Recently-built PC: a review of the components

Author
Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
2011/01/24 18:01:31 (permalink)

Recently-built PC: a review of the components

I have recently finished building a new PC exclusively for DAW-use.  For anyone who is interested, here are some comments on the individual components that I used.  Items were purchased between Sep-Dec 2010.

CASE: ANTEC P183
REASON FOR CHOICE:
It was recommended to me (by a gamer) as being a quiet case.
PROS:
It's definitely quieter than most.  Even when running the computer with the case open, it emits less noise than my old computer with its case closed.
CONS:
It's too small and cramped.  My previous (Akasa) case was 24cm wide and 56cm deep.  The new Antec is only 20x50.  Various connectors (power, SATA, etc.) end up bunched up and pressing against each other and against components.  On more than one occasion, something has come loose as a result.
It's extremely heavy too, making it awkward to move in and out of position when building and testing.  The Akasa has castors and I wish that the Antec had these too.
The side panels are sometimes difficult to close.
Not all PSUs are suitable for this case.

PSU: ANTEC CP-850
REASON FOR CHOICE:
I actually began initially with a different model, Antec TruePower 750W Blue, but this PSU died an hour or so after first switching it on.  I had not been happy with the positioning of the fan (at the bottom of the unit), which doesn't allow much circulation when fitted in its slot within the P183 case (although I don't believe that this was the cause of its early death), so I replaced it with a PSU that Antec recommend for this case, the CP-850.  I would probably have opted for the lower powered (and smaller) CP-650, if it had been available at the time of purchase.    
PROS:
The fan is on the inside, blowing air into the unit, so the noise source is not anywhere near the outside of the PC case.
Some of the connectors are removable, so unused ones can be left off.
CONS:
It's bulky and fills up nearly half the space in the bottom section of the case.
Some of the unused connectors are not removable (this is true of most PSUs).
This PSU is overpowered for my needs (850W).

CPU: INTEL I7 950
REASON FOR CHOICE:
Rightly or wrongly, everybody said that this is the one to go for at this time.
PROS:
The supplied fan turned out to be quieter than expected.  I only installed it initially as a temporary measure, intending to replace it later with something more exotic, but I am now sticking with it.
CONS:
Delicate pins.  Handle with care.

MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD7
REASON FOR CHOICE:
This was by no means my first choice of motherboard.  I originally had an Intel DX58SO on order, until I became aware that the Intel is believed to be incompatible with UAD cards.  I had to quickly cancel and I was cornered into purchasing something suitable from a limited range of options and into paying out a lot more than I had intended.
PROS:
It's top notch, up-to-date with plenty of connectivity and is apparently easy to tweak settings.
CONS:
It's too expensive and has more features than I need.  The UD3 would probably have been sufficient.
One (or arguably two) of the PCIe slots are obstructed by the cooler.

RAM: OCZ DDR3 PLATINUM 1333MHz TRIPLE CHANNEL 3x2GB
REASON FOR CHOICE:
Low latency (7-7-7-20) at a reasonable price.
I don't need 6GB yet, as I am still only running 32-bit Windows XP, but I may upgrade to Windows 7 at some time in the future.
PROS:
Not sure.
CONS:
BIOS automatically sets the frequency to 1066MHz rather than 1333MHz.

CASE FANS: ZALMAN ZM-F3
REASON FOR CHOICE:
This model was chosen out of a catalog (and I now regret this).  I fitted 2 of these in the front of the case.
PROS:
The fan is supplied with a resistor to reduce the voltage and hence reduce the speed.  The low speed is effective enough.
CONS:
The fan is claimed to be "almost inaudible" at its lower speed.  This is not true; it emits an annoying buzz.  I have some Papst fans in an old PC and they are quieter than this running at at full speed.

GRAPHICS CARD: MATROX P690 128MB
REASON FOR CHOICE:
I have had several Matrox cards over the years and they have all been excellent.  I purchased this (used) one through eBay.
PROS:
Low power useage.
Fanless, therefore silent.
Best image quality by far!  I have an EVGA GeForce GTS 450 1GB in my non-DAW PC and it is inferior to the Matrox (disregarding its 3D capabilities of course).
CONS:
Normally expensive (but I was lucky to pick up this one very cheaply).
Apparently Matrox cards are not compatible with some of the latest features of Vista and 7 (e.g. Aero), but for me this is not an issue.
Although 128MB is sufficient for running Sonar on a dual-monitor setup, it may be inadequate for some non-DAW uses.

HARD DRIVE 1: Western Digital VelociRaptor 150GB
REASON FOR CHOICE:
I have used Raptors in the past and they always performed well.  This one was purchased second-hand (although it had never actually been used).  This is now my system drive.
PROS:
Fast
CONS:
Normally expensive (but I was lucky with this one)

HARD DRIVE(S) 2: Western Digital Raptor 74GB (pair)
REASON FOR CHOICE:
This pair was purchased second-hand through eBay.  They had previously been used in a RAID 0 configuration and I decided to use it in similar fashion.  It now stores multisamples.  Maybe buying used HHDs is not normally recommended, but my multisample files are all backed up anyway.
PROS:
Fast
CONS:
Small capacity
Normally expensive (but again I was fortunate here).

HARD DRIVE 3: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB
REASON FOR CHOICE:
Seagate drives have been totally reliable for me in the past and this particular one seemed good value.  I use this to store projects, exports, archives, etc.
PROS:
Reliable (as far as I know)
CONS:
By now a 2TB drive probably costs not much more than this one did at the time.

post edited by Kev999 - 2011/03/23 01:02:03

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1