Reclaiming SATA for audio

Page: << < ..26 Showing page 26 of 26
Author
losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2008/06/11 11:20:13 (permalink)
Sorry to hear that.

1) Did you get the FW PC card with a TI chipset?

2) Did you try looking at the PCI latency timer on the PCMCIA interface? (Read the first post on this thread. When you're done there, read Luteman's posts, starting with post # 729. Your problem may be similar to his.)

If increasing PCI latency for your FW controller card doesn't help, then it may simply be your FW interface hardware or drivers. At that point, it's down to a call to their Tech Support, and if that doesn't help, well, then it may be time for an RMA.

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
artha
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2008/06/11 11:30:32 (permalink)
1) yes, my laptop have TI FireWire chipset

2) i'm reading now Luteman's post and i'll try to change FW latency

ESI tech support don't give any replys.

what does mean - RMA ??
losguy
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2008/06/11 12:01:35 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: artha
1) yes, my laptop have TI FireWire chipset

If I remember, you said your laptop already has a Firewire port with a TI chipset. Is that what you mean here? You need to be sure about which device you are looking at when you adjust PCI latency. Otherwise, you could be adjusting one device, while your interface is plugged into the other one, and so you will see no change.

losguy
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2008/06/11 12:04:19 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: artha
what does mean - RMA ??

Return Merchandise Authorization - meaning, you have communicated with the dealer or manufacturer and you have received permission form them to return the unit for refund/replacement.

artha
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2008/06/11 12:34:33 (permalink)
ok. i made DPC LATENCY TESTS and....

1) when i haven't connected FireWire card - all bars are green and everything is ok...

2) when i connect my firewire card, open sequencer... and open project... look what is happened:

http://img233.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dpclatencyjz4.jpg

sounds is clean.... clik.... clean .... click

sometimes one minute is clean, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter...

i disable most devices. wan,lan,usb and other... this same effect...

i set toshiba firebus latency to few options, also no effect, clicks still are....

any idea ?
post edited by artha - 2008/06/11 13:13:34
losguy
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2008/06/11 13:53:51 (permalink)
OK, big red DPC latency spikes of 16 msec are pretty bad. So, it only happens when you have your FW pcmcia card installed... there must be something not playing nice in the driver for that card, or possibly the cardbus controller.

There's another thread on the forum about DPC latency spikes. It usually involves updating device drivers or sometimes even the BIOS. Since you only get the spikes with the card installed, I'd focus on the FW card or possibly the cardbus controller drivers.

Since you've discovered this DPC latency issue, you may want to start (or join) a DPC latency (and/or Firewire) thread. I am wishing you the best in resolving this!

artha
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2008/06/15 05:08:59 (permalink)
ok. i found - this is problem with toshiba sattelite a100 - fan problem. when fan switch on - latency, when switch off - latency.
losguy
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2008/06/15 11:26:09 (permalink)
That is an interesting find, artha. So did you perhaps find a way to control that behavior? Possibly the BIOS may have a setting to disable the automatic fan switching, or maybe you could try a utility like SpeedFan.

artha
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2008/06/16 00:45:49 (permalink)
so....

in bios we haven't options.
speedfan isn't usable, because this fan is control by ACPI.
i heard about notebook hardware utility, but.... i found a way (still in test) -> using toshiba power saver change profile to FULL POWER.
then we have CPU CONTROL METHOD work in AUTO mode, fan is always on and i don't seen any max peaks in dpc latency. but like i said.... i'm still testing this. but sure is much better :-)
post edited by artha - 2008/06/16 01:14:31
losguy
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2008/06/16 10:42:18 (permalink)
Sounds good, artha... sounds like you're on top of it.

chitownrocker
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: Reclaiming SATA for audio 2008/06/17 00:35:34 (permalink)
carlos (losguy) I just wanted to first say that you are truly blessed,also God wanted me to tell you thanks for your first scripture quote here it is!!!!

losguy
Gold Member

ORIGINAL: Marquis42
I've used the Serillel converters to use PATA drives on SATA channels, but never the other way around. I suppose it would work, though there could be issues since what you're trying to "convert" is actually the controller and not the drive. The only issue I had was that since it was the boot drive on the SATA channel, I had to go into the BIOS and add a 1 second IDE pre-delay so the disk detection wasn't flaky.

Interesting, thanks. I suppose disk detection of a CD/RW connected to a SATA channel could be even flakier? Or would it not matter unless it's a boot drive?

quote:

BTW, your post above about RAID 5 is inaccurate. You do not need 5 disks to go RAID 5, you only need 3.

Thanks, I stand corrected. So the good news is, from where I sit, I only need one more SATA drive (Seagate Barracuda V) and a RAID 5 SATA controller card, and I'm in!! (So, where can I get a good RAID 5 SATA card, quick and cheap?)

For everyone's benefit (and mine too, I suppose), here's a technical explanation of RAID levels. How to read their diagrams: the individual disk drives are the big multi-shaded cylinders along the bottom. The big cylinders are depicted as stacks of little shaded cylinders. The little cylinders are the sequential data chunks that the RAID controller breaks the incoming data stream into and spreads across the drives. (This is on disk writes, of course. On reads, the RAID controller grabs the sequential chunks and reassembles them back into an intact stream.) The key to understanding the differences between the RAID levels is to look at the different ways that the chunks are numbered.

I think I remember now why I said five disks instead of three for RAID 5. It has something to do with hitting an optimum between increased performance and drive requirements. As you keep adding drives (N increases), at some point you will reach the need for more than one parity drive to keep track of all the added parity bits. (If this were not true, then one parity drive would be enough for an infinite number of data drives, which is absurd.) I vaguely recall that the number of drives where you get the two-parity-drive hit is six, so for optimal parity drive utilization you go back to five drives total. Of course, only the RAID 3 configuration uses a physical parity drive, so this tradeoff probably only applies to RAID 3.

< Message edited by losguy -- 3/26/2004 12:03:06 PM >

Psalm 30:12 (then click the "C" on the left)
On God's Kingdom and its Relevance
Fast Forward... to the End of Days

Running.. .
Tyan Tiger MPX S2466
Duel AMD 1.9 (Processors)
4 Gigs (Ram)
Chipset
· AMD 760MPX Chipset
 Dual-channel UItraATA-100
Up to four E-IDE drives
Windows Xp Sp3-Sonar 8.53-Melodyne DNA
Alien MidiCoffeepot
SteveECrane
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: P4C800-E Deluxe 2008/07/15 12:56:16 (permalink)
RogerLons (all),

I'm sorry for posting here, as I'm NOT a CakeWalk user ... but I'm getting desperate, as you'll understand if you read the Sound on Sound forum post.

Please see the post here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=PCMus&Number=637312&Searchpage=1&Main=588140&Words=+SteveECrane&topic=&Search=true#Post637312

concerning a P4C800-E Deluxe MoBo to which you were referring in your post.

I was hoping you could give me some insight into fault-finding and diagnosing the issues mentioned in the SoS post as you seem to be somewhat of an expert for this Mobo and DAWs.

Either way, thank you for taking the time to read this far.

Cheers,

Steve.
SteveECrane at GMail.com
Page: << < ..26 Showing page 26 of 26
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1