If you are not using software synths you don't need to use input monitoring so latency won't be an issue. If your sound card has a software mixer use that to monitor the inputs, if not get a small mixer so you can monitor the keyboard, SC-D70, and the computer all at once without latency.

If you do use a software synth you will be dealing with latency, all you can do is try to get it tuned as low as possible. If you use ASIO you will need to use the ASIO control panel (buffers setting) for your card, if you use WDM you can use the slider in Sonar.
    post edited by ohhey - 2006/07/24 10:57:37
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Really struggling with Latency 2006/07/24 19:36:01 (permalink)

have you tried all the settings on the low end of the latency scale? i've found that for my card and drivers (for whatever reason) if i choose certain latencies everything works great. if i deviate i get what you describe. for example, 3ms is fine but 5ms gives me troubles...

ORIGINAL: ohhey
    if not get a small mixer so you can monitor the keyboard, SC-D70, and the computer all at once without latency.

this is what i do. i have a mackie 1202vlz and it solved several of my problems:

• real-time monitoring (no more latency concerns)
  • monitors + home stereo + headphones without cable swapping (and switch between monitors/headphones and home stereo with one button)
  • "hardware" volume control for monitors + home stereo + headphones
  • all inputs available (guitar, two mics and a pod 2.0) without cable swapping
  • quiet gain for all the above-mentioned instruments

well worth the $300 i paid.

• - jack the ex-cynic
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1