Recording Newbie Questions =D

Author
michellecatssss
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2007/04/22 11:49:45 (permalink)

Recording Newbie Questions =D

hello everyone! i am new to computer recording so forgive my ignorance

i have cakewalk home studio 2002 as well as fl-studio on my pc. i went to guitar
center last night and purchased a usb midi controller so i wouldn't have to always
use the computer keyboard to enter beats, bass lines, etc.

well, when i hit a note on the controller there seems to be a bit of lag which makes
it almost impossible to record anything (unless i quantize it).

i guess the lag comes from all the other "crap" i have running on my pc (not to mention
how slow windows xp is).

so this brings me to my question... i have been looking online and i have noticed those
audio interface boxes (like the digidesign mbox 2). is that what these boxes are made
for? to help with the lag?

if this is indeed what i need to buy, can you recommend something that is relatively
inexpensive (let's say under $500).

more generally, what do i need to buy to start recording on my home pc?

thanks!!

michelle
post edited by michellecatssss - 2007/04/22 12:00:40

4 Replies Related Threads

DW_Mike
    Max Output Level: -6 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6907
    RE: Recording Newbie Questions =D 2007/04/22 14:40:44 (permalink)
    Yes an audio/Midi interface would be a really good idea. The sound cards that come pre installed with a PC are not the best to record with. As far as what you need all depends on what your wanting to record. If you want to use audio and MIDI make sure the interface can do both. Also decide how many inputs you want. FireWire connections are better then USB. I have a MOTU, but alot of people like RME, Presonus, Digidesign, Echo, M-audio (dont know about M-audio and vista drivers). but any of these would be fine.

Welcome to the forums, good luck, and have fun

Mike

Sonar X3 ~ Scarlett 18i6 ~ Home Build DAW  
    GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
    32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite (4x8) 
    2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
    1TB WD Black HDD @ 7200RPM 6Gb/s 64MB 
    Corsair H80i Liquid cooler 
    Noctua Silent Fans ~ 3x120mm ~ 1x140mm 
    Seasonic Platinum 760w PSU 
    Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Recording Newbie Questions =D 2007/04/22 15:10:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: michellecatssss
    well, when i hit a note on the controller there seems to be a bit of lag which makes
    it almost impossible to record anything (unless i quantize it).

i guess the lag comes from all the other "crap" i have running on my pc (not to mention
    how slow windows xp is).

the lag is actually because of something called audio latency. i won't bore you with a technical explanation but the problem is primarily with your soundcard. in home studio you can set the latency (lag time) to something lower but chances are your soundcard can't handle it and will start introducing clicks and pops into your recordings. i don't know how to tell you where that is in home studio but in SONAR you go to "option" then "audio..." and it's right there. you want a lower 'ms' setting to get a quicker response from your soundcard but like i said your built-in one may not go low enough without causing problems.

so this brings me to my question... i have been looking online and i have noticed those
    audio interface boxes (like the digidesign mbox 2). is that what these boxes are made
    for? to help with the lag?

that is part of it. the audio interface boxes and pro recording cards are built to higher standards than most other soundcards. they have better drivers which allow you to get less lag time. they also typically have better connections (1/4" balanced), don't come with a lot of unnecessary crapware, and are more heavily tested under programs like home studio, SONAR, cubase, etc.

if this is indeed what i need to buy, can you recommend something that is relatively
    inexpensive (let's say under $500).

if you tell us more about what you plan to record we can make better recommendations. as a generic recommendation though, i would start with the following:

soundcard: echo mia midi, $130
    mixer: soundcraft compact4 ($100) or if you can swing it a mackie 1202vlz pro ($300)
    cables: two pair of mogami 1/4" TRS (balanced) patch cables ($50)

as you can see $300 will get you the basics. you won't get a firewire interface (which are nice because you can move them from one computer to another easily) but you will get MIDI + 2 audio inputs and the mixer gives you lots of options for expanding later, like getting studio monitors (speakers for mixing), more instruments, and being able to directly monitor your audio recording (not MIDI unfortunately) without worrying about lag time on your soundcard.

if you never plan to record anything other than a MIDI keyboard you can skip the mixer. good luck and welcome to the forum

edit you can skip the cables if you don't need the mixer.
    post edited by jacktheexcynic - 2007/04/22 15:15:46

- jack the ex-cynic
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Recording Newbie Questions =D 2007/04/22 15:11:08 (permalink)
    oh and one more thing - the less crap you have installed on your PC the better things will run.

- jack the ex-cynic
    rchristiejr
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1342
    RE: Recording Newbie Questions =D 2007/04/27 09:19:15 (permalink)
    Check out www.musicxp.net

RFC JR
    Pure Desires~~

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1