Recording Problem

Author
HighVoltage1981
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2006/05/11 13:02:54 (permalink)

Recording Problem

Hey. I have just installed the Creative SoundBlaster soundcard onto my Gateway. Then, I loaded Home Studio. The soundcard works because when I plug the instrument into the line-in/mic jack, it is coming through the speakers. But, cakewalk isn't picking it up, so I can't record. I tried changing my recording options to line-in, microphone, and all that, and it still won't pick it up.

I noticed when i was installing Cakewalk, it asked me to pick a VST something or other, but there weren't any in the box, and I have no idea what VST means or is anyway. It said Cakewalk needs at least one VST whatever in order to work or something like that. Is this what my problem is? What is VST, where can I find it on computer, and if I don't have it, how can I go about getting it? Or, is my problem something different all together?

4 Replies Related Threads

electr1ck.ryan
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: Recording Problem 2006/05/11 14:35:16 (permalink)
    the vst thing shouldnt be a problem..

VST's are extra plug-in's (effects, soft synths etc.)

Is HS set up for your soundcard? check in "Options > Audio" make sure HS is using it..

did you arm a track for recording? click the little "R" button in the track window (on the left)

once you arm a track you can see if HS is picking it up by looking at the volume level.
    if the volume level isnt fluctuating then HS is not recognizing it....

open the volume control for the soundblaster, sometimes you just need to click a button or look at it..
    poke around. the answer is there somewhere.

-ryaN

~God Bless~
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: Recording Problem 2006/05/11 14:39:33 (permalink)
    On my SB card, the Line In and Mic In are two different things. Which is it?

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: Recording Problem 2006/05/11 20:07:18 (permalink)
    Go to Options-Audio-Drivers and make sure the SoundBlaster (what model?) is selected.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Recording Problem 2006/05/11 20:18:50 (permalink)
    What "instrument" are you refering to? If it is a guitar, the signal is very weak.
    To expand on what ryan said, go to Options>Audio>Drivers. Highlight all that appear in the Input drivers list.
    Make sure you have a valid input showing on the Audio track you are recording.
    Spend some time with the help files. You are in the most vertical part of the learning curve, but with some patience and lots of studying, you will get your bearings. It can get very frustrating, but hang in there. It levels off after a few weeks.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1