Recording Vox and Acoustic simultaneously

Author
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
2007/05/02 12:56:20 (permalink)

Recording Vox and Acoustic simultaneously

I am hoping some of you can give me a little advice on recording vox and acoustic at the same time. I have tried getting this guy to let me record only the guitar first then add the vox in later, but he's doesn't hold tempo well and gets lost with what he's supposed to sing when he's not playing the part.

So I thought we'd just record him playing and singing at the same time. of course, that brings up the question of mic types and placement.

for mic'ing, I have the following available:
MXL 990 (LD condensor)
MXL 991 (SD condensor)
MXL 63M (LD condensor)
M-audio Nova (LD condensor)
DR-GX1 (dynamic instrument mic from AT)
DR-VX1 (dynamic vocal mic from AT)

Normally for recording acoustic only, I would use the 990/991 combo, placing the 990 near the sound hole, pointed slightly upward and off-axis, and the 991 pointed toward the 12th fret, also off-axis.

I'm thinking I should NOT try using THREE mics for this by adding the mic for vox, right? I'm sure I should use one of the LDC's for vox, but what should I use for the guitar and where should I place it?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.

12 Replies Related Threads

zungle
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2745
    RE: Recording Vox and Acoustic simultaneously 2007/05/02 14:10:04 (permalink)
    Beagle,

This is a little different from what you asked......

But here's what I (and many) do in this situation 99% of the time and have had good success.

Record your Singer/Player onto 2 mono scratch tracks......(what mics you use here will not matter as long as they capture the performance cleanly.)

That being said a mic with a cardiod pattern will lower your bleed levels

Vocals Track #1

Guitar track #2

Yes you will get a significant amount of bleed.............thats OK.

Have him or her focus on timing................

Now set up these scratch tracks for a headphone feed/monitor........

(The reason we recorded the scratch onto to 2 seperate tracks

was to give us monitoring flexibilty in our headhone cues.....

by flexibilty I mean volumes, Fx and panning etc.)

Now come back and have him re-record his parts seperately........with the scratch track.... the hope here is that the scratch track will be enough of a reference point musically that he can have the confidence to do it 1 part at a time.

You will probably want to feed him a bit of the metronome as well.

All the while you are working on this you may nicely try to point out that a certain amount of the recording quality is all about the performer and their studio technique's. This would be a good oppurtunity for him or her to work some of them out.

Good Luck.
    Beagle
    RE: Recording Vox and Acoustic simultaneously 2007/05/02 22:41:41 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input, zungle. I might try that, but I'm not sure if it will help. it's difficult just to keep him in time with a click track and getting him to sing along with his own guitar playing seems almost impossible, but if he hears his voice as well, that might work.

I'll also take other suggestions on mic placement if anyone else has any. I'm scheduled to record him again on Saturday.

zungle
    • Total Posts : 2745
    RE: Recording Vox and Acoustic simultaneously 2007/05/02 22:44:00 (permalink)
    Good Luck.
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Recording Vox and Acoustic simultaneously 2007/05/03 10:23:56 (permalink)
    Beagle,
    I like recording my vocals & acoustic at the same time. There's just something about capturing that energy while singing & playing guitar at once. I stick my SCD pretty close to the acoustic source where I think it sounds good, then my LCD near mouth level. I know that there's bleed and it doesn't give you the flexibility for total control on the vox or guitar in the mix. You compress or EQ the vox and it changes the guitar as well a bit. However, that's how they did it many years ago! Many bands have played around 1-2 mics back then. I'll soon be posting a song where I did just that. Just don't make fun of my voice. I used a shure sm81 on guitar & AKG c414 on vocals. You'll have fun, he-he.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    joeh20_444
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 865
    RE: Recording Vox and Acoustic simultaneously 2007/05/03 12:16:24 (permalink)
    I've used three mics for that application before (2 SD's on the acoustic, 1 LD on the vox) and it worked pretty well. The only thing is to make sure you're getting the tone you want from the micing, because there's going to be a LOT of bleed. It's just going to be a matter of experimentation.
    j boy
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: Recording Vox and Acoustic simultaneously 2007/05/03 12:46:08 (permalink)
    Best way to do this is use two mic's with figure-of-eight patterns, and position them such that the guitar signal is in the vocal mic's null zone, and the vocal is in the guitar mic's null zone. Ribbon mics work well for this since they naturally have a figure-of-eight pattern, but any multi-pattern condenser mic will work fine too.
    Beagle
    RE: Recording Vox and Acoustic simultaneously 2007/05/03 14:29:59 (permalink)
    larry, thanks a lot for the suggestions. that's really what I was expecting, but where would you start with the SDC to look for a good sound? near the sound hole or near the fret board?

hey, Rod! thanks for piping in! that's a surpriser, i wouldn't have thought that 3 mics would work very well. but one problem I have with your suggestion is that I only have 1 SDC, not 2. I have a dynamic instrument mic, but only 1 SDC. I'll experiment and see what happens.

j boy - thanks for the tips, but unfortunately, I don't have the equipment to work with that you're talking about. I don't have any mics with a figure 8 pattern, nor do I have ribbom mics, so thanks, but that won't really work for me.

lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Recording Vox and Acoustic simultaneously 2007/05/03 18:53:13 (permalink)
    Beagle,
    That's a loaded question, as every mic & guitar has a different " sweet spot". I place my SD about 4-6" away from the guitar, right where the neck joins the body, and pointed slighty towards the sound-hole. My Ibanez acoustic is a little bright sounding compared to my Taylor or Gibson, so this works well for this particular instrument. Remember, just moving that mic by about an inch will change the tone as well. I would also take into consideration that, when recoring vox & guitar at the same time, if the singer has a deeper sounding voice, I'd want a brighter sound on my guitar to blend in well, and vice-versa. I think in this scenario, the compromise will have to be focusing on the vox more than the acoustic, as it will be the primary sound. Pressure's on, heh?

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Recording Vox and Acoustic simultaneously 2007/05/03 20:12:31 (permalink)
    beagle, i've never done acoustic and vocals as a final cut (do it all the time for rough tracks though) but what you might want to try is one mic pointed up toward the singer and one further away to capture the guitar. you will get significant bleed no matter what you do but if the guy can pull it off the second mic further away will give you a good sense of depth (provided you have a good room sound). also unless he's a belter the guitar will probably be louder than him so close mic'ing the vocals will help offset that.

another thing i've done is an x-y with one SD condenser and one dynamic, typically with the condenser for vocals and the mic setup at head level. still not something i'd cut a final take with but might be worth a shot.

if you've got the mics for it (LD figure 8, SD) you could also try a mid-side setup and adjust the position for balance between vocals and guitar. you might not get enough meat on the guitar that way but if it's a dense mix you might not need it...

the final mix will really dictate what you can get away with. if it's a guitar/vocal solo, the near/far setup would probably work fine with a warm mic as the far mic and you'd get a more authentic sound. if it's a dense mix you can get away with concentrating on the vocals more. a sparser mix would be tougher.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Beagle
    RE: Recording Vox and Acoustic simultaneously 2007/05/03 21:40:38 (permalink)
    thanks for the tips, guys.

this is a friend and he's not a professional nor is this recording going to be demoed or sold. he has written some songs over the years on his guitar and wants to make sure they aren't as mortal as he is. I just want to do a decent job of recording for him in the circumstances that I've got.

Larry -thanx - I'll start with that configuration probably and move from there. I've not recorded acoustic very much at all, but I do realize that it will be experimentation to find a good sound.

Jack - no belter, just a low tenor, older gentleman who strums everything as he sings. I might try the 2nd mic further away, but my room is not great, so that may or may not work. the x-y with an SD and a dynamic sounds interesting - i probably would never have thought to try that.

I only have Cardiod pattern LDs, no F-8's, so the mid-side you're suggesting won't really work. thanks for the tip, tho for future reference.

I appreciate all the input. I'll post it in a couple of weeks after I get him recorded and let you guys hear it.

jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Recording Vox and Acoustic simultaneously 2007/05/03 23:05:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Beagle
    Jack - no belter, just a low tenor, older gentleman who strums everything as he sings. I might try the 2nd mic further away, but my room is not great, so that may or may not work. the x-y with an SD and a dynamic sounds interesting - i probably would never have thought to try that.

depending on his vocal tone the dynamic might work better on his vocals than the condenser - sometimes the less detail the better. if you can swing it, try getting a portable mic booth like those made by real traps (and i think there are others that are smaller and less expensive). this would cut down on the room sound and give you more to work with. i'm still saving up for mine but if you've got $250 burning a hole in your pocket...

- jack the ex-cynic
    Beagle
    RE: Recording Vox and Acoustic simultaneously 2007/05/04 08:14:16 (permalink)
    LOL! Oh yeah! I always have more gear that I need to buy!!!

I've built some GOBOs to help with the room, but they only help so much.

thanks again for the tips! I'll let you guys know how it works out tomorrow!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1