Record Latency Adjustment (samples) setting in X2

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Guitarmech111
Max Output Level: -24.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5085
Re:Record Latency Adjustment (samples) setting in X2 2013/04/12 11:29:01 (permalink)
jhughs

Here's the response I got from Tech Support.  Just shutting off "Use ASIO Reported Latency" pretty much solved it, but I never had to do that before (going all the way back Home Studio XL).

"Please make sure to shut off your "Use ASIO Reported Latency" is turned off.
After this make sure that your Playback I/O Buffer Size(KB) is set to 2048(Maxed Out) and go to Edit|Preferences(advanced tab)|MIDI|Playback and Recording and make sure that under "Prepare Using ____ Millisecond Buffers" is set to 1000."

Cakewalk just needs to FIX THE PROBLEM. Or have all the brilliant minds left Cakewalk already?

Peace,
Conley Shepherd
Joyful Noise Productions
PC config: (Win performance base score = 7.7) ASUS Sabertooth 990 FX -amd fx-8150 - core processor am3+ - 32G Corsair 1066 DDR3 - PNY GTX670 2g gddr5 - Corsair Force SSD 120G - Samsung 750G SATA drives - WD 1tb Black (Audio files) - WD 2TB for storage - RME UFX - USB ASIO 2/2016 drivers Win8 

Without a mess, there is no message
brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
Re:Record Latency Adjustment (samples) setting in X2 2013/04/12 14:36:32 (permalink)
robert_e_bone

Let me sum this up for you.

Please get it out of your head that you need to deal with using this parameter.  It is NOT needed for what you are doing.

Every single one of us needs our tracks lined up properly, and guess what - they BUILT Sonar to handle this automatically, by using the automatic setting you see there.  Sonar queries your interface to ask about latency, and your interface tells Sonar whatever that value is, and then Sonar factors that (properly, I might add) to the recording process, which is the only place this parameter has any meaning anyways.

MULTIPLE posters here have told you to not make manual adjustments to this, and yet you persist down the path of trying to use the parameter.

You asked for advice, then a bunch of folks all independently told you the same thing, and yet you don't accept it?  Really?

It does not matter if it is a wav file, an MP3 file, or any other kind of file, nor whether or not you recorded it or imported it.  It just WORKS.

Bob Bone

Bob makes a good point here, but personally, even the reported latency from my ASIO interface isn't accurate enough for me. In my case, the reported latency is still about 50 samples off. I end up going through an exercise that gets the latency corrected to the sample, and it's perfect. What I end up doing is this:

1) Enable the measured latency from the ASIO driver, and let Sonar measure the reported latency field in Preferences. You may have to restart Sonar for this to occur in some cases.

2) Next, In a new project (blank) I will set up the metronome to play, while recording it onto a track, by way of using an audio cable of at least 20' plugged into the output of the played track to the input of the recording track. Make sure the input Gain of the armed track will be high enough to match the volume the metronome plays.

3) Record the metronome onto the new track (because now it's an audio signal). One or two clicks is all you need.

4) Repeat this for a another record track (Track 2) by playing back the previously recorded metronome (disable metronome playback itself, btw) into the input mapped to a newly armed track. Make sure Track 1 is not longer armed to record. 

5) After recording a few clicks, stop. Then, zoom way in to see the samples. Find a perfectly identify-able part of the click waveform that matches on both Track 1 and Track 2. 

6) Setting the Now Time ruler to display "samples", you can measure the difference between reported latency and the actual latency. In my case, this comes in about 50 samples difference. 

7) In the Preferences pane (and I don't recall the left-hand column section) with the ASIO reported latency displayed (ensure you have the right audio interface selected in the pull-down), add the measured # of samples in Step 6 in the Manual Offset field. Click Apply.

8) Now, when you play back Track 1 into a newly armed recording track, it should match up perfectly to the sample. 

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
DeeringAmps
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2614
Re:Record Latency Adjustment (samples) setting in X2 2013/04/13 11:09:01 (permalink)
Brian,
Some kind of "loop back" test is indeed necessary to verify that Sonar is handling the offset correctly; yours works.
My FW-1884 and RME UFX test "spot on" with reported latency.
Trouble starts when you "Punch In" while looping the track in X1 or X2.
The first take is spot on, after that, each take is progressively farther off.
8.5.3 is spot on when you "Punch In/Out"; all takes.

The work around in the X series; DON'T PUNCH IN.
Just loop record and then "trim" the roll in and roll out.
Up to now I thought the X1d was a "Robust and Mature Professional DAW".
Now I'm kinda nervous about it...

Where or where is X2b???

T

Tom Deering
Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
Guitarmech111
Max Output Level: -24.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5085
Re:Record Latency Adjustment (samples) setting in X2 2013/04/15 15:13:39 (permalink)
I reported a few issues that need correction for an X2b. I would like to see it before having to upgrade to X3. It kinda concerns me that Cakewalk is sending out snail mail letters for people to upgrade to X2 even though they already own it. This tells me that they don't have a finger on the pulse of the user base. I would appreciate any upgrade deals, but I would rather have a stable DAW that will accomodate my work flow.

They are paying too much attention to the bells and whistles and not the one who shakes the bell and blows the whistle....

Peace,
Conley Shepherd
Joyful Noise Productions
PC config: (Win performance base score = 7.7) ASUS Sabertooth 990 FX -amd fx-8150 - core processor am3+ - 32G Corsair 1066 DDR3 - PNY GTX670 2g gddr5 - Corsair Force SSD 120G - Samsung 750G SATA drives - WD 1tb Black (Audio files) - WD 2TB for storage - RME UFX - USB ASIO 2/2016 drivers Win8 

Without a mess, there is no message
brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
Re:Record Latency Adjustment (samples) setting in X2 2013/04/15 15:38:39 (permalink)
Guitarmech111

They are paying too much attention to the bells and whistles and not the one who shakes the bell and blows the whistle.... 
I like that one. 

One issue I have with the bug-report tool is this: It requires a lot of information up-front, not much of a knowledge-base and no feedback. One would think that if Cakewalk were to at least detail bugs they've found on the site, this could dramatically improve the moods on the board.

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
freaksarise
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41
Re:Record Latency Adjustment (samples) setting in X2 2013/05/15 17:26:58 (permalink)
Rob Gandy's OTHER friend comes through again (Danny!). Can't wait to try this solution out at home. Thanks a ton man!!!!!!
Rich (Rob's other friend)
kzmaier
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 461
Re:Record Latency Adjustment (samples) setting in X2 2013/05/15 21:25:43 (permalink)
I also have to do a manual calibration. Be it my system is old or a feature of my m-audio audiophile 192 asio driver. I loopback the audio interface and adjust the offset for recording as well as the offset for Session Drummer 3. I'm running Sx1 on my daw and Sx2 on wifes laptop. It would be SUPER if Cakewalk could put in a auto-calibration option. It seems like it wouldn't be to hard and would help out those who need it. This would be my number 1 request of the bakers. I don't ask for much and am a long time fanboy.

Best Regards,
Ken
Bandlab Cakewalk - i5/8G Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Boss gt001

www.reverbnation.com/kzmaier

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1