Helpful ReplyReaper is an awsome DAW "PERIOD" License $60

Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 8 of 10
Author
Skyline_UK
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/10 20:53:45 (permalink)
One thing a can't get used to is not having Sonar's Shift+F to zoom everything to project. It may be my tidiness OCD, but in Sonar I frequently Shift+F to tidy up.  Oddly, Reaper has umpteen uselss Zoom commands, as does the RWS extensions, but nothing as simple as good old Shift+F!

My stuff

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB RAM.
OS & Programs drive: 240GB SSD
Data drives: 1 x 1TB drive RAID mirrored, plus extra 1TB data drive 
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Cakewalk by BandLab 64 bit, Studio One 3, 
Band In A Box 2016, Ozone 8
+ too many other plugins
BandLab page
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 317
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/10 21:30:06 (permalink)
Skyline_UK
One thing a can't get used to is not having Sonar's Shift+F to zoom everything to project. It may be my tidiness OCD, but in Sonar I frequently Shift+F to tidy up.  Oddly, Reaper has umpteen uselss Zoom commands, as does the RWS extensions, but nothing as simple as good old Shift+F!

Have you posted a question with maybe a screen shot of what you are after, over in the REAPER group?  Like maybe a before Shift+F and an after Shift+F so it is crystal clear what you are trying to achieve. I use static track view on top, mixer on bottom, so I wouldn't know what to tell you even if I saw before and after shots, but other folks in the REAPER group use a lot of things that I don't use, like screen sets, which REAPER has, but I couldn't even begin to tell you where those are, or how they work without looking it up somewhere.  Well dammit, now you made me go look!!!

I still don't know if this is what you are looking for, but searching for "zoom to" in the user guide hit this.

Zoom Out to entire project length - Ctrl PageDown

Glennbo
---------------------------------------------------------
http://soundclick.com/glennbo

Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/10 21:48:30 (permalink)

Thanks for the comparison info.  I've accumulated many plugins over the last years, especially synths/instruments which are my main interest, so Reaper looks good if it's solid as it's being portrayed, and there isn't that much of Sonar that it can't do.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/10 23:06:34 (permalink)
Paul P

The 60$ price tag is way below the competition's regular price.  Why ?  Put another way, if Reaper is so great and so cheap, why consider Studio 1, Cubase, etc. at all ?

There are multiple reasons:

1) $60 is the price always quoted buy $250 is the price for those actually making a living with their DAW. Sure, you could lie. Hell, you could even skip the 60 if you wanted, but assuming the person is honest, crossgrades to other products with more features may be the same or less.

2) Ease of use. I heavily considered Reaper for a studio i built for kids and it was beyond frustrating for kids i tested on.

I honestly think Reaper is best deal going for someone willing to invest time and has money for plugins
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/10 23:22:35 (permalink)
dubdisciple
Paul P

The 60$ price tag is way below the competition's regular price.  Why ?  Put another way, if Reaper is so great and so cheap, why consider Studio 1, Cubase, etc. at all ?

There are multiple reasons:

1) $60 is the price always quoted buy $250 is the price for those actually making a living with their DAW. Sure, you could lie. Hell, you could even skip the 60 if you wanted, but assuming the person is honest, crossgrades to other products with more features may be the same or less.

2) Ease of use. I heavily considered Reaper for a studio i built for kids and it was beyond frustrating for kids i tested on.

I honestly think Reaper is best deal going for someone willing to invest time and has money for plugins

One qualification in the above. You only are required to pay $250 for REAPER if you are using it commercially, *AND* grossing more than $20,000.00 per year doing it.

If you are using REAPER commercially and grossing $19,999.99 per year, it is 100% legal for you to buy the cheaper $60 license, and I'd bet there are a lot of project studios earning less than twenty grand per year gross, that would still qualify as a professional studio.

I used to have a studio with a six foot tall $10,000.00 Ampex 1" machine, and dedicated drum booth, recording local bands, and doing lots of jingles for radio.  I also played professionally three or so times a week, so my studio was not my sole source of income, and would have been eligible to buy REAPER for sixty bucks, even though I was doing commercial recording there.  This was the old studio. A roll of tape for that Ampex cost me more back in the mid 80s than REAPER would cost me today for that studio!   ;)

Glennbo

dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/10 23:43:16 (permalink)
Thanks for clarification.
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/11 08:42:01 (permalink)
Skyline_UK

Have you seen: https://forum.cockos.com/archive/index.php/t-72891.html

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Skyline_UK
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/11 12:07:55 (permalink)
Skyline_UK

Have you posted a question with maybe a screen shot of what you are after, over in the REAPER group?  Like maybe a before Shift+F and an after Shift+F so it is crystal clear what you are trying to achieve. I use static track view on top, mixer on bottom, so I wouldn't know what to tell you even if I saw before and after shots, but other folks in the REAPER group use a lot of things that I don't use, like screen sets, which REAPER has, but I couldn't even begin to tell you where those are, or how they work without looking it up somewhere.  Well dammit, now you made me go look!!!
I still don't know if this is what you are looking for, but searching for "zoom to" in the user guide hit this.
Zoom Out to entire project length - Ctrl PageDown

Yes, I tried the forum. No joy.  It's been something some members have been asking for for two years.
I've been experimenting for a few hours today. I tried the script in that old Reaper forum thread.  Doesn't quite work because you have to put dummy events on any track that doesn't yet have any - even Instrument tracks!  And 'select all tracks' doesn't work in the macro.  Also, for some reason it resizes the project to a point two or three bars after the real end - and yes, I've made sure there are no MIDI events or markers there.

Also still outstanding after two years forum activity on it, is how to lock an individual  track height!  I have to say I find it staggering that Reaper regularly adds all kinds of teensy weeny tweaks to the program and yet can't incorporate these two very, very, basic tools, which I don't regard as Sonar 'nice to haves' by any means.

I'll plough on for a bit more creating a project, but I'm finding more and more areas which leave me saying "Whaaa?".  And more worryingly, I haven't found a single feature yet which has made me say "Ok, that's neat".

I think for me it's looking increasingly like it's going to be a case of using Sonar until the bottom of it drops out for some reason, and then making the switch to Studio One.

My stuff

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB RAM.
OS & Programs drive: 240GB SSD
Data drives: 1 x 1TB drive RAID mirrored, plus extra 1TB data drive 
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Cakewalk by BandLab 64 bit, Studio One 3, 
Band In A Box 2016, Ozone 8
+ too many other plugins
BandLab page
azslow3
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/11 17:52:00 (permalink)
What about:
Track: Select all tracks
Item: Select all items
SWS: Horizontal zoom to selected items
SWS: Vertical zoom to selected tracks
Item: unselect all item
Track: Unselect all tracks

Try to add into Sonar some functionality it does not have... Most of the time, when something does not exist in Sonar, the argumentation was "that is not needed". In Reaper, the argumentation is the same

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/11 18:08:48 (permalink)
azslow3
What about:
Track: Select all tracks
Item: Select all items
SWS: Horizontal zoom to selected items
SWS: Vertical zoom to selected tracks
Item: unselect all item
Track: Unselect all tracks

Try to add into Sonar some functionality it does not have... Most of the time, when something does not exist in Sonar, the argumentation was "that is not needed". In Reaper, the argumentation is the same

You have gotten quite good in a very short amount of time with the concept of custom actions in REAPER!

When I need some custom actions for things I need, I know who I'll be calling!!!  

Glennbo

azslow3
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/11 20:14:17 (permalink)
You have gotten quite good in a very short amount of time with the concept of custom actions in REAPER!

When I need some custom actions for things I need, I know who I'll be calling!!! 

It will take some time till I learn the whole thing. In Sonar, there was around 1000 commands and around 100 API calls. In Reaper there there is an order more.

bayoubill
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10899
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/12 01:04:33 (permalink)
Right now Reaper is my first choice. Let me know if , since I mostly do guitar and bass stuff, I would need a midi priority in my DAW

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/12 01:30:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tparker24 2017/12/12 06:00:01
bayoubill
Right now Reaper is my first choice. Let me know if , since I mostly do guitar and bass stuff, I would need a midi priority in my DAW

I haven't found anything midi wise that I can't do in REAPER that I previously did in Sonar.  I frequently record with the set of V-Drums I'm banging on in my avatar, and use Superior Drummer 2 for my drum sounds. It captures everything I play on the V-Drums, which includes midi continuous controller data from my hi-hat pedal, and Poly Aftertouch when I choke my cymbals.

I also do extensive midi input routing, and audio output routing with Superior Drummer, Kontakt, Proteus VX and other VSTi midi instruments with multi-input/output support.  I use the sliders on my Akai MPD26 pad controller to push and pull the drawbars on Native Instruments B4 organ as well.

My setup has three midi controllers which are V-Drums, an M-Audio midi keyboard controller, and the desktop Akai MPD26. I can set REAPER to see them all at once on any channel, or isolate them to their own private tracks.

And as far as VSTi instruments go, I can put more than one on a track (and there is no midi track vs. audio track), and all of them play which is something you can't do with Sonar.  In fact, you need two tracks in Sonar for a VSTi midi instrument. One for the midi, and another for the audio.  REAPER uses a single track which supports both midi and audio, and you can patch as many VSTi instruments as you want on one single track, rather than having to either duplicate the track, or create a linked copy of it like Sonar does.

Glennbo

JohnKenn
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1659
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/12 02:38:39 (permalink)
Forum must still be up and running for now...

Sky, Reaper not a good fit for you. May the wind be to your back, and Studio One will do a killer job for you. A bit less stable, fragile, but can do things Reaper cannot do native if the functions apply to your need.

Big respected thanks to Glenbo, to Azslow for all your help. You guys rock. So much effort in helping with the transition to Reaper for those who feel that the switch is appropriate.

John

emphasizing the point many times made. Sonar ain't going to go belly up tomorrow. May likely work solid for many years to come. There is ample time to take a breath and consider an alternative at leisure.
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
. 2017/12/12 14:08:45 (permalink)
post edited by mister happy - 2017/12/14 16:22:37

jbraner
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1830
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/13 14:59:21 (permalink)
OK - I've been dipping my toes in slightly.
There are *lots* of preferences and options to think about! ;-)

2 quick questions:
- Is there any way for Reaper to show me my reported round trip latency?
   I know it's set for 64 samples, and can either force that, or read from my interface - but does it actually tell me in ms what (or what it thinks) my latency is?

- I'm sure I'll get to this when I have a better look at layouts, but where is a good place to put the performance meters?
   I'd rather see it all the time, than have it docked. It's in a floating window now, and I can "pin" it, so I guess it won't move - but can you dock it to the top (like I did with the transport bar) or somewhere?

PS - I'm just going to do this slowly - and then work my way to doing an actual project, bu tI've got a lot of things to figure out. So far (and I'm sure it will stay this way) everything is there - I just need to find it, and then work out if there is a "better" (ie easier) way...

Thanks

John Braner
https://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/JohnBraner
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
- Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit
- Cakewalk by BandLab x64
- Reaper x64
- 16GB RAM
- Asus P8z77-V mobo - using the integrated Intel graphic card (HD4000)
- MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface
I usually use ASIO set at 64 or 128 samples
er - that's it I think...
jbraner
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/13 15:21:55 (permalink)
OK - I'll answer number 1, I found it up on the top right (with a little help from the Reaper forums)

I chose 24 bit WAV file to render to, but maybe I'll change that to 32 bit (I think that's what SONAR does)

I have a long way to go....  

John Braner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
- Reaper x64
- 16GB RAM
ptheisen
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 173
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/13 15:28:09 (permalink)
I am currently evaluating Reaper 5.62, so I'm not an experienced user, but I did notice that in the upper right hand corner of the screen it always displays the following information (without the descriptions): sample rate, bit depth, quantity of input and output channels on audio interface, audio buffer sample size, input latency, output latency and audio driver type.

I see you found the answer in the time it took me to read your post and respond.
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/13 19:49:59 (permalink)
jbraner
OK - I'll answer number 1, I found it up on the top right (with a little help from the Reaper forums)

I chose 24 bit WAV file to render to, but maybe I'll change that to 32 bit (I think that's what SONAR does)

I have a long way to go....  

Interesting John that yours reports 1.8/3.9ms when using 64 samples and 24/44.

Mine, using two M-Audio Delta 2496 cards reports 2.4/2.0ms using 64 samples and 24/44.

What audio hardware are you using, coz it obviously makes a difference even with other things set the same.

Edit: I would also suggest leaving the settings stock for your audio hardware at least for now. If you start making tweaks to things dealing with the audio engine, you might introduce issues that will have you chasing ghosts, rather than testing out recording, editing, and playing back.  Internally it's 64 bit float, but again I wouldn't recommend tweaking things right off the bat. I've *never* made any changes to buffers, latency, offsets, or anything whatsoever on my system, and won't be doing it later unless some actual issue were to arise.  IOW don't FIX it unless it really is BROKE!   ;)

Glennbo

jbraner
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/13 21:50:58 (permalink)
Hi G'bo,

I use a MOTU Ultralite AVB. RTL times will always depend on the driver, and the "safety buffers" that they build in. This latest (well, and the one before) built in a little extra "safety" (that you can't change) - so that's what you're seeing.
This is set for 64 samples (buffer) and 48 for "host safety offset". This safety buffer goes right down to 16, and then the actual buffers can go down to 32 (with various safeties) and even 16 (!)

When I get to the point of recording some guitar parts - I'll try pushing it, with a lot of (copies of) audio tracks - and see how low we can go ;-)

I can play at this setting in SONAR, but only when there's not much going on - then I have to raise it to 128/48 (10.2ms RTL). I've never been sure if this is completely down to SONAR, the driver, or the PDC in th eplugins that I use. It will be interesting to see how similar projects play in Reaper - and I'll be sure to report back.

I would also suggest leaving the settings stock for your audio hardware at least for now. If you start making tweaks to things dealing with the audio engine, you might introduce issues that will have you chasing ghosts, rather than testing out recording, editing, and playing back.

Oh no - I'm not touching anything like that! ;-)
I just meant the settings for paths and filenames and behaviour of the MIDI editor and media imports, snap settings yada yada.

I *will* get in to this. I actually like tweaking and setting up something new - for a while - but then I like to just "set and forget" and get to playing ;-)

I'm just going to work on this a little at a time, while working on a couple of things in SONAR.

Then when I'm ready - I'll try a full project in Reaper.
Then if I'm happy - I'll park SONAR ;-)
That's the plan anyway...

John Braner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
- Reaper x64
- 16GB RAM
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/13 22:29:33 (permalink)
jbraner
I would also suggest leaving the settings stock for your audio hardware at least for now. If you start making tweaks to things dealing with the audio engine, you might introduce issues that will have you chasing ghosts, rather than testing out recording, editing, and playing back.

Oh no - I'm not touching anything like that! ;-)
I just meant the settings for paths and filenames and behaviour of the MIDI editor and media imports, snap settings yada yada.

I *will* get in to this. I actually like tweaking and setting up something new - for a while - but then I like to just "set and forget" and get to playing ;-)

I'm just going to work on this a little at a time, while working on a couple of things in SONAR.

Then when I'm ready - I'll try a full project in Reaper.
Then if I'm happy - I'll park SONAR ;-)
That's the plan anyway...

Try recording a whole project with your settings set like they are without changing anything and see how far you get. As I've said before, I *NEVER* play with increasing buffers later in a project, or reducing them early on.

Every project I've recorded in the last ten years with REAPER have been done with 64 samples latency, and not once have I increased buffers or messed with any other audio engine settings to make a project play.

Just for example, here's a list of the stuff in one of my songs which I never froze any tracks, or bounced anything to audio, and never changed the latency, or increased any buffers, or changed anything in any way shape or form from the way all my projects are recorded in REAPER.  I had the following list of FX and softsynth instruments, all playing with no pops, no clicks, or any other artifacts in the audio.

FX used
------------------------------
19 EQs
16 W1 limiters
11 Compressors
8 Klanghelm MJUCjr compressors
5 Lexicon MPX reverbs
4 PSP Vintage Warmers
4 Waves DBX160 compressors
3 Multi Band Compressors
1 Delay
1 Convolution Verb
1 Arturia Mini Filter V
1 Voxengo Stereo Touch

Virtual instruments used
------------------------------
1 Superior Drummer 2 with 1.4 GB of sample data
1 Native Instruments Kontakt with trumpets, trombones, and brass ensemble
3 Native Instruments Guitar Rigs
2 Native Instruments Reaktors
1 Sforzando SF3 sample player with alto sax
1 Sforzando SF3 sample player with tenor sax
1 Sforzando SF3 sample player with baritone sax
1 Arturia Minimoog V
1 One Small Clue - Grace sampler with percussion samples

Glennbo

DeeringAmps
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2614
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/13 23:34:10 (permalink)
That is indeed a lot of VST & VSTi at 64 samples!
I'll throw Ozone on the 2-Buss and report back...

T

Tom Deering
Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/13 23:42:27 (permalink)
DeeringAmps
That is indeed a lot of VST & VSTi at 64 samples!
I'll throw Ozone on the 2-Buss and report back...

T

That song had 27 tracks, if it makes any difference. I don't have Ozone, and it may turn out that with some CPU hungry FX some alteration of stock settings might be needed. So far (knock wood), I've not had to change anything, and happily add tracks with Guitar Rig, monitoring live toward the end of some projects. I've recently switched back to using acoustic drums though, so I no longer have Superior Drummer 2 on every song I do. That should buy me back a lot of CPU headroom!   ;)

I only made that change in the last few months when I bought myself a Questlove Ludwig kit to keep in my studio because of the small footprint. Within a month I realized that the kit sounded great, and bought some Audio Technica mic's for overheads, and also use a Sennheiser MD421 on the kick and SM58 with the windscreen removed on snare.

Glennbo

jbraner
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/14 11:02:48 (permalink)
Try recording a whole project with your settings set like they are without changing anything and see how far you get.

While I'm still just playing, I want to see if I can get the settings *lower*.
I'd be thrilled to be able to stay at the 64/48 (5.8ms), but now is the time to see how low I can go ;-)
Like you - I'd be happy to just pick a setting and stay there, so we'll see how it goes ;-)

John Braner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
- Reaper x64
- 16GB RAM
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/14 15:43:21 (permalink)
jbraner
Try recording a whole project with your settings set like they are without changing anything and see how far you get.

While I'm still just playing, I want to see if I can get the settings *lower*.
I'd be thrilled to be able to stay at the 64/48 (5.8ms), but now is the time to see how low I can go ;-)
Like you - I'd be happy to just pick a setting and stay there, so we'll see how it goes ;-)

Does your audio hardware allow 32 buffers? I've seen some guys in the REAPER forum who run with 32 buffers, and something like 1.5ms latency. My ancient pair of M-Audio Delta 2496 cards, which I've had since running Cakewalk Pro Audio on Win98SE and another dedicated machine running Win98SE with GigaStudio, doesn't offer anything lower than 64 samples. My DAW machine is almost seven years old too. It's an old Asus P7P55D with a 2.66Ghz Intel i5, and 6GB DDR3.

For jollies, I tried setting my 2496 cards to 96Khz and while it lowered my latency to something like 1.3ms, I could not record more than a few tracks before it couldn't keep up. I don't know that I've ever really tried any in-between rates, but since I knew that 24/44 would let me record and never spend a second diagnosing my machine, I just went back to that and haven't touched it since. That was so many years ago I can't really remember when it was!

Glennbo

jbraner
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/14 15:48:01 (permalink)
Does your audio hardware allow 32 buffers?

Yeah - it even goes down to 16!
But that doesn't mean anyone can use it ;-)

I'm still messing around with MIDI - so I'll get to recording/playing audio soon ;-)

John Braner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
- Reaper x64
- 16GB RAM
Afrodrum
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 559
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/14 16:42:48 (permalink)
Current version is $60 with free upgrades until ver. 6.99. Does it mean another $60 when ver. 7.0 comes out (perhaps with free upgrades until ver. 8.99) ?

Windows 10/64, Intel i7 Xeon X6575 3,07GHz, 24Gb RAM, chipset: Intel X58 Express, Kingston SSD 240Gb,  Sonar Platinum , Edirol UA-25.  (Some extra VSTs: PSP almost all/  IK - AT4, ST3, / AAS - all/ TH3 full/ +10dB/ Melodyne Editor). EVE sc205 monitors, Defil Kosmos guitar, blue lava lamp, ashtray.  And there is some great music you may find at: https://soundcloud.com/pawel-jan-1

Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/14 16:53:35 (permalink)
jbraner
Does your audio hardware allow 32 buffers?

Yeah - it even goes down to 16!
But that doesn't mean anyone can use it ;-)

I'm still messing around with MIDI - so I'll get to recording/playing audio soon ;-)

Well, your DAW hardware is newer than mine, and the only place I've got you beat looks like the video department. I don't let the main CPU burn any clock cycles on video, so I put an nVidia 9800GT based card in to handle all the graphics tasks.  BTW, some plugins burn a good chunk of horsepower using OpenGL graphics, and having a few of their GUIs visible can introduce a hit in performance. Waves is one such plugin company using OpenGL I believe.

Glennbo

Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/14 17:01:23 (permalink)
Afrodrum
Current version is $60 with free upgrades until ver. 6.99. Does it mean another $60 when ver. 7.0 comes out (perhaps with free upgrades until ver. 8.99) ?

It means another $60 at v7.0, but to give you an idea of how that works. I bought v4.0 the same day it became available, which was back on August 6th of 2011. Here we are today at December 14th 2017, which is five years and four months later, and they still haven't gotten to v6.0, which is when I will have to pay another $60.

They just released v5.70 a day or so ago, and they keep clicking the version numbers up very slowly, so I won't at all be surprised if I get to August 2018 before I have to pay again. That would make it six years for $60, or ten bucks a year I will have spent.

Oh, and yes to the question about purchasing at v7.0 and getting free updates all the way through v8.99

I started at v2.x and got free updates all the way through v4.0 when I finally had to buy again back in 2011.

Glennbo

azslow3
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/14 17:06:04 (permalink)
Afrodrum

Yes. Note that 5.0 is dated 8.2015, 4.0 is dated 8.2011 ... I mean it can take a while till you are asked to pay another $60

Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 8 of 10
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1