Helpful ReplyRecommendations on Live Music Recording

Author
BoostSoftware
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 45
2014/03/08 14:01:46 (permalink)

Recommendations on Live Music Recording

Just looking for expert tips and tricks for a semi-professional videographer.  I normally use an onboard mic to pick up audio when shooting live performance.  However, I want to do a slick demo for a musician and would like to hear what the best practices are for this.

There will be mainly acoustic guitar and vocals (with harmonica on a neck stand).  In the past I've done live music at venues where we just take a line feed from the audio board.  For this, we will be in a controlled setting (studio) and I'd like to patch directly into my Mac, if possible.  I use Final Cut for video editing, but don't think there are that many options for manipulating the audio as would be done with an audio console or software.  One friend who is big on Mac just recommended Garage Band to record the audio.  One thing I'm not sure about is the ability to sync the audio with the live video.  This could be tricky. 

Will be spending more time researching for custom configurations for my needs.  Since this is a first-time project of this kind, I really don't have the budget to afford professional audio software and training.  I've done a ton of music videos in my day, but the digital technology has been a little bit of a challenge for me to transfer all of my audio/video knowledge.  In fact, it's much different in how to create an audio podcast and post it versus a video file to a You Tube channel or Facebook. 

With all the pros hanging out here, I figured I could get a few ideas on how to proceed.  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Erin Walsh
Boost Sofware, Director of PR

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Recommendations on Live Music Recording 2014/03/08 14:19:03 (permalink)
Lessons learned the hard way:
- show up before the band and do some tests on the empty stage to make sure you've remembered to bring everything you need
- as the band sets up, look at them through the viewfinder. Watch for badly-placed lights and blocked views; once the band's all set up it's too late to suggest changes
- use more than one camera, even if it means a static shot on a tripod
- don't forget to video some drum hits or other sharp sounds before the music starts, to check synchronization

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re: Recommendations on Live Music Recording 2014/03/08 19:19:50 (permalink)
Put a stereo pair of mics at the best place in the room, have a walk around while they're playing to find where sounds best. Record this straight to your mac. Leave it recording the whole time you're there. This is your master sound.

If you mean recording studio... Mic everything up and take a desk feed to your mac.

The more cameras you have, the better. If you only have one, make them play the track 4, 5 or 6 times as accurately as they can. Focus on the singer/soloist from at least 2 angles.

When editing, choose the best of the takes from your master audio track and use it in its entirety. Sync the matching video for that take then drop in cuts from the other video takes synced to the master audio. Don't put the audio from the video camera into the mix...

Several video editor apps will auto sync multi camera angles based on the audio.

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

spacealf
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: Recommendations on Live Music Recording 2014/03/08 22:44:10 (permalink)
There are always options. Video recording (with an external mic) on the camera can be done, as well as adding an audio track of the same thing (at least in my $50 software). Mixing the volumes can be done along with downing if necessary the camera audio volume which can be separated into video and audio (and that has to be done showing the waveform of the audio of course with the video there also) from the software video program. And if you have an audio track and edit it in sonar and then export the wave sound, then if it is at the same sample rate of the video camera (old ones used to be 48000 sample rate compressed and 16 bit like my old camera) or new HD camera where it should be listed in the manual somewhere also may be the same. (equivalent to 48000Hz sample rate and 16 bit). And you have a audio mixer in the software the video and camera audio on one track and the imported wave form of just the audio on another track then the video audio can be turned off and only the imported file used, or a combination of volumes whatever.

The only thing in video codecs is if you want straight 48000 Hz sample rate at the end and 16 bit like what was recorded, my software only makes an *.avi file that way, and those can be enormously very large files depending on length of the video.
post edited by spacealf - 2014/03/09 15:25:07

BoostSoftware
Re: Recommendations on Live Music Recording 2014/03/12 10:40:03 (permalink)
Great tips!  Thanks for all the ideas.  I'm good on technique, as far as shooting, angles and basic methods of production and even synching the audio (click tracks, master track, etc).  However, the real info I am needing was addressed in the sample rate criteria.  I guess it is really going to depend on what software I use and how to interface that with the equipment, i.e. audio board versus mics. 

Since I've done a ton of music videos in the past, using a line feed from an audio board to the camera or deck, I guess this narrows my question down to what kind of connectors or cables are used to interface with the computer. I have plugged in my keyboard to use Garage Band and suppose plugging in an audio board would be similar.

I am leaning toward the use of Garage Band to do some practice recordings before considering professional software.  However, I do have the Adobe Creative Suite and think there may be a one included in that package, since it is cloud-based and offers all the pro-Apps, like Adobe Premier, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc.  And, I may have access to a new audio software/hardware system that was recently installed at our Community Theater.  Guess that is where the real world/hands on practice will take place. 

Just thinking I may fool around with what I have at home studio to get familiar with the basics and then move to more advanced training resources.  Having shot, edited and aired hundreds of music videos "back in the day" I feel like I'm starting all over again!  There's a bit of a learning curve in transitioning to digital technology.

Thanks for all the input and advice,
Erin

PS...Here is a list of offerings on the Adobe Creative Suite.  Would soundbooth be a comparable recording studio program I could use for this application? 
Adobe Premiere Pro CS5
After Effects CS5
Photoshop CS5 Extended
Illustrator CS5
Flash Catalyst CS5
Flash Professional CS5
Soundbooth CS5
Adobe OnLocation CS5
Encore CS5
Bridge CS5
Device Central CS5
Dynamic Link

Erin Walsh

rumleymusic
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1533
Re: Recommendations on Live Music Recording 2014/03/12 13:58:16 (permalink)
Soundbooth was designed for videographers needing a dedicated audio program.  It has since been discontinued in favor of the fully featured Audition program, but it should still work.  Sample rate standards for video are 48khz at 16bits (but always record at 24bit), you should be running the audio through a dedicated preamp/converter and not directly into your computer "mic" inputs or the sound will suffer greatly.  There are plenty of cheap USB audio interfaces out there.

Daniel Rumley
Rumley Music and Audio Production
www.rumleymusic.com
BoostSoftware
Re: Recommendations on Live Music Recording 2014/03/14 15:59:31 (permalink)
Thanks, Daniel.

That is just the information I needed to know.  Will report back as I've had time to experiment. 
Much Appreciation!

Erin Walsh

BenMMusTech
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2606
Re: Recommendations on Live Music Recording 2014/03/14 18:01:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BoostSoftware 2014/03/15 15:19:45
If you have an IPhone get an IXY from Rode.  The quality will amaze you, you will def get excellent quality releasable quality stereo recordings.

Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
http://1331.space/
https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
wst3
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1979
Re: Recommendations on Live Music Recording 2014/03/15 12:03:18 (permalink)
Bit (as usual) hit the highlights, but I'll add a couple thoughts...

call me a wuss - or a dinosaur or even a curmudgeon - but I'm still not 100% comfortable recording to a computer for a "one chance only" recordings. I use a now ancient Fostex D-108 when I do location recording. I'm not suggesting that you should abandon the computer idea, just throwing this out there.

You will want some choices when it comes to microphones... different microphones will work better in any given situation. I take a minimum of:
1) a pair of Cardiod SDCs - usually Earthworks SR-77s, sometimes AKG C-451s. If I had a pair of KM-84s or CMC6/MK41s I'd take them<G>!
2) a pair of Omni SDCs - Sennheiser MKH-405s for me, but there are lots of candidates.
3) a pair of Cardiod LDCs - pick your poison, I take a pair of TLM-193s or a pair of GrooveTubes MD1s, wish I had more options
4) a pair of Omni LDCs - I use an AKG C414 and an AKG C12A cause that's all I have. These are multi-pattern, so I can also set up a Mid/Side or even Blumlein configuration if I am so inclined
5) a stereo ribbon, mine is a Royer SF-12, and for a change I feel no need for options.

You will also want really sturdy microphone stands - the down side is they will be huge and bulky and heavy, but they stay put.

And, I think specialized fixtures for different microphone configurations are a real time saver. I haven't purchased any of the commercial products, yet, but if I do more location work I will. It will save you time, lots of time, and time is usually a scarce commodity.

If your camera can handle time code then you'll want to record time code, but as bit pointed out, recording the drummer will provide a reasonably easy way to maintain synchronization.

Don't be afraid to record multiple microphone configurations! I almost always record a conventional stereo pair and the stereo ribbon.

Don't be afraid to record in mono - sometimes the combination of the room and the performance just work better in mono.

If you have enough gear you might want to record the room as well, if there is an audience present.

If you can grab a board mix that's always great to have as well.

The more material you can take away with you the better!!! While I am not a fan of fixing it in the mix, location recording often requires a fair amount of work after the fact...

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
Jay Tee 4303
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 246
Re: Recommendations on Live Music Recording 2014/03/15 12:39:30 (permalink)
I'm headed in this direction myself, but not very far down the road yet, still dialing in the audio side. Done a ton of stills, live, and I know where issues lie there. I also study a lot of other people's videos from gigs I attended myself...sooo...take this w a grain of salt cuz you probably know better than me where the gaps are in my experience.

First off...Sonar X2 Essential set me back $100, and I have yet to find anything  in Producer that Essential is missing that I need for live capture, and if I ever do, Essential files plug right into Pro if need be.

Second, I've done everything your original post requests, with just X2 Essential and Premier Elements. Just once, but it was easy, even tho the Premier manual lies off in my future. Premier Elements set me back $100, bundled w Photoshop Elements.

Third...nobody is gonna be happy with you being...in the way...while the band and studio staff is trying to lay down tracks, in an expensive facility, that probably was designed more for audio than video work, and probably less so while overdubbing, a fiddley process at a time when project money is running low. That means some advance planning on your part, including but not limited to, your trailing cables, any nouse you or they make, unforseen problems on your end, blocking progress on the audio side, any emag interference created by, or even blameable on you, justly or not, and the idea of re doing any takes just for vid, while on the $tudio clock. Not insurmountable, with planning, and a good attitude on your part. Possibly helpful would be a strong awareness on your part as a Fly on the Wall, seen but not noticed, as to the ebb and flow of the studio process, before you go live. A pre production sitdown, with the the three principles, talent, video, and audio, should help define clear priorities in advance, so that near certain compromises, aren't surprised at any times of stress.

Finally...I did not see major problems with sync. Any time at all spent watching Youtube, VEVO included, ought to make you aware that few competing vids even considered sync...drummers wailing on the snare visually during tom solos, chix doing handsprings w mics contacting the floor...silently...etc.

Still and all...Entry level software like Elements still provided numerous options to get clips n sound lined up.  In fact... I'm not convinced you need to worry about music audio at all. You are shooting in a facility designed and tuned especially for capturing and editing audio. You should have full access, after the fact, to tracks, stems, rough mixes, final mixes, and masters. Not sure you need to sweat re-inventing the wheel, especially in that environment...however...

Some of the best parts of the recording process, visually and audibly, go down between takes...with the red light off. Its very likely you and all you to capture that. On the plus side, how hifi do lounge and tracking room and control room antics need to be to make their point? You might be able to get away w camera mics alobe. Or step up to a good mike wired to the cam inputs. Bit better, add a handheld Zoom type recorder, with a stereo pair to the above. Know where your audio feeds are in advance so you can tap in on your discretion, and test them thoroughly to make sure jacking in doesn't put artifacts onto the master tape. Choose carefully WHEN you jack in...the ONE TIME you don't want a pop is the 387th take of the bridge, the ONLY one that captured the groove w no screw ups...except for YOURS.

If you aren't in a hurry, you could chill till a studio set up for simultaneaos audio and video is online and dialed in...I mean seriously...outside your car, you goona listen, when you can listen AND watch...in this century? Hang tuff...I'm on it, we oughtta have mostbof the bugs out and go live by the end of this decade...2025 at the latest...I swear!

IBM PC/XT
1 MB RAM
8087 Math Co-Processor
5 Megabyte Seagate Hard Drive
Twelvetone Cakewalk Version 2.0
BoostSoftware
Re: Recommendations on Live Music Recording 2014/03/15 15:29:06 (permalink)
Learning much from the discourse.  And, appreciate the transition to digital has been quite a leap for most.

With all the suggestions for mics, I always seem to have issues with the audio sounding tin-ee and tend to lose the bass end.  One friend recommended a PZM or two just in front of the band, behind any monitors to pick up the lower tones. 

Have any of you had similar issues, or feedback for getting a more full sound on the final recording?

Erin Walsh

BenMMusTech
Re: Recommendations on Live Music Recording 2014/03/16 17:51:13 (permalink)
Look the guys are over complicating things, that is their want.  But honestly get an IXY from Rode if you have an IPhone they even have a grip which hooks up to your camera.  There is an app all you have to do is hit record and you have a 24 bit 96khz file that can be edited and synced later.  It's how I do my live recordings now.

Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
rumleymusic
Re: Recommendations on Live Music Recording 2014/03/16 19:11:17 (permalink)
Anything is going to be better than on-camera pickup.  Though if you are recording a band, and want it to sound truly professional, you can't just stick up two mics in XY.  That is not to say a stereo pair cannot sound fantastic, but it usually works best with acoustic music in a good room.

The OP did say this was guitar and voice with harmonica only.  So XY (or other, better variants of stereo cardioids) could work just great.   If I had only two mics i would but them 2-3 feet in front of the performer and a couple feet above his head.  

Personally what I would do for folk music in this situation is: a single LDC for the voice and harmonica, a close stereo pair, or a single mic for the guitar and a stereo (room) pair a few feet back.  Multi Track or mix to taste.  

With all the suggestions for mics, I always seem to have issues with the audio sounding tin-ee and tend to lose the bass end.  One friend recommended a PZM or two just in front of the band, behind any monitors to pick up the lower tones. 

Have any of you had similar issues, or feedback for getting a more full sound on the final recording?

You will not want for anything with proper miking and good microphones.  Dynamic mics and highly directional electret camera mics are not good for stereo pair recording, they will sound weak, use dedicated SDC (pencil) mics.  LDC's can sound muddy on bass heavy material since the transient response is much slower.

Keep in mind the more directional the microphone, the greater the proximity effect, and the weaker the bass will sound at a distance. Add to that the fact that highly directional mics are weak in the bass range to begin with.  

Daniel Rumley
www.rumleymusic.com
BenMMusTech
Re: Recommendations on Live Music Recording 2014/03/16 20:41:33 (permalink)
rumleymusic
Anything is going to be better than on-camera pickup.  Though if you are recording a band, and want it to sound truly professional, you can't just stick up two mics in XY.  That is not to say a stereo pair cannot sound fantastic, but it usually works best with acoustic music in a good room.

The OP did say this was guitar and voice with harmonica only.  So XY (or other, better variants of stereo cardioids) could work just great.   If I had only two mics i would but them 2-3 feet in front of the performer and a couple feet above his head.  

Personally what I would do for folk music in this situation is: a single LDC for the voice and harmonica, a close stereo pair, or a single mic for the guitar and a stereo (room) pair a few feet back.  Multi Track or mix to taste.  

You will not want for anything with proper miking and good microphones.  Dynamic mics and highly directional electret camera mics are not good for stereo pair recording, they will sound weak, use dedicated SDC (pencil) mics.  LDC's can sound muddy on bass heavy material since the transient response is much slower.

Keep in mind the more directional the microphone, the greater the proximity effect, and the weaker the bass will sound at a distance. Add to that the fact that highly directional mics are weak in the bass range to begin with.  

The IXY microphone is an XY stereo microphone basically the same as Rodes NT4, it has it's own recording app which you just transfer the stereo recording across from your IPhone.  This aversion to recording to an Idevice is no longer warranted but you will still see the oldies proclaim no way never because oldies fear change!!
http://www.rodemic.com/microphones/ixy

Ben 

rumleymusic
Re: Recommendations on Live Music Recording 2014/03/16 22:03:03 (permalink)
The IXY microphone is an XY stereo microphone basically the same as Rodes NT4, it has it's own recording app which you just transfer the stereo recording across from your IPhone.  This aversion to recording to an Idevice is no longer warranted but you will still see the oldies proclaim no way never because oldies fear change!!

To be straight, the iXY is not an NT4, the only thing they have in common is the XY pattern.  One is a traditional condenser, the other is an permanently polarized electret with capsules worth about $5/pair.  The miniature internal JFET negates the need for an external amplifier and can link directly with a tiny AD converter.   The sound is fair, a bit nasal and lacking in space and clarity.  Certainly no substitute for high quality gear for professional use.  For a hobbyist or someone looking to do one better than recording to a camera, this is fine. 

Many manufacturers, including Apogee and RME are making their gear class compliant for use on an i-device.  Nothing wrong with using what is essentially a smaller computer which is nothing but a bit storage box.  I does lack in stability and reliability which is something the pros take very seriously, I will not trust my work to something I cannot quite trust. 

The "oldies", aka pros, certainly don't fear change, most just know better.

Daniel Rumley
www.rumleymusic.com
BenMMusTech
Re: Recommendations on Live Music Recording 2014/03/17 02:13:58 (permalink)
Look the idea of "pro" and "fidelity" are crap.  It's an idea propagated by the corporations which are designed as control mechanisms.  Yes the IXY is a cheap microphone used for the IPhone but to record what the OP has suggested which is acoustic guitar, vocals and harmonica it would be fine.

I may have made a superfluous claim and connected the NT4 and the IXY but again the "pros" are giving superfluous data which in the end will only confuse the OP.

I recently did some location recordings using the IXY and recorded a couple of jazz bands and a string trio, the sound was amazing and I have excellent ears.

All I am saying is look at what the OP wants to do and then try and come up with a solution that isn't so technical, and realise that not everything you understand as pro these days is needed for such a simple need. 

Ben 

rumleymusic
Re: Recommendations on Live Music Recording 2014/03/17 13:18:19 (permalink)
I am trusting the OP has more intelligence than you give her (sorry Erin) credit for.  Instead of trying to pass off snake oil as a real remedy to the OP's issues, some people are trying to give her some advice which may be more useful in the long run.  No, buying such-and-such piece of gear will not solve all her problems, no matter how much your excellent ears like it. 

Tin-foil-hat comments about fidelity as corporate propaganda I don't think will help her either.  Other than being discouraging toward self improvement, it is a personal opinion I guarantee most experienced engineers do not share.
post edited by rumleymusic - 2014/03/18 12:30:45

Daniel Rumley
www.rumleymusic.com
spacealf
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: Recommendations on Live Music Recording 2014/03/17 14:24:56 (permalink)
This video:
http://youtu.be/LATVxosP5ds
was done with this mic:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VideoMProST/

until they told me they do not allow it, and may bane me from coming in the place
if done again.

My old video camera (not HD Ready or HD full - and looks like it)
at the camera's rate of 48kHz and 16 bit, made to 44100kHz and 16 bit
without anything else done to it in the video program into a *.avi file.
-10dB bass cut switch was on, and the place has a sound person.
Noisy with people in it of course, it is live. I was sitting at a table towards the back of the room.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
In your case a studio may be different and not allow a camera in the same room,
and may want to kick you out of there while a recording is being made.

Otherwise I suppose there are even better mics, but for one mic, and the entire band
just recording on my old camera, I supose it may not be too bad. In fact with different
adaptors for the connection to equipment I may even consider to sing through it or use
it for recording as a low impedence microphone used in a recording.
(for a low- end version of a mic compared to some mic prices, of which I am not willing
to spend over a thousand dollars for, at least if not more money.

post edited by spacealf - 2014/03/17 14:25:57

BoostSoftware
Re: Recommendations on Live Music Recording 2014/03/18 12:16:19 (permalink)
Good stuff...especially, the highly charged banter  Well, no.  I don't have an iPhone.  But, will see if any of the musicians want to experiment or go that route.  These are all great tips and will require some follow up to try. 

Basically, the type of mic and mic position is the key.  In live television, I have successfully used an omni-directional lavalier mic to pic up the voice and guitar.  If placed properly the voice picks up a little clearer than the guitar and makes for a nice "mix".  However, I prefer the idea of having the mics directly in front and facing the instruments if in a controlled setting. 

Should we shoot in the recording studio, it will be primarily for the video production.  So, access will not be an issue.  This is a home recording situation (in a Yurt) and we thought the mixed audio would be best for the audio track.  I'd get various angles and closeups of the action and edit those together after the fact.  This is where the information about how to patch in the feed to my computer and good apps will be crucial.

Overall,  this info was perfect in getting me going in the right direction.  Much appreciation for all the expertise and personal experiences in high-end, as well as low-end shared here.  These tips will help me make the best choices for the project.  What a great resource!  I may experiment with some of these ideas this weekend.  I am scheduled to shoot some live performance video and it's just for fun. 

Thanks All...BTW:  It's Ms. Erin Walsh;-)

Erin Walsh

rumleymusic
Re: Recommendations on Live Music Recording 2014/03/18 12:33:58 (permalink)
Thanks All...BTW:  It's Ms. Erin Walsh;-)

Edited,  apologies, I didn't read your name.    

Daniel Rumley
www.rumleymusic.com
BoostSoftware
Re: Recommendations on Live Music Recording 2014/04/01 12:37:30 (permalink)
No Prob.....Guess I need to get my pic up there!

Erin Walsh

Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: Recommendations on Live Music Recording 2014/04/01 14:24:12 (permalink)
Erin, I think you've gotten all the advice you need so I don't want to cloud the info any more. My reason for posting is due to having just done a professional video with a company. I was the performer this time around....but one of the things they didn't do, is super crucial and I'd like to share the experience with you just to feed your head.

So this video company is scheduled to video my Van Halen tribute band. We've seen their work and were quite impressed. We come to find out we know a guy that knows the owner of the company, he makes a call, we get a killer deal.

We get to the show and they had live feeds coming from the mixer our soundman was using which was a Behringer X32. Whatever connections they used, everything went right into their MAC from the board and we had 24 tracks of audio. The sound came out great....and this is where the problem is...

The sound was TOO great and sounded like the band playing live in a studio. For some stupid reason, they didn't set up ANY mic's to capture the room. We had a crowd of about 800 people and they sounded like 800 people crammed into a jail cell in mono. It's absolutely horrible and incredibly unforgiving for the band because our mistakes that night were plentiful, unfortunately.

So my reason for stopping by your thread is to tell you to definitely try and capture the room as best as you can just so the outs you take from the board do not make the band sound like they recorded live in a studio. Also, be careful as to WHERE you place those mics and coordinate with any light people or special effects people.

Another mistake this company made was....there wasn't any coordination with anyone other than asking the soundman where they could patch in. We have smoke machines making sssssssssssssssss sounds in some of the audio.....and a list of other things that should have never made it.

Luckily for me...and this is why having all the tracks are important, I have control over all the audio and can manipulate some of the problem areas. However, I CANNOT do much to the actual room nor can I bring the crowd to life like I had hoped because they didn't use ANY mic's to capture the room other than what bled through our vocal mic's. If it were me, I would have ran 5 mic's on the entire venue. Picture a square....a mic on each corner and one in the center getting the back of the room. It may be over-kill, but I'd rather have more than EVER leave a band sounding stagnant and like they were playing live in a studio. Without the room....the sound is nothing special and won't even give you the feeling the band is live...even though you SEE it. We're so disappointed in the stuff we got, me and the owner had it out to where he dropped the price even more because I just wasn't going to pay for that. It's ruined all our plans for this video.

So remember all this stuff as it (to me at least) is super important. The console feeds are great...especially when you have a great soundman and a great recording computer/DAW. But because they are so good, they can also be stale sounding if you're not careful and VERY unforgiving because everything is so up front. Dubbing in a crowd or putting the whole project in a "room" using verb or impulses can help, but it's not the same as truly capturing the room as well as the live essence of being at the show. So be careful, make a check-list and don't forget to mic the room! Best of luck to you. :)

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
BoostSoftware
Re: Recommendations on Live Music Recording 2014/04/13 12:43:20 (permalink)
Great tips and pointers, Danny.

Sorry your band had to go thru such a painful production nightmare.  Those folks sounded like they really had it together with the patching and getting all the tracks down.  I just can not believe they didn't mix in some ambiance.  Seems like a no-brainer, but also goes to show how real pro's can make silly, and costly, mistakes.  No way you can add that kind of feel and vibe in post-production!  I feel your pain:-(

However, you encouraged me about finding the right software to take a line feed directly into my Mac.  I do believe this will be the most productive way for me to go.  (with added mics for room and crowd sound;-)

Geez...there's so much to consider.  I've appreciated all the info I've received up here; and, encouragement.  Just need to spend a little more time shopping and practicing before I am ready to "go live".

Great Stuff,
Erin

Erin Walsh

rumleymusic
Re: Recommendations on Live Music Recording 2014/04/13 17:50:23 (permalink)
A little controllable room ambiance is nice.  Personally, I try my hardest to be completely self sufficient on location.  Ideally never patching into house systems or giving an unknown sound-person control of your audio.  I did one "modern" music concert recently where I had no choice but to use a feed of prerecorded laptop audio sent to me by the group's LSR system (also a Behringer X32 coincidentally, but rack).  Unfortunately some of the audio was so compressed by the time it reached me it was distorted and unusable.  I was able to get a hold of the original files and replace it.  

Results Here:
http://www.instantencore.com/music/details.aspx?PId=5110329

So for the most part, whatever is going through a house speaker system, you should avoid recording much of.  And whatever shared elements there are, make sure you have control of it and multi track.

Daniel Rumley
www.rumleymusic.com
BoostSoftware
Re: Recommendations on Live Music Recording 2014/04/17 22:21:23 (permalink)
Geez...I hear what you mean.  Some of that stuff is pretty cool up there, actually.  I like the Cathode Campfire concept.  That was a rough recording.  Good suggestions.  Do you set up a sound booth outside of the venue to hear what you are actually getting?  You really pulled out that art performance audio.  Thanks for the input on this.  It's important to me.

Erin Walsh

rumleymusic
Re: Recommendations on Live Music Recording 2014/04/18 00:10:41 (permalink)
I usually don't get a quiet room on location and do the best I can with good closed back headphones.  
This is a look at the crazy venue.  It took about 5 hours to setup and coordinate everything.  The best advice I can give anyone doing location work is give yourself at least 3 hours to setup before the start.  More for complicated concerts.  

Daniel Rumley
www.rumleymusic.com
Rimshot
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re: Recommendations on Live Music Recording 2014/04/22 16:16:25 (permalink)
Danny Danzi

The sound was TOO great and sounded like the band playing live in a studio. For some stupid reason, they didn't set up ANY mic's to capture the room. We had a crowd of about 800 people and they sounded like 800 people crammed into a jail cell in mono. It's absolutely horrible and incredibly unforgiving for the band because our mistakes that night were plentiful, unfortunately.

-Danny

Great advice Danny!  This also comes down to "knowing your venue".  When I played in Amsterdam with Sue Saad & The Next (with Crocus), we were recorded live with a 24 track mobile truck.  It also sounded like the studio and we also did not play super well.  I had to nix the whole recording.  It could have gone well with engineers that new what needed to be done to capture the "energy" of the event - no just standard micing techniques.

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
, OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1