Recording 2 guitar tracks..odd phaser like sound..any tips

Author
kook
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 82
2018/02/16 02:42:57 (permalink)

Recording 2 guitar tracks..odd phaser like sound..any tips

So im recording a guitar track...then i record the same licks with a different amp+guitar...when i play them back together they sound really odd kinda like a phaser or chourus pedal..i even tried one track direct same thing..and i tried the phase button...i have heard this same type sound b4 when i doubled a track ...im sure you guys know what i mean..any tips ?? ..i tried nudging one track..it seemed a little better but still that same.."in a coffee can" kinda sound..
Ty guys

4 Replies Related Threads

Kamikaze
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3013
    Re: Recording 2 guitar tracks..odd phaser like sound..any tips 2018/02/16 05:37:53 (permalink)
    pan them apart

TheSteven
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2037
    Re: Recording 2 guitar tracks..odd phaser like sound..any tips 2018/02/16 15:01:16 (permalink)
    If the tracks are a phasing when combined it means that in spite of using different guitars and / or amps the tracks are still nearly identical.  It could be that you playing is very precise or that effects like overdrive or distortion are eliminating the nuances that differentiate the tracks.

1) Try using offsetting one of the tracks
    For example you can a free plugin from Voxengo
    http://www.voxengo.com/product/sounddelay/
    You already mentioned you tried nudging one of the tracks so this might not make a difference but it's worth a try and it's easy to undo.

2) If you are using a lot of overdrive/distortion on the guitars try dialing it back a bit.

3) Play the additional track differently - more/less vibrato, just a little bit looser on the timing, different location on the neck, etc.

4) As Kimakze mentioned pan the tracks to opposite sides.
    That works great if you limit the number of doubled tracks or if mono compatibility isn't a problem.

5) Re-evaluate why you need the part(s) doubled.
    Would that part work just as well or better with different tone or just a bit of delay and verb?

post edited by TheSteven - 2018/02/16 15:30:13

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
    My Tunes
    kook
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 82
    Re: Recording 2 guitar tracks..odd phaser like sound..any tips 2018/02/16 17:04:18 (permalink)
    Ty guys..zero over drive..just a couple vintage amps just pushed to breakup, Ive tried the tracks panned l and r, still sounds odd...i think im just playing the same riff too precisely as mentioned..if i discover its something different i will update..gonna try some different mic placement tonight....
    sharke
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Recording 2 guitar tracks..odd phaser like sound..any tips 2018/02/17 22:47:40 (permalink)
    Yeah playing too precisely is not such a good idea if you want to achieve separation between them, e.g. if you're looking to create stereo width. I watched a Dave Pensado course about recording vocalists recently and he had this girl in the studio with really great technique, and her "party trick" is that she can double a vocal so precisely - without even using the previous track as a reference - so that a phase effect is created. Pretty neat. 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1