Recording Guitars

Author
Mock
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 70
2008/09/07 16:18:23 (permalink)

Recording Guitars

Hey guys I have a guitar recording question. Right now I'm running my guitar thru a Didi-Tech RP80. I run the 1/8" pin jack out to my computers sound card and then use the 1/4" out to my amp as a monitor. the sound quality is OK, but could I due better running thru another interface such as a Line 6 tone port? also if I use somthing like a tone port could I then use my guitar to trigger the midi or soft synth's ( I don't really know what the midi or soft synths are but am assuming that you need to trigger then with something like a keyboard). Thank You, Jim.

20 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Recording Guitars 2008/09/07 16:34:34 (permalink)
    Yes, you'd get better quality using a quality sound card like the tone port, but no you can't trigger softsynths with your guitar. you have to use a keyboard or midi controller for that. there are MIDI GUITARS available or you can modify your guitar by adding a "MIDI PICKUP" but both of those are expensive.

you can also enter MIDI just using your mouse. work thru the tutorials in MC and it will explain to you how to use the mouse, STAFF VIEW and Piano Roll view and how to use softsynths without a controller, or you could purchase a MIDI controller (such as the MIDI PICKUPS or a KEYBOARD) and use that instead.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Recording Guitars 2008/09/07 17:07:08 (permalink)
    You want to eventually have a nice pair of studio reference monitors to monitor your tracks and recording process...

You also use a midi device like a keyboard (most common) to trigger the midi soft synths. The SS don't respond to audio...only the DATA put out by the midi device.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Recording Guitars 2008/09/07 17:22:50 (permalink)
    Jim,
    Are you working with a laptop or desktop PC?
    You would want a Toneport UX2 to take advantage of the stereo output from the RP-80.
    If you are working with a PC, an internal PCI card with an external mixer is an option.
    The 1/4" outs on the RP-80 don't seem to be line level, and some form of preamp is needed.
    I'm running both 1/4" outputs from the RP-80 to a stereo input on a mixer(some of those effects are stereo).
    The preamp in the mixer boosts the signal, which in turn goes to the inputs of my E-MU0404. This is just one of many hardware options you have.
    As you have noted, the sound from the RP-80 is ok, but could be better. I run it through an additional amp sim, usually FreeAmp2, to fatten it up. This pretty much requires that you have a decent sound card/interface, as the latency from the built-in sound card will make this almost unbearable.
    post edited by RobertB - 2008/09/07 17:24:09

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Mock
    RE: Recording Guitars 2008/09/07 18:34:45 (permalink)
    Thanks Guys for responding to my post. To answer your question Rob, I'm running MC4 in My wife's Toshiba Satallite lap top with a realtec sound card. I know it's not the best set up but it's what I have right now. I will be up grading after January and I will be seeking advice on systems when I do. I'm not a real computer or electrinics kinda guy so most of what you wrote went waaaaaaaay over my head. As a Guitarist I'm just a noodler (church mostly) and this is just a hobbie so I don't know how much money my wife will let me invest. GuitarHacker you mentioned Studio Monitors. What are they and how do you use them?
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Recording Guitars 2008/09/07 18:42:06 (permalink)
    Get a better sound interface before upgrading the speakers. But they are speakers designed for a flat frequency response with no sonic colorations, so you can hear what is actually recorded without the added bassiness most consumer speakers have. And an interface will (probably) be cheaper than reference monitors.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Mock
    RE: Recording Guitars 2008/09/07 18:46:40 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advice Beagle, when I first installed the program I went thru the videos and the help section, but I really got overwhelmed by the information. I managed to record four audio tracks thanks in large part to the information I found on the forum. I was pretty excited it sounded pretty good thru my head phones but when I burned it to disc it was really muddy and the sound was low. I will go thru the tutorials again and slow down. Once again thank you, Jim.
    Mock
    RE: Recording Guitars 2008/09/07 20:14:27 (permalink)
    Thanks Greg, but what do you mean by sound iterface? are you talking about the sound card or somthing like the Line 6 pod or tone port? A better way to get my guitars signal to the computer?
    57Gregy
    RE: Recording Guitars 2008/09/07 23:12:42 (permalink)
    Yes. Although the term 'sound card' is used a lot, 'audio interface' generally refers to a higher-quality device designed for recording, not just for making the beeps and dings that the computer needs to make. Plus, most audio interfaces don't have MIDI synthesizers in them, while sound cards usually do. The Pod and Toneport are considered interfaces between your instrument or microphone and the computer.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.

Freeze1st
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1213
    RE: Recording Guitars 2008/09/08 17:35:12 (permalink)
    This has me questioning the Sound card that I have : "M-Audiophile Delta 2496", I mean it seems to do what I have wanted it to do so far, and haven't heard many complaints aside from my playing when recording.

It think it's important to remember that more times than not a good quality sound card is more than just something that plays back music for you, it also is a means of input to record your music with. Sorry if this has already been explained, I kinda went to the end of the thread and haven't had time to read everything as of now.

Am I good for now with what I have with my sound card? Is it garbage or will it do a good 24 bit recording Job in your opinion using it? I'm talking about personal experience and if you have upgraded then why and how much of a difference does it make? I am talking about recording 24 Bit and not 16, I can tell a difference myself to be honest. Just thought I would mention that.

One last question : "Can you make a fine quality PRO-Sounding CD" that was recorded with the M-Audiophile Delta 2496. Or do pro's use it that you might know of? What's the bottom line :

Is it garbage where I should just give up and spend 2000 dollars that I don't have or what?

Bobby

MC4,Bossbr1600,Maudio2496,Vista HP, Stinger Electric Guitar,New York Pro Bass, MXL V67
    RobertB
    RE: Recording Guitars 2008/09/08 21:02:30 (permalink)
    No need to ditch the 2496, Bobby.
    It's a decent sound card, comperable to my E-MU0404, which I am quite happy with. These cards would probably not be seen in a pro studio, but they are very good solutions for the home recordist. They offer a slight performance advantage over USB and Firewire sollutions, but even that can be splitting hairs. For 24 bit, you are in pretty good shape. The fact that you can hear the difference, tells you your sound card is handling the difference.
    Sure, you could spend a lot of money on a really nice card. It's a lot like car engines. It'e easy to get 140hp from a 2 litre 4 cylinder engine.
    180hp gets kind of expensive, and if you really want to spend some bucks, 250hp can be done. Do you need it? Probably not.
    You have good hardware to work with. The biggest improvements in sound quality will come from learning how to use the tools you have.
    You are getting good sound in. Keep working on your mixing skills. This is where the sound quality really comes from.
    Yeah, I know it can be tedious, but it's worth it.
    A deep shine starts with the primer coat. You have to follow it through.
    Your 2496 gives you a good primer coat. It's up to you to apply the paint.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Freeze1st
    RE: Recording Guitars 2008/09/09 19:35:58 (permalink)
    Thanks RobertB!!!! That's a great comparison and explanation as to what I have. I feel a lot better about it now. The main reason I was asking is I don't wanna put a lot of time into many recordings without knowing I have a good sound card, or I guess what I am trying to say waste time and find out later I could have spent a couple hundred bucks more and the sound qaulity would have been so much better.

I should point out that I think Robomusic and perhaps you or beagle and maybe 57gregy told me about using this soundcard w/24bit recording, yeah I know it ussually always get's mixed down to 16 bit but I can tell a huge difference. I wish 24 would become a standard because I have purchased a few cd's as of late and they are revamped in 24 bit and I have compared them to the 16 bit version I have and the difference is unbelievable in sound qaulity. Yeah I know they are using pro. equiptment and all, but I've tried recording a few things in 16 bit and 24 and I can tell a huge difference.

Anyway thanks again, I feel a lot better reading that information from you because I know you know what you are talking about and have helped me a lot with multiple problems that I have had in the past.

Thanks again!!!!

Bobby

MC4,Bossbr1600,Maudio2496,Vista HP, Stinger Electric Guitar,New York Pro Bass, MXL V67
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Recording Guitars 2008/09/09 19:50:04 (permalink)
    I never record at less than 24 bit, think of it like a romm with a 8 foot ceiling verses a 10 foot ceiling it just has more room for the wave file to fit without clipping or hitting the ceiling.

Actually i record most of my work now at 32 bit fixed point. The reason is that it dithers down to 16 bit for CD burning better. Remember all processing at the digital level is Math!

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Freeze1st
    RE: Recording Guitars 2008/09/09 20:48:50 (permalink)
    I can't thank you enough for your information Robomusic! I believe you were the first person that mentioned that to me about recording with my setup and you were right on the money!!! Although I had a few tech. probs. that's where RobertB and Beagle and 57Gregy and Guitarhacker, and I hope I ain't leaving anyone out to say thanks to!!!!!!! I have a lot to learn about this recording stuff digital wise, I know a little about Analog recording or that is with a cassette 4 track yamaha, "Well I had an old 4 track cassette recorder back in the late 80's that bit the dust", I gotta get another one though that will play what I have left in tapes and some old master tracks that is, I have mixdowns but there's a lot I didn't mixdown. Any thoughts anyone as to what might work with an old Yamaha 4 track from that time error? I wish I could give a model number but I took that thing apart trying to fix it and it ended up in the dump, I've kept the master cassette tapes from that time though. Too much to explain about the warranty and the crappy people I purchased it from at the time to explain, I purchased it new and was young and stupid. That should probably explain it best. Well I still have the stupid part down but the young thing is I'm old enough to know better now. Let me put it that way.

Bobby

RobertB
    RE: Recording Guitars 2008/09/09 21:12:55 (permalink)
    The biggest problem is going to be getting tracks 3 and 4 to play forward.
    I've never tried it, but you might be able to import these into MC4, and reverse them from the Process menu.
    No guarantees, but worth a shot.

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Freeze1st
    RE: Recording Guitars 2008/09/09 21:26:43 (permalink)
    Thanks RobertB! I think it was an MT series 4 track cassette recorder player but I'm not sure, although I feel pretty confident it was. I guess I need to do some research myself and when I see it I will know it just by looking at the pictures. Maybe I can pick one up off of ebay or something that is compat.

Thanks again.

Bobby

post edited by Freeze1st - 2008/09/09 21:27:30

Guitarhacker
    RE: Recording Guitars 2008/09/09 21:29:25 (permalink)
    Freeze...check on Ebay...people sell old stuff there all the time...and if you can find it..an old 4 track tape machine should be had for very little....and any 4 track tape machine should work just fine to get that stuff off the machine..

Having said that.... you might want to just start from scratch on the digital...and here's why...

first reason... tapes lose their magnetism over time. I think the useful life of a tape is about 10 yrs before noticable degradation sets in.
    Secondly, unless the tape was stored wound all the way to the end...another issue can occur. I have heard this on my own tapes. As the tape sets there....literally layer on layer as it wraps around the reel (R2R & cassettes) the tape's magnetism affects the layer directly next to it, and over time, induces a "ghost image" onto the ajoining layer.....usually not a big problem unless there are quite parts in the song that lay next to loud parts. Storing the tape wound to the end places all ghosts after their original locations so the song beginnings are normally quite, and ghost free.
    Third, improper storage...temp & humidity...can make a tape useless.

BMI/NSAI

Freeze1st
    RE: Recording Guitars 2008/09/09 22:06:35 (permalink)
    Thanks Guitarhacker! I'm gonna start looking around on Ebay and a few other places and see if I can find something that will play these master cassettes. I have several mixdown tapes of a several songs but not all of them. The thing I should have mentioned and neglected to do so is that there are some songs that I have just forgotten about because it's been so long ago when I recorded them. I mean I got outa music for a long time. I'm not gonna get into that topic because it wasn't a good time toward the end. I do however have to say thankyou for the advice! I think it was an MT400 but I am not sure. I hate going through this old stuff to be honest with you, I like some of the stuff but I really can't stand some of the other things I done at the time. It brings back good and bad memories even though I am the only one playing on almost all the tracks on the recordings. The thing that bugs me the most is that the stuff I really can't stand is the stuff that I have people to this day seem to be wanting me to record and hear more of..... I wanna move forward, but I can't give up the past because there was however some cool tunes I done then at that time, nothing fancy. Thing is : "I don't wanna try and live up to some reputation", I just wanna be a songwriter/player/sometimes performer and singer. I gotta live in the now, but how can you look forward without learning from the past......

Dang! I sound like someone running for President or something.... I practiced tonight for the first time in a long time, well my method of practice wasn't the norm. as always, I worked on playing Battle Axe by Carlos Cavazo from Quiet Riot. It was fun, and I guess that's all that matters in the end. JMO.......

Bobby

57Gregy
    RE: Recording Guitars 2008/09/09 22:34:51 (permalink)
    Another thing you need to remember when buying a 4-track tape deck, what speed were the original tapes recorded? I don't know if it's standard, but my Portastudio plays/records at twice the speed of a normal cassette deck to help with noise reduction.
    I wouldn't want you to buy an Ebay deck and discover that it's the wrong speed.
    post edited by 57Gregy - 2008/09/10 17:22:49

Greg 

Guitarhacker
    RE: Recording Guitars 2008/09/10 07:37:40 (permalink)
    Greg...you are right.... I had a Tascam porta-one that recorded at double speed ....like you said, to reduce noise.

Freeze..... I hear what your saying about having forgotten the songs completely.... I have a few like that.... still have the words in a notebook but I never recorded the music....

Actually I have started to record a few of those older songs that I still remember AND are decent. Hanging Around was one of them.

So find an old 4track and listen to the old stuff.

BMI/NSAI

Freeze1st
    RE: Recording Guitars 2008/09/11 23:39:34 (permalink)
    Well, I done a little research trying to find out which Yamaha Multitrack cassette recorder 4 track that I used to have a long time ago. I found out that I used to have a Yamaha MT100 4 track cassette recorder. I saw it in a U-tube video. I have a lot of master tapes from the 80's I recorded several songs on with that same type of Multitrack Cassette recorder. I found on U-tube there were some people playing around with the same kinda recorder I used to have and recognized it right away when I saw it. The only problem is I can't find any place or anyone who has it for sell. I'm not really sure if there is another cassette player out there or not that might play the old Master Cassette tapes that I made with that unit. Just wondering if anyone might know?

I do remember it having variable speed selections. I recognized it right away when I saw the Utube video. Here's a link for anyone who might know what I might could purchase for the purpose of hearing and mixing down these old master tapes that I have : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAS27CbvaSI&feature=related This is very important for me to get something to mix these old master tapes down with because there are several songs I done 20 years or so ago that I don't remember recording and would like to hear them or those versions again I should say.

Anyway, just thought I would mention this because I am at a loss on this tech. stuff for playing back and finding a player that will work with my old masters from that recorder I had a long time ago......

Bobby

post edited by Freeze1st - 2008/09/12 10:59:58

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1