Recording Level Question

Author
BMOG
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 638
2016/09/27 10:13:13 (permalink)

Recording Level Question

Is it possible to record a vocal and have the level set for the recording but send a different volume mix for other band members. I am trying to determine if this Yamaha 01V96I is capable of recording 4 people at once. The input part I have solved, the monitor mixes I have solved but what I don't have solved is once a track is being recorded I don't see a way to control that track until after it is recorded.  Is there a way to achieve controlling the level during the recording via Plat?

www.jsuntylermusic.com
Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBWfLp0D4F0l_YWiQpN5AN_HbSpaIe8bk
Sonar Platinum |ASUS Desktop PC|Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.6GHz|8 GM of Memory|64Bit|Yamaha 01v96i|Motu MK3 Ultralite not active|Roland Octa Capture not active|Motif XS7|Ravenscroft 275 VST|KOMPLETE 10

7 Replies Related Threads

batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Recording Level Question 2016/09/27 10:53:55 (permalink)
    you can do this type of routing internally in the RME babyface pro
    with their 'totalmix' software

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: Recording Level Question 2016/09/27 12:10:08 (permalink)
    don't know about the Yamaha 01V96I, but the OctaCapture from your signature can do that quite easily

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Recording Level Question 2016/09/27 16:41:43 (permalink)
    batsbrew
    you can do this type of routing internally in the RME babyface pro
    with their 'totalmix' software

Excellent advice for the guy that owns a Roland Octa Capture.
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Recording Level Question 2016/09/27 16:42:10 (permalink)
    Rob[atSound-Rehab]
    the OctaCapture from your signature can do that quite easily

There you go....
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Recording Level Question 2016/09/27 17:01:48 (permalink)
    I have got the older Yamaha 01V digital mixer.  I may be able to help.

I am not exactly sure what you are trying to do but I am assuming you want to be able to adjust the record level from a channel as it enters the DAW is that correct.

I presume you have got the digital connection between the mixer and your DAW. 

There are some tricky routings that this mixer can do and yes it may be possible.  I assume you have a microphone connected to a channel and have set the input gain etc correctly.  And you are using the sends to create the various monitor mixes etc.  And without touching the input levels etc you want to be able to control the level going into your DAW at the same time.

One possible method is in how you assign your channel destinations.  When you press the Pan/Routing button you could assign the channel to Buss 1 for example.  Leave it on Stereo as well. Then switch pages here until you get to the Buss masters page.  Here you can alter the Buss 1 master fader.  You can only lower this level though not increase it.  It is normally on full up.

On your Option IN/OUT page you can determine digitally what goes over from the mixer to the DAW here. Instead of selecting the channel select Buss 1 instead.  Now Buss 1 will be feeding your DAW. (which is not normally the case) You could use your Buss 1 master fader then to reduce the level to your DAW.

The 01V has 4 buses so you could do this with 4 sources at the same time.

Another option is inside your DAW but only if it can do it.  I use Studio One and they have a rather cool feature.  You can open up a page that shows you the incoming input channels.  (level meters)  So you are actually looking at the signals before they even arrive at the tracks for recording.  Plugins can be inserted here and effect the signal before it even arrives at the track.  Can you guys do this is in Sonar?  If so you could insert a volume control plug right there and have total control over the incoming track recording level.
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2016/09/27 17:30:14

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    BMOG
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 638
    Re: Recording Level Question 2016/09/28 11:37:04 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans
    I have got the older Yamaha 01V digital mixer.  I may be able to help.

I am not exactly sure what you are trying to do but I am assuming you want to be able to adjust the record level from a channel as it enters the DAW is that correct.

I presume you have got the digital connection between the mixer and your DAW. 

There are some tricky routings that this mixer can do and yes it may be possible.  I assume you have a microphone connected to a channel and have set the input gain etc correctly.  And you are using the sends to create the various monitor mixes etc.  And without touching the input levels etc you want to be able to control the level going into your DAW at the same time.

One possible method is in how you assign your channel destinations.  When you press the Pan/Routing button you could assign the channel to Buss 1 for example.  Leave it on Stereo as well. Then switch pages here until you get to the Buss masters page.  Here you can alter the Buss 1 master fader.  You can only lower this level though not increase it.  It is normally on full up.

On your Option IN/OUT page you can determine digitally what goes over from the mixer to the DAW here. Instead of selecting the channel select Buss 1 instead.  Now Buss 1 will be feeding your DAW. (which is not normally the case) You could use your Buss 1 master fader then to reduce the level to your DAW.

The 01V has 4 buses so you could do this with 4 sources at the same time.

Another option is inside your DAW but only if it can do it.  I use Studio One and they have a rather cool feature.  You can open up a page that shows you the incoming input channels.  (level meters)  So you are actually looking at the signals before they even arrive at the tracks for recording.  Plugins can be inserted here and effect the signal before it even arrives at the track.  Can you guys do this is in Sonar?  If so you could insert a volume control plug right there and have total control over the incoming track recording level.

What I discovered is that turning on input echo and sending that channel to a bus allows me to adjust the level per-recording and during recording.  Jeff the routing on the 01V is blowing my mind but it is very versatile, I am working on now how to send output from the DAW back into 01 to mix there and then send back into Plat.  I would love to take advantage of the compression and eq from 01 and use the plugins from the Plat for the best of both worlds.  In regards to the comments about Octa-Capture I bought the 01 because I wanted more inputs

www.jsuntylermusic.com
    Youtube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBWfLp0D4F0l_YWiQpN5AN_HbSpaIe8bk
    Sonar Platinum |ASUS Desktop PC|Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.6GHz|8 GM of Memory|64Bit|Yamaha 01v96i|Motu MK3 Ultralite not active|Roland Octa Capture not active|Motif XS7|Ravenscroft 275 VST|KOMPLETE 10
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Recording Level Question 2016/09/28 15:57:02 (permalink)
    The signal routing inside those mixers is pretty amazing I agree.  Just out of interest I have found that when you send buses from your DAW to the Yamaha digital mixer and sum them there even with no processing on them the overall image seems wider and has a little more depth to me.  I used to think I was imagining it but I have also read a recent article by the engineer who engineered James Taylor's latest CD said exactly the same thing.  It should not sound any different but it does for some reason. Try it and see.

I like the processors inside that desk too.  The EQ's and dynamics are very nice indeed and sound slightly different to me. So try leaving your buses alone, send them to that mixer and apply your buss processing there instead.

Also the built in time based processors are also very nice too.  I can set that compressor on the main stereo buss real nice too just for some very light compression and it also seems to make things sound rather nice as well.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1