Helpful ReplyReaper/ XLN VST location question - SOLVED!!!

Author
rspagnuolo
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 103
2018/01/03 03:47:23 (permalink)

Reaper/ XLN VST location question - SOLVED!!!

Hello fellow Sonarians,
I'm hoping that some of us are looking at Reaper and might have solved this question already.
I'm checking it out and can't get it to see the XLN Addictive Keys that I want to try out. The file is not called a DLL extension, but rather a resource or similar. I learned what to do with a DLL file but not this.
I've searched for "addictive drums and vst" in this forum and in the Reaper forums with no luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks
Ray
post edited by rspagnuolo - 2018/01/06 21:52:46

Ray (aka Oluon)
Bflat5
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 421
Re: Reaper/ XLN VST location question 2018/01/03 03:50:14 (permalink)
No clue about Reaper... Yet. But you may want to make sure Addictive Keys is authorized in the XLN installer. Especially if you're using Win10.

Then make sure you have the plugin path for correct in Reaper.

Custom PC running Windows 10 64, i7 CPU, 32gigs of RAM, Focusrite 18i20, Sonar Platinum.

Jackson USA and Custom Shop Guitars and Basses
Takamine And Fender Acoustics
Marshall JVM 410H and JCM 800
BOSS FX (Mostly)
Gain Junkies Forum << Come join us. It's all about Rock & Roll!
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Reaper/ XLN VST location question 2018/01/03 04:03:38 (permalink)
rspagnuolo
The file is not called a DLL extension, but rather a resource or similar. I learned what to do with a DLL file but not this.

Then it is not an XLN VST plug-in but some other support file. ALL XLN VST plug-ins are dlls
JohnEgan
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 543
Re: Reaper/ XLN VST location question 2018/01/03 10:46:53 (permalink)
Good Day,

Ive been checking out Reaper, while Im not sure your problem, I can say my Addictive Keys is working normally as is Addictive Drums 2, without doing anything but installing Reaper, as are all my other VSTi, and VST`s. Also they probably have a video tutorial to help you out. Otherwise Im finding Reaper, price aside, the easiest for me to adapt to, mainly at this point because I can easily configure most GUI layouts and all keystrokes to those Im familiar with, I haven't gone too in-depth as of yet. 2 month trial time also, but at $60, Ill likely get it as 1st standby, and although Im not sure how, it can apparently somehow also work within other DAW`s  like a plugin.
Hope you can solve your issue.

Cheers.

John Egan
Sonar Platinum (2017-10),RME-UFX, PC-CPU - i7-5820, 3.3 GHz, 6 core, ASUS X99-AII, 16GB ram, GTX 960, 500 GB SSD, 2TB HDD x 2, Win7 Pro x64,  O8N2 Advanced, Melodyne Studio,.... (2 cats :(,  in the yard).

TheMaartian
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2774
Re: Reaper/ XLN VST location question 2018/01/03 13:58:15 (permalink)
JohnEgan
although Im not sure how, it can apparently somehow also work within other DAW`s  like a plugin.

The method is called "ReWire". It's been implemented by quite a few apps. Here's one example.

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
JohnEgan
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 543
Re: Reaper/ XLN VST location question 2018/01/03 16:11:53 (permalink)
TheMaartian
The method is called "ReWire". It's been implemented by quite a few apps. Here's one example.

K thanks, understand rewire function more or less, but I guess I misunderstood something about Reaper itself, in any case if Addictive Keys is activated at XLN it works fine in Reaper, maybe need to scan VST's.

John Egan
Sonar Platinum (2017-10),RME-UFX, PC-CPU - i7-5820, 3.3 GHz, 6 core, ASUS X99-AII, 16GB ram, GTX 960, 500 GB SSD, 2TB HDD x 2, Win7 Pro x64,  O8N2 Advanced, Melodyne Studio,.... (2 cats :(,  in the yard).

JohnKenn
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1659
Re: Reaper/ XLN VST location question 2018/01/03 18:06:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby TheMaartian 2018/01/03 20:18:29
Ray,
Check also the vst ini file in Reaper. This is extremely important to become familiar with, what it means and how to work it. I had an old XP box that ran Addictive in Reaper with no problem, and remember the program as having it's dll file.

Sometimes in Reaper, there will be a glitch due to a time lag between scanning a new vst in an unauthorized state needing online activation. Time between initial scan and the activation step next can cause the program not to show up.

Reaper tries to protect itself by seeing a vst that doesn't work by blacklisting it. Doesn't happen often, but can occur.

You can do a "clear cache and rescan" to fix the problem, but rewriting the ini file is way quicker and just identifies and restarts the scan on the problem plug. Here's how it works. I keep a shortcut to these files on the desktop.

Should be in the user's app data, Roaming, Reaper folder.

You are looking for the reaper-vstplugins. ini  or the reaper-plugins64.ini file

Double click on either one to open in notepad or your text editor.

Note that all the vst's and vsti's are there with their data line...name of the dll followed by a bunch of numbers. Important...followed by a comma and then the name of the plug. These lines are added in sequence, so that if one plug fails as the last one you installed, it will be the last line in the file. If earlier, search for the plug earlier in the list.

IF the plug has the vst/numbers/comma/name structure, it is good with Reaper. You can also see the name of the plug which can help with weird names that you can't find. Here you can also change the name of the plug to anything you want.

IF you get the dll name and numbers only, it means that Reaper has blacklisted the plug and it will never work right.

Solution is to delete the line, save the file and reopen Reaper. It will automatically rescan the plugs and give the failed plug another chance to get authorized. 

This could be the problem with Addictive. If so the above method will fix it.

John

(edit)  Should mention the obvious. The vst path has to be set in Reaper preferences to where the dll is. Also, a good method for a new plug with a standalone operation is to open and authorize the standalone first. In nearly all cases, the vst is then authorized in Reaper

(edit again) Saw you mentioned the Addictive Keys. Is this a Sonar only version? If so, not much that can be done to open in any other DAW (worst case scenario).
TheMaartian
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2774
Re: Reaper/ XLN VST location question 2018/01/03 20:27:07 (permalink)
Good info, John.

I believe that the Addictive Keys that came with SONAR was always open (registered through XLN). I already owned a license when I bought SPlat, so not 100% certain.

In any case, AD2 and AK authorization includes the OS ID generated when Windows is installed or gets a major update (like 1611, 1703 and 1709). Both need to be reauthorized via their Windows app. And that process could be better. 2 PCs permitted. I haven't yet found a way to edit an existing one, so you need to do the not-so-obvious step of deleting the second authorized PC (don't need to do this the first reauthorization after install, just succeeding ones) and creating a new one (a new name). Goofy. And they haven't released a new keyboard in years. Seems like abandonware while they work on other products.

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 317
Re: Reaper/ XLN VST location question 2018/01/03 20:36:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rspagnuolo 2018/01/05 19:52:02
XLN Addictive Keys says on their web site that the Windows install is a VSTi.

All you need to do to get REAPER to see it, is first figure out where you installed the VST plugin. If you don't know, install it again, and it will likely give you chance to put it in any folder you want. Lots of installers automatically will set

"C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins" or "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2" or "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3"

as the default location. Once you determine where the VST got placed, then all you need to do is to make sure that you have that path set in REAPER under "Options|Preferences|VST|VST Plugin Paths". If the path to where XLN Addictive Keys isn't listed, click the add button and navigate out to where it is. Once you have the correct path set, click the Re-Scan button and it should find the new plugin.

Glennbo
---------------------------------------------------------
http://soundclick.com/glennbo

rspagnuolo
Re: Reaper/ XLN VST location question 2018/01/04 18:32:59 (permalink)
Thanks for the info.
I had a hard time finding the roaming folder and when I finally did find it, their were three lines that, did not have the complete info. Two of the lines gave no hint as to their identity. (The other had the word Vinyl in the name.)

I deleted them and restarted Reaper a few times and rescanned a few times but the Addictve Keys still isn't showing up.
Also, a Tal-noisemaker free plug-in, which I've seen installed in the Reaper video, "First Midi Song in Reaper" part 1) (by Kenny Gioia) isn't showing up either.
Is there something else I can do?

In spite of these initial difficulties, I think I will stick with Reaper, because I'm sure this is all operator error due to this confused operator!!! LOL!

Ray (aka Oluon)
JohnKenn
Re: Reaper/ XLN VST location question 2018/01/04 19:02:23 (permalink)
Ray,

All the TAL plugs have worked for me in Reaper. My thought is that it either caused a blacklist or the dll is in a location Reaper doesn't point to.
You can open the ini file and word search for TAL, which should bring up any of the TAL plugins and show their status of good or bad. You can also go thru the entire file and delete every line without the comma and name after the numbers. Save the file and restart. This more housekeeping than anything because then all of the blacklisted plugs will be moved to the bottom of the file if they are still on your computer. Some may get a second life with a restart.
You can also move the TAL dll to a specific spot and tell Reaper to scan that location. The result for good or bad will show up as last line in the file if it is not already registered somewhere in the ini file. This function is something I always missed in Sonar.

What Sonar had that I miss in Reaper is the simple ability to view the location of any plugin.
I'll check noisemaker and the keys to see what is happening and report back.

John
JohnKenn
Re: Reaper/ XLN VST location question 2018/01/04 20:49:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rspagnuolo 2018/01/06 22:43:02
Hey Ray,

Installed TAL Noisemaker 64 bit in Reaper 64 bit 5.x.
It works fine.
This is the added last new line in the reaper-vstplugins64.ini file

TAL_NoiseMaker_64.dll=002229666BAAD201,1852011892,TAL NoiseMaker Plugin (TAL-Togu Audio Line)!!!VSTi

A failed plugin will have the name of the dll = and a series of numbers only. Means Reaper has recognized but blacklisted. Following is an example of a blacklisted plug

HoRNetDeeLayPlus.vst3=E930CA188A13D301.

The TAL line with a name after shows it is good to go. Note that the name on the end can be changed to anything you want and that's how it will show up. Only don't alter the !!!VSTI end that comes up in some plugs. It will scramble the name.

I'm thinking that TAL is somewhere hidden from Reaper. Set any paths in Reaper's Preferences> VST> Add.
Rescan and TAL should be available.

Will look at the Addictive keys.

John
JohnKenn
Re: Reaper/ XLN VST location question 2018/01/04 22:37:25 (permalink)
Getting back with the Addictive Keys vsti.

Installed and working solid in Reaper. Fast load.
reaper-vstplugins64.ini new last line is:

Addictive_Keys.dll=91BB7B92AA85D301,2019639627,Addictive Keys (XLN Audio)!!!VSTi

Problem has got to be with registering Reaper's vst folders. Addictive dll 64 bit vsti installs to C:\ProgramFiles\Steinberg\VstPlugins. Make sure this path is selected in the Reaper preferences and you should be up and running. Would imagine that if the 32 bit version, it will be in the Program Files (86) location.

John

(edited because I screwed up the correct path to the keys dll...sorry...) Also to add that renaming vst's can be easily done from within the program. Alters the ini files as if you had manually edited, so you never have to deal with the file. I prefer the ini file because of the useful information it reveals and the control it allows. For years have also compared the Sonar vs Reaper style of handling and organizing the vst tree presentation. Reaper was always many steps ahead, and guess for now, always will be.
post edited by JohnKenn - 2018/01/04 23:40:15
rspagnuolo
Re: Reaper/ XLN VST location question 2018/01/05 18:53:19 (permalink)
Hi Jon,

Great info. I'll go to work and see what I get.

Thank you,
Ray

Ray (aka Oluon)
rspagnuolo
Re: Reaper/ XLN VST location question 2018/01/05 19:25:43 (permalink)
Hi JohnKen!
Still no good. Maybe because this is the free demo version? It could be that XLN hasn't kept things up to date?

Any way, this is what I did:
I told the XLN Installer to install in the Steinberg VSt location.
Here is the path that resulted: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins\XLN Audio\Addictive Keys\Sound Data\AKIP0001DEMO.

The actual file in the AKIP0001DEMO folder is called StGrand_Sound_Free.
The properties via right-click are: Type of File: "XLN Audio resource file (.xpak)"
Opens with: "Unknown Application"

I'm trying the TAl synth next.

Ray

Ray (aka Oluon)
rspagnuolo
Re: Reaper/ XLN VST location question 2018/01/05 19:57:20 (permalink)
Hi,
The Tal synth successfully installed.
Unless some new info turns up, I'm giving up on AK the free demo.

Do you know anything about RAR files?
There is a PIANO ONE plug that the Midi video (Reaper; by Kenny Gioia) suggested.
I had a problem with that one, because it is a RAR file and the instructions on installation were vague.
I think I saw that WinZip can open it. I'm going to see if I can try that.

Ray

Ray (aka Oluon)
JohnKenn
Re: Reaper/ XLN VST location question 2018/01/05 20:14:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rspagnuolo 2018/01/06 22:41:19
Ray,
The Addictive keys I installed was also the demo. Search and check for the actual location of the Addictive keys.dll. You might have overshot the location by going too deep in the path into the data files. Reaper will scan sub folders for the dll, so you should be able to aim Reaper back down to Steinberg/Vst Plugins and pick up the dll downstream.

As I remember from Ken's rar files, you don't have to actually install them. Unpack the rar files and look into the data folder. His "Reaper Explained" series has an installation for G Player to view the files. The tutorials are just mp4 and can be played without G Player. These are for sure some excellent videos.

John

saw you were talking about the piano, not the tutorials. Winzip should open the file, just not able write to it. Winrar is the guardian of creating or altering Rar files. Shareware demo at:

https://www.win-rar.com/start.html?&L=0
rspagnuolo
Re: Reaper/ XLN VST location question 2018/01/06 03:34:51 (permalink)
Hi again, JohnKen (Hey, that rhymes!),
 I just opened Sonar and the Addictive Keys was available. You mentioned that Sonar shows the location of the plug-in. I'll search for that., but if you can post it here in case I can't find it, I'd be thankful

Also,  I just wanted, for Piano One) to open the RAR file, because then I expect to find the dll file and then I would copy that to the Steinberg VST plugin file so that Reaper will see it.

If I can get Addictive Keys to work, I won't need Piano One.
Ray

Ray (aka Oluon)
subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
Re: Reaper/ XLN VST location question 2018/01/06 13:25:14 (permalink)
rspagnuolo
due to this confused operator!!! LOL!

Confused Operator sounds like a Weird Al parody song:

'Cause you're a Confused Operator... Confused... Operator...

Now that I think of it, Smooth Operator has always confused me, especially the part where she says "Coast to coast, LA to Chicago" - last time I checked Chicago was not on any coast. Yes, it's on a big lake, but that's not quite the same thing. 

More to the point... Addictive Keys demo is working perfectly here in Reaper (and the piano sounds pretty good!). Mine is installed in Program Files -> VSTPlugins, but that's because I'm pretty obsessive about paths when I'm installing plugins and that's my default for 64-bit VST2, so with the exception of the things Cakewalk puts in its own folder that's pretty much where everything ends up.

If you can locate your Addictive Keys.dll and make sure that its path is listed in Reaper's VST Preferences, and it's not blacklisted as per above, then there is no reason it should not show up. Those are really the only factors. 
post edited by subtlearts - 2018/01/06 14:54:10

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
rspagnuolo
Re: Reaper/ XLN VST location question 2018/01/06 21:52:19 (permalink)
Solved!

I decided that I should re-install the installer, as suggested in another thread I came across while trying to solve this issue. I thought that maybe this installer would behave differently since it wasn't associated with Cakewalk? (I obviously don't know what I am saying, right! LOL!)
I then chose The Addictive Keys, went to advanced tab and changed the install location to default. (C:\ProgramData\XLN Audio\Addictive Keys\Sound Data).
I then copied that location to Reapers VST plug-in settings and - Bingo! - It is there in all it's piano-demo-forever glory!

Many, many, many heartfelt thanks to JohnKenn, et.al. for all the info. I am certainly pasting a lot of it to my SONAR/ REAPER/ DAW (and now dll) Pearls folder!!!

Ray

Ray (aka Oluon)
JohnKenn
Re: Reaper/ XLN VST location question 2018/01/06 22:55:21 (permalink)
You're welcome Ray. So good that you are up and running.  Rather steep learning curve with Reaper. Takes awhile for it to start making sense, but entirely worth the effort.
John
rspagnuolo
Re: Reaper/ XLN VST location question 2018/01/07 22:00:55 (permalink)
Hi John
The one thing that had me enthused about Reaper is that there are many videos to help with getting up to speed.

It's a shame about Cakewalk, but, alas, I'm moving on. I don't want the risk of being in the middle of a project of many hours with a DAW that has stopped working and is without any hope of having it fixed by tech support. 
(although, this forum is a great resource).

Good luck.
Ray

Ray (aka Oluon)
JohnKenn
Re: Reaper/ XLN VST location question 2018/01/08 01:07:57 (permalink)
Thank you Ray,

One anomaly about Reaper is how the currently bloated 11 MB installer for 64 bit delivers such a solid, killer powerhouse of control over the audio and midi landscape. The thing installs bare bones in less than a minute. Cold and efficient.

My fanboy perspective is that nothing out there is more stable and dependable, and yes, I've tried them all except the Bitwig program.

Interesting part of Reaper is that it comes with about nothing vst or vsti except for a small, severely powerful suite of stock plugs vst/vsti programs that either do what the pro stuff does, or does what the pro stuff cannot for any price. Uh...the included vsti ReaSynth could use some love though... Not my favorite synth...

The vast majority of included plugins stock are the JS extensions. Crazy bunch of effects and utilities that are all over the map. Personally find the majority of them to have no use at all. As in I don't fire up Reaper and head to the JS menu to grab an effect.

However, if you are a geek. Can double click on the JS plug, like a flanger or delay. Brings up the text editor and you are in the driver's chair to create your own derivation by playing with a few lines of text. You have just created a plugin that nobody else has.

So sorry to see Sonar go down. Was my second favorite DAW.

John

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1