Reason users - version 4

Author
mcl
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 95
2007/06/22 18:09:35 (permalink)

Reason users - version 4

In case you missed it, Propellerheads has announced v4 and are seeking beta testers.

More info on the site (cant deep link unfortunately).

Mike CL

5 Replies Related Threads

doncolga
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1519
    RE: Reason users - version 4 2007/06/22 18:25:19 (permalink)
    Hey,

I've just downloaded the Reason demo version, but I've used Reason adapted just a teeny, teeny bit and really liked the sound. Here are my main questions about Reason in relation to Sonar...

1. What do you like best about Reaon?
    2. Do you sequence anything in Reason or use it just as an instrument?
    3. Is it possible to make drum patterns in there and drag them over to Sonar midi tracks?

Thanks,

Donny

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
    mcl
    • Total Posts : 95
    RE: Reason users - version 4 2007/06/22 18:34:01 (permalink)
    I use Reason only as an instrument set.

With Live for composition and Sonar for finishing I don't need Reason's sequencer.

I prefer to create my own 'loops' so I haven't really explored the REX stuff in Reason as yet. My focus has been on the synths & samplers (NNXT primarily).

I am really looking forward to getting my grubby paws on Thor... and that arp looks rather good as well although I doubt it will cure my hankering for the P5 arp.

so..

1 - Low CPU usage for massive instrument combos
    2 - No, just as an instrument
    3 - Not quite. You can get the MIDI out but not by dragging and dropping (search on the forum - I think there are some posts on this topic).

Reason's synths need some work to get strong sounds. Loaded individually they sound rather weedy. Put in some effort though, and you can get some very good results. It all so very easy as well. The instrument & fx rack metaphor is a good one.

Mike CL
    Twigman
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3667
    RE: Reason users - version 4 2007/06/26 09:11:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: doncolga
    3. Is it possible to make drum patterns in there and drag them over to Sonar midi tracks?

1. Everything - v low CPU burden, it's very simple to use,it has an awesome ability to build complex instruments/patches......I just love it.

2. Both - I use the sequencer in Reason for Reason device automation running under Sonar - it's far simpler than routing envelopes through rewire. I often sequence drums there, then export the midi to drive my VSTi in Sonar - the workflow is very fast in Reason.

3. No Drag/drop but exporting MIDI is a piece of cake....and sequencing drums with the Redrum is simple.

Become a Fan on Facebook
    Buy our stuff on iTunes
    Q9550-P5QL-E-8GB1066RAM-GT9800 1GB-RME HDSP9632-W7Prox64-X2x64
    KlientL
    • Total Posts : 98
    RE: Reason users - version 4 2007/06/26 10:09:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: doncolga

Hey,

I've just downloaded the Reason demo version, but I've used Reason adapted just a teeny, teeny bit and really liked the sound. Here are my main questions about Reason in relation to Sonar...

Thanks,

Donny

1. I like the flexibility to be able to minipulate your sounds (you can view and change the cable routings of instruments to get nice effects or different sounds)

2. I use it as an instrument, being that i cant track vocals in Reason i just export the wave files over to Sonar.

3. I havent got that far, but i see that a previous poster advised that there is something close to that you can do.

I like Reason alot. At first i couldnt justify the price point but over a short period of time i was very satisfied and still is.

Software:HS2004XL, Cool Edit Pro 2, Reason 3, Recycle, Nu Jointz
    Midi controller:Maudio 49e, Frontier Tranzport
    Soundcard:Emu 1820
    Monitors:Maudio Bx8
    HP: 1GB Ram,160 Gb hard drive, 320Gb ext drive XP,Pentium 4 processer 2.93 GHz 1mb L2 Cache 533
    jomarob
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Reason users - version 4 2007/08/03 22:26:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Twigman

2. Both - I use the sequencer in Reason for Reason device automation running under Sonar - it's far simpler than routing envelopes through rewire. I often sequence drums there, then export the midi to drive my VSTi in Sonar - the workflow is very fast in Reason.

I was just wondering what exactly is the procedure for "routing envelopes through rewire". I trust your statement that it is easier to just use a sequence track in Reason but I have been trying to figure this out and it is bugging me.

Thanks
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1