Record at home, mix in a studio

Author
Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
2017/03/20 17:45:31 (permalink)

Record at home, mix in a studio

That's my general plan for self-written projects that I plan to put up for sale.
I can write, perform, and record reasonably well, but mixing is a weak point for me.  Made worse by the fact that i've chosen every note and tone in every song.

This weekend was my first mixing session (for this years-in-the-making project) with the amazing engineer/producer that mixed my last project.  I brought in uneffected WAV files for every track, and he glued them together.
I'm incredibly excited - with fresh ears and an alternate opinion, he's breathed new excitement into tracks that had been made stale by my years of tweaking.  Plus, we changed some arrangements and re-performed a couple of the tracks to kick them up above the level I'd have been happy to end with.

From what I see here, most of us are writing and recording in isolation.  I'm remembering how valuable it is to have a second, trusted, opinion.

My next mixing session is a month away, but I'm already looking forward to it! I'm already frustrated that I can't email out these unmastered 1st mixes (that will probably be tweaked a little when the whole album is done), but I want to wait until it's a whole "fait accompli."

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.

6 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Record at home, mix in a studio 2017/03/21 12:33:55 (permalink)
    Slugbaby

From what I see here, most of us are writing and recording in isolation.  I'm remembering how valuable it is to have a second, trusted, opinion.

Yes.  Second opinion.  That's what makes collaborations so great.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Bhav
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 887
    Re: Record at home, mix in a studio 2017/03/21 14:40:51 (permalink)
    If only I had someone who was totally pro to produce all my song ideas Id have been rich by now.

I7 6850k, Asus RV10E, 32 Gb ram, SLI GTX 980 Ti, Creative Soundblaster Z, Yamaha DGX 630, Creative Aurvana Platinum headphones.
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re: Record at home, mix in a studio 2017/03/21 14:50:41 (permalink)
    Bhav
    If only I had someone who was totally pro to produce all my song ideas Id have been rich by now.

It really makes a difference.
    On my last project, I brought in a song that was (intentionally) very mechanical.  A driving, monotonous drum machine with an overdriven acoustic guitar.
    The engineer asked if he could try a piano line he was imagining.  He added a great “Stevie Wonder-esque” electric piano line.  I loved it.  But now I was hearing a tambourine rhythm and funky electric guitar line.
    He changed an angry slimmed-down song into a whole new thing, with soul and rhythm.  Not at all what I’d expected, but it went from being my least favourite track to the top of the list!

I'm still far from rich, but his input certainly helped.  The album sounded so good that I actually broke even from online sales!  I guess in this field, not losing money is a form of "being rich."

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Record at home, mix in a studio 2017/03/21 16:47:24 (permalink)
    I'm rich in VSTs.
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Record at home, mix in a studio 2017/03/21 18:45:19 (permalink)
    We'll all be rich when we stop making demos and start doing it properly.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Record at home, mix in a studio 2017/03/21 19:17:26 (permalink)
    jamesg1213
    We'll all be rich when we stop making demos and start doing it properly.

I only wish there was sumjuan to tell us the difference.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1