Re-assigning missing audio outputs, now I have sporadic missing midi notes?

Author
ChuckC
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1488
2012/10/27 19:22:17 (permalink)

Re-assigning missing audio outputs, now I have sporadic missing midi notes?

As I mentioned in a post yesterday...  I accidentally shut off my saffire pro 40 prior to getting the computer shut off & and it asked me whether or not to remember the settings I thought I hit the right one but I did not.... I re-assigned my audio outs in edit>preferences>devices>saffire audio for both input & output drivers 
]In Driver settings I have 'Playback timing master: saffire audio
Playback recording master: saffire audio

and I got the audio playing back now but my midi drum tracks (playing through EZ drummer) are missing notes here and there all over the place.  What did I screw up here?

Frustrated so any help is appreciated!

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
http://www.everythingiam.net/
http://www.stormroomstudios.com
Some of my productions: http://soundcloud.com/stormroomstudios

9 Replies Related Threads

ChuckC
    Re:Re-assigning missing audio outputs, now I have sporadic missing midi notes? 2012/10/27 19:53:24 (permalink)
    I played around with buffer size and it's weird how how that effects it's behavior in both directions.

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
    ChuckC
    Re:Re-assigning missing audio outputs, now I have sporadic missing midi notes? 2012/10/27 19:55:46 (permalink)
    Seems pretty good at 20 msec /960 samples

FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Re-assigning missing audio outputs, now I have sporadic missing midi notes? 2012/10/28 02:15:53 (permalink)
    Hi Chuck

Have you changed the MIDI buffer size at all (Prefs-->MIDI-->Playback & Recording-->Playback). Too low a setting there can cause MIDI notes to not play.

Having said that I'm not sure why unassigning and then reassigning an interface would change that but it's worth checking. Bizarrely IIRC 250 is the default but I think CW recommend 500.
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Re-assigning missing audio outputs, now I have sporadic missing midi notes? 2012/10/28 09:47:40 (permalink)
    I fixed him up on this last night on the phone, Karl. His AUD.ini was all jacked and not even reporting the proper soundcard ins and outs. Stuff missing, options not correct. Something weird happened, that's for sure because though X2 supposedly migrated all his 8.5 stuff, the 8.5 ini was completely different than the X2 ini and I don't believe he would have been able to record in X2 because his inputs were all missing on his Saffire.

So we backed up the old one, made a new one, I ran through all the proper settings for each option and it was all running smooth as silk the last I heard. He DID manage to get things working with the old .ini but the lower he set his asio drivers, the more the midi would drop out. I believe we went with 500 or 800 on the midi playback. I actually use 1000 on one machine and 2000 on another for myself.

Whatever the case, he was a happy camper while running the project that was giving him issues with midi last night. :)

*Note to anyone experiencing any Sonar weirdness especially after a migration*

It's not a bad idea to have Sonar create a new ini from scratch. I can't tell you how many times this has fixed me in certain situations where I was ready to uninstall and reinstall Sonar. Before you ever do anything evasive, try a new AUD.ini and go through all your options and set them all up again. Just make sure you know what you're doing here as well as what options you need to select as Sonar will not configure your settings automatically.

Make sure Sonar is shut down. Go to your C:\Users\your identity folder\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\SONAR X2 Producer for win 7 users. Look for AUD or AUD ini and right click it and rename it to MUD or MUD.ini. This is just an easy way I use to back it up. Change the A to an M. From there, restart Sonar and it will create a new AUD file for you. If you don't see .ini after AUD, your system isn't configured to see . extensions. Don't worry about it. Mine is, so I see the "ini" part. 

*NOTE* If you can't find your app data folder, open any window, select "organize", then "folder and search options" then the "view" tab. Scroll down the list and look for the hidden files and folder options and expand it if it's not expanded. Select "show hidden files, folders and drives" click ok and you should find your app data folder. Once this is done, and Sonar is restarted you'll need to set up your options.

You'll need to select ASIO, your drivers for in and out, timing and playback, your bit and sample rate, any custom folders for audio drives, picture cache, custom plugin folders and anything else if you are running multiple drives. If Sonar is on your C drive and you are just using one drive, you'll be ok for some of these options. If not, here are the areas you'll need to reconfigure. The ones I don't mention, don't need to be touched unless you specifically have a reason to touch them. The options I don't mention are usually best left alone as they are configured by Sonar automatically. But if you are a power user and have a specific custom setting, you'll know what to adjust.

Preferences/Audio:
    Devices: Select the correct driver choices for in and out. Do NOT check drivers that are not in use. Just check what you use. For most people, analog drivers should be selected for all your ins. If you don't use more than one ouput, just select analog out 1/2.

Driver settings: Select the proper record timing master, playback master, and sampling rate.

Playback and recording: Select driver mode. Check with your soundcard manufacturer as to whether ASIO is right for your card. Most users should select ASIO unless otherwise stated. If you switch from MME or WDM mode to ASIO, click apply then "ok" and restart Sonar before you mess with anything else.

All the other options here are personal preferences other than MMCSS which should be checked for Vista and Win 7. The other options you can look up in the help file to see if they will be right for you.

Sync and caching: Most users can just change to trigger and freewheel unless you have a specific reason to use full chase lock. Check your soundcard manufacturer instructions. UAD users and Echo interface users are instructed to use trigger and freewheel via tech support notes. Sonar defaults to Full Chase Lock. Though I have never had a problem using the FCL setting, Echo and UAD instructed me not to use it for my particular system.

Preferences/Midi:
    Some or all options under midi may need to be reconfigured depending on what your needs are as well as if you have midi hardware connected or are using instrument definitions or controller interfaces.

Preferences/File:
    Folder locations: If you have specific folder you've created, additional VST plugin folders, additional audio drive or another custom configuration, you'll need to set those up here.

Audio Data: You'll need to set up global audio folder and picture cache if you use an audio drive that is NOT your C drive. You will also need to select record and render bit depths as you may see a default to 16 bit here where you may be a 24 bit user.

VST settings: Input any custon plug folders here if they are different than your default Sonar VST folder.

Those are all the settings *I* personally have to mess with when I create a new AUD.ini. Again, if something doesn't appear in this list, it's not something *I* personally have ever had to touch.

In the event this new AUD file (or AUD.ini) is not to your liking and you feel you had better performance before you messed with this stuff, simply shut Sonar down completely, go back to the folder where I made you alter your old ini file, delete AUD (or AUD.ini) look for MUD (or MUD.ini) and rename it back to AUD (or AUD.ini) Remember, you may not see .ini on your file unless your pc is configured to see those extensions. Once you rename MUD back to AUD, opening Sonar will have you back to exactly what you had before you made any changes here. Hope some of this helps those of you that may be experiencing any issues. This is the first thing I try when things start to get a little nuts in Sonar. I find myself having to do this at least once per year or when I update/upgrade or just experience some weirdness.

-Danny

P.S. Sorry for the long post about this stuff....I'm sitting here crapping my pants that this monster hurricane is headed directly at me here in South Jersey....so I'm trying to get my mind off of it....ugggh!

May God bless you guys and keep you safe if you are in an area that will be affected by this storm. Let's hope this thing isn't as bad as they are saying it is...but for some reason, I think we're in for one heck of a ride. :*(

post edited by Danny Danzi - 2012/10/28 11:11:03

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Re-assigning missing audio outputs, now I have sporadic missing midi notes? 2012/10/28 10:25:28 (permalink)
    Great post Danny, hope you stay safe.

My sister lives in North Carolina, she said they're getting ready for a rough ride.
    ChuckC
    Re:Re-assigning missing audio outputs, now I have sporadic missing midi notes? 2012/10/28 10:37:15 (permalink)
    Danny, Bro, once again I can't thank you enough for your time, and friendship man. It was cool getting to catch up with ya again & I really appreciated the help. Then to jump on here and see that you have done this (after walking me through tuning up my system, typed it out step by step for everyone/anyone else who might have similar issues) is awesome dude. You have got to be one of the most selfless people I know & it is an admirable trait bro. Thanks again.

Danny Danzi
    Re:Re-assigning missing audio outputs, now I have sporadic missing midi notes? 2012/10/28 11:18:22 (permalink)
    ChuckC

Danny, Bro, once again I can't thank you enough for your time, and friendship man. It was cool getting to catch up with ya again & I really appreciated the help. Then to jump on here and see that you have done this (after walking me through tuning up my system, typed it out step by step for everyone/anyone else who might have similar issues) is awesome dude. You have got to be one of the most selfless people I know & it is an admirable trait bro. Thanks again.

Thanks for the most kind words Chuck, and you're quite welcome. I'm just glad I was able to get you working again. This little trick we used can stop a lot of Sonar users from trouble shooting like mad or reinstalling the program. It has helped me so many times, talking to you and doing it made me feel it may be important for other users that may not know about it. Of course this will fade into the abyss in time, but hopefully a few will read it and copy the instructions should they need to do this at some point. Hope your stuff is still working ok bro...if not, after this storm blows over and I can get power back, I'll try and fix you up. But you'll probably find a rememdy from someone on here before I get back. Best of luck man! :)

-Danny

My Site
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re:Re-assigning missing audio outputs, now I have sporadic missing midi notes? 2012/10/28 11:55:45 (permalink)
    Danny, Great post. I really appreciate it! I love learning more ins and outs. I've never had to rename the ini, but it's great to have a new trick in the bag!

I'm facing the storm too. Fingers crossed.
    Danny Danzi
    Re:Re-assigning missing audio outputs, now I have sporadic missing midi notes? 2012/10/29 02:38:59 (permalink)
    Thanks glad you guys enjoyed it. Uggh, you too with the storm gs? Stay safe brother.....prayers to you and everyone else.

-Danny

My Site
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1