Receptor Video Blog

Author
TedRackley
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2006/03/03 18:28:08 (permalink)

Receptor Video Blog

Hi guys,

I just got a copy of Sonar Producer and I am new to the forum here.

My day job is sales guy for Muse Research. I just recorded a video about the Receptor and put it up on my homepage. If you guys are interested in downloading and watching the video, click this link:

http://homepage.mac.com/tedrackley/FileSharing63.html

If you fast forward to the end, I shot some video about how to integrate the Receptor with Sonar.

If you guys have any questions that are not covered by the video, let me know and I'll shoot some more videos....

4 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Receptor Video Blog 2006/03/03 20:11:04 (permalink)
    I am new to the forum here. My day job is sales guy for Muse Research.
    Well then, Ted: Welcome aboard. I probably can't grab the video. Stuck to dialup and all. Sorry: that would've been great.
    Call me old-fashioned, but I like my video playback at greater than 1 FPS.

Hey, I heavily researched the Receptor when it first came out. The price? Well, I waited for that to drop, and it has. A little. The new O/S enhancements looked promising. Admittedly, I haven't revisited the issues in a while, so these comments may be old news. But I originally was put off by the fact that I could find no information about Receptor-ized versions of my licensed plugins, or the associated "crossgrade" costs. I had no concrete assurance that my current stuff would work in an affordable manner.

Also, there *were* a ton of VSTi's included, but I saw a lot of freeware. Now I realize that *officially* there's no support for "un-Receptorized" plugins, and that's quite understandable. I also know that puts a lot of people off, because they think, "I'd buy this for live use, but I really want it to load this-or-that." Hey, I know you probably can't give specifics, but how about a ballpark percentage? In your experience, does a given well-written plugin have more than a fighting chance of success in Receptor? And, since we're talking live use, reliability & stability also factors into that question.

I know that I can get the party line by revisiting the website, and I'm not lazy, but I like to collect personal input from real users. If you can expand on any of that here, that'd be great. If you can't, I'd be interested to hear about *anything* that you've found to be valuable in handling Receptor.

Or, consider it like this: You've got at least one new customer that's teetering on the brink. Won't take much. Convince me.
    I mean, besides that it's lower in cost than a neKo. Hmm ... can I upgrade the hardware myself? [BSEE and then some. I've been around the block quite a few times. Just as some background.]
    TIA
    TedRackley
    RE: Receptor Video Blog 2006/03/07 14:05:05 (permalink)
    Hi B Rock,

Actually, I've gotten some feedback via email that the video was too small, so I am uploading a better compressed, higher resolution version of the video. The file size is bigger, but many of you out there mentioned that you have broadband now. I also broke the hour and a half long video into pieces so you can get to the section you want without having to look at the whole thing...

It's uploading now, so my homepage is running a little slow. I'll let you guys know when it is done...

To address your other questions. I really haven't had issues with getting FreeWare plugins to work. The only one I tried that didn't was SupaTrigga, but of course I haven't tried everything. Since there is usually no copy-protection, most plugins that are freeware, shareware or donationware usually work real well. But check the www.kvraudio.com webpage anyway, just to see if someone has tried the one you want to use.

The copy-protected plugins, "premium"/for-sale plugins that you buy at your music store, we have to build installers for, there is no way around that. We tend to be moving away from cross-grade fees, but these costs usually go directly to the developer of the plugins anyway. For example, now all of the NI plugins are user-installable using the same challenge response code method that you use on your computer, instead of iLok which required a cross-grade fee. The good news, is that many of the premium plugins will work on Receptor as a 30-day demo, so you can use one plugin on a track this month, another the next month, and then keep/buy the ones you really like at a later date...

With regard to upgrades, you can put your own RAM in, specs are PC2700 DDR333Mhz non-buffered, non-ECC. Since we have a specially formatted OS and hard drive, you have to order those from your Muse Research dealer (160GB, 200GB and 400GB). But they are still user-installable/upgradeable, so if you buy a unit with a smaller drive, you can always get a bigger one later....
    TedRackley
    RE: Receptor Video Blog 2006/03/13 19:58:39 (permalink)
    Hi guys,

I just uploaded a new video on how to install NI B4 II on the Receptor:

http://homepage.mac.com/tedrackley/FileSharing63.html

By the way, I haven't been able to figure out how to switch my Sonar Project to 24 bit. The little box in the lower right hand corner of the screen says 16bit/44.1. Anyone know?
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Receptor Video Blog 2006/03/13 23:08:29 (permalink)
    Options>Audio Data. You can probably change it from your soundcard software, too.

And welcome to the forum!

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1