Recommendations for best solo Grand Piano VST? Free or Commercial

Author
Da=man
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 150
2010/07/07 17:33:29 (permalink)

Recommendations for best solo Grand Piano VST? Free or Commercial

I've got True Pianos Amber VST and it doesn't have the brilliance or shine of my Fantom x8 Ultimate Grand piano patch. I've tried to get the Grand Piano patches in Dimension Pro to sound as good but can't get close. I've tried other free VST's only to be left wanting.

For the last 5 years I have loved the piano sound of the Ultimate Grand and it is my go to solo piano sound. I just would like a way to record it quicker and cleaner as a VST on the computer. Any ideas as to the best solo grand piano VST????

Sonar 8.5.3 PE ( More than a  decade of Cakewalk products including  Sonar LE, Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 and Home Studio 7)  Roland Fantom x8, Yamaha MG82cx Mixer, Edirol MA-15D Speakers, M-Audio 24/96 soundcard,  2.8GHZ Core 2 Duo, 4G Ram, Roland TD-3 VDrums, 09 Band in a Box

20 Replies Related Threads

craigfowler
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 356
    Re:Recommendations for best solo Grand Piano VST? Free or Commercial 2010/07/07 17:53:15 (permalink)
    So many good ones to choose from. I like the Sampletekk ones (especially the PMI Emperor/Old Lady libraries), but Pianoteq is getting better and better too. I haven't tried any lately that blow me away, but I like the sound of the Ivory Uprights. I think there are great deals on the Quantum Leap libraries at the moment, and they sound nice (http://pro-audio.musician...ollection?sku=706911).
    Houndawg
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re:Recommendations for best solo Grand Piano VST? Free or Commercial 2010/07/07 21:47:40 (permalink)
    I'm also a huge fan of the Roland piano sound, specifically my RD-700GX. I've tried quite a few VST pianos over the years, and recently the TruePianos Diamond module has caught my ear's attention. Give it a try, you might like it.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Recommendations for best solo Grand Piano VST? Free or Commercial 2010/07/07 22:00:30 (permalink)
    What I have discovered is that all the piano VST's and samples have some sort of sonic issue to me. I collab with a friend who uses Ivory, I have Komplete's grands and a few others...... they all sound good to me by themselves in my monitors but at the same time they all sound kind of rolled off on the highs once they are tracked and in a project.

My solution has been to open the Cakewalk ParaQ equalizer and customize a piano EQ and save it as a preset. When I have a piano track now, either my own or someone else's.... I use this EQ to brighten it up and give it some life and body.

This has worked well for me.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/07/07 22:05:34

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:Recommendations for best solo Grand Piano VST? Free or Commercial 2010/07/07 23:20:43 (permalink)
    craigfowler

So many good ones to choose from. I like the Sampletekk ones (especially the PMI Emperor/Old Lady libraries),

There is a good deal on these at the moment, half price = $25 each BUT you need the full Kontakt, Hailion (or Gigastudio) to use them. I am tempted to get Emperor on the strength of the demo tracks.

Amber is, in my opinion, the worst of the True Pianos, I really like Diamond and Saphire and Emerald are very good too.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Recommendations for best solo Grand Piano VST? Free or Commercial 2010/07/07 23:25:00 (permalink)
    Ivory Italian Grand is the best I've heard, if you don't mind the dongle.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    craigfowler
    Re:Recommendations for best solo Grand Piano VST? Free or Commercial 2010/07/07 23:57:37 (permalink)
    Emperor is fantastic. I'm sure there are 'better' products out there (I'd like to try Ivory - and I *love* a couple of their uprights), but if you already have a sampler, it's hard to argue with $25, and I get a lot of pleasure playing that sample library. With some hall reverb it sounds pretty great.
    post edited by craigfowler - 2010/07/07 23:59:44
    craigfowler
    Re:Recommendations for best solo Grand Piano VST? Free or Commercial 2010/07/08 00:00:15 (permalink)
    Sorry: Screwed up the quote, and made it worse on the edit!
    Kuusniemi
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 490
    Re:Recommendations for best solo Grand Piano VST? Free or Commercial 2010/07/08 01:55:35 (permalink)
    Haven't yet bought them, but the demos from Imperfect Samples sound really really good.

Imperfect Samples Pianos
    craigfowler
    Re:Recommendations for best solo Grand Piano VST? Free or Commercial 2010/07/08 02:53:01 (permalink)
    The imperfect upright is gorgeous - but very imperfect. I've had trouble getting it to sound in tune with other things, but that is surely adjustable, and likely user error.
    NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:Recommendations for best solo Grand Piano VST? Free or Commercial 2010/07/08 03:42:13 (permalink)
    Pianoteq now has the "Play" version for 99-Euros. It is the same sound and instruments but is not tweakable as the regular or the pro version.

It is intended for those who don't need to tweak, and just basically want to play it.

Pianoteq is different in that it is an advanced MODELING development that does not rely on samples. The "tweaking" that the Play version does not have is for microphone positioning and for note editing. All else is still tweakable, such as pedals, soundboard, tuning, and so many features that it has.

Here's a web for a video on the thing.
    http://www.pianoteq.com/pianoteq3_play

post edited by NoKey - 2010/07/08 03:48:00
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Recommendations for best solo Grand Piano VST? Free or Commercial 2010/07/08 05:17:59 (permalink)

Pianoteq is different in that it is an advanced MODELING development that does not rely on samples.

As are the Truepianos one of which is included with Sonar.

The Ivory pianos are the best I've heard but I'm with Herb here you've got to put some work into all of them to get that sound you are after.

I don't use Ivory as I normally like a 'character' (read cheaper) piano (and I don't like dongles) so I tend to use a modelled piano (usually the Truepiano included with Sonar) as a layer, along with whatever sample set I'm using.  That way the velocity 'stepping' associated with lesser sample libraries than say Ivory and the like becomes much less pronounced.

The sympathetic resonance that is usually lacking in cheaper sample libs and modelled pianos I normally kludge with a chorused reverb from the mixed layers using a cab IR.  Like Herb too some mid-range saturation or boost normally helps a bit too.

This way of working gives some degree of flexibility because I've yet to hear a piano VSTi I'd want to live with permanently.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/07/08 05:26:18

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Legion
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1986
    Re:Recommendations for best solo Grand Piano VST? Free or Commercial 2010/07/08 07:23:17 (permalink)
    The Tascam Coninuos Velocity Piano GVI is a pretty good free one. Well worth trying if you can find it, I think it has been discontinued for quite some time but you should be able to find it on google if I don't remember wrong.

Edit:
    Here it is: http://www.ftptascam.com/..a/downloads/CVPiano.zip
    post edited by Legion - 2010/07/08 07:26:57

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
    Monkey23
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 848
    Re:Recommendations for best solo Grand Piano VST? Free or Commercial 2010/07/08 09:54:20 (permalink)
    I have (or have tried) practically all of them out there. Truepianos, Ivory, Pianoteq, Garritan Steinway, and many more. None of them hold a candle to Garritan's authorized Steinway. There isn't even a second place in my opinion.
    I had heard so much about Pianoteq that I got it, and foud it to be completely lacking in tone and "warmth" (i.e. mid-range). Same thing with Ivory (not the Italian Grand or Uprights which I have not tried). So many people on the SONAR forum whose opinion I respect were singing it's praises. But I'm not sure why. Fine, both of these programs are more flexible than Garritan Steinway, but what's the point of flexibility if the original sampled piano sucks. Maybe they sound decent in a mix but not for solo piano.
    At only a hundred dollars, try out the Garritan basic Steinway (basic because it's close mic'd only) and you can thank me later :)
    post edited by Monkey23 - 2010/07/08 09:56:03
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    Re:Recommendations for best solo Grand Piano VST? Free or Commercial 2010/07/08 10:13:49 (permalink)
    Asking about the "best" piano is like asking about the "best" dinner. Other people's opinions don't really matter.

If you want your Fantom piano patch as a VST, maybe try Extreme Sample Converter which claims to let you easily sample your hardware in an automated way. I haven't tried it, but maybe it'll do what you need.

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Recommendations for best solo Grand Piano VST? Free or Commercial 2010/07/08 10:15:41 (permalink)
    tarsier

Asking about the "best" piano is like asking about the "best" dinner. Other people's opinions don't really matter.

If you want your Fantom piano patch as a VST, maybe try Extreme Sample Converter which claims to let you easily sample your hardware in an automated way. I haven't tried it, but maybe it'll do what you need.

or just run your audio output from your fantom into your soundcard.  you can still use MIDI, set up a midi track and record it, send the output of the MIDI to the fantom, send the audio output of the fantom to the soundcard, arm an audio track and hit record.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Da=man
    Re:Recommendations for best solo Grand Piano VST? Free or Commercial 2010/07/09 00:09:33 (permalink)
    I am currently downloading the Garritan Authorized Steinway Grand Piano (Basic-$99). Thanks for the heads up Monkey 23. I've listened to a few demos plus compared sounds at Purgatory creek. It sounds like it will be competitive with the Fantom's Ultimate Grand yet won't break the bank.

I'll give my feedback in a couple of days. I have spent a lot of hours researching this idea.

Thanks for all the feedback. Yes I realise this is very subjective but I'm open to options ...and yes Beagle I'm already doing that although their is a Yamaha mixer in the chain before the soundcard. I can also record 16 bit straight into the Fantom.
    post edited by Da=man - 2010/07/09 00:10:45

Sonar 8.5.3 PE ( More than a  decade of Cakewalk products including  Sonar LE, Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 and Home Studio 7)  Roland Fantom x8, Yamaha MG82cx Mixer, Edirol MA-15D Speakers, M-Audio 24/96 soundcard,  2.8GHZ Core 2 Duo, 4G Ram, Roland TD-3 VDrums, 09 Band in a Box
    Monkey23
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 848
    Re:Recommendations for best solo Grand Piano VST? Free or Commercial 2010/07/09 01:28:15 (permalink)
    Da=man

I am currently downloading the Garritan Authorized Steinway Grand Piano (Basic-$99). Thanks for the heads up Monkey 23. I've listened to a few demos plus compared sounds at Purgatory creek. It sounds like it will be competitive with the Fantom's Ultimate Grand yet won't break the bank.

No problem. I can't say enough about it. I wish I had the money for the full version. I've "tried them all" as they say and I could never pinpoint what was missing until I heard the Garritan Steinway. The only thing that sounds better is the new Yamaha CP1 stage piano. But that's $5000! I'll take the Garritan for $4900 less!

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Recommendations for best solo Grand Piano VST? Free or Commercial 2010/07/09 04:29:22 (permalink)

Maybe not as cut and dried as that as some folk here chip in their methodology rather than just mentioning a particular favourite VSTi.

It's sometimes what somebody does rather than what they have that can be helpful.

Glad you found something to go on Da=man
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/07/09 04:30:55

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Da=man
    Re:Recommendations for best solo Grand Piano VST? Free or Commercial 2010/07/10 09:55:54 (permalink)
    Okay I've had a couple of days to tweak the Garritan Steinway piano (Basic-$99) and at first I was a bit disappointed but after a lot of tweaking and a touch of an external reverb (I'm not that fussed on their built in reverbs) I have a lovely warm piano.

I have just played it for hours tonight and it is slightly different then the Ultimate Grand in the Fantom but it is on par. Roland engineering is really hard to beat especially considering the sample size of their libraries. I hope they start creating VST's because they have always been lightyears ahead in their ability to program patches that trigger different samples based on how hard you play. The same is true on their V-drums.

Now I am left wondering what am I missing much from the Pro version of Garritan. I still don't see why these piano libraries need to be so large. Roland can do an incredible piano at 64mb with every note sampled at 4 velocities and it can keep up with the heavy weights.

Anyway I still haven't found the Holy Grail but I'm content now with having a software VSTI that can be used as a substitute.

Thanks everyone for all your replies.

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Recommendations for best solo Grand Piano VST? Free or Commercial 2010/07/10 10:42:08 (permalink)
    Glad you got it and are happy.... for now...

The better samples are very large. That's why they sound so good.

I have a 1TB drive (external) that I bought specifically for my sample libraries and for my data backup (song files) and I have to say that I have a number of libraries that are from 40GB to 80+GB in size. Now granted, these libraries are full of many instruments, but they are individually pretty big too.....I stopped looking at the sample file sizes......

the piano in Kontakt is one of the larger samples.... and it sounds really good just playing it straight out of the box so to speak...but when I put it in a project..... I need to EQ it and I have a preset where I start. 

Do yourself a favor and save your EQ presets so you can easily have a starting point.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/07/10 10:44:22

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1