Recording Issues

Author
aaaa7xxxx
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2010/07/11 20:29:27 (permalink)

Recording Issues

I have Music Creator 5. Whenever i record, i get a static when i stack guitars on different speakers. For example, if i have one guitar in the center speaker, and then a 2 more guitars on the left and right, i will get a static. Or if i try and overlap two guitars on the center channel i will also get it. 

I have a 30 watt Peavey Vypyr. I have an auxilary cable going from the record out on my amp to the mic on my computer. Is there a setting on the program i should change? Or am i going to need an interface for it? Or possibly a sound card problem? Anything helps, thanks.

3 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Recording Issues 2010/07/11 20:41:51 (permalink)
    are you trying to do surround sound?  how exactly are you putting a guitar in the center speaker but not in the left and right ones?  there's no surround sound mixing capabilites in MC, you have to have sonar for that and you can't put anything in just the center speaker without surround sound mixing.

also, static is likely due to your signal path.  your output from the amp is LINE and you're putting into a MIC input on your soundcard.  that's improper gain staging and will likely cause static/noise and improper voltage levels.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Recording Issues 2010/07/11 21:50:24 (permalink)
    a7x..... what sound card are you using?   I'm thinking this is a sound card issue...... factory cards cause static in some instances. Increase the latency and buffers and see if that helps.

Ultimately..... you'll want to upgrade to a better sound card.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Recording Issues 2010/07/12 00:13:15 (permalink)
    I'm inclined to think gain stage and/or cumulative clipping.
    If your computer has only the one input, it may be software switchable ( in Windows) to line level.
    Sending a fairly hot line level signal to the mic input will almost certainly cause digital clipping (too much gain from the built-in mic preamp)
    This tends to sound a lot like static.
    Since it isn't noticeable until the second guitar is added, your cumulative levels may be too high.
    Record loud enough that you get a good, clean signal, but don't try to make everything louder than everything else.
    That doesn't work in the digital realm.
    I just bumped a thread on recording levels that may be of some help.
    And yes, a decent sound card/ interface can make the whole thing much easier to work with.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1