Recording Questions

Author
Nutty
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2056
2008/10/08 16:13:48 (permalink)

Recording Questions

On the project I am currently working on I have panned a few of the instruments to the right. For some reason everything is coming out the left side only. This hasn't happened in my other projects, so I don't know what I did or didn't do to cause this.

I wanted to work on the harmony for the chorus, so I decided to use the loop recording function. It worked great, but now I can't get rid of it (well some of it). When I'm at the end of the project and hit the button to go to the beginning, it goes to where the loop recording started, not the beginning o fthe project. I've turned the loop recording off. I even deleted all the tracks that came from those recordings. The main track had a blue triangle in the corner of the number, so I deleted it. I still can't get it to not reconize the loop recording starting point. Also when the project ends, it automatically goes back to the beginning of the loop section. Normally, it does not go back to the beginning of the project.

When I'm recording I always watch the vu meters to make sure I don' t hit red. However, on playback it shows the track hitting red. Sometimes I do increase the volume and trim or velocity to hear the track better. Will this cause it to go into the red or does it mean that my initial track did. When I turn the volume down, it does hit the red anymore but the top of the red section still has the bit of red to show clipping. So, I'm not sure if the tracks are okay or not.

That's it for this round!

Nutty /Annette
http://www.soundclick.com/atmmusic
Using: Sonar 8 Studio; Band in a Box; PreSonus Firebox; M-Audio Axiom 25; Mics: Audio Technica ATM610, MXL 990/991; M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 Reference Speakers and many guitars

5 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Recording Questions 2008/10/08 16:39:36 (permalink)
    Are the tracks set up for mono? check that...they need to be mono.

Turn up your speakers.... you don't wanna be in the red....
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2008/10/08 16:42:57

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Nutty
    RE: Recording Questions 2008/10/08 16:42:43 (permalink)
    Yes, once I realized that we had the choice of left, right and stereo, I always select the left or right and sometimes both depending on what I am recording. For example, I will use both inputs recording my acoustic guitars and sometimes vocals too.

Thanks.

Nutty /Annette
    Using: Sonar 8 Studio; Band in a Box; PreSonus Firebox; M-Audio Axiom 25; Mics: Audio Technica ATM610, MXL 990/991; M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 Reference Speakers and many guitars
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Recording Questions 2008/10/08 16:47:06 (permalink)
    I know it takes more resources, but i record on a stereo track for everything, it solves problems, and gives me more options

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Recording Questions 2008/10/08 17:21:53 (permalink)
    Go to the loop recording settings and change the start to 1:01:000, the start of the song.
    As you loop-recorded, each successive track adds to the total level of the track, the cumulative result could be clipping. Click the red clipping indication to make the red mark go away.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Nutty
    RE: Recording Questions 2008/10/08 17:32:35 (permalink)
    Thanks Robo and Greg. I hope the tracks are okay. I'll try setting the loop recordings back. It started going back to where the time bar (black line) is as well. No biggy I guess, but it is annoying.

This came up in a post the other day about the Melodyne software creating a stero track from a mono track. I just imported a file from Uno, in stero, but I split the tracks to see if they were actually stereo files (duplicates) The one track played from the left speaker and the other from the right speaker. But, I can't get my tracks to play from the right side, even though they are panned there. I'm confused .

EDIT: I was just playing through those UNO tracks and they both come out the left side in the headphones. So, I tried soloing both tracks together...all left side. If I solo them individually, they are one left side, one right side. Now I really confused.

Thanks.
    post edited by Nutty - 2008/10/08 17:38:23

Nutty /Annette
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1