Realtek AC'97 VS. Realtek High Definition Audio

Author
PheonixVaj
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2013/08/14 20:01:43 (permalink)

Realtek AC'97 VS. Realtek High Definition Audio

Sorry, 

Newbie here, hope i got the correct forum.

I got sonar x2 on two separate laptops running on Xp & Vista.

Im having a problem with the recorded audio quality on my laptop which runs on Vista that I recorded from the microphone in Sonar X2 and using the Realtek High Definition Audio. Its worse than than the one running on my xp laptop with Realtek AC'97.
The quality is poor and seems like it has some source of reverb too.
Yes, I turn off all the Enchancetments on my laptop sound options.

As for the Realtek AC'97 running on my Xp, its great. No problem here.

Isn't the Realtek High Defintion Audio suppose to be Better since its called HIGH Defintion ?

How do I go about getting better quality of audio recording in Sonar x2  in my laptop that runs on Vista ?

20 Replies Related Threads

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Realtek AC'97 VS. Realtek High Definition Audio 2013/08/15 06:33:02 (permalink)
    I can't hear any difference, everything is marketed as "HD" nowadays.  There is a difference in the control interface.  e.g. on desktops, if you have the HD Audio interface connection you have jack sensing.  With the older AC97 the jack sensing is not there.  Depending on your PC, that is probably the case with the Laptop too. 

PC audio systems are traditionally poor for high quality recordings.  They also tend to have high latency.  Your best bet option is to get a separate USB connected recording interface unit.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Realtek AC'97 VS. Realtek High Definition Audio 2013/08/15 08:02:10 (permalink)
    Get a real interface if you plan on doing music.  A usb interface as fireberd says is a good way to be able to use both your computers.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Realtek AC'97 VS. Realtek High Definition Audio 2013/08/15 08:18:45 (permalink)
    Neither of them are any good. Any factory soundcard, usually the cheapest audio chip they can buy in bulk gets used.

The factory sound chips are not good for serious recording of the nature capable with Cakewalk. They tend to use the substandard audio drivers and can not process fast enough for a quality performance.

As was suggested, a nice USB based external professional level music interface which uses "native" ASIO drivers will allow Sonar to perform to the levels it is designed to perform. Look at M-Audio, Focusrite, Roland, and Presonus (among many others) to get it done right. Expect to pay between $100 on the very low bare bones end to $300 for a decent interface.

Look at what the people here use.... listen to their music, and then buy what you need after you research it a bit so you know what to buy. 

BTW: Soundblaster is not an upgrade from Realtek.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    PheonixVaj
    Re: Realtek AC'97 VS. Realtek High Definition Audio 2013/08/15 08:46:52 (permalink)
    Hmmm,

I think you, all, misunderstood what I was trying to explain.
    Let me try again :D

What I was trying to say is that...

Isn't the Realtek HD Audio suppose to sound better or at least the same, that runs on my NEWER Laptop with windows Vista ?
    Because the Realtek AC'97 which I'm using in my old windows xp laptop sounds GREAT.

I rather use my Newer Laptop that runs Vista with the HD card because it has more harddrive space and faster, but unforunately, the audio recording quality is really poor.

It can't be my setup coz i have the same setup on my older, slower laptop that runs on windows xp and there, the quality is GREAT!

BTW: Both laptops are Sony Vaio

PheonixVaj
    Re: Realtek AC'97 VS. Realtek High Definition Audio 2013/08/15 08:53:47 (permalink)
    OH Yeah,

I also like to add that I also got a Home PC that i builted for video/audio/home recording.

I just rather use my laptops coz its convinence and its everywhere i go :D
    its like a portable recording studio.

musicroom
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2421
    Re: Realtek AC'97 VS. Realtek High Definition Audio 2013/08/15 09:14:30 (permalink)
    I think we do understand. What the feedback here might be in summarized fashion is this: the onboard realtek audio chips are not of high quality. With you experiencing inconsistent performance, none of us are surprised. The realtek chips work fine for what they are designed to do, play back audio files. They offer recording options but as you are seeing, they don't always work as advertised. 

If you are in a position to get a decent usb interface, then you could use that interface on all three of your computers if you wanted to. For instance, the Focusrite 2i2 for around $150 seems to be one that gets a lot of recommendations. The presonus 22vsl ranks higher on the recommended list by some major pc daw builders. M-audio m-box units can be found on ebay for under 100 right now. ----> I don't have any of these cards, so I would suggest reading user's experience before buying one. Any of these should be a giant step in the direction of better quality vs the realtek. 

Dave
    Songs

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Realtek AC'97 VS. Realtek High Definition Audio 2013/08/15 09:17:12 (permalink)
    There can be differences in the chips used, because one is newer does not make it better.  Its whatever the hardware vendor used and what features the vendor incorporated in their audio system. 

The "HD" is basically a marketing ploy, not a real indication of how good it is.

But, in the end, a separate USB interface will be needed for "quality" recording.  There are several relatively inexpensive ($150 US range) USB devices with two channels.  That is what you should be seriously considering.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Realtek AC'97 VS. Realtek High Definition Audio 2013/08/15 10:06:24 (permalink)
    realtek = headache.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

SuperG
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1371
    Re: Realtek AC'97 VS. Realtek High Definition Audio 2013/08/15 10:11:22 (permalink)
    Hmmm...

The issues with the Realtek, and just about any on-board audio device, even PCI card sound gear, is that they are horribly suspect to internal noise generated within a PC. As to Realtek, they use the HD moniker because they are shipping WaveRT drivers, and they allow 192K sampling. They are still 16 bits though. Some of their products have really good specs, DACs with greater than 110db SNR, but the PC environment just kills it.

I'd say that Realtek is ok for playback, but I would never recommend using the line-in for recording. If you want to record without purchasing an outboard interface, a decent USB microphone will do the trick.

laudem Deo
    Goddard
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 338
    Re: Realtek AC'97 VS. Realtek High Definition Audio 2013/08/15 11:46:54 (permalink)
    So much cluelessness and  misinformation in this thread.

The "High Definition Audio" (HDA) designation is not just some meaningless marketing ploy. It's actually a logo certification program by MS under which PC audio systems must meet rather rigorous technical requirements subject to testing per relevant AES specs using Audio Precision hardware and software (just like most high-end audio equipment manufacturers use).

For example, see:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff563343%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

One component of the onboard HDA solution is implemented in the chipset (i.e., "Intel HD Audio") which receives and transmits serial digital audio data streams to/from a codec chip (typically a Realtek or VIA audio codec chip) which among other things handles necessary ADC and DAC duties as well as analog and digital processing. The typical HDA codec chips are capable of handling multi-channel 192kHz/24-bit streaming I/O, so actually quite technically advanced little chips with quite decent audio performance. Also, as part of HDA certification requirements, MS has required that HDA codecs be supported with low-latency/low cpu-load WaveRT drivers.

That said, motherboard and system manufacturers may not take necessary care to assure clean noise-free audio performance in their products, or even if they do, there can be other factors such as noisy power supplies and laptop power adapters as well as power regulation and cooling fan controls which impact negatively upon audio quality.

Now as for why the OP's older AC97 version onboard audio sounds better than the OP's newer HDA onboard audio, dunno. Maybe ithere is an HDA driver issue, which an updated driver will resolve. Or maybe it's due to some vendor-installed audio mixer/fx crap.  Or possibly it's just a crappy newer laptop. Or perhaps there is a gound loop problem occurring with the newer laptop's power adapter (in which case, it would likely also affect an external audio interface when connected to the laptop).

Point being, it may well have absolutely nothing to do with the differences between AC97 and HDA.

Lots of possible causes, and yet it seems the prevailing clueless advice has been to dismiss onboard audio as crap and insist the OP spend for an interface, along with spreading a bit more misinfo around.

Oh my, the mindset around here is truly an audio interface vendor's dream come true.
    SuperG
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1371
    Re: Realtek AC'97 VS. Realtek High Definition Audio 2013/08/15 13:00:32 (permalink)
    Speaking of cluelessness,

It's highly unlikely a driver will any effect on how something 'sounds', barring dropouts, and mixer effects. It's almost always the analog circuitry.

laudem Deo
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Realtek AC'97 VS. Realtek High Definition Audio 2013/08/15 13:40:48 (permalink)
    It's entirely possible that the two cards sound different, but it would be because of the analog components, not whether it complies with the HD standard (which only means it supports higher sample rates for surround sound), nor the quality of the driver. Something as small as the line input impedance could make an audible difference when recording. Crosstalk and distortion could vary from one model to the next, affecting all playback. Pushing passive speakers means the final amplifiers have to be able to deliver power uniformly on peaks and sustained high volume, so the design of the output section has a big impact.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Goddard
    Re: Realtek AC'97 VS. Realtek High Definition Audio 2013/08/15 15:52:15 (permalink)
    PheonixVaj, what is your Vista laptop model (the one with Realtek HDA codec)?

What recording equipment are you using? You mentioned using a microphone. What microphone, and how is it connected? Are you just using your laptop's built-in microphone?

If you can give more information about your Vista laptop and your recording setup, perhaps you can get more specific help (besides advice to get an audio interface).

musicroom
    Re: Realtek AC'97 VS. Realtek High Definition Audio 2013/08/15 22:59:40 (permalink)
    Goddard
    So much cluelessness and  misinformation in this thread.

That said, motherboard and system manufacturers may not take necessary care to assure clean noise-free audio performance in their products, or even if they do, there can be other factors such as noisy power supplies and laptop power adapters as well as power regulation and cooling fan controls which impact negatively upon audio quality.

So your wise suggestion would be for the struggling OP to stick with the realtek. ?? Interesting. I take it you use one and swear by it. Didn't think so. It appears us clueless ones with a touch of experience might just have a helpful suggestion.

Carry on. 

Dave
    Songs

Goddard
    Re: Realtek AC'97 VS. Realtek High Definition Audio 2013/08/16 01:24:45 (permalink)
    musicroom
    So your wise suggestion would be for the struggling OP to stick with the realtek. ?? Interesting. I take it you use one and swear by it. Didn't think so. It appears us clueless ones with a touch of experience might just have a helpful suggestion.

Maybe the OP's Vista laptop's onboard Realtek HDA can be made to work satisfactorily, dunno. Might be more helpful to first investigate into what the cause of the OP's problem might be, before automatically telling the OP they should get an external interface.

And yes, as a matter of fact I have used various onboard Realtek HDA codecs on a number of different computers and found that they can perform quite satisfactorily, particularly for playback duty, and have found their S/PDIF capabilities especially useful.

I've also found that onboard audio can perform with very low latency and loading. Which I suppose is not really that surprising considering that an onboard HDA audio solution (chipset Intel HDA component + associated HDA codec chip) is essentially a PCI/PCIe audio interface.

Perhaps you failed to notice where the OP had stated:

PheonixVajAs for the Realtek AC'97 running on my Xp, its great. No problem here.

It's very easy to tell someone they need to get a new interface. Makes it appear like you are knowledgeable/experienced, and doubtless others will echo along (possibly for the very same reason).

Isn't it curious how, whenever someone asks about a problem they're having with their computer's onboard audio, nobody even bothers to ask them about their computer or audio setup?
    post edited by Goddard - 2013/08/16 01:28:04
    PheonixVaj
    Re: Realtek AC'97 VS. Realtek High Definition Audio 2013/08/16 03:56:27 (permalink)
    Goddard
    PheonixVaj, what is your Vista laptop model (the one with Realtek HDA codec)?

What recording equipment are you using? You mentioned using a microphone. What microphone, and how is it connected? Are you just using your laptop's built-in microphone?

If you can give more information about your Vista laptop and your recording setup, perhaps you can get more specific help (besides advice to get an audio interface).

Goddard,

The Laptop I'm having problem with is:
    Sony Vaio
    Model: VGN- CR240E
    Soundcard: Realtek HD Audio
    -----------------------
    My old laptop is: Sony Vaio 
    Model: VGN-A270P
    Soundcard: Realtek AC'97

-This laptop is slower, but audio recording is great or shall I say satisfactory :D
     Good enough for a laptop.

And YES, I just connect a microphone straight to the laptop's MIC Input.
    and definitely not the MIC's problem coz im using the same mic on the older laptop and its fine.
    No problem there. I like to travel light and simple :D
    post edited by PheonixVaj - 2013/08/16 03:59:02
    PheonixVaj
    Re: Realtek AC'97 VS. Realtek High Definition Audio 2013/08/16 04:11:49 (permalink)
    As an update,

Today I found one of my old external soundcard; Turtle Beach AudioAdvantage SRM
    I tried recording with it, audio is good (much better than the internal soundcard), but it only sends out MONO signal;
    Exmaple: Sonar stereo track, but the Turtle Beach AudioAdvantage SRM only sends out mono signal so it only records on the left side, which is fine, i can always convert it to stereo, 
    but then it has some low buzzing sound and all audio sits above the center line, so...... forget it, let me just give up. Hehehe :P

I guess I better just save up for a new laptop

-

Thanks to everyone
    FOR YOUR HELP/ADVICE/SUGGESTION/support/ETC.
    musicroom
    Re: Realtek AC'97 VS. Realtek High Definition Audio 2013/08/16 08:49:28 (permalink)
    Goddard
    musicroom

Maybe the OP's Vista laptop's onboard Realtek HDA can be made to work satisfactorily, dunno. Might be more helpful to first investigate into what the cause of the OP's problem might be, before automatically telling the OP they should get an external interface.

And yes, as a matter of fact I have used various onboard Realtek HDA codecs on a number of different computers and found that they can perform quite satisfactorily, particularly for playback duty, and have found their S/PDIF capabilities especially useful.

I've also found that onboard audio can perform with very low latency and loading. Which I suppose is not really that surprising considering that an onboard HDA audio solution (chipset Intel HDA component + associated HDA codec chip) is essentially a PCI/PCIe audio interface.

Perhaps you failed to notice where the OP had stated:

PheonixVajAs for the Realtek AC'97 running on my Xp, its great. No problem here.

It's very easy to tell someone they need to get a new interface. Makes it appear like you are knowledgeable/experienced, and doubtless others will echo along (possibly for the very same reason).

Isn't it curious how, whenever someone asks about a problem they're having with their computer's onboard audio, nobody even bothers to ask them about their computer or audio setup?

Why don't we do this, you make your suggestions and leave your negative opinions of other poster's suggestions out of your statements. Maybe then we can "all" help everyone the best we can with what we know without any other agenda.

Carry on

Dave
    Songs

Goddard
    Re: Realtek AC'97 VS. Realtek High Definition Audio 2013/08/16 12:32:04 (permalink)
    PheonixVaj

The Laptop I'm having problem with is:
    Sony Vaio
    Model: VGN- CR240E
    Soundcard: Realtek HD Audio
    -----------------------
    My old laptop is: Sony Vaio 
    Model: VGN-A270P
    Soundcard: Realtek AC'97

-This laptop is slower, but audio recording is great or shall I say satisfactory :D
     Good enough for a laptop.

And YES, I just connect a microphone straight to the laptop's MIC Input.
    and definitely not the MIC's problem coz im using the same mic on the older laptop and its fine.
    No problem there. I like to travel light and simple :D

I meant to ask, whether you have any audio problems with your Vista laptop when  using other software (such as Windows media player), or is the audio bad only when using Sonar?

Meanwhile, first thing you might try is to download and install the latest HDA codec driver package from Realtek:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

I assume you have the latest Vista service pack already installed, but you might also check Windows Update for any relevant MS updates, especially any for your system chipset and any which specifically refer to "Intel HDA".

Also, if possible turn off or disable any Sony-provided audio enhancement (surround sound fx) software, which I suspect might be the cause of the reverb-like sound, especailly if you are listening through your laptop's speakers.

Another thing to check is the setting for your laptop's mic input (in Windows audio control panel and/or the Realtek sound utility), for whether any "boost" or fx is enabled (ys, I know you said you had enhancements turned off, but check the mic input setup anyway).

And also, check the audio quality when recording with the built-in Windows sound recorder applet or the free Audacity program, or when playing an audio CD.

I assume you have been using Sonar with the audio driver mode set to Windows mode, so you should try using the Realtek WaveRT driver. You can also download and install the free ASIO4ALL wrapper which will allow you to use the Realtek WaveRT driver (appearing as an ASIO driver) with Sonar in ASIO driver mode, to find whether one driver mode works better for you.

post edited by Goddard - 2013/08/16 12:33:18
    Goddard
    Re: Realtek AC'97 VS. Realtek High Definition Audio 2013/08/16 12:41:34 (permalink)
    PheonixVaj
    As an update,

Today I found one of my old external soundcard; Turtle Beach AudioAdvantage SRM
    I tried recording with it, audio is good (much better than the internal soundcard), but it only sends out MONO signal;
    Exmaple: Sonar stereo track, but the Turtle Beach AudioAdvantage SRM only sends out mono signal so it only records on the left side, which is fine, i can always convert it to stereo, 
    but then it has some low buzzing sound and all audio sits above the center line, so...... forget it, let me just give up. Hehehe :P

I guess I better just save up for a new laptop

-

Thanks to everyone
    FOR YOUR HELP/ADVICE/SUGGESTION/support/ETC.

Did the TB AA SRM souncard's inputs/outputs appear as stereo inputs/outputs in Sonar?

Possibly a driver issue, rather than a problem with your laptop. Might be worthwhile seeking a newer driver version.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1